Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market (27967 Views)

Samsung Is Killing It With Innovation!! Check Out The New Crazy Galaxy A80!! / How Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus Beats Iphone X / Xiaomi Redmi 5 Review: A Worthy Mid-range Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:05pm On Nov 01, 2019
Over the years in Nigeria, Samsung has been one of those brands that build devices for premium users. Their flagship devices in the S series and Note series are highly rated among users in the Nigerian Android community. Considering the specifications their flagship smartphones come with, I wouldn't actually blame them for putting the devices at price range they usually sell it.

This year Samsung released about 5-6 premium devices - Samsung Galaxy S 10, Samsung Galaxy S 10 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S10e (This is the smallest and cheapest version of the Samsung Galaxy Series), Samsung Galaxy S10 5G (The 5G variant of the S Series devices), Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus.

All these devices cost between N100,000- N350,000 depending on the variant you choose to buy. If Samsung had decided to stick with the usual yearly line up they would still make money, they're a big company and it's quite easy for them to make huge sales. However, Samsung decided to enter the mid-range smartphone segment that has been dominated by the Transsion boys for a while (By Transsion boys - I mean Tecno, Infinix and Itel) . This move has disrupted the market massively.

Transsion Holdings business model is quite easy to notice if you are very observant - Itel devices handle the entry-level smartphones for the lower class of the economy, while Tecno and Infinix build devices for the middle class.

The purchasing power of the middle-class all together trumps the ones of both the elites and low-class part of the economy, giving Transsion a lot of customers to push their products to and the business model worked extremely well for them till Samsung, Xiaomi and Nokia came into the picture.

Samsung, Xiaomi and Nokia are dragging the community away from Tecno and Infinix because of two main reasons

1.Tecno and Infinix suck at sending updates : There's nothing customers love more than constant updates, even if it's not a full OS upgrade, minor software updates gives users a very subtle impression that the brand still knows their device exists and is working to improve it. The Transsion boys really suck at this.

2.Tecno and Infinix aren't totally innovative: When it comes to design aesthetics you would agree with me that there hasn't been any mind-blowing design from these two brands. All they do is take cues from other brands and add minor design changes.

The difference between the brands are quite obvious. I know you're judging me for comparing the transsion boys to global brands but I believe they can do better. For example only the Tecno Spark 3 Pro was confirmed to receive Android 10 and it's still in beta - You can access that on Tecno's page by googling "Tecno Spark 3 Pro Android Q beta program". That's one device out of over 20 other recent ones out there they confirmed is getting the update and like I always say -That sucks.

Samsung on the other hand is taking advantage of the fact that they are more popular to stay ahead of Xiaomi and Nokia. I was talking to a friend about this some days ago and he made some very interesting points.

1.Most people are skeptical of using Xiaomi because of the "Chinko" factor

2.Nokia on the other hand just came back to the market after their failed partnership with Microsoft and only extreme loyalists would go back to them. However, Nokia would sell more in Nigeria than Xiaomi because of their previous reputation.

On my own part I feel the "Chinko" factor is a misconception. Xiaomi devices are awesome, the Android OS running on MIUI is amazing and it's one of the best I've seen so far. However, Xiaomi would have to battle that while Samsung would be on a cruise in the market.

Samsung's A Series is their response to the mid-range segment and boy are they working wonders. The smallest device in the lineup the Galaxy A10 has 2GB RAM , an Exynos Processor and 32GB of internal storage and the device costs less than N40,000.

Samsung has literally a device on every price range from 36,000 - 120,000 naira. Here's a list of devices on their lineup.

Samsung Galaxy A10 & A10s

Samsung Galaxy A20 & A20s

Samsung Galaxy A30 & A30s

Samsung Galaxy A50 & A50s

Samsung Galaxy A70 & A70s

Samsung Galaxy A80

Samsung Galaxy A90

Samsung released 12 phones covering literally every reasonable price range in a space of one year and the phones have been a hit. I use a Samsung device and I've received updates more than 4 times in less than 4 months.

Updates lets users enjoy their phones for as long as they want and only upgrade when they want to, Transsion's business model of refusing to push constant updates so customers would buy new phones isn't acceptable and if care isn't taken, they'll lose a lot of customers to Samsung and the new boys in the Nigerian smartphone market.

Like my friend says

http:///s7e01f13e191101en_ng

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Carmit(m): 7:08pm On Nov 01, 2019
This post is very very on point.
Check throughout Nigeria these days....more and more people are opting for mid range Samsung smartphones.
And honestly, I think infinix, tecno and itel have overstayed their welcome.
They have become very boring.

122 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Abiodunspectre(m): 7:25pm On Nov 01, 2019
TECNO has registered their brand in the heart of Nigerians. There's nothing Samsung can do to change that.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Krak(m): 7:55pm On Nov 01, 2019
Abiodunspectre:
TECNO has registered their brand in the heart of Nigerians. There's nothing Samsung can do to change that.

Nokia and Blackberry said the same thing years ago. Where are they today?

193 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
Very nice article. Transsion is in trouble for sure

10 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Ovie56(m): 9:03pm On Nov 01, 2019
Anyway Majority of Samsung phones sales worldwide are in the mid range, the flagship fails to compete with apple every year in terms of sales, back to the topic Nigerians are now realizing the sub par product Transsion is pushing out but still it'll take years to establish a foothold in Nigeria market as Transsion has.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by acenazt: 9:35pm On Nov 01, 2019
In all honesty,this is the truth and nothing but the truth. My Nokia 6 of 2017 still beating tecnos of 2019

54 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by MrBONE2(m): 9:43pm On Nov 01, 2019
Abiodunspectre:

grin

28 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by skywalker240(m): 11:47pm On Nov 01, 2019
Yeah, i agree with you on this one.
Transsion lost it when they refused to join the moving train.

17 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by 9jayes: 7:21am On Nov 02, 2019
I have never for once used Tecno, either LG, Samsung or iPhone.
Nairaland should create a VIP Section for IPhone and Samsung users like us, mixing us with Itel, Techno & Infinix users is not fair at all.�����

Btw, I buy and sell all kinds of funds at a juicy rate see my signature.

21 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by iammo(m): 7:22am On Nov 02, 2019

Samsung is ten times better than the fake ass tecno and infinix fraudsters, techno and infinix makers need to be prosecuted by SON for scamming people... thier phones are preloaded with harmfull softwares that makes the phone run very slow after some months, or the board just packoff without any excuse

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by LOGOBELT: 7:22am On Nov 02, 2019
That's why I love Samsung but I no wan leave my Windows 10 mobile phone undecided

Meanwhile, is your Laptop faulty? Let's fix it for you. Do you need Laptop Chargers/Adapter or Cables? We sell. Check my signature for contact

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by PastorConnect(m): 7:22am On Nov 02, 2019
really

Meanwhile, Get Original Chargers and Adapter for laptop, POS, Printer and many more, check my signature for contact.

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Hoodbilonia: 7:23am On Nov 02, 2019
Everything samsung gave me a smile
No need to check imei
Cos samsung is top notch,be it bluetooth speaker,home theater,anything electronic. Samsung na boss. Original only

18 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by ominilongest(m): 7:25am On Nov 02, 2019
o boy
I just get one Samsung s7
d camera beats canon 12 or 24 or whatever
damn
Samsung is bae grin

25 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Jasen1(m): 7:25am On Nov 02, 2019
IPhone x.
Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by Opistorincos(m): 7:25am On Nov 02, 2019
No be only take over, na take under. Have you seen the number of people using Xiaomi phones?

38 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by AgreatMan: 7:27am On Nov 02, 2019
Tecno was not bad until they got overconfident and greedy and started making phones of over 100k grin

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by ADMAF(m): 7:28am On Nov 02, 2019
Ovie56:
Anyway Majority of Samsung phones sales worldwide are in the mid range, the flagship fails to compete with apple every year in terms of sales, back to the topic Nigerians are now realizing the sub par product Transsion is pushing out but still it'll take years to establish a foothold in Nigeria market as Transsion has.
Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by ityP(m): 7:29am On Nov 02, 2019
Xiaomi is actually going to do more exploits than Samsung in Naija. The number of people switching to Xiaomi is alarming

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by allthingsgood: 7:30am On Nov 02, 2019
Op how much Samsung pay u for this

3 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by DonBenny77(m): 7:31am On Nov 02, 2019
Abiodunspectre:
Story I'm one of those who dumped Tecno for Samsung this year and it's been a wonderful experience. Sometimes I feel glad my Tecnco was stolen.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by COZA(m): 7:31am On Nov 02, 2019
My Samsung A10 over any infinix/techno rubbish anyday anytime

11 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by nototribalist: 7:31am On Nov 02, 2019
Thank God for OPPO, Infinix and co, big brands like Apple, Samsung and Huawei would have make us remain in 3310 Nokia.

Abeg make we ring bell for OPPO and Infinix , Op dey work for Samsung mobile.

We are wiser now

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by allthingsgood: 7:32am On Nov 02, 2019
In my opinion tecno will still defeat Samsung in d midrange series. Samsung already established itself as d major competitor wit apple. U can't now be fighting everybody in d market for space or u will end up like nokia

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by philsbaba: 7:33am On Nov 02, 2019
Huawei is taking over... Who be Samsung in Nigeria �

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by kelvinUchiha(m): 7:33am On Nov 02, 2019
As Efcc dey arrest boys now i go come buy phone of 350000 say wetin happen

1 Like

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by edoairways: 7:33am On Nov 02, 2019
Abiodunspectre:
Yeah Samsung need to push harder because many Nigerians are sensitive to price

5 Likes

Re: How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market by sylve11: 7:34am On Nov 02, 2019
sticking to Samsung smart phones till 2099...... kiss cool

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Get Etisalat Data Plan.. 2gb For N2000 / Recommemded Ucbrowser Add-ons To Download / Why You Didn't Receive Your Own Free 1gb From Mtn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.