Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,377 members, 7,800,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia (5662 Views)

APC Battles For Relevance In Southeast / Fayose Blasts Obasanjo For Always Begging For Political Favours / What The Igbos Need To Do Now To Improve Their Relevance In The Next Government! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by igbobuigbo: 2:04am On Nov 15, 2010
http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=23809
Igalas plead for political relevance in Abia

By Ben Duru Correspondent, Umuahia

Igala indigenes resident in Abia State have called on Governor Theodore Orji to extend political appointments currently been enjoyed by other ethnic groups in the state to them in the interest of national unity.

According to the Onu Igala of Abia State, Alhaji Usman Mohammed, it is their desire to benefit and get involved in development activities in the state, since they contribute to the state’s revenue.

Mohammed, who commended Orji’s administration for encouraging peaceful co-existence that had enabled Igala people from Benue State to thrive in their different endeavours, said Igbo people had been accommodating to them.

The traditional ruler, who said the political appointment is capable of giving the people a sense of belonging to contribute more to the socio-economic development of the state, added that the Igalas are brothers to their neighbours and from Middle-belt of the country and not core northerners as some people think.

Mohammed said that Igala people have a long historical link with Ndigbo, adding that Enugu State shares boundaries with the Igala.

“We will love to contribute to all what the state government is doing towards the development the state because if the place you live is peaceful and prosperous, you too will live in peace and be prosperous. We want government to involve us in development activities,” he said.

On the planned Igala Day celebration scheduled to hold in Umuahia on November 28, the traditional ruler said the occasion would attract state government attention on issues concerning the people and give awards to deserving personalities who have contributed to the socio-economic development of the state.

Among those already penciled down for the award include the Abia State Correspondent of Tribune newspapers Biola Azeez, among other notable personalities.

The traditional ruler, who also pledged support and cooperation of his people for Governor Orji’s 2011 governorship re-election bid, added that it is a way to reciprocate the good gesture of the governor towards their peaceful stay in the state.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by igbobuigbo: 2:05am On Nov 15, 2010
I was of the opinion that igboland is unsafe for Igbos, let alone for non-indigenes. Apparently the press is hyping up stories.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by EzeUche0(m): 2:23am On Nov 15, 2010
I did not know that there were any Igala indigene in Abia State. I learn something new each day. I know there are Ibibio indigene though.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by igbobuigbo: 2:29am On Nov 15, 2010
EzeUche0:

I did  not know that there were any Igala indigene in Abia State. I learn something new each day. I know there are Ibibio indigene though.

There are all sorts of people in Abia especially Aba: whites, Indians, lebanese, hausa, yoruba, igala, ibibio, ogoni, etc. They are simply residents just as Igbos reside in other places.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by chyz(m): 2:32am On Nov 15, 2010
EzeUche0:

I did  not know that there were any Igala indigene in Abia State. I learn something new each day. I know there are Ibibio indigene though.

There aren't. as you read on in the article you can see that the first line was a typo. they are simply asking for positions in the administration because they believe that since they have been residents there for a while and contributed to its economy that they should be allowed a positions.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by EzeUche0(m): 2:47am On Nov 15, 2010
igbobuigbo:

There are all sorts of people in Abia especially Aba: whites, Indians, lebanese, hausa, yoruba, igala, ibibio, ogoni, etc. They are simply residents just as Igbos reside in other places.

No I am talking about indigene. . . Not if they reside in that state.

chyz:

There aren't. as you read on in the article you can see that the first line was a typo. they are simply asking for positions in the administration because they believe that since they have been residents there for a while and contributed to its economy that they should be allowed a positions.

I read on. . . Made me sick how they want to reelect T.A. Orji.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by igbobuigbo: 2:49am On Nov 15, 2010
EzeUche0:

No I am talking about indigene. . . Not if they reside in that state.

I read on. . . Made me sick how they want to reelect T.A. Orji.

So where did you read from the article that there are indigenes of Abia who are not Igbos?
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by EzeUche0(m): 2:51am On Nov 15, 2010
igbobuigbo:

So where did you read from the article that there are indigenes of Abia who are not Igbos?

The first line Mr. Igbo [b]BU [/b]Igbo. . .  undecided
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by chyz(m): 2:59am On Nov 15, 2010
EzeUche0:

The first line Mr. Igbo BU [/b]Igbo. . .  undecided

igbobuigbo:

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/uploads/maps/stateMaps/images/a7e75c34b5e93fb0da5275a93b039e682193ce0b.jpg

[b]The size of non-igbos tho is inflated however these are the groups that are indigenous.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by EzeUche0(m): 3:02am On Nov 15, 2010
chyz:

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/uploads/maps/stateMaps/images/a7e75c34b5e93fb0da5275a93b039e682193ce0b.jpg

The size of non-igbos tho is inflated however these are the groups that are indigenous.

I knew the Ibibio and Ekoi. That is why I was surprised when I heard Igala.

My very own community had plenty of Ibibios who have been there for centuries.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by igbobuigbo: 3:02am On Nov 15, 2010
EzeUche0:

The first line Mr. Igbo [b]BU [/b]Igbo. . .  undecided
Below is what the first line says. How does that mean they are Igbos?

Igala indigenes resident in Abia State have called on Governor Theodore Orji to extend political appointments currently been enjoyed by other ethnic groups in the state to them in the interest of national unity.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by EzeUche0(m): 3:04am On Nov 15, 2010
igbobuigbo:

I think you are confusing yourself.

I said I never knew that Igala were indigene to Abia. And they are not.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by igbobuigbo: 3:04am On Nov 15, 2010
chyz:

The size of non-igbos tho is inflated however these are the groups that are indigenous.

Your map is 100% flawed. It says Ikwuano LGA is Ibibio. That is more than laughable.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by igbobuigbo: 3:05am On Nov 15, 2010
EzeUche0:

I think you are confusing yourself.

I said I never knew that Igala were indigene to Abia. And they are not.

The first line says Igala indigenes resident in Abia. How does that statement mean they are indigenes of Abia?
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by chyz(m): 3:05am On Nov 15, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Your map is 100% flawed. It says Ikwuano LGA is Ibibio. That is more than laughable.

thats why i said what i said in the bolded.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by EzeUche0(m): 3:06am On Nov 15, 2010
chyz:

thats why i said what i said in the bolded.

This guy is not reading properly.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by chyz(m): 3:09am On Nov 15, 2010
igbobuigbo:

The first line says Igala indigenes resident in Abia. How does that statement mean they are indigenes of Abia?

I think the argument is coming from the typo and bad skills of the writer. It should have said "Igala indigenes resident in Abia".
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by chyz(m): 3:11am On Nov 15, 2010
igbobuigbo:

When he said Igbo BU Igbo, he was referring to your name.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by igbobuigbo: 3:20am On Nov 15, 2010
Ezeuche and Chyz:

Looks like both of you have problem with okwu bekee because there is absolutely no error in the statement Igala indigenes resident in Abia. It simply means indigenes of Igala resident in Abia. Self explanatory.
It is like saying Nigerian citizens resident in California, no?
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by chyz(m): 3:30am On Nov 15, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Ezeuche and Chyz:

Looks like both of you have problem with okwu bekee because there is absolutely no error in the statement Igala indigenes resident in Abia. It simply means indigenes of Igala resident in Abia. Self explanatory.
It is like saying Nigerian citizens resident in California, no?

It is incorrect, 1. because Igala or Igalaland is not a country or even separated from Nigeria, 2. because no parts of Igala land is in Abia.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by igbobuigbo: 3:32am On Nov 15, 2010
chyz:

It is incorrect, 1. because Igala or Igalaland is not a country or even separated from Nigeria, 2. because no parts of Igala land is in Abia.

What is the definition of indigene again? Now you are getting me confused. Note that indigeneship is a big issue in Nigeria
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by chyz(m): 3:46am On Nov 15, 2010
igbobuigbo:

What is the definition of indigene again? Now you are getting me confused. Note that indigeneship is a big issue in Nigeria

in·dig·e·nous

   /ɪnˈdɪdʒənəs/ Show Spelled[in-dij-uh-nuhs] Show IPA

–adjective
originating in and characteristic of a particular region or country; native (often fol. by to ): the plants indigenous to Canada; the indigenous peoples of southern Africa.
innate; inherent; natural (usually fol. by to ): feelings indigenous to human beings.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by igbobuigbo: 3:51am On Nov 15, 2010
chyz:

in·dig·e·nous

   /ɪnˈdɪdʒənəs/ Show Spelled[in-dij-uh-nuhs] Show IPA

–adjective
originating in and characteristic of a particular region or country; native (often fol. by to ): the plants indigenous to Canada; the indigenous peoples of southern Africa.
innate; inherent; natural (usually fol. by to ): feelings indigenous to human beings.

Taking your number one definition, dont you see that the journalist was correct to say Igala indigenes (that is, Nigerians from a particular region of Nigeria namely Igala) living (resident) in Abia?
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by chyz(m): 3:53am On Nov 15, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Taking your number one definition, dont you see that the journalist was correct to say Igala indigenes (that is, Nigerians from a particular region of Nigeria namely Igala) living (resident) in Abia?

They are not native to Abia, that is what i am saying so there was no need to have even included "indigenes" in the description.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by igbobuigbo: 3:56am On Nov 15, 2010
chyz:

They are not native to Abia, that is what i am saying so there was no need to have even included "indigenes" in the description.

But they are native to Igala, another region of Nigeria, and the journalist so distinguished them from real Abia natives. Cant you see that?
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by chyz(m): 6:50am On Nov 15, 2010
igbobuigbo:

But they are native to Igala, another region of Nigeria, and the journalist so distinguished them from real Abia natives. Cant you see that?

I feel where ur coming from.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by MrDuerulu(m): 1:19pm On Nov 15, 2010
What's the big deal about this post. I have Igbo and yoruba classmates who benefited from Adamawa state scholarship cos their parents have been residing in the state for ages. Some few yrs ago an Igboman, christopher, was elected councillor in one of the Jalingo, Township ward. Former governor of sokoto Attahiru Bafarawa appointed an Igboman as one of his special advisers. I am lonking forward to the day they so called non-indigienes will be appointed as commisioners and elected as local govt chairmen etc especially in states like Lagos and Kano where these pple are contributing to the development of the state ''if not even'' more than the so called native.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by Undispu3rd(m): 1:39pm On Nov 15, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Mohammed, who commended Orji’s administration for encouraging peaceful co-existence that had enabled Igala people from Benue State to thrive in their different endeavours, said Igbo people had been accommodating to them

This report is politically cooked there are no Igalas in Benue State.

A journalist that is busy collecting money to publish politically motivated story will never have the chance for thorough investigation of issues. Stop misleading the people.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by Ayowumie(m): 1:51pm On Nov 15, 2010
They want to contribute to what T. orji is doing my foot. . . .
Have they finished contributing to wat Idris is doing in Kogi state?

They are all thieves, you dont have to be a political appointee to contribute towards meaningful towards any developmental effort
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by Donmeca(m): 2:04pm On Nov 15, 2010
EzeUche0:

I did not know that there were any Igala indigene in Abia State. I learn something new each day. I know there are Ibibio indigene though.

I'm beginning to think dat u don't read well. . . u're always in hurry to post ur lope-sided comments. Who said they were Abia people? they are igalas living in Abia State just like u're Igbo living in God-knows-where. Guess I shud pass all ur posts thru a looking glass all d time. Hausa and Yoruba people are made SAs and d likes in almost all the Igbo states so y not Igalas, who are co-settlers. . .that's their point. They are not claiming land ownership.
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by jason12345: 2:13pm On Nov 15, 2010
Mr Duerulu:

What's the big deal about this post. I have Igbo and yoruba classmates who benefited from Adamawa state scholarship cos their parents have been residing in the state for ages. Some few yrs ago an Igboman, christopher, was elected councillor in one of the Jalingo, Township ward. Former governor of sokoto Attahiru Bafarawa appointed an Igboman as one of his special advisers. I am lonking forward to the day they so called non-indigienes will be appointed as commisioners and elected as local govt chairmen etc especially in states like Lagos and Kano where these pple are contributing to the development of the state ''if not even'' more than the so called native.

An igbo man has already been appointed commissioner in lagos
Re: Igalas Plead For Political Relevance In Abia by ManofGod3(m): 2:34pm On Nov 15, 2010
There is fire on the mountain. Everyone wants to be recognized in the government of Abia, are Abians recognized in other states?
Orji Uzo Kalu built Mosque in the heart of Abia State for muslims, how many churches have christians built in the heart of the northern states? Most of our churches are denied C. of Os to prevent them from owing lands.
It takes a spiritual man, spiritual eyes to understand spiritual things.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gej's Message To South Africa / 'Sunday Oliseh Insulted My Late Mum Before Stripping Me Of My Captaincy':Enyeama / What Exactly Is The Purpose Of The LNSC??? (Lagos Neighbourhood Safety Corps)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.