Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. (16988 Views)

Anambra State Fire Service(photos) / Ugwuanyi Hands Over Five Innoson Fire Fighting Trucks To State Fire Service / Onitsha Fire: Governor Obiano Visits Anambra State Fire Service Command, (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by naptu2: 1:41am On Nov 07, 2019
Debunking fake news: Lagos State Fire Service did not use buckets to quench the Balogun Market fire.

I posted this yesterday.

naptu2:

Here's a summary of the issue.

For some weird reason, some Nigerians love to post bad information about their country. What's worse is that the bad information that these people post is usually either false, or misinterpreted due to their ignorance (remember the thread about mounted police, grass and trucks?)

Most times these people do not realise that the nonsense that they post will have an effect on them.

There was a fire at Balogun Market yesterday. The Lagos State Fire Service, the Union Bank Fire Service and Julius Berger turned out to battle the blaze. They used water cannons, snorkels and chemicals to tackle the conflagration.

However, the headline news to some crazy people was that the Lagos State Fire Service was using buckets of water to fight the fire.

Is this true?

Of course not!

This nonsense began with a video of a man on a rooftop. The man was pouring buckets of water on the burning building (a very dangerous act). It looked like the man was wearing some sort of uniform, but he was not wearing the uniform of the Lagos State Fire Service or the Federal Fire Service.

The man might have been a private security guard who was trying to prevent the fire from spreading to the building that he was guarding, I don't know, but he was not wearing a uniform of any of the government services and he was certainly not wearing the uniform of either the state or federal fire service, but the news that went viral was that the Lagos State Fire Service was fighting the fire with buckets of water.

And now, a notorious British shock jock and racist has picked on that story and told people that criticise British fire services to thank God that they are not in Nigeria. This is accompanied by a video of the man throwing buckets of water at the fire.

I'll post videos and pictures tonight.

There was a fire at Balogun Market on Tuesday. It was a huge blaze.

A video of a man that was throwing buckets of water at the fire soon went viral. The people that shared and spread the video claimed that the man was a member of the Lagos State Fire Service.

Here is the video and pictures of the man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyXX4wk6hTU

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523070_manbalogun2_jpeg324da549db21d950b64dd9ec9da2bf76

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523072_2019110614_06_34_jpegb7e003a8aa59d606824e6b3b897ba2f7

Reactions

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523229_2019110701_34_50_jpeg6f1f3f9abc91c7fd6baa20a73d9481b2

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523230_2019110701_35_28_jpeg2a91bd689e6e9b0c537cf7f72db9e44f

However, the man is clearly not a member of either the Lagos State Fire Service or the Federal Fire Service. It appears that the man is wearing some kind of uniform, but that is not the uniform of either the Lagos State Fire Service or the Federal Fire Service. In fact, it does not look like the uniform of any government agency. The man might just be a private security guard who was trying to protect his building.

This is the uniform of the Lagos State Fire Service.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523073_lagfire_jpegdc86adb77a6b6f01f80c927d3fa34793

And this is what they wear when they are fighting a fire.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523077_3462230img9846jpeg03c57985053d4b0ec4f6be4bd1ee4017_jpeg_jpeg2ebc18039bf5430d0404673f4af03e32

These are Lagos State Fire Service officers during the clean-up operation after the fire at Balogun Market.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523078_lagfire3_jpeg728eb096230f246205e69f5f38f76fa4

This is the uniform of the Federal Fire Service.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523079_fedfire_jpegd66f778a4757c77c652b6968d08bc148

And this is what they wear when they are fighting a fire.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523080_fedfire1_jpeg03d39e98dd1136620a3633cffa3848e4

These are Lagos State Fire Service fire fighters fighting the fire at Balogun Market with water cannons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jRlJ8Y9Ihg

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523085_canon_jpeg2c7d08cba78e8b2a761ba67f3c70195c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nr4hK60Ek0

Snorkels

There was a massive fire at NET Building in 1983 (I was on Broad Street on that day). The building was consumed by the fire. NET Building was the tallest building in West Africa at the time. The investigative panel that was set up afterwards recommended that a snorkel should be bought for the Federal Fire Service. A snorkel was bought and it was kept at the Federal Fire Service headquarters on Campbell Street. However, that snorkel had broken down by the time of the Nepa Building fire in 1990.

Union Bank built a new headquarters building in the late 1990s and it was acclaimed as the tallest or second tallest building in Nigeria (depending on how you classify buildings). They knew that they needed to protect the building, so they bought a snorkel for the Union Bank Fire Service.

The administration of Governor Babatunde Fashola also bought several snorkels for the Lagos State Fire Service and one of the snorkels was kept at the new Onikan Fire Station.

These snorkels were used to fight the fire at Balogun Market and here are videos and pictures of the snorkels in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k73utR3BOsQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XhocNsE9TY

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523087_download_jpeg_jpeg54bde0b5320b19a098d0a382a7482522

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523086_fnietczhv8im2ha_jpege7ad2b01f0f92bd2725b622276a450d6

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523088_unionsnorkel_jpega2bbc6b6000c21d572dd5a40929414f4

However, the infamous British racist and shock jock, Katie Hopkins had picked up on the viral story of a Nigerian fire service fighting a fire with buckets of water and she tweeted this.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10523071_img20191106wa0007_jpeg2fab314e17f1fc24bb7b4bcdb189cd1d

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by naptu2: 2:20am On Nov 07, 2019

18 Likes

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by seunmsg(m): 4:17am On Nov 07, 2019
People prefer to believe the negative news anyway. Several videos of Lagos fire fighters and others battling the fire are available online but some people preferred to happily trend the video of a lone man using bucket to pour water on the fire.

It’s easier and more acceptable to sell the story of a broken down Nigeria where nothing works than to sell a story of a Nigeria where government agencies actually responded to handle an emergency.

As for Hopkins, she should fvck off with her racist opinion. We all saw how badly the incompetent British fire fighters handled the greenfell tower where over 70 people lost their lives.

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by alonzoiv(m): 4:23am On Nov 07, 2019
A quicker response to emergencies would have sufficed , than this long kind of explanation. Nigeria, my Nigeria.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by NwaAmaikpe: 4:47am On Nov 07, 2019
shocked

Very timely correction,
I was abashed and in a state of utmost flabbergastation when that story made the rounds.
Though used to it, it still hurt a few nerves that my country of birth was the broth for a mediocre journalist's mockery.

Considering how much we've developed there, I knew there was no way a whole Lagos state could not combat a mere fire.
Thank you for this Naptu2.
While I commend your efforts at elucidating the incident, we should not lose sight of the true moral of that metaphorical picture.

There is a wild fire burning.
Insecurity is rife, hunger is roaming, poverty is growing, disillusionment is dominant in the citizen's lives, the roads are in deplorable states, salaries are not prompt, most 'take-home' pays will only take you home sad yet prices of goods and services continue to skyrocket.
You can not come out to protest against bad leadership or demand for better without repercussions.
It is worse now because you can't do that either on the social media.

NwaAmaikpe will sit still when within sight of the crosshairs because I hate to imagine another pendulum making Mama Ramotu moan while I await the acceptance of a bail perfection.

But the truth is,
Our homestead is on fire, we are burning, our future is threatened by flames.
But it's the helpless citizens that are using buckets to put out the fire.

The roads are graded and maintained by landlord associations, electricity is self-provided through generators, private bore-holes are the only source of water in homes.
Tuitions are handled by parents and wards; charms, mantles and vigilantes are relied on for security;
Affordable housing provision is self-sought, folks now live in Eleko when they work in Iju.

The picture might not be a complete reflection of the response to the Lagos fire.
But if it is not a perfect illustration of the present helplessness and self-reliance of the citizens, then I wonder what could be.

123 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by justtoodark: 4:55am On Nov 07, 2019
it was so strange....at the other thread,i got so much likes for just askin who she is....

odd....
Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by justtoodark: 4:59am On Nov 07, 2019
but that woman ugly sha....

4 Likes

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by khallebb(m): 5:20am On Nov 07, 2019
seunmsg:
People prefer to believe the negative news anyway. Several videos of Lagos fire fighters and others battling the fire are available online but some people preferred to happily trend the video of a lone man using bucket to pour water on the fire.

It’s easier and more acceptable to sell the story of a broken down Nigeria where nothing works than to sell a story of a Nigeria where government agencies actually responded to handle an emergency.

As for Hopkins, she should fvck off with her racist opinion. We all saw how badly the incompetent British fire fighters handled the greenfell tower where over 70 people lost their lives.
An average Nigerian is ready to hear bad news than good news.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by morikee: 6:20am On Nov 07, 2019
Na wow o
Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by aanuoluwami14(f): 6:21am On Nov 07, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by otabuko(m): 6:21am On Nov 07, 2019
Whatever they used as long as the fire was quenched.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by Dwaynestefan: 6:22am On Nov 07, 2019
Those persons saying that man using buckets is a member of The Fire Services must be daft or sick in the head

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by moscobabs(m): 6:22am On Nov 07, 2019
We know the video is fake

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by TOPCRUISE(m): 6:25am On Nov 07, 2019
Could it be possible that the man made it out of the building. If he makes it, he should be arrested for attempted suicide

5 Likes

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by joelag: 6:27am On Nov 07, 2019
Saw this yesterday online.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by RealLordZeus(m): 6:27am On Nov 07, 2019
Can a sensible person tag that stupid Briton

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by toprealman: 6:28am On Nov 07, 2019
justtoodark:
but that woman ugly sha....
That's her coping mechanism. Bullies always have low self esteem and their heart is filled with nothing else but hatred.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by Umarzy(m): 6:28am On Nov 07, 2019
Okay. Noted
Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by Innoxxacs: 6:29am On Nov 07, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Very timely correction,
I was abashed and in a state of utmost flabbergastation when that story made the rounds.
Though used to it, it still hurt a few nerves that my country of birth was the broth for a mediocre journalist's mockery.

Considering how much we've developed there, I knew there was no way a whole Lagos state could not combat a mere fire.
Thank you for this Naptu2.
While I commend your efforts at elucidating the incident, we should not lose sight of the true moral of that metaphorical picture.

There is a wild fire burning.
Insecurity is rife, hunger is roaming, poverty is growing, disillusionment is dominant in the citizen's lives, the roads are in deplorable states, salaries are not prompt, most 'take-home' pays will only take you home sad yet prices of goods and services continue to skyrocket.
You can not come out to protest against bad leadership or demand for better without repercussions.
It is worse now because you can't do that either on the social media.

NwaAmaikpe will sit still when within sight of the crosshairs because I hate to imagine another pendulum making Mama Ramotu moan while I await the acceptance of a bail perfection.

But the truth is,

The roads are graded and maintained by landlord associations, electricity is self-provided through generators, private bore-holes are the only source of water in homes.
Tuitions are handled by parents and wards; charms, mantles and vigilantes are relied on for security;
Affordable housing provision is self-sought, folks now live in Eleko when they work in Iju.

The picture might not be a complete reflection of the response to the Lagos fire.
But if it is not a perfect illustration of the present helplessness of the citizens, then I wonder what could be.
well said

6 Likes

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by Chubhie: 6:31am On Nov 07, 2019
grin grin grin
Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by Introvertedmarc: 6:31am On Nov 07, 2019
So what caused the fire.... fire fighters usually come up with verdicts on what triggered the fire.
Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by adonismuller(m): 6:31am On Nov 07, 2019
If all these fire services were there how come the fire was not put out? Or is it not fire they went there to put out?

An eye witness confirmed that all the goods in his shop were burnt to the ground and the fire service people came after the fire has done all necessary damages, same thing happened in Onitsha, how come they always come after the deed has been done?

They should continue mocking Nigeria till They do things right

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by ebicon(f): 6:32am On Nov 07, 2019
That is brassas , the whole building is full of imported fabrics , Waoh !!! , I real real hope that woman has insurance sad

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by Dobson43: 6:33am On Nov 07, 2019
sad
Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by Bola146(f): 6:34am On Nov 07, 2019
I wasn't there, so I don't know how true is it
Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by anonimi: 6:34am On Nov 07, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked
But the truth is,

But if it is not a perfect illustration of the present helplessness of the citizens, then I wonder what could be.

Do we really need government if they do nothing of their job

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2593131_capture20150516070937_jpeg0e2b405458ec0cf013c5152373f19a5e

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3929046_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by princemillla(m): 6:35am On Nov 07, 2019
Lol people self
Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by DesChyko: 6:35am On Nov 07, 2019
That's a good facelift.
Perhaps the severity of the flames made it difficult to tackle.
But trying to say it is not the norm for Nigeria to be 'unprepared' for emergency will not be bought by any citizen.
Major fires at major commercial cities within two months and both wrecked massive havoc and took many hours to be brought under control.
It's more than mere coincidence.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by anonimi: 6:36am On Nov 07, 2019
moscobabs:
We know the video is fake

The video is INCOMPLETE but not fake.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by WonderManly(m): 6:36am On Nov 07, 2019
Yes! I was there. I can testify to it!
Re: Lagos State Fire Service Did Not Use Buckets To Quench The Balogun Market Fire. by justtoodark: 6:37am On Nov 07, 2019
anonimi:

The video is INCOMPLETE but not fake.

and why was this version trendin more then,than the complete version....??

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ARISE NEWS Presenter In Tears / 2023: Atiku, Tambuwal, Saraki, Others In Race For PDP’s Presidential Ticket / Division In Senate Over Amendment Of CCB Act

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.