Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili (20962 Views)

The Senate Without Dora Akunyili / Saharareporters: Dora Akunyili's Resignation Letter / Tension Over Akunyili’s Senatorial Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by FBS: 8:31am On Nov 16, 2010
Akunyili Condemns Use of ‘Naija’ in Place of Nigeria

The Federal Government has condemned in strong terms the use of “Naija” in place of Nigeria, saying that such usage is “very uncharitable and unpatriotic”.

Minister of Information and Communication, Prof. Dora Akunyili, made the remarks while receiving the participants of Heir Apparent Reality Show in her office in Abuja yesterday.

Akunyili, who frowned on the continuous misrepresentation of the country's official name in place of a “corrupt” version, said: "It is very offensive to call Nigeria ‘Naija’. We are making plans to write companies to stop using the word Naija. I have heard that name Naija in adverts. I want them to go back and remove that word.

"If anybody says this is Naija, ask the person, 'Where is Naija?' We have to stop this word because it is catching up with the young. If we don't put a stop to its usage now, it will continue to project us wrongly.”

The minister's condemnation was prompted by a sentence in the presentation of the visiting group where “our world is Naija” was inserted.

Akunyili, who fervently spoke against the use of the word, ordered that the sentence be removed from the programme and changed to “our world is Nigeria”.

“Naija” is obviously a Nigerianised form of Niger, from where Nigeria derived its name.

The word is popularly used by musicians, artistes, advert managers and corporate companies and it could be positive or negative, although it is being used more positively in recent times.

It is believed to be trendier and is used by the younger generation.

Though no official condemnation of the word has been made, several reports have warned of the consequence of the usage of such words among the youths.

http://thisdayonline.info/nview.php?id=187724
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by HRT2010: 8:44am On Nov 16, 2010
The minister made a point; however, I consider the term "NAIJA" to be a connotative word that has a meaning only in the consciousness of those who use it. Since the minister does not use it, it will be difficult for her to really comprehend the meaning people have ascribed to it.
For me, the word "NAIJA" depicts the following:
'Belonginess'
Solidarity
Identification
Avowed Patriotism etc

So, madam minister, do not be offended at the youths who choose to identify with their country by giving it a pet name. Virtually all the songs that the term "NAIJA" has been used have been songs of solidarity.
I am proud of my country!

1 Like

Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 16, 2010
This woman no get better things and should keep her mouth shut!. NAIJA is a word created by young Nigerians not the one created by Lord Lugard ashewo.

Naija is here to stay and not going anywhere.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Suntemi(m): 8:48am On Nov 16, 2010
grin Someone should find this woman a job. She's so so jobless this days.

Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija Naija

Is it the Naija we call Nigeria that makes Nigeria corrupt? Madam, grow up. Get busy.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by oseiwe(m): 8:51am On Nov 16, 2010
after she don chop belleful for NAIJA@50. Good Name Great Naija
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by tlo(f): 8:52am On Nov 16, 2010
really 'is that our biggest problem now.  Has madam minister heard of the term colloquialism'.
Glo ''Naija'' sings will have to completely rebrand the show and Etisalat can say goodbye to 0809ja for life.
I used to get irritated by the excessive use of the word but can't belive our government's new focus  is the slangs we use.
We still do not have electricity madam and its 2010, speak about that!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Jomogbomo4: 8:53am On Nov 16, 2010
lmao! i laugh in naija!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Suntemi(m): 8:55am On Nov 16, 2010
tlo:

really 'is that our biggest problem now.  Has madam minister heard of the term colloquialism'.
Glo ''Naija'' sings will have to completely rebrand the show and Etisalat can say goodbye to 0809ja for life.
I used to get irritated by the excessive use of the word but can't belive our government's new focus  is the slangs we use.
We still do not have electricity madam and its 2010, speak about that!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by comechop(m): 8:56am On Nov 16, 2010
clowns with nothing to do. work on fixing the country instead dammit!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by agabaI23(m): 8:56am On Nov 16, 2010
Now I believe she has lost it.

Na wa for Akunyiliooo
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Woke4all(m): 8:57am On Nov 16, 2010
When did abbreviation/slangs become an offence in any chapter, page or section of the 9ja constitution?  

Naija 4 life
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by peacettw: 9:02am On Nov 16, 2010
I have an elderly aunt who likewise dislikes the use of the slang Naija. Personally, i love it. Never used it but still love it and like someone said, it is a word that inspires togetherness and pride in our country. I don't see a better rebranding mode than this
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 16, 2010
I wuld rather nt waste my energy here,dat woman is a big FOOL.since she became a minister wat has she achieved wit her rebrandin Naija bullshhit??instead she is busy givin her daughters away as if we dn't hv eligible bachelors here LOL.she is always pretendin to be who she is not, Assshole.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 16, 2010
so i sud go throw ma Naija T-shirts away eh??. . . or wil i b arrested wearin them in Naija ?  tongue

Wit all due respect madam. . . NAIJA IS HERE TO STAY!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by yagbaboy1(m): 9:07am On Nov 16, 2010
madam myinysta, it sims u hav ran out of work 2 do. Try this: organise NTA,FRSC and stop complaining over what we call our country. madam patriotik
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by jason2010(m): 9:08am On Nov 16, 2010
Why does she act like she cares so much about 9Gria. The other day she was saying the we should buy made in 9gria items to show our patriotism, and yet a pic of her in england, shopping for shoes shows up on the internet. Now she want to discontinue the use of the term 9ja, acting like she really cares. Her daughter is also married to an American caucasian dude. She needs to just relax, shut up and chop her money, and dont say jack if she really dont have anything to say that makes sense
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by edoyad(m): 9:09am On Nov 16, 2010
Dora i like you but i think you've outlived your use.
Look at the following:

1. USA -    Yankee
2. Australia - Aussie or Oz.
3. South Africa- S. A.
 etc.

I guess we should stop start using, THE NIGERIAN SENIOR FEMALE FOOTBALL TEAM in place of the Super Falcons then.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by ttts(m): 9:10am On Nov 16, 2010
I seldom comment on such issues like this but come to think of it,there are a 1001 things that we need to change and not to be deterred by a single word.
Naija is Nigeria and nothing or no one can change that, Nigeria aka Naija, Maybe she hasn't heard the words(slang) 'Yankee' for America or 'Jands' for Britain, Yet these countries have made tremendous progress in their own rights.

Madam Minister there are more pressing issues to change, After all, nobody else is complaining apart from her,
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by AMIGO112(m): 9:11am On Nov 16, 2010
Hey Dora baby. tell u what, I'll meet you guys (Govt) half way; provide power supply in every home for at least 18hrs in a day and we in turn will stop using the word 'Naija', DEAL OR NO DEAL?
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by slap1(m): 9:14am On Nov 16, 2010
Akunyili have realized that she's fast becoming insignificant hence the need to hop in and spew trash. Good to hear from you, ma!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by gly(m): 9:15am On Nov 16, 2010
She should think of something else, rather than coming to get more attention through the media! She and her fellow FEC members should concentrate on how to reduce unemployment! , instead of this rubbish crack she is saying. Madam minister, get busy with ways to solve Nigeria's (I mean NAIJA'S) problems instead of this your ameboism.
NAIJA 4 LIFE AND LONG LIVE 9JA! grin
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 16, 2010
oseiwe:

after she don chop belleful for NAIJA@50. Good Name Great Naija
Gbam,dn't mind her.nonsense woman, hissd&pissd.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 16, 2010
edoyad:

Dora i like you but i think you've outlived your use.
Look at the following:

1. USA -    Yankee
2. Australia - Aussie or Oz.
3. South Africa- S. A.
 etc.

I guess we should stop start using, THE NIGERIAN SENIOR FEMALE FOOTBALL TEAM in place of the Super Falcons then.

Ok, NL is the only place I've ever heard anyone use Yankee in the place of USA.

Who says "yankee" nowadays?
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by chizillar(m): 9:21am On Nov 16, 2010
[size=20pt]Personally, I don't like that word " Naija", It evokes a vulgar and uneducated feeling on us. Just reflect back to the adverts it was used on., "POWER OF NAIJA" .Combining good English with a Vulgar one. We can rebrand better.[/size]
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by cvibe: 9:22am On Nov 16, 2010
British - Brits
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by slap1(m): 9:23am On Nov 16, 2010
America is referred to as Uncle Sam, no fuss. Nigeria is called Naija, big deal. Akunyili, the state universities in the South East are still on strike. Face your mouth towards the East or shut it up for good!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by rock101(m): 9:25am On Nov 16, 2010
if I hear say I no say naija,
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by slap1(m): 9:29am On Nov 16, 2010
chizillar:

[size=20pt]Personally, I don't like that word " Naija", It evokes a vulgar and uneducated feeling on us. Just reflect back to the adverts it was used on., "POWER OF NAIJA" .Combining good English with a Vulgar one. We can rebrand better.[/size]
We are not English. 'Naija' was obviously coined from pidgin English which is a kinda national lingo. So what are you shooting at?
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by denony(m): 9:34am On Nov 16, 2010
WHAT A RUBISH? shocked
NOTHING TO REBRAND AGAIN, ACCEPT A COMMON SLANG?

These people are ridiculing this great country
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by MissyB3(f): 9:35am On Nov 16, 2010
. . . and this is supposed to be our most burning problem? undecided
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Atk1nson(m): 9:36am On Nov 16, 2010
"how are d mighty fallen" .I use to regard mrs. Dora in hi esteem, but I now despise & am irritated by her, wit her recent frivolities unda d Yar adua and GEJ government, i find her no beta dan "oda politicians",shame. Go get ur honour back.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by FBS: 9:36am On Nov 16, 2010
Maybe she was/is high on cow dung!

Boys are NOT smiling. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

APC Presidential Aspirants Sign undertaking not to decamp after primaries / 9 Presidential Runners You Probably Didn’t Know / Tinubu Honoured At Lagos House Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.