Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,899 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:36 AM

Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants (4610 Views)

Nigerian Army Nabs Fake General Alleged To Be Boko Haram Sponsor (Photo) / FG Closes Land Borders Till Sunday For Governorship Elections / Zahra Buhari And Dele Momodu Pictured Together In London As They Support Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by shadrach77: 2:29pm On Nov 16, 2010
Black Sunday for Nigerians in London …As immigration officials launch raid on illegal immigrants
From ADEWALE SANYAOLU,London with agency reports

Monday, November 15, 2010

It was a black Sunday for Nigerian and Ghanaian illegal migrants yesterday in London as immigration officers stormed into Haley’s in Regent Street and detained contract cleaners from Nigeria, Ghana and Brazil.

advertisement

The dawn raid, which left four alleged illegal migrants arrested on Britain’s most famous toy shop caught the illegal migrants unaware. The immigration team, which searched all seven floors and rounded up 14 suspects in the teddy bear department, as the Met’s Territorial Support Group guarded the store’s exits.

One suspect, a 17-year-old from Brazil, was found in a locked storeroom cowering under shelves packed with toys. The raid comes as the stores gears up for the pre-Christmas rush. The cleaning staffs are all believed to work for Crystal Cleaning Services, based in Essex. None is employed directly by Haley’s and there is no suggestion that the retailer has done anything wrong.

Surrounded by stuffed bears and Christmas gifts, officers used mobile fingerprint scanners to determine whether the suspects had the right to be in Britain. At the end, four were arrested and could be deported within the next couple of days, while some were led away in handcuffs. Illegal immigrants are often forced to work for sub-standard wages and are frequently victims of trafficking. Tony Moore, a team leader at the UK Border Agency, said “ we are really pleased with the results today. More operations are planned in central London in the coming weeks.

Illegal working has a serious impact, taking jobs from those allowed to work. These employers often bypass health and safety and the minimum wage.” A Hamleys spokesman said: “We are more than happy to help the UK Border Agency.” Employers found guilty of using illegal migrants face a fine of up to’ Illegal working has a serious impact, taking jobs from those allowed to work.

These employers often bypass health and safety and the minimum wage.” A Hamleys spokesman said: “We are more than happy to help the UK Border Agency.” Employers found guilty of using illegal migrants face a fine of up to £10,000 for each one. Crystal Cleaning said it had followed guidance from the Home Office’s “Prevention of Illegal Working,” booklet.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by Odunnu: 3:44pm On Nov 16, 2010
No wonder MOBO444 hasnt been online lately.
Either he's in hiding or among those who are air bound.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by jaybee3(m): 3:46pm On Nov 16, 2010
hmmmm
Nigerians in london
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 16, 2010
@jay bee
U shldnt be insultin people anyhw cuz u r a moderator or wateva. Jst tellin u dat ur coment on my last thread is an insult 2 me.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by jaybee3(m): 3:56pm On Nov 16, 2010
I apologise but try to understand ma frustration with you duplicating threads all over the place.
No vex ehn
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by Odunnu: 4:04pm On Nov 16, 2010
That's maturity Jay.
Some people lack it around ths parts.
You'l definitely go far in life!
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by jaybee3(m): 4:07pm On Nov 16, 2010
You 2 hun wink
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by DapoBear(m): 4:07pm On Nov 16, 2010
sad

I have to say, if you want to move illegally to a country and have a choice, pick the US. Nobody will come after you to deport you here, as long as you obey the laws and don't get in trouble.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by Odunnu: 4:13pm On Nov 16, 2010
You mean America accepts illegal immigrants if they behave?
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by jaybee3(m): 4:16pm On Nov 16, 2010
They don't go looking around for Illegal Immigrants but surely they have zero tolerance on illegal immigration.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by Beaf: 4:16pm On Nov 16, 2010
Redsun are you free or on the run?! grin
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by MaiSuya(m): 4:24pm On Nov 16, 2010
DapoBear:

sad

I have to say, if you want to move illegally to a country and have a choice, pick the US. Nobody will come after you to deport you here, as long as you obey the laws and don't get in trouble.

Funny, the person is breaking their law by [i]being [/i]there. . . grin

I get your point tho. . .US here I come
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by DapoBear(m): 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2010
Odunnu:

You mean America accepts illegal immigrants if they behave?

Yep. Keep your nose clean, don't break any laws (well, you'll kind of have to break laws a bit to get a SSN and a job), pay your taxes, etc and you'll be fine here.

Best country in the world for immigrants, imo.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by tpia5: 4:29pm On Nov 16, 2010
a bit presumptuous imo.

mexicans have been feeling the pinch for a while and it might not be that long before they start going after blacks.

remember agents are everywhere.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by DapoBear(m): 4:37pm On Nov 16, 2010
tpia@:

a bit presumptuous imo.

mexicans have been feeling the pinch for a while and it might not be that long before they start going after blacks.

remember agents are everywhere.

Mexicans? Who on earth goes after mexicans? Dude who mows my parents lawn is almost certainly an illegal Mexican; his English is almost non-existent.

Look, in America, police are not in charge of immigration. Immigration is handled by the federal gov't, and a very specific branch thereof. So even if you somehow get stopped by a policeman for running a red light/jaywalking/public intoxication or other small minor offenses, there is no chance of you getting deported or anything.

Basically, as long as you don't commit any felonies, you'll be fine here, even as an illegal.

Most immigrants here who get in trouble do so because they abuse the leniency here. They'll want to do 419, sell cocaine or drugs, etc.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 16, 2010
@jay bee
Apology accepted,i was only tryin 2 reconcile dose lovers.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by jaybee3(m): 4:43pm On Nov 16, 2010
DapoBear:

Mexicans? Who on earth goes after mexicans? Dude who mows my parents lawn is almost certainly an illegal Mexican; his English is almost non-existent.

Look, in America, police are not in charge of immigration. Immigration is handled by the federal gov't, and a very specific branch thereof. So even if you somehow get stopped by a policeman for running a red light/jaywalking/public intoxication or other small minor offenses, there is no chance of you getting deported or anything.

Basically, as long as you don't commit any felonies, you'll be fine here, even as an illegal.

Most immigrants here who get in trouble do so because they abuse the leniency here. They'll want to do 419, sell cocaine or drugs, etc.
Arizona?

Police are not in charge of immigration anywhere in the western world. They can only inform the immigration officials when one is suspected of being an illegal immigrant.
If stopped in the UK one can easily within own rights refuse to answer immigration questions.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by DapoBear(m): 4:55pm On Nov 16, 2010
jay bee:

Arizona?

Police are not in charge of immigration anywhere in the western world. They can only inform the immigration officials when one is suspected of being an illegal immigrant.
If stopped in the UK one can easily within own rights refuse to answer immigration questions.

Err, the most harsh provisions of the Arizona law have been temporarily blocked by the US Department of Justice. I.e., the federal gov't itself doesn't like this Arizona law and is trying to take it down:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/28/arizona.immigration.law/index.html?hpt=T2

In the worst case, if the harsh provisions pass in that state, you still have plenty of forewarning and can make alternative plans. It isn't by force that you move to Arizona; there are 49 other states you can choose to move to where Arizona law doesn't apply. Plenty of Nigerians w/o papers in Texas, Maryland, California, New York, Chicago, etc.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by sholasys: 5:17pm On Nov 16, 2010
let them come home i beg. we 're making money in naija too.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by daylae(m): 5:31pm On Nov 16, 2010
^^^ No be everyone weh go abroard go for the sake of making money.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by kokoye(m): 5:50pm On Nov 16, 2010
sholasys:

let them come home i beg. we 're making money in naija too.

making money . .in what way? and what percentage of the entire population are the 'we' you are talking about?
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by nethacker(m): 6:00pm On Nov 16, 2010
kokoye:

making money . .in what way? and what percentage of the entire population are the 'we' you are talking about?
^^ na ur comments i dey always like 2 read cos e dey make me laff grin grin grin grin na whr u dey?

DapoBear:

Err, the most harsh provisions of the Arizona law have been temporarily blocked by the US Department of Justice. I.e., the federal gov't itself doesn't like this Arizona law and is trying to take it down:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/28/arizona.immigration.law/index.html?hpt=T2

In the worst case, if the harsh provisions pass in that state, you still have plenty of forewarning and can make alternative plans. It isn't by force that you move to Arizona; there are 49 other states you can choose to move to where Arizona law doesn't apply. Plenty of Nigerians w/o papers in Texas, Maryland, California, New York, Chicago, etc.
@dapo; whr in yanky r u? 4 u 2 knw dat d above states are where 9ja peeps dey, u don waka oo, na true sha grin grin grin
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by manmustwac(m): 6:16pm On Nov 16, 2010
@post
yeah they're illegal they're breaking the law but man must wack.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by DapoBear(m): 6:22pm On Nov 16, 2010
nethacker:

^^ na your comments i dey always like 2 read cos e dey make me laff  grin grin grin grin na whr u dey?
@dapo; whr in yanky r u? 4 u 2 knw dat d above states are where 9ja peeps dey, u don waka oo, na true sha  grin grin grin

grin

manmustwac:

@post
yeah they're illegal they're breaking the law but man must wack.
Yep. People gotta do what they got to do to survive and make it in life. Cannot really begrudge someone for living illegally in the US when Shell, Exxon-Mobil, etc are part of the reason Nigeria is a messed up country. If they want to make money off of Nigeria, then they shouldn't cry if Nigerians make money off of them. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by nethacker(m): 6:29pm On Nov 16, 2010
DapoBear:

grin
Yep. People gotta do what they got to do to survive and make it in life. Cannot really begrudge someone for living illegally in the US when Shell, Exxon-Mobil, etc are part of the reason Nigeria is a messed up country. If they want to make money off of Nigeria, then they shouldn't cry if Nigerians make money off of them. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

well deuce grin grin
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by kokoye(m): 6:50pm On Nov 16, 2010
nethacker:

^^ na your comments i dey always like 2 read cos e dey make me laff grin grin grin grin na whr u dey?

Oga hacker, what's funny with my comments abeg o?

I dey west coast now . . used to live off 295, close to Baltimore actually.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by nethacker(m): 6:59pm On Nov 16, 2010
kokoye:

Oga hacker, what's funny with my comments abeg o?

I dey west coast now . . used to live off 295, close to Baltimore actually.
n me just comot 4 westcoast grin grin
hw ur end?shey dem kokoye no make am hard grin grin
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 16, 2010
Pssshhhh
All this na rubbish jare, eye service
If they really want to catch illegal immigrants Theresa May and his colleagues know exactly where to find them in droves.

Visiting  a departmental store and arresting 4 people is utter balderdash to me.

Only last week or so she announced measures to stem illegal immigration and this is all they can come up with??

I do not support illegal immigration but if these guys are serious about it then making 4 arrests is just a joke
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by igbobuigbo: 7:06pm On Nov 16, 2010
DapoBear:

(well, you'll kind of have to break laws a bit to get a SSN and a job),

Spoken/written like a ''true'' Nigerian. Remember this is cyberspace.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by DapoBear(m): 7:15pm On Nov 16, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Spoken/written like a ''true'' Nigerian. Remember this is cyberspace.

Agreed with the first statement; like most Nigerians I'm pragmatic smiley

Not sure of the significance of your second statement.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by kokoye(m): 7:19pm On Nov 16, 2010
nethacker:

n me just comot 4 westcoast grin grin
hw your end?shey dem kokoye no make am hard grin grin

They always come in very very handy my brother.  grin

They mow my lawn and other handy stuff.

Kokoyes are humans too . .some of them just feel this is their country too so they can behave like omo onile.

California, texas, etc were actually taken from Mexico by the way.
Re: Black Sunday For Nigerians In London As Immigration Nabs Illegal Immigrants by igbobuigbo: 7:27pm On Nov 16, 2010
DapoBear:

Agreed with the first statement; like most Nigerians I'm pragmatic smiley

Not sure of the significance of your second statement.

Most Nigerians are pragmatic in doing what? In forging a SSN and getting a job thereafter? This is cyberspace means this is cyberspace.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dangote Could Be Igbo. Why Is Dangote Neglecting Igboland? / Fact! Mugabe's Views On Racism [must Read] / 2015: Jonathan Splits Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.