Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,840 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? (8545 Views)

“AIG Mbu’s Critics Rabble Rousers” / Okupe: The Return Of A Rabble Rouser / Saharareporters: Dora Akunyili's Resignation Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by igbobuigbo: 6:14pm On Nov 16, 2010
Except for the fake drug barons and their pimps, Dora was, at one time, everyone else's darling; she could still be once again if she retraces her steps now.
Yesterday, she spoke for a government who, out of lack of what to do, wants to probe Emeagwali who did not commit any crime against Nigeria
Today, she is speaking for the same govt, asking us to stop referring to our dear Nigeria as naija, as though Americans have stopped calling their country God's own country. How is the insignificant issue of referring to Nigeria as naija an issue that should be a problem for a serious govt that wants to create jobs for its citizens; or is the Nigerian govt that she represents that jobless?

Sometimes, I wonder if it is the same Dora who published in, and was twice interviewed by Nature Journal, one of the greatest scientific journals in the world, and the one who published many of her research findings in international journals that many a Nigerian fellow university lecturers would be envious of.

I wonder if it is the same Dora who MASTERFULLY combined administering NAFDAC with doing bench research in the laboratory, something that not many (if any) Nigerian academics who, like her, left the precint of the universities for political positions, can do or are willing to do.

Dora produced all of these in the past, some when she was heading NAFDAC:

1. Title: Fake drugs: lessons for the world
Author(s): Wadman, M; Akunyili, D
Source: NATURE   Volume: 452   Issue: 7190   Pages: 924-924   Published: 2008
Times Cited: 0
Context Sensitive Links

2. Title: Achieving and sustaining Universal Salt Iodization (USI): doing it well through regulation and enforcement. Lessons learned from USI in Nigeria.
Author(s): Akunyili, D. N.
Source: SCN News   Issue: 35   Pages: 43-47   Published: 2007
Context Sensitive Links

3. Title: The global threat of counterfeit drugs: Why industry and governments must communicate the dangers (vol 2, pg e100, 2005)
Author(s): Cockburn, R; Newton, PN; Agyarko, EK, et al.
Source: PLOS MEDICINE   Volume: 4   Pages: 1553-1553   Published: 2007
Article Number: e289
Times Cited: 1
Context Sensitive Links

4. Title: Analgesic effects of aqueous extracts of the leaves of Bryophyllum pinnatum
Author(s): Igwe, SA; Akunyili, DN
Source: PHARMACEUTICAL BIOLOGY   Volume: 43   Issue: 8   Pages: 658-661   Published: NOV 2005
Times Cited: 0
Context Sensitive Links

5. Title: The global threat of counterfeit drugs: Why industry and governments must communicate the dangers
Author(s): Cockburn, R; Newton, PN; Agyarko, EK, et al.
Source: PLOS MEDICINE   Volume: 2   Issue: 4   Pages: 302-308   Published: APR 2005
Article Number: e100
Times Cited: 32
Context Sensitive Links

6. Title: News feature - In the line of fire
Author(s): Aldhous, P; Akunyili, D
Source: NATURE   Volume: 434   Issue: 7030   Pages: 134-134   Published: MAR 10 2005
Times Cited: 2
Context Sensitive Links

7. Title: Risk of medicines: counterfeit drugs.
Author(s): Akunyili, D. N.; Nnani, I. P. C.
Source: International Journal of Risk & Safety in Medicine   Volume: 16   Issue: 3   Pages: 181-190   Published: 2004
Context Sensitive Links

8. Title: Effects of Solanum melongena (garden egg) on some visual functions of visually active Igbos of Nigeria
Author(s): Igwe, SA; Akunyili, DN; Ogbogu, C
Source: JOURNAL OF ETHNOPHARMACOLOGY   Volume: 86   Issue: 2-3   Pages: 135-138   Published: JUN 2003
Times Cited: 1
Context Sensitive Links

9. Title: A preliminary study of the gastrointestinal effects of some Nigerian medicinal plants
Author(s): Langason, R. B. F.; Akunyili, D. N.; Akubue, P. I.
Source: Fitoterapia   Volume: 65   Issue: 3   Pages: 235-240   Published: 1994
Context Sensitive Links

10. Title: Iridoids from Kigelia pinnata bark
Author(s): Houghton, P. J.; Akunyili, D. N.
Source: Fitoterapia   Volume: 64   Issue: 5   Pages: 473-474   Published: 1993

11. Title: MEROTERPENOIDS AND NAPHTHAQUINONES FROM KIGELIA-PINNATA
Author(s): AKUNYILI, DN; HOUGHTON, PJ
Source: PHYTOCHEMISTRY   Volume: 32   Issue: 4   Pages: 1015-1018   Published: MAR 1993
Times Cited: 18
Context Sensitive Links

12. Title: ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITIES OF THE STEMBARK OF KIGELIA-PINNATA
Author(s): AKUNYILI, DN; HOUGHTON, PJ; RAMAN, A
Source: JOURNAL OF ETHNOPHARMACOLOGY   Volume: 35   Issue: 2   Pages: 173-177   Published: DEC 1991
Times Cited: 20
Context Sensitive Links

13. Title: ANTISNAKE VENOM PROPERTIES OF THE STEM BARK JUICE OF SCHUMANNIOPHYTON-MAGNIFICUM
Author(s): AKUNYILI D N; AKUBUE P I
Source: Fitoterapia   Volume: 58   Issue: 1   Pages: 47-49   Published: 1987
Context Sensitive Links

14. Title: SCHUMANNIOFOSIDE, THE ANTISNAKE VENOM PRINCIPLE FROM THE STEM BARK OF SCHUMANNIOPHYTON-MAGNIFICUM HARMS
Author(s): AKUNYILI, DN; AKUBUE, PI
Source: JOURNAL OF ETHNOPHARMACOLOGY   Volume: 18   Issue: 2   Pages: 167-172   Published: NOV 1986
Times Cited: 16
Context Sensitive Links

http://apps.isiknowledge.com/summary.do?qid=3&product=UA&SID=3DkDIJejpnnNEpl43e1&search_mode=GeneralSearch

Now she is producing this:

Federal Govt condemns the word "Naija"

The Federal Government has condemned in strong terms the use of “Naija” in place of Nigeria, saying that such usage is “very uncharitable and unpatriotic”.

Minister of Information and Communication, Prof. Dora Akunyili, made the remarks while receiving the participants of Heir Apparent Reality Show in her office in Abuja yesterday.

Akunyili, who frowned on the continuous misrepresentation of the country's official name in place of a “corrupt” version, said: "It is very offensive to call Nigeria ‘Naija’. We are making plans to write companies to stop using the word Naija. I have heard that name Naija in adverts. I want them to go back and remove that word.

"If anybody says this is Naija, ask the person, 'Where is Naija?' We have to stop this word because it is catching up with the young. If we don't put a stop to its usage now, it will continue to project us wrongly.”

The minister's condemnation was prompted by a sentence in the presentation of the visiting group where “our world is Naija” was inserted.

Akunyili, who fervently spoke against the use of the word, ordered that the sentence be removed from the programme and changed to “our world is Nigeria”.

“Naija” is obviously a Nigerianised form of Niger, from where Nigeria derived its name.

The word is popularly used by musicians, artistes, advert managers and corporate companies and it could be positive or negative, although it is being used more positively in recent times.

It is believed to be trendier and is used by the younger generation.

Though no official condemnation of the word has been made, several reports have warned of the consequence of the usage of such words among the youths.

http://thisdayonline.info/nview.php?id=187724

Is this a falling from grace to grass? Can somebody tell her to quit now and go back to where she belongs?
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by igbobuigbo: 6:44pm On Nov 16, 2010
Jonathan and his gang of 40 thieves are pissing me off now with their lack of direction.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 6:54pm On Nov 16, 2010
missed placed priority. nothing more nothing less. angry
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by MaiSuya(m): 7:07pm On Nov 16, 2010
Her decision to enter politics was a terrible mistake cry cry
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by chigo4u: 7:21pm On Nov 16, 2010
Naija, 9ja, Ve always told everyone this woman is confused. I dislike jonathan for retaining this woman. I mean, how would u put someone so timid and lacks good command of spoken english as an info & communications minister. No. She is just simply a sycophant looking for where to gain and to decieve some dull Nigerians into thinkn that she cares abt her country. Nonsence. *Sigh* proudly 9ja
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by igbobuigbo: 7:24pm On Nov 16, 2010
chigo4u:

Naija, 9ja,  Ve always told everyone this woman is confused. I dislike jonathan for retaining this woman. I mean, how would u put someone so timid and lacks good command of spoken english as an info & communications minister. No. She is just simply a sycophant looking for where to gain and to decieve some dull Nigerians into thinkn that she cares abt her country. Nonsence. *Sigh* proudly 9ja

Does Jonathan himself speak any better English? That is hardly the problem; it is the misplaced priorities of their govt that bother me to no end
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by ishit4body(f): 7:29pm On Nov 16, 2010
Please, this is your opinion about this woman, doesnt make it right and dont try to force it down our throat. She is human, after all, go to America and ask what people think of Obama since he became the President. This is politics, some will like you, some will hate you, dont expect everyone to like you, but that doesnt mean you should listen to them and let you loose your focus.

1 Like

Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Kobojunkie: 7:34pm On Nov 16, 2010
chigo4u:

Naija, 9ja, Ve always told everyone this woman is confused. I dislike jonathan for retaining this woman. I mean, how would u put someone so timid and lacks good command of spoken english as an info & communications minister. No. She is just simply a sycophant looking for where to gain and to decieve some dull Nigerians into thinkn that she cares abt her country. Nonsence. *Sigh* proudly 9ja
Oh, Come on now. After she skillfully played the psyche of the average Nigerian( always quick to act first and think things through later) in to getting him installed as president, of course it was expected that he would keep her on, even after she had clearly shown by that time that she had nothing to offer when it comes to politics or working as minister of communication.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by homerac7: 7:42pm On Nov 16, 2010
My disappointment wt Dora ain't today. I'm not posting because I want to add my voice for her crucifixion, rather I'm only repeating wht I hav been saying of her for close to 9 months.

D strengh of leadership is character. When Dora squealed on her colleagues over Yar'Adua matter, many were shallow enough only to c what Dora wanted them to c, a defender of d helpless. But ignored her dishonorable conduct. It is a very hypocritic thing to still belong to a group and come outside to accuse and malign it outside as if u r d angel whole others r demons.

Credibility would hav been for her to resign her appointment before doing dt not when she Ws a member. Dt singular conduct left me wt less thought of her, any other mess up she does is a given wt me.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by fstranger: 7:45pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

Please, this is your opinion about this woman, doesnt make it right and dont try to force it down our throat. She is human, after all, go to America and ask what people think of Obama since he became the President. This is politics, some will like you, some will hate you, dont expect everyone to like you, but that doesnt mean you should listen to them and let you loose your focus.

Please talk to me. When imma hit it?

BTW, I am willing to pay you 500 pounds / hour, for an all night romp with you and any of your other gorgeous girlfriends.

Brief info about me: I am a thoroughbred "omo Naija," with a very long kondo. I am attracted to you cos I like 'em crazy, just like you are. And the fact that you are a cougar is another reason I am attracted to you, not to talk about your great body. I can't wait to tear you apart. By the time I am done, you will forever thank your stars.

Please, I am very serious and well loaded!

Yours Sincerely,
ishit4body admirer
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Ibime(m): 7:47pm On Nov 16, 2010
The original Nigger area sef, no be nickname wey Lord Lugard give us?
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by igbobuigbo: 7:47pm On Nov 16, 2010
homerac7:

My disappointment wt Dora ain't today. I'm not posting because I want to add my voice for her crucifixion, rather I'm only repeating wht I hav been saying of her for close to 9 months.

D strengh of leadership is character. When Dora squealed on her colleagues over Yar'Adua matter, many were shallow enough only to c what Dora wanted them to c, a defender of d helpless. But ignored her dishonorable conduct. It is a very hypocritic thing to still belong to a group and come outside to accuse and malign it outside as if u r d angel whole others r demons.

Credibility would hav been for her to resign her appointment before doing dt not when she Ws a member. Dt singular conduct left me wt less thought of her, any other mess up she does is a given wt me.

Hahahah! Resignation from juicy govt positions is not a strength amongst Nigerians. Only a few of us like Ebitu Ukiwe and Ngozi Okonjo Iweala can do so. Instead, we will ask for a third term like Obasanjo did; as IBB is doing now for a second chance.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by homerac7: 8:05pm On Nov 16, 2010
@ Igbobuigbo

Now u c what I'm talking about? Character. Will she b poorer if she should resign? Will she b in govt forever? Were there not many b4 her? Shallnt many still come after her? What of d assassins bullets actually got her at the failed attempt? most importantly, if she hadn't d moral courage to sign out, then she should shut d hell up!

The excos might hav been men of dubious characters, her squealing definitely never placed her above board.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by igbobuigbo: 8:11pm On Nov 16, 2010
homerac7:

@ Igbobuigbo

Now u c what I'm talking about? Character. Will she b poorer if she should resign? Will she b in govt forever? Were there not many b4 her? Shallnt many still come after her? What of d assassins bullets actually got her at the failed attempt? most importantly, if she hadn't d moral courage to sign out, then she should shut d hell up!

The excos might hav been men of dubious characters, her squealing definitely never placed her above board.

You right. Plus, her husband is letting her run loose. Their must a nice icing on the cake to be in govt.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by ishit4body(f): 8:13pm On Nov 16, 2010
this is a case of personal vendeta. Did she refuse to give you a contract?
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Kobojunkie: 8:17pm On Nov 16, 2010
igbobuigbo:

You right. Plus, her husband is letting her run loose. Their must a nice icing on the cake to be in govt.

What the frell has her husband to do with this? Please FOCUS . . . the woman comes equipped with a fully-functional brain of her own. This is her mistakes and so she should be the one you focus on please.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by igbobuigbo: 8:27pm On Nov 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What the frell has her husband to do with this? Please FOCUS . . . the woman comes equipped with a fully-functional brain of her own. This is her mistakes and so she should be the one you focus on please.

If I were him, I would not let my once fantastic wife be so discredited. I know Dora is not the president who makes the decisions but now she is the one taking the heat for every of the federal govt's ineptitude since she has to be the one to announce it to a thoroughly exasperated populace.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by igbobuigbo: 8:28pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

this is a case of personal vendeta. Did she refuse to give you a contract?

If you know how much I adore Dora, you will just shut up and go away.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Kobojunkie: 8:32pm On Nov 16, 2010
igbobuigbo:

If I were him, I would not let my once fantastic wife be so discredited. I know Dora is not the president who makes the decisions but now she is the one taking the heat for every of the federal govt's ineptitude since she has to be the one to announce it to a thoroughly exasperated populace.

Again, she came complete with a brain of her own and can make her own decisions, regardless of who she hangs with or has around her. Focus on the woman and not those that you should not concern self with.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by chigo4u: 8:34pm On Nov 16, 2010
Come @ishit4body why not go and take care of ur shiitt problems than mount a guard here defending a woman that is all about herself or are u on her payroll? Smh. 9ja people I think ve smartened up beyond the selfish antics of Akunyili. The wrap.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by homerac7: 8:49pm On Nov 16, 2010
Unfortunately, I don't know her husband. Bit whoever he is, I hav a great respect for him. I'm impressed wt hw he has allowed his wife to hav an independent personality. Dt is what I call a loving support. Though I don't think he has to start reigning in his wife at ds moment as woman should b able to seperate right from wrong. What if she weren't his wife? I think he van only give his advise privately as a darling, wc should b weighty enough wt d woman if d whole arrangement is genuine.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by igbobuigbo: 8:50pm On Nov 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Again, she came complete with a brain of her own and can make her own decisions, regardless of who she hangs with or has around her. Focus on the woman and not those that you should not concern self with.

Okay! I hear you. Just so I do not get bogged down by you. However, one cannot but wonder if her family gives her the inspiration to go down the slope as she is doing now, given her claim (and rightly so) that her family is her source of inspiration, as I read from a previous interview. Has things changed now from that position?
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 16, 2010
What a sa d fall. Personally I blame Mrs Goodluck for not actively involving her in her kitchen to cook Banga soup and pounded yam. If she had kept her busy, she for no get time to come dey spew thois kind embaraasment. madam rebranding, this one na misfire
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by igbobuigbo: 9:07pm On Nov 16, 2010
aisha2:

What a sa d fall. Personally I blame Mrs Goodluck for not actively involving her in her kitchen to cook Banga soup and pounded yam. If she had kept her busy, she for no get time to come dey spew thois kind embaraasment. madam rebranding, this one na misfire

See what Dora caused herself? Mrs Goodluck who is barely literate now has to be cooked for by a whole prof. Chei!!! Dora, you put shit for ya mouth.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by ishit4body(f): 9:16pm On Nov 16, 2010
These are just opinions of rabble rousers. they dont hold water.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by igbobuigbo: 10:01pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

These are just opinions of rabble rousers. they dont hold water.

Shouldn't you be doing modeling than involved in cyber politics? Unlike Dora, you need to identify where you best fit in. I am helping you do so.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by fstranger: 10:07pm On Nov 16, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Shouldn't you be doing modeling than involved in cyber politics? Unlike Dora, you need to identify where you best fit in. I am helping you do so.

Nah, see her face, very wowo. She has a face only a mother could love. However, she has a great "bod," with proper tutelage, she can be a great escort. Anywho, I am interested in hiting her g*spot though. Been trying to convince her for more than a week now.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Alxmyr(m): 10:30pm On Nov 16, 2010
@ Poster, since you don't have anything meaningful to do with your life, it is wise to waste it cataloguing Madam's achievements, her weakness and shortcoming.
By the way, what do you expect of her as a Minister of Information?

My candid opinion to you, which I am sure you will repel, is to get busy and do something more engaging with your life.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Kobojunkie: 10:33pm On Nov 16, 2010
Alxmyr:

@ Poster, since you don't have anything meaningful to do with your life, it is wise to waste it cataloguing Madam's achievements, her weakness and shortcoming.

My candid opinion to you, which I am sure you will repel, is to get busy and do something more engaging with your life.

I am sorry but you are wrong there. It is YOUR DUTY as a citizen to keep an eye on those you have in leadership -- you are paying them to work for you-- they are your employees and you need to monitor them. It is what you ought to be doing.  That is what adds meaning to your life as a citizen of the country Nigeria. Not how many times you can "I love Nigeria" when in actual fact, you do next to NOTHING of what is required of you as a citizen of a democratic nation.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by ishit4body(f): 10:35pm On Nov 16, 2010
Alxmyr:

thank you jare. They always talk as if they are the master of the universe, who knows all and who is always right.

My advice to the poster. Go wipe your butt hole with sand paper.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 16, 2010
I am a strong supporter of Dora and I have not hidden that fact.
Apart from the current misyan about the use of 'naija' can somebody/anybody please put me out of my misery. I need someone to outline what Dora has actually done wrong.

Now, I do not want any phantom gibberish made up in anyones head.  I want facts.

Get posting people!
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:25pm On Nov 16, 2010
a round peg can never fit in a square hole, and thats what dora is. i cant stand that woman whenever i see her on tv. a very ambitious lady i must say. angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ndi Okereke–Onyiuke’s Fraudulent PH.d - Shock / Tradermoni Beneficiaries In The North West Share Testimonies / Anioma Land Is Not Part Of Niger Delta Republic By Nwanyiogwashi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.