Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,390 members, 7,808,376 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

What Can You Do With Solar Power? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Can You Do With Solar Power? (2422 Views)

Enjoy Light, Charge Your Laptop & Phones With Solar Light Kit / Stop Buying Fuel For Your Generator Every Night, Use Solar Power And Inverter / Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can You Do With Solar Power? by Grouppoint(m): 10:37am On May 23, 2007
Does anyone know of the current advancements in solar energy technology?

Can solar panels power TVs, Fridges, Air conditioners, and other home applainces?

How much can you expect to spend purchasing a solar panel that can carry home appliances?
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by noble2007(m): 11:29am On May 23, 2007
@Grouppoint,
There is no way a solar panel can power your home appliances directly.That so called Solar panel is basically used to CHARGE your battery via a charge controller believe it or not because its output voltage is DC and not AC.

So you still need an inverter to work alongside your solar panel and car/trailer batteries to power your home appliances.
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by gmcln(m): 3:16am On May 24, 2007
For Solar electric basics see
http://www.solarexpert.com/pvbasics.html
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by riteweb(m): 4:18pm On May 25, 2007
So Many Dear,I read from a web recently that a plane that uses solar as source of energy now exists,i promised to paste the link if i find it soon.
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by flavourdee(m): 5:28pm On May 25, 2007
Noble is correct. An inverter is required.

I used a device like this throughout 2006.

It was like 1.5KVA and could carry basic stuff like TV, sound system, 5-6 bulbs and 3-5 fans.

Though if all those are on at the same time it might not last for more than 4-6 hours.

It however needs to be fully charged to give you the 8hours it should
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by topyblack(m): 5:41pm On May 25, 2007
smileyCan solar panels power TVs, Fridges, Air conditioners, and undecidedother home applainces?

Of course sure. As long as you can bear the cost of an inverter that can accomodate all that. To power the above via solar, your standard of living must be above average. Why?

Cos, the so called inverter would cost you an average of 200k only.

For the inverter, you need constant electricity to keep it charge.

If the battery runs down fails to charge maybe at the long run, then be ready to purchase another battery of like 20k X 2 to 4 pieces of it (dry cell).

you can try it sha, i wouldn't mind to visit you when PHnepCNa visits me.

cheers!

It is a good means of power supply guy but also note that
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by chumakk: 7:42pm On May 25, 2007
Your are in a Dream world
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by anusule(m): 8:35pm On May 25, 2007
my mp3 player runs on solar power.
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by kellorah: 1:04am On May 26, 2007
charge dead batteries cheesy
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by solarrate: 11:18am On May 26, 2007
I went to naija a while ago and every single day, the Power Holding Company held the power ho ha! I thot to myself there is a solution to this problem and it is in abundance in naija - solar power.

Believe it or not Solar can power all your equipment, the only problem is that it costs a bit. Due to the high cost of the systems thou', most countries offer some incentives.  What then baffles me is why our country Nigeria isn't doing the same to encourage more people to provide their own energy source and stop being dependent on the government.
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by Seun(m): 11:32am On May 26, 2007
It would be really silly for the government to provide "incentives" to importers of solar power.
The enormous amount of gas we flare every day is more than enough to provide electricity.
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by free2ryhme: 11:17pm On May 29, 2007
[size=20pt]cook beans with it what else !!!!!!!!!!![/size] grin
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by solarrate: 10:13pm On May 30, 2007
Seun:

It would be really silly for the government to provide "incentives" to importers of solar power.
The enormous amount of gas we flare every day is more than enough to provide electricity.

Are you then implying that the countries that adopt this policy haven't thought things through? My view is that it will take a long time and high cost before generating plants run by gas would distribute power to the consumers. In any case, I believe that even if the govt provide the funds, the likelihood is that it will be squandered. Why then shouldn't the funds be made directly available to the people?

Aside from all that, developed countries have varied forms of electricity generating systems. There's no harm in having different types of systems in the country provided it is proven to be the cheapest form adoptable in the area.
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by ToToChoper: 1:15am On Jun 02, 2007
Definitely high cost, I read in WSJ (Wall Street Journal) some months ago that Wind Energy has had even more breakthrough than SOLAR powered energy.
Scientist are constantly working on ways to create other alternatives to crude oil.
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by dononye: 10:45am On Jun 06, 2007
i think solar power will assit alot in the generation of power not only that, it will ease the problem of power falilure and boost business
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by alchemist(m): 4:17pm On Jun 06, 2007
I have an inverter and i charge my battery with PHCN source but it aint wokring so good since PHCN self na Bleep UP, abeg how much does the solar charge goes for, I have a 150amps battery and also a 5000volts peak power inverter, Holla at oladipokj@yahoo.com.
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by Ashdam(m): 6:14pm On Jul 19, 2007
Ashdam Solar Co. Ltd as a company has been born since the year 2004 but got registered (RC 698203) in 2007, the Founders and Directors of the company are Mr. Adeyemi E. Asaleye and Miss Damilola Fadugba-Alfred both graduates in Physics and Solar Energy from Bowen University, Iwo, Nigeria. Our aim is to introduce Renewable Energy Resources to developing countries to meet up with the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and our main activities and key products are Solar Energy & Back-up Installation/Maintenance, Solar Energy Research & Development, Energy Management and Consultancy, Design, Construction & Sales of Solar Thermal products, Sales of Solar Energy Installation Materials.
For any further information,
Tel: +234 (0) 803 397 8070, +234 (0) 803 428 4936, +234 (0) 802 718 9340
Email: ashdamsolar@yahoo.com
We look forward to hearing from you.
We are at your service, and give the best.
Thanks
Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by alchemist(m): 9:21pm On Jul 19, 2007
I HAVE AN INVERTER BUT NO SOLAR PANEL AND IT WORKS GOOD BECAUSE I USE ELECTRICITY TO CHARGE MY BATTERY.AM USING AN AUTOMOBILE 150 VOLT BATTERY BUT IT DOESNT LAST LONG.I WAS TOLD TO GET A DEEP FREEZE BATTERY.DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW MUCH IT COST AND ALSO HOW MUCH DOES A SOLAR PANEL COST SO I CAN CHARGE UP MY BATTERIES WITH IT.

Re: What Can You Do With Solar Power? by naijaking1: 1:20am On Jul 20, 2007
@ashdam

I take it that you deal in solar supplies, ie panels, batteries, etc? If so, do you have price quotations for 100 or 120 w Bp, Seimens, or even Mitsubishi panels?

(1) (Reply)

Buy Samsung Products From Alaba International Market ! / Have You Being Struggling To Start A Business Online? / A4 Paper Distributors!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.