Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

Us Awards $130m Medical Education Grant To Five Nigerian Universities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Us Awards $130m Medical Education Grant To Five Nigerian Universities (820 Views)

Why Nigerian Universities Rank Low- Buhari / Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says / Senator Oluremi Tinubu To Award N13 Million Grant To Petty Traders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Awards $130m Medical Education Grant To Five Nigerian Universities by AloyEmeka5: 1:04am On Nov 17, 2010
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
[size=14pt]US awards $130m medical education grant to five Nigerian universities[/size]

Tunde Odesola, Ibadan

The United States National Institute of Health has awarded $130m medical education partnership grant to the University of Ibadan and five other universities.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/nov/16/805.html

Vice-Chancellor of UI, Prof. Olufemi Bamiro, said that the other universities in the partnership include the University of Lagos, University of Nigeria, University of Jos, University of Maiduguri and Ahmadu Bello University.

Addressing a news conference on the campus of the university on Monday, Bamiro said the partnership was aimed at opening fresh frontiers in the field of HIV/AIDS research.

According to him, the grant was an acknowledgement of United States' consistency towards improving humanity, stressing that the choice of the university as a centre to drive the grant was laudable.

A statement by the Registrar of UI, Mrs. Omotayo Ikotun, explained that the grant, which is code-named "Medical Education Partnership Initiative", would witness the disbursement of $130m among Nigerian universities within the next five years.

The statement said, "The University of Ibadan is to lead some other Nigerian universities to benefit from an investment of $130m largely funded by the US President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief to expand and enhance medical education and research training in the field of HIV/AIDS.

"The public health relevance of this award is that the challenges facing the Nigerian medical education system like decayed infrastructure, misplaced priorities and inadequate resources responsible for a dearth of research capacity of students and faculty will be addressed."

Bamiro explained that the scourge of HIV/AIDS was prevalent among youths because many of them were impressionable and incapable of using their freedom appropriately.

He said the improved medical education system and capacity from this programme would be transferred to other medical schools in the country through the National Universities Commission.

"UI will be leading a consortium of six Nigerian universities and partnering with two US universities to implement programmes towards improvement and strengthening of medical education system in Nigeria," Bamiro said.
Re: Us Awards $130m Medical Education Grant To Five Nigerian Universities by DapoBear(m): 6:07am On Nov 17, 2010
Why no Ife undecided I'm partial to that university smiley
Re: Us Awards $130m Medical Education Grant To Five Nigerian Universities by fstranger: 6:09am On Nov 17, 2010
Asking the same question here: why no Great Ife?

Why Jos and Maiduguri? ABU and Nsukka I understand.
Re: Us Awards $130m Medical Education Grant To Five Nigerian Universities by homerac7: 11:06am On Nov 17, 2010
Una broses, e b like say una don turn old school for nigerian settings o!

Yes, Ife is deserving by stature. But by geopolitical arrangements, none of d recipient schools is less deserving in d field of medicine.

In fact, by my ratings, jos is d most influential in medicine among dos situated in middle belt. In north, apart from ABU, sokoto, kano and maiduguri r peers.

What of Benin? Is she less deserving?
Re: Us Awards $130m Medical Education Grant To Five Nigerian Universities by AloyEmeka5: 2:31pm On Nov 17, 2010
Does it matter. If they like, they can give all the grant to University of Akoko Ado, I don't care as long as it is used judiciously.
Re: Us Awards $130m Medical Education Grant To Five Nigerian Universities by slow2speak(m): 9:48pm On Nov 19, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Does it matter. If they like, they can give all the grant to University of Akoko Ado, I don't care as long as it is used judiciously.
I'm with on that, people are just oblivious to the essence of the initiative.
Re: Us Awards $130m Medical Education Grant To Five Nigerian Universities by dayokanu(m): 9:51pm On Nov 19, 2010
I thought LUTH was a top Medical school in Nigeria

DapoBear:

Why no Ife undecided I'm partial to that university smiley

Best University in Nigeria by a margin cool cool cool
Re: Us Awards $130m Medical Education Grant To Five Nigerian Universities by kcjazz(m): 10:00pm On Nov 19, 2010
I hope it is not cash undecided Christmas is next month o!

(1) (Reply)

On The Aborted Coup Detat Stagged By The Nigerian High Commissioner To Malaysia / Buhari Dines With Pastor Adeboye / Nigeria: The Call For Igini's Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.