Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,802 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:05 PM

How Did You Become An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did You Become An Atheist (8463 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Become An Atheist by kambo(m): 3:32am On Nov 18, 2010
when did you become an atheist?

please share your story of how you became an
atheist ?

what prompted you to make that decision

do you come from a family of atheists - (no insults meant here)

which religion do you particular find repugnant?

which religion do you find - nearly acceptable if you
wanted to be religious -

what are you views on :

death

pre/post marital sex

stealing

lying

murder

afterlife

many views on the above subjects are influenced by religion.

without religious injunctions the actions become amoral.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Dsense(m): 3:57am On Nov 18, 2010
No idea!
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by holydante(m): 1:07pm On Nov 18, 2010
kambo:

atheist ?, i never was tongue

what prompted you to make that decision, none of the above undecided undecided

do you come from a family of atheists - (no insults meant here), we are all believers tongue

which religion do you particular find repugnant?, i find atheism so cheesy tongue

wanted to be religious -, Christianity is da bomb anytime

what are you views on :

death, you and everyone must die

pre/post marital sex, it is a sin. the commandments says so

stealing, a sin, the commandments says so

lying, same response as above

murder, a sin and a crime punishable by death

afterlife, heaven, purgatory and hell is real, repent now!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet this is the oddest thread on NL, and am gracing it with a response, undecided undecided
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Mudley313: 1:16pm On Nov 18, 2010
kambo:

when i outgrew childhood indoctrinations in believing in imaginary friends and absurd jewish myths, legends and fairytales

atheist ?
see above

logic, reason, rational

no. a religious one (like most nigerians)

which religion do  you particular find repugnant?
the 3 abrahamic cults because of their gross intolerance (see the inquisitions, the crusades, boko haram, al qeadi, israeli-palestine conflict, ireland, bosnia, anit- semitism etc

wanted to be religious -
maybe the eastern cults or traditional african religions just cos i'd rather stick to my forefathers rather than some foreign religion brought to us through coercion (even though neither is any less absurd)

but ofcourse i'm not deluded

what are you views on :

death
everyone's gonna die someday

pre/post marital sex
it don't matter. promiscuity of course comes with it'd consequence you'd have to bear (stds, unwanted pregnancies, drama)

stealing
if you can do the CRIME be prepared to do the time (face the consequences)

lying
immoral

murder
despicable

afterlife
non-existent

[center][/center]
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by greenhope(m): 1:23pm On Nov 18, 2010
Its really funny when someone with a soul and spirit says there is no God I wonder where this person is coming from and why they dont understand the simple logic and logic world view that they are all a spark of God and also an extension.

In other word you only don't believe in what you think exist so I think Atheist-ism is another way of believing in God.

Hope this help.

Ye are gods with a Father God
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 18, 2010
kambo:

wouldn't say i'm atheist, i do believe in the existence of a supreme being, God - Allah whatever you want to call him/her but i'm very liberal

atheist ?
came with aging, with greater and deeper thought process and respect for logic and reasoning

came with aging, with greater and deeper thought process and respect for logic and reasoning

nope, raised catholic

none

which religion do you find - nearly acceptable if you wanted to be religious -
all are acceptable to me, but you get your mind twisted if you belief every thing (faith principle fashioned by generations of human modification and acceptance) hook, line and stinker without reasoning

what are you views on :

death
we'll all die one day

pre/post marital sex
post marital sex is bad in the light that it is against the rules of marriage, pre-marital sex can be dangerous/risky but not necessarily bad.

stealing
bad. there's dignity in labour.

lying

bad. integrity is key!

murder
evil. you should not take away what you can't create.

afterlife
no one really knows. just do the best you can while on earth because it's good to be good, and ensure your legacy lives on after you.

many views on the above subjects are influenced by religion. without religious injunctions the actions become amoral.

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 18, 2010
When it became fashionable to be Atheist grin
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by bimshutk: 2:15pm On Nov 18, 2010
became am atheist when i began 2 actually think and ask fundamental questions about the world around me. From a religious (Christian) home and i find Christianity most repugnant, feel Buddhism is d only religion that can uplift the human mind and u can see the results in India and China. Life is only worth living when it has meaning,. death is good what wld life be without death. lying stealing murder, i think the end justifies the means,. Afterlife - does not make sense (read Thomas Malthus Population Theory)
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:24pm On Nov 18, 2010
kambo:

Some 7-8 years ago, came out totally 3 years ago

kambo:

atheist ?
I guess I was always radical, many things made no sense to me as I grew older. I think what broke the camel's back would certainly be reading the bible again about 4 years ago. I decided that God as painted by christianity did not exist, same applies for other religions

kambo:

what prompted you to make that decision?

I just decided to stop deceiving myself and people around me, I simply did not believe in the fairytale anymore. I tend to want to see a rational reason in everything I do so religion became a no no.

kambo:

Not at all I was raised catholic, I was a confirmed at the age of 15 after close to 4 rigorous years of catechism.

kambo:

This is a tough one, certain aspects of all of them are repugnant. Topping the list would certainly be Islam and Christianity
kambo:

which religion do you find - nearly acceptable if you wanted to be religious -

I think I like grail message a bit, not that their teachings make all the sense in the world but generally because the few I have had course to discuss with were so cool and I like the part where they don't force it on you they just say its your choice(maybe a psychological strategy).

kambo:

what are you views on :

death
It happens, we will all die one day. In my opinion the biggest factor ruling this world is survival and sadly death is a part of it. It is extremely essential to the food chain.

kambo:

what are you views on :

pre/post marital sex
Pre
Just be informed from an early age, know the consequences - veneral disease, pregnancy et al. Use a condom and never feel guilty everyone does it!
If you took a vow to remain faithful to one person then keep it, it would be wrong. If you can get your spouse to sign off on it, then way to go-- remember to use a condom grin grin

kambo:

stealing

Well the world is not a fair place, stealing as a topic is way too broad to make one judgement over. Heck I would praise anyone who could dupe these thieving bastards in government of all their wealth grin grin In general though I think it depends on the circumstance although in general its most often wrong to me.

kambo:

lying
Same thing as stealing.

kambo:

murder

hmmmmmm another of those topics, plain ole murder for no reason, racial prejudice, unarmed innocent persons most of the time it is wrong to take a life as far as I am concerned. My life is my own and I am free to do with it as I will unless when it infringes on the right of others to live as freely as they want. grin grin I try not to think too much about this, but build me a time machine and I would not hesitate to put a bullet through hitler's, Moses' or even stalin's head shocked shocked yeah I would not.

kambo:

afterlife
When you die, you are dead and gone, at least thats how I see it. Even if there was an afterlife, the permutations are too much for you to worry about it. One of those things that can never ever be proven to exist cool cool what is a soul anyway
kambo:

This is wrong in my opinion, we do not need religion to judge an issue to be moral or amoral. Ants, monkeys, lions and the animal kingdom in general have rules that govern them. Have you seen anyone of them going to T B Joshua for miracles grin grin grin
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by ZUBBYNWA(m): 2:43pm On Nov 18, 2010
No idea on that one, everybody is on his own
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by denony(m): 3:49pm On Nov 18, 2010
GOD PLEASE HAVE MERCY
UR MERCY ABIDETH FOREVER
CRYING FOR THIS GENERATION cry cry cry
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 4:09pm On Nov 18, 2010
just looking at the sky confirms to me that there is a God.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Chuks84(m): 4:29pm On Nov 18, 2010
I think this is a very repulsive thread! I hope you are not trying to encourage atheism. Its only a dunce that would refuse to realize the existence of a supreme being.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Blazing99: 4:34pm On Nov 18, 2010
Atheism is a trap by the devil that is very very easy to fall into especially in this age of modernism. I am saying from the angle that I almost became one. I advice that the so-called men of to dedicate ministries on issues like this that keep stealing members from christainity rather than prosperity ministries that encourage logical-minded Christians to leave.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by hackney(m): 4:50pm On Nov 18, 2010
Psalm 14:1
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

Despite all the calamities in the world both natural and man-made, i believe that
God exists and made all things.
In addition to my belief in the bible (king james version pls), i also sometimes look at living things and
think: there's no way that was by chance or evolution.

If one believes that humans were monkeys, then why are there still monkeys in the bushes?
Some monkey lineages (since life began)are old enough that they should be walking upright out of the forests right about now.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Rhino4dm: 4:51pm On Nov 18, 2010
Am not one so cant answer those OP's question,
but if you wanna be an atheist just pretend there is no God. Done!
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by infobut(m): 5:01pm On Nov 18, 2010
Well i don't blame any of you. How will you know if there is a God when you haven't seek him. I always believed and each passing day make me believe strongly there is a God watching over us and believe me the Fear of him is the best you can do for yourselves. Help me thank God I asked him for a Job and he Just confirmed it for me today.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by coldhearts(f): 5:03pm On Nov 18, 2010
i guess i became an atheist roughly 3 years ago but a few times my old instincts gets me and i have to say there has to be a God, if  not , then it must be a good force/energy out there looking out for the weak when it chooses to.

logic wink like most people here have said. Besides, look all around you and you'll see war, sufferring, injustice  and a good amount of rogues partying everyday, Now why is it that nothing happens to change this or perhaps fairy tales are just that-fairy tales.

semi religious (we celebrated christmas, did ramadan etc why?, parents had both muslim and christian background)

most repungent religion = Judaism / Christianity / Islam but who am i to judge

less repungent= traditional african religions with major modifications, budhism perhaps or some eastern religion of peace

Death is inevitable, might has well be at peace with it

Whether it's pre or post marital; this is up to each individual. Just do right and be well informed

Don't steal OK but if you really must, make sure you do it extremely big and complicated like wall street cos then you might get away with it
Don't lie wink
Murder of innocent or weak is very bad but murder of a wicked person or one that has killed many others and i won't be concerned. Nevertheless, murder is bad,
There is no such thing as after-life, in fact, that's a big gamble. Enjoy this place first  grin.

If we do right as humans first, atheism or some religion will be practiced the right way, basically mold us to be better i think.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by lonewolf: 5:34pm On Nov 18, 2010
I would go so far as to refer to myself as an atheist, but I am definitely agnostic. I simply don't care. These feelings are traceable to the fact that an empirical consideration of what's written in the 'holy' books -- in my opinion -- do not really pass the sniff test. So, I just live my life day to day, trying to stay within the ambit of the law and treating people as fairly as I can.

In the end, I think we are most likely worm food; so, I don't really care.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by marcus1234: 5:44pm On Nov 18, 2010
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by bawomolo(m): 6:10pm On Nov 18, 2010
kambo:

lack of interest in the supernatural mystical mumbo jumo

not at all

which religion do  you particular find repugnant?

no religion persay just radical brands of any religion. for example,  i see a sufi muslim in a different light from some wahabi muslim. 

wanted to be religious -

i dunno, Buddhism perhaps. 

what are you views on :

death

we all gonna die.

pre/post marital sex

do it with people you trust.

stealing

is bad, don't caught if u do it though  grin

lying

see above

murder

wrong wrong wrong, i have no problem with assisted suicide though.

afterlife

has no relevance to me

then it must be a good force/energy out there looking out for the weak when it chooses to.

why does this force need to have a "good" or have a metaphysical aspect to it?  what's your definition of good?
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by saviola77(m): 6:22pm On Nov 18, 2010
I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by coldhearts(f): 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2010
"why does this force need to have a "good" or have a metaphysical aspect to it?  what's your definition of good?" by  bawomolo

That is just an old belief from childhood cheesy
Definition of good for me is really simple - just do right as much as you can, try to minimize or rather avoid causing other people misery wink.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by InkedNerd(f): 6:53pm On Nov 18, 2010
@OP:

(1)
When did you become an atheist?

I'm not one. I'm more of an agnostic rather than an atheist.

(2) Please share your story of how you became an atheist?

I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm an atheist--I'm more of an agnostic rather than an atheist. Ever since I was about 6 or 7 years old I always questioned the existence of a "higher power"/ "higher being" and made it know to those who were older than me. When I'd ask questions, I'd never get an exact answer to what I'd ask. My questions to those who were older than we would always lead me to more questions and no answers. Although my questions were never answered, I still continued to observe my families religious practices. As I got older, I started to wonder if I was an atheist. Eventually, after a lot of thought and research I came to the conclusion that I wasn't an atheist.

(3) What prompted you to make that decision?

I suppose it would be that I felt that agnosticism better suited my thoughts and feelings about religion.

(4) Do you come from a family of atheists? (no insults meant here)

Nope, nothin' but sheepish die hard Christians.

(5) Which religion do  you particular find repugnant?

Hmmm, I can't really say that there is one particular religion that stands out to me. Each religion possesses some qualities of repugnancy whether big or small.

(6) Which religion do you find - nearly acceptable if you wanted to be religious?

Just like question number 5, there's no one religion that I can say that I lean towards. For years, [even when I was still questioning myself] I would take elements of various religions and apply it to how I live my life.

(7) What are you views on[b]:[/b] death, pre[b]/[/b]post marital sex, stealing, lying, murder, afterlife?

Death: Ehh, it's part of life. Eventually it will happen. If something doesn't die, I'd really have to question its existence.

Pre[b]/[/b]post marital sex: We are all human beings, and we all have intimate needs and desires. It is unnatural for us as human beings to repress and deny ourselves of sex. Is is possible? Yes, but it is not within our nature as humans to repress or deny something that has already been genetically ingrained in us so whether you have intimacy before or after marriage is irrelevant. All I would advise is that if an individual wants to engage in premarital sex then be sure to practice safe sex AT ALL TIMES. As for sex after marriage, both individuals [in my opinion] should continue to practice safe sex. I know that this day in age there are spouses who step outside of the marriage, have[b]/[/b]get  STD's, and for various other reasons partake in things that is not conducive to the health of the marriage.  

Stealing: Stealing comes in various forms. I'm not saying its right but I'm not saying its wrong, but it happens--There are people on Wall St. who are stealing millions of dollars from people everyday for their selfish needs and there are those who are stealing due to poverty, desperation etc. It comes in many forms.

Murder: Hmmm, tricky question here. I'll get back to you on that one.

Lying: Same answer as the murder question.

Afterlife: I can't cay that I know what will happen after I or anyone one else dies, but personally I think when you die you die. I don't believe that there is actually an afterlife. The only afterlife I really say that I "believe" [and I'm saying that very loosely] in is how the living deal with death after someone has died.  

(8 ) Many views on the above subjects are influenced by religion. Without religious injunctions the actions become amoral.

Now this here seems like a one side statement. I have many friends from Denmark [and if you don't know the Danes are one of the least religious in the world] and these friends of mine are my far one of the most upright and 'moral' people I have ever know compared to the religious people I know. A person can still be a functioning and productive member of society without religious influences. Not having learned these 'morals' through religious is very much possible. I mean c'mon, do you really need religion in your life to tell you that you shouldn't randomly stab someone? Do you really need religion to tell you to help someone lying on the street all bruised up and in need of help? I mean c'mon!!!

@bawomolo: I had no idea that you're an atheist. Wait a minute, are you actually a guy or a girl? Oh well, whatever.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by blackcypha(m): 7:21pm On Nov 18, 2010
am not one am an agnostiic grin grin grin grin
wateva is my answer to all your questons,
guess wat? at the end of the ages,s/one wud take a BiG LOSS and s/one will take a WiN in the arguement of "iS THERE REALLY AN AFTERLiFE OR A GOD"
then we"ll all find out whose has been RiGHT OR WRONG ALL THESE YEARS,
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by harakiri(m): 7:21pm On Nov 18, 2010

Depends on what you mean by "atheist".If that implies me not being a religious zombie a.k.a living vegetable a.k.a bandwagon member who swallows every propaganda of the Jewish god, THEN I AM BY ALL MEANS A BONAFIDE ATHEIST! ! !

atheist ?

Easy. . .i have always known that a lot of things concerning religion (especially christianity) didn't add up since the tender age of 12. At the age of 15, i was bold enough to ask a few mind boggling questions concerning inconsistencies in the bible and the bible class leader "rebuked" me right in front of everyone for "questioning the lord". I now reminded him that even Jesus questioned the Pharisees in the bible and for me to have the ardacity to say that, i was sent away from bible class.This happened 15 years ago (i am 30 now). I continued reading the bible as well as other religious scrolls and the deeper i got into it, the more blatant lies and falsehood i uncovered.

The moment i was convinced beyond all reasonable doubt that it's all a scam and mind control technique.

There's nothing insultive about that. I come from a family that was brainwashed with religion from childhood (same as 99.9% of ALL Nigerians)

which religion do  you particular find repugnant?

They are all the same. I just pity those who don't have the guts to open their eyes and see with crystal clear lens. The day they wake up and see religion for what it really is (without an bias), is the day they'll regret all the wasted years of offerings, tithing,sowing of seeds, first fruits. . .and in the end, life will not be as complicated as it's made up to be.

wanted to be religious -

I will reply this question with a question : WHY DO YOU THE POSTER FEEL THAT EVERYONE MUST HAVE A RELIGION? Must everyone be religious? This is part of the brainwashing syndrome i keep talking about. In Africa, if you are not into one religion or the other, religious zombie a.k.a most people believe you are weird,odd and a nobody. The same zombies forget that what they practise is an imported religion of which the same people who brought it don't take it as serious as we do.Let's face it : Is ATHEIST an african word?

what are you views on :

death

Everything dies.It's inevitable.I wonder why people make a big deal out of it.

pre/post marital sex

It's a choice. For some, it works out well and others, it results in stds and unwanted pregnancies. Let's not forget that there are people who get abused without their consent.What do holier than thou people have to say about them? Where is your bleeding heart for them? Or was it their fault? Talk about hypocrisy at it's best!

stealing

Depends on what you call stealing. A man steals a tuber of yam and he's butchered to death as a thief. Jesus and his disciples went into another man's field on a Sabbath day to eat corn because they were hungry. I don't know if it's just me but anyway you look at it, THAT WAS STEALING! Try that anywhere and you'll be called a thief but i am sure the religious zombies are extremely brainwashed to think towards that direction.

lying

I believe in telling the truth (most of the time) but there are cases where you have to do otherwise for peace to reign. Even Jesus lied in the bible when he was being tortured (when he was being slapped by the Pharisees, he insulted them and when Pilate was infuriated, the same "holy" Jesus apologized that he didn't know he was in the presence of a powerful man. . .that was a blatant lie).It's like being in Lagos and claiming not to know who Fashola is. Peter nko? Didn't he deny Jesus 3 times? What are we talking about? Everybody lies at some point or the other for reasons best known to them. I'm dead sick of all these holier than thou zombies who act as if lying and petty "sins" are the cause of Nigeria's problems.Rubbish!
murder

Unpleasant business but come to think about, didn't the Jewish god instruct his "people" to go to other lands and kill every man,woman and child and on top of that, plunder the livestock,valuables and eventually burn it to the ground. If this isn't mass murder (genocide), then i don't know what else is. . .and the disturbing part is that these brainwashed zombies will still find some way to justify that barbaric act. Animals! ! !

afterlife

Show me living proof of one person who has been there and back and i might consider the possibility of it's existence.

My friend, being religious doesn't necessarily make you a better human being. There are people who wake up at 4.30am with CeCe Winnans playing at the background,go to church 3 times a week, pay every damn scam money to the church and in the end, they are the worst creatures you can come across. It all boils down to principles and discipline.

Get your priorities right. Not everyone is meant to be a brainwashed dummy a.k.a religious vegetable.

Nuff said! ! !
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by bawomolo(m): 7:27pm On Nov 18, 2010
inked nerd is an agnostic? hmm not shocked.

lots of you guys who claim to be agnostic are most likely weak atheists.   just hop over the fence guys.

@bawomolo: I had no idea that you're an atheist. Wait a minute, are you actually a guy or a girl? Oh well, whatever.

bawo is all man, yoiu can unzip my pants to see cheesy

i never hid my atheism. thought my rabid liberalism was open for all to see.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Donmeca(m): 7:42pm On Nov 18, 2010

Not yet, still discussing d terms. . . what is in it for me? What benefits will accrue to me (academically, morally, socially, politically, and ultimately financially) if I repent of my Christian beliefs? I don't move for the sake of movt.

Sometimes my tots wander but i usually will them back with a great force. But I'll gladly allow them if I get to know all that I stand to gain from d action.

Of course not. . .born a Catholic and still a Catholic tho other denominations are distracting me. They make it look like Christianity is diff from Catholicism. They look at me as Catholic and themselves as Christians. . . imagine. Guess the religion is actually divided into 3 viz; Catholic, Anglican, and Methodist on one side vs all Pentecostals(GoG, AGC, BLW, Winners, RCCG, TREM. . .endless) on another hand vs the spirituals (Cele, African, Appostolic, OOO, etc) on yet another hand.

It worries me but I can't change it.

Bottomline: I'm still a Christian/Catholic till I get a better offer (better answers to my querries)

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by CaptCavey(m): 7:44pm On Nov 18, 2010
I think is more of a burden to believe there is no God than to believe there is truly a God. Any rational thinker won't say the former. Unless those who like to hide under the theories and hypothesis of some people who think believing such would place a limit on them  in their  various fields. To them, is much of a ego thing.

To believe or not believe in God is what you need to discover yourself. Forget about the "big bang" idea. Forget about darwins thought about who you are,or how you came about- evolution. These are just the thought of some people. Discover this fact yourself. If this world self-created itself by chance,i tell you, we'll have to live our lives and every other things by chance.
The universe,the complexity of creation is just too  perfectly complementing that we cannot let "chance" take the credit. I'll rather say i created the universe,instead of given the credit to "chance". Only losers wages all on chances aka uncertainties!
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by InkedNerd(f): 7:52pm On Nov 18, 2010
bawomolo:

inked nerd is an agnostic? hmm not shocked.

lots of you guys who claim to be agnostic are most likely weak atheists.   just hop over the fence guys.

bawo is all man, yoiu can unzip my pants to see  cheesy

i never hid my atheism.  thought my rabid liberalism was open for all to see.

All man eh? Oya drop 'em!!!

Ouch!!! So you think I'm a "weak atheist" because I'm not munchin' on grass on your side of the fence eh? Smh.

As for your atheism, although you say your "rabid liberalism" was open for all to see, it wasn't really apparent  to me since I still don't know much about you. You still seem like a stranger in a sense.

harakiri:

WHY DO YOU THE POSTER FEEL THAT EVERYONE MUST HAVE A RELIGION? Must everyone be religious? This is part of the brainwashing syndrome i keep talking about. In Africa, if you are not into one religion or the other, religious zombie a.k.a most people believe you are weird,odd and a nobody. The same zombies forget that what they practise is an imported religion of which the same people who brought it don't take it as serious as we do.Let's face it : Is ATHEIST an african word?

I liked the first question wink.

Capt. Cavey:

I think is more of a burden to believe there is no God than to believe there is truly a God. Any rational thinker won't say the former. Unless those who like to hide under the theories and hypothesis of some people who think believing such would place a limit on them  in their  various fields. To them, is much of a ego thing.

To believe or not believe in God is what you need to discover yourself. Forget about the "big bang" idea. Forget about darwins thought about who you are,or how you came about- evolution. These are just the thought of some people. Discover this fact yourself. If this world self-created itself by chance,i tell you, we'll have to live our lives and every other things by chance.
The universe,the complexity of creation is just too  perfectly complementing that we cannot let "chance" take the credit. I'll rather say i created the universe,instead of given the credit to "chance". Only losers wages all on chances aka uncertainties!  

Hmmm, food for thought wink.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by UyiIredia(m): 8:04pm On Nov 18, 2010
@ Mudley >>> guess your former post was to plant your unbelief in me  huh  undecided  >>> too bad  

@ topic >>> i wouldn't deny i could become atheist >>> when I made the  choice to become a Christian >>> i prayed that God should grant me the grace to keep my faith >>> built it up by reading the whole Bible at age 9 and reading a large number of Christian literature >>> *that's when I did ask questions concerning seeming contradictions in Christianity. At least in how it's practiced, at most whether God was real.* >>> of course most of my take on Atheism and Agnoticism was formed by what I 'd read in those literature >>> some were factual about atheist philosophy_some weren't

i took greater interest in atheism after watching Dawkins' video fairly recently (about 4 months ago) >>> but inspite of how articulate he is the tacit plea that runs in his arguments (and other atheists arguments) is for me to believe there is no God (especially given evolution) >>> in my thoughts on atheist arguments and how it could plausibly influence me and my religious >>> i think i would most likely become deist (in the mold of Spinoza though) >>> nature is enough proof for God

Anyways >>> i'm still a Christian and fully believe in the Bible (a restatement of my faith) >>> i'm convinced of the fact that truth is subjective especially when it comes to one's religious (or irreligious) worldview >>> they require both belief and faith
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 18, 2010
1. I think I was born an atheist
2. same as above
3. same as above
4. No my mum and siblings are all " good " christians
5. They are all the same
6. All the same
7. we all gotta die
8. sex should be shared between people who trust one another
9. stealing would depend on the purpose for stealing , it could be good , bad or just ugly
10. same as above
11. murder is bad no matter how you look at it
12. No such thing as an afterlife

would really like to elaborate but I'm typing from a phone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can man live without God? Why do people who reject God seem to live happy lives / 5 Unbelievably Good Reasons To Read Your Bible / A Spiritual Entity Sighted In Lagos Riding In The Clouds This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.