Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Gerrymandering - Redistricting - Is Coming In 2011. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gerrymandering - Redistricting - Is Coming In 2011. (1122 Views)

Russian Intelligence Warned America About Boston Terrorists In 2011 / Romney Releases Tax Docs, Paid $1.9 Million In 2011 / Could The Middle East Erupt Into All Out War In 2011 - Egypt Warns Israel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gerrymandering - Redistricting - Is Coming In 2011. by NegroNtns(m): 7:55pm On Nov 18, 2010
The apportioned number of members in the House of Reps will increase next year. It is currently at 435. Each state - there are 50 - is apportioned a minimum of 1 member. This means 385 seats are distributed amongst the 50 states in an equity formula based on the 2000 national census.

The 2010 census will raise the number from 385 and there are two or three factors that will primarily affect what state get what.

1. cross-emigration from economically adversed states.
2. incentives-driven immigration to economically viable regions
3. mid-term tea-party/republican victories in state executives and legislatures.

The Federal Government will give each state the number of House members allocated it but the state is totally responsible for determining the districts and constituents the representation will come from.

So definitely in those states where the 3 factor is true, we can expect a redrawing of electoral districts.

This is huge considering that it also plays directly into the Presidential election, via electoral college! There are several states with double digit number of representatives and they are - California (53), New York, Texas (32), (29), Florida (25), Illinois and Pennsylvania (19 each), Ohio (18), Michigan (15), New Jersey, Georgia and North Carolina (13 each), Virginia (11) and Massachusetts (10).

Now, to forecast how this will affect 2012 elections, consider which state is impacted which of the three factors. Some of them like Michigan is impacted by 1 and 3.

To those who would like President Obama to win a second term, now is the time to start your home work and push the grassroot hard against a politically favorable victory for the Repubs in 2012.
Re: Gerrymandering - Redistricting - Is Coming In 2011. by JeSoul(f): 9:43pm On Nov 18, 2010
Negro you chop political winch? this your DC state of mind hmm . . . is not healthy for you oh. My offer for dinner at that ghanian restaurant is still open smiley
Re: Gerrymandering - Redistricting - Is Coming In 2011. by NegroNtns(m): 11:01pm On Nov 18, 2010
LMAO! I am ambitious. . . . . I might become a lobbyist one day, you never know. Whoever said politicians live a healthy life? They either die on top woman or suffer heart attack because of one. grin

That kenke dinner Im still in for it. . . . for spring time nah me and you o!
Re: Gerrymandering - Redistricting - Is Coming In 2011. by preselect(m): 12:01am On Nov 19, 2010
Jesoul has never invited me to dinner undecided
Re: Gerrymandering - Redistricting - Is Coming In 2011. by JeSoul(f): 4:50am On Nov 19, 2010
Prez you have never promised to come and see me now. Negro has so he's invited to dinner smiley. Care to come?

Negro spring it is! No think say i go forget oh. And if you become lobbyist abeg no forget me oh, me self i need my own govt cheese smiley
Re: Gerrymandering - Redistricting - Is Coming In 2011. by NegroNtns(m): 5:56pm On Nov 19, 2010
. . . .if I dont die on top before then. grin

(1) (Reply)

You Wont Believe These About Gaddafi / Inside Russian "Doomsday Plane. / Saudi Arabia Forms Coalition Of 34 Islamic Countries To Fight Terrorism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.