Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,081 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? (19342 Views)

As Christians, What Does It Truly Mean By No Sex Before Marriage? / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? / Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by TechCapon(m): 7:02am On Nov 17, 2019
Seriously as Christians, we need to study our Bible and learn things for ourselves because there are so many things pastors will refuse to teach us in church and even if they do they won't elaborate on it.
I was reading my Bible this morning and came Matthew 26 when Jesus was in Bethany and a woman came and pour an expensive ointment on his head, the disciples Judas Iscariot complained that she was wasting the oil that it should be sold and the money given to the poor instead.

Mathew 26:9
This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

Jesus responded and said something very striking.
Mathew 26:9-11

“Why criticize this woman for doing such a good thing to me?You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

What did Jesus mean by that?

Did he mean that poverty is a phenomenon that will always be in the world forever?

If so, why are pastors always preaching prosperity? Why are they not telling their members the truth?

Bible experts please explain because pastors hardly preach about this particular scripture.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by RichDad1(m): 7:03am On Nov 17, 2019
To every action, there are equal and opposite reactions. grin
Front / Back
Good/ bad
Light / Dark
Rich/ Poor
Up/ Down
Big/ Small
Wise/ Foolish
Happy/ Sad
And the list goes on! cool

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 17, 2019
John who was the closest disciple to Jesus put this better:

John 12:4-8 (KJV)

4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

So point of correction, it was not the disciples that said that, but just one of them.

Secondly, he said that not because he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief and was the one who kept the bag.

As for your Op question, the reason Jesus said that was because poverty wasn't in the beginning when God made man, hence it wasn't God's Will for man but man chose it by his freewill.

So poverty would always be there even after Jesus dies for man's sins, since it would take for man's freewill to partake of His salvation combined with the fact that most men are not willing to do what it takes to be saved.

But in an ideal setting where all men had of their own free will met the requirement of salvation, the poor would no longer be there, because everything would have been reversed back to the way it was in the beginning where there was no poverty.

God bless.

70 Likes 9 Shares

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by TheGiftedOne(m): 7:07am On Nov 17, 2019
At every point in time, there Will always be poor people. Before, during and after Jesus, poverty have continued to affect people. Financial and economic equity have never been realized. Thus amongst other things, the kingdom of God will cause an equalization of wealth.

Isaiah 65:21-23.

25 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by 3rdavefarms(m): 7:07am On Nov 17, 2019
Yes
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Tintinnoty(m): 7:07am On Nov 17, 2019
Definitely, poor people will not cease to exist. People are not only financially poor, you can be poor spiritually, physically. Even lack of knowledge is another sign of being poor. In the scenario sighted in Matthew 26, Judas is spiritually poor to see the motive of the said woman, his sense of reasoning has been beclouded by his greed which eventually drove him into betraying Jesus christ.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by izzou(m): 7:08am On Nov 17, 2019
I think you're taking that verse out of its context

Jesus was saying, in relation to TIME, his was shorter compared to the poor which his disciple suggested. She could still use the oil to help the poor(that will always be available), unlike him, that will be gone soon

133 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by bbode1(m): 7:08am On Nov 17, 2019
Smiles
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Upworkwriter007(f): 7:08am On Nov 17, 2019
statement of fact......pastor's preach prosperity so that those who don't want to be along will excuse themselves.....But I'm also scared of the part of the bible that said "the rich was created for the poor" the word created baffled me.....

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Hotfreezer: 7:08am On Nov 17, 2019
That is in the Holy Bible.

In the Nigerian Bible which most Nigerian pastors use to preach, you won't find that there. They have slim fitted their Bibles to contain only things which people want to hear. The hard truths which the Holy Bible contains, they don't preach it.

Imagine dancing for 2 hours in Church only for the Pastor to come and preach that the poor would always be among you. After that kind preaching, you go gree drop money?

That's why most collect money before sermon. In case the thing pinch you for body, you no fit talk say you no drop money again.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by mrwonlasewonie: 7:08am On Nov 17, 2019
It means that no matter the government policy, no matter how much you help some family members, neighbors or people,there will always be poor people.you can't just help it

Even the best government in the world can't ERADICATE poverty,they can only alleviate or reduce poverty

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by emmabest2000(m): 7:08am On Nov 17, 2019
The word POOR in that statement represent HUMBLE ! It’s only those who are in spirit will understand the real meaning of the statement !

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by englishmart(m): 7:08am On Nov 17, 2019
He meant Nigerians

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by dapper247: 7:08am On Nov 17, 2019
To balance the equation in this earth
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by NonFarmPayrol: 7:09am On Nov 17, 2019
He meant hustleooooh

So that you wont be among them

18 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by philip0906(m): 7:09am On Nov 17, 2019
izzou:

Jesus was saying, in relation to TIME, his was shorter compared to the poor which his disciple suggested. She could still use the oil to help the poor(that will always be available), unlike him, that will be gone soon
Well said

13 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Krakboi(m): 7:10am On Nov 17, 2019
So how did the OP take the verse out of context when you just basically regurgitated all that was said in the earlier sentence? You are funny sha
izzou:

10 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by ecclize: 7:10am On Nov 17, 2019
hmmm...
what Op is insinuating is correct...
the statement is what it is and is not been blown out of proportion...
There will always be the poor in the world take it or leave...
The pastors knew this but is it there fault that u refuse to read ur bible and see this?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Mikegking: 7:10am On Nov 17, 2019
B
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by FactBoyz: 7:11am On Nov 17, 2019
angry
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Iheoforlex: 7:12am On Nov 17, 2019
Most pastors preach only what their member wants to hear ...

3 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by RichDad1(m): 7:12am On Nov 17, 2019
If everyone is rich, there would be inflation. tongue tongue
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by izzou(m): 7:12am On Nov 17, 2019
Krakboi:
So how did the OP take the verse out of context when you just basically regurgitated all that was said in the earlier sentence? You are funny sha

Yes, I'm funny. My sugar mummy said that last night

The op brought Pastors and prosperity in it..... Very off, in my opinion.

The meaning of Jesus's statement is not to eulogise or encourage poverty. He was speaking in relation to TIME.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by philip0906(m): 7:12am On Nov 17, 2019
Krakboi:
He didn't regurgitate anything! The @op took the verse out of context based on his post- Pastor, poverty yada yada

He simply explained EXACTLY, what that passage means. Which is succinct!

13 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by BanevsJoker(m): 7:12am On Nov 17, 2019
I believe it means you will always have an opportunity to show kindness to the poor, but he wouldn't always be with you, as he was going to be crucified soon. So do not use the poor as an excuse for not showing kindness to him.

28 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Yunioppp: 7:13am On Nov 17, 2019
sure winning ticket available for pay after win
chat up via 070-195-348-21
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by iCauseTrouble: 7:13am On Nov 17, 2019
shocked
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by buchilino(m): 7:13am On Nov 17, 2019
POVERTY DOESN'T ONLY MEAN FINANCIALLY.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by RichDad1(m): 7:13am On Nov 17, 2019
Modestcoder17:
Maybe he meant poor mentality
No. Because the subject was an economic discussion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Poverty Is Why Many People Are Religious And Churchy - Reno Omokri / Daddy Freeze: Proverbs, Psalms Not Written By Christians, Not Good For Doctrine / A Thread Of My Questions To Vaxx on his religion - Yoruba Traditional belief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.