Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,856 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:50 AM

Ribadu The Tribalist. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu The Tribalist. (2983 Views)

To The Tribalist And Ethic Warlords / Taming The Tribalist / OAM4J The Tribalist, Where Is The Thread: 32 Caught For Card Identity Theft (2) (3) (4)

Ribadu The Tribalist. by SapeleGuy: 11:02pm On Nov 18, 2010
An interview with Nihu Ribadu

An interview with Nigeria's Mr Anti-Corruption

Nov 12th 2010, 16:23 by S.A. | LAGOS

A RECENT issue of The Economist examined the presidential bid of Nuhu Ribadu, Nigeria’s former anti-corruption chief. Mr Ribadu made his name as the first head of Nigeria’s Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in 2003. In this role, he pursued politicians and civil servants who were embezzling the energy revenues of Africa’s biggest oil and gas producer

Mr Ribadu’s fortunes dipped when Umaru Yar’Adua took office as president in 2007. The sleazebuster was sidelined and later fled the country, returning only after Mr Yar’Adua’s death in May this year. He now hopes to run for the top job himself in elections due in early 2011.

Baobab talked to Mr Ribadu about whether he would be able to run a clean campaign in Nigeria’s often murky political scene.

Baobab: Why have you decided to run for president next year?

Nuhu Ribadu: I understand now that to bring about change I need political power at the highest level. That means the presidency. I have worked under a president, and many say we did a good job at the EFCC, but when change came [and a new president took office] all our work was destroyed. It was all reversed.”

Baobab: How will you use presidential power to continue your fight against corruption?

NR: Just appointing me will be half the answer. [b]When people see me, they will sit up and know that the era of corruption is over. [/b]On the practical level, I will run a transparent government that publishes accounts online. I will create “whistleblower laws” to protect the identities of those who expose corruption. I will reform the police and the judiciary.

Corruption causes all the problems that we have here. It causes the poverty and the insecurity. And there is no one better qualified to address the problem of corruption in this country than me.

Baobab: Nigerian political campaigns are costly affairs that often rely on the sponsorship of unsavoury characters. Can you run a clean campaign in a dirty system? For example, will you probe your sponsors to find out the sources of their wealth?

NR: Everything about me has always been clean and this will be a clean campaign, in any case, I will not need as much money as other parties because I am not going to bribe anyone. My campaign is about winning over people with my ideas, not my money.

But I will not probe anybody. I am not the EFCC chairman here - I am a politician who is trying to get people to support me. If money is coming to change a system that needs change, why should [the source] matter? Why try to destroy this opportunity?

Baobab: You have chosen to run against the ruling People's Democratic Party with the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN). Some Nigerian are raising eyebrows at this choice. Bola Tinubu, one of the ACN’s most powerful members, has been under EFCC investigation for years. Does this concern you?

NR: You should not worry about individuals when you are working on a project of this magnitude. It might affect the outcome, I am convinced that the mission we are out to do is not about an individual.

Baobab: Your critics also note that you have never held political office before. Why not serve as a senator or governor for one term, and then run for president in 2015?

NR: We can’t wait for 2015. Nigeria's problems must be arrested immediately. There is no way we can allow this mess to continue. Also, for the first time, the ruling party is in real trouble. Goodluck Jonathan [the incumbent] is from a very small ethnic group, Sadly, even if he were the best person for the job, northern Nigeria would never accept it. He is not electable.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by SapeleGuy: 11:17pm On Nov 18, 2010
To many on this forum, Ribadu is the messiah, in reality his coming is nothing but a false dawn, in this interview with The Economist he has shown himself to be arrogant, contradictory, myopic, conceited and a big tribalist.

In one sentence Ribadu has shown us his true colours:

"Goodluck Jonathan [the incumbent] is from a very small ethnic group, Sadly, even if he were the best person for the job, northern Nigeria would never accept it. He is not electable."

I have posted this for the benefit of Ribadus supporters who come from "very small ethnic groups"
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by amingafar(m): 11:22pm On Nov 18, 2010
he is not lying he is telling the truth majority of muslim north will not except jonatan

i agree with him that is why we need a muslim northerner who is progressive
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by asha80(m): 11:25pm On Nov 18, 2010
did he really say that ?
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Beaf: 11:26pm On Nov 18, 2010
This is the source of the interview:
www.economist.com/blogs/baobab/2010/11/interview_nihu_ribadu

Ribadu just joined my id!ot list. I have his picture in my profile, it is coming down. The man is nothing short of a fool.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by amingafar(m): 11:29pm On Nov 18, 2010
he is telling the truth
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by EzeUche0(m): 11:31pm On Nov 18, 2010
I take this as an insult to ALL Eastern people! undecided
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by jason12345: 11:35pm On Nov 18, 2010
EzeUche0:

why undecided. pls stop patronising them. its not meant to insult you, i'm just stating the obvious.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by SapeleGuy: 11:42pm On Nov 18, 2010
amingafar:

he is not lying he is telling the truth majority of muslim north will not except jonatan

i agree with him that is why we need a muslim northerner who is progressive

Is it only Jonathan, those from very small tribes, southerners in general or non muslims that you have a problem accepting
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by aljharem(m): 11:46pm On Nov 18, 2010
ribadu, thanks for not lying
EzeUche0:

is he lying

m.u.m.u
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Beaf: 11:51pm On Nov 18, 2010
Ribadu's political career just ended.

With every single interview he gave, his political worth dipped. In the past, I have put the blame on ACN for letting him get on camera unprepared, I blamed Tinubu for using him; but now I know better, he is simply afflicted with a very low IQ.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by SapeleGuy: 11:56pm On Nov 18, 2010
Beaf:

Not before time too, the guy is naive. Dumping him was the best thing Tinubu has done since appointing Fashola.

To coin a Yoruba phrase, Ribadu nah oloshi somebody.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by amingafar(m): 11:57pm On Nov 18, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Is it only Jonathan, those from very small tribes, southerners in general or non muslims that you have a problem accepting

a little of everything

if he was muslim he would be able to appeal to muslim minorities in the north but hes not. so. . . .  hes unelectable by northern votes
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by aljharem(m): 11:58pm On Nov 18, 2010
Beaf:

With every single interview he gave, his political worth dipped. In the past, I have put the blame on ACN for letting him get on camera unprepared, I blamed Tinubu for using him; but now I know better, he is simply afflicted with a very low IQ.

how has it ended, is he because he is saying the truth
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Beaf: 12:06am On Nov 19, 2010
amingafar:

a little of everything

if he was muslim he would be able to appeal to muslim minorities in the north but hes not. so. . . .  hes unelectable by northern votes

I pity you. More than half Northern votes will turn out to be Christian in any truthful election or census. Deserts and Savannahs are not known to host huge populations, except by miracle (such as counting goats and cows).
Only the foolish count drag their religion into politics, and this time traps are out for the foolish.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by amingafar(m): 12:07am On Nov 19, 2010
Beaf:

I pity you. More than half Northern votes will turn out to be Christian in any truthful election or census. Deserts and Savannahs are not known to host huge populations, except by miracle (such as counting goats and cows).
Only the foolish count drag into politics and this time, the traps are out for the foolish.

pls name those states
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by houvest: 12:08am On Nov 19, 2010
So the word 'inellectable' has crept into Nigerian poltics. Sad
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by amingafar(m): 12:13am On Nov 19, 2010
beaf can you pls name the states that will comout and vote for jonathan?
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by amingafar(m): 12:27am On Nov 19, 2010
ribadu for president hes speaking the truth
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Beaf: 12:30am On Nov 19, 2010
amingafar:

beaf can you pls name the states that will comout and vote for jonathan?

Jonathan is sweeping everything up to Kaduna.

In 2011, the almajiri's will be kept under lock and key. After 2011 those poor enslaved kids will be educated and given a brand new lease of life that will destroy una "power" for ever and ever. . . Just a taster. cool
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by EzeUche0(m): 12:40am On Nov 19, 2010
jason12345:

why undecided. pls stop patronising them. its not meant to insult you, i'm just stating the obvious.

Can you shut up? I am just as much a Niger Deltan as anyone else. Insulting a minority group makes me angry since half of my family is from one of these Niger Delta minority groups.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Onlytruth(m): 12:51am On Nov 19, 2010
lol. If I am an Eastern or southern minority, I would not dine with aboki with a looooooooooooooog spoon.

I would also shine my eyes before dinning with nwa Yoruba.

Same people lying against Ndigbo to divide us with our brothers. We Ndigbo have always known these folks. The question is whether our neighbors have learned anything.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by jason12345: 12:55am On Nov 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

lol. If I am an Eastern or southern minority, I would not dine with aboki with a looooooooooooooog spoon.

Same people lying against Ndigbo to divide us with our brothers. We Ndigbo have always known these folks. The question is whether our neighbors have learned anything.

and why should they dine with you?
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by aljharem(m): 12:55am On Nov 19, 2010
EzeUche0:

Can you shut up? I am just as much a Niger Deltan as anyone else. Insulting a minority group makes me angry since half of my family is from one of these Niger Delta minority groups.

a beg shut up, this jason is smarter than u so listen to him when he talks angry
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by aljharem(m): 12:57am On Nov 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

u always think u are clever in ur analysis kai

inyamarai never change
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Onlytruth(m): 1:00am On Nov 19, 2010
jason12345:

and why should they dine with you?

I'll allow them to answer that question but I would guess that they will not be discriminated against for being Christians.

If I bring out a picture of Igbo and other minorities, you will not be able to spot the difference.

Our leaders in the east made some mistakes. We are fixing that mistake now.

Your people have always wanted to rip where they did not sow, and still discriminate against the guy whose resources are feeding you. Igbo man won't be that stupid.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by T9ksy(m): 1:01am On Nov 19, 2010
Quote from: EzeUche0 on Today at 12:40:27 AM

I am yoruba and proud to be one. Nevertheless, i still found Ribadu's statement concerning minority group ( in the country), distasteful and imprudent. Especially when one take into account that this so-called "minority group" contributes more into the kitty than Ribadu's "majority group".

Oh well, am glad the man is finally showing his true colours for all to discern. He never had my vote right from day One, anyway. I would rather give my vote to JEG even tho' its obvious that he's not the messiah, we all have been waiting for.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by Beaf: 1:02am On Nov 19, 2010
alj harem:

u always think u are clever in your analysis kai

inyamarai never change

Do people from your village weep each time you open your mouth? Cos its like there's only grass growing between your ears.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by amingafar(m): 1:04am On Nov 19, 2010
voting for a southerner who is christian is not realiztic.

He is a christian and hes from the south.

it wont happen maybe if he can get the middle belt west east and nd to vote for him possibly but he def cant get muslim votes not happening.
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by jason12345: 1:08am On Nov 19, 2010
amingafar:

voting for a southerner who is christian is not realiztic.

He is a christian and hes from the south.

it wont happen maybe if he can get the middle belt west east and nd to vote for him possibly but he def cant get muslim votes not happening.

its like you guys are doing a jihad on nigeria!
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by ladi02(m): 1:51am On Nov 19, 2010
Ribadu is saying ACN has a chance finally to displace PDP simple, stop reading so much into it.

Ribadu is very likely going to win this election, get used to it!

Vote wisely, Vote Ribadu!

Say No to PDP!
Re: Ribadu The Tribalist. by koruji(m): 2:03am On Nov 19, 2010
I think you guys are mixing the fact that Ribadu is raw with being tribalist. If you pay attention to the word "Sadly" in that statement you will see that he is stating an open truth that he doesn't agree with. Not very tactful, but he is not being tribalist!

T9ksy:

Quote from: EzeUche0 on Today at 12:40:27 AM
I am yoruba and proud to be one. Nevertheless, i still found Ribadu's statement concerning minority group ( in the country), distasteful and imprudent. Especially when one take into account that this so-called "minority group" contributes more into the kitty than Ribadu's "majority group".

Oh well, am glad the man is finally showing his true colours for all to discern. He never had my vote right from day One, anyway. I would rather give my vote to JEG even tho' its obvious that he's not the messiah, we all have been waiting for.

Ribadu Is Meeting With Youths-live On Ait/tvc Now / Musiwa Musiwa Musiwa itsekiri are for you life. / 10 Things That Made Shaka Zulu A Military Genius

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49