Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,604 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:02 PM

Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo (10068 Views)

Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by kojeiwa(m): 10:10pm On May 23, 2007
Most Yorubas i meet classify me as Igbo after realizing i am not Yoruba. Its so unfortunate the most Nigerians are not aware of other tribes in Nigeria other than Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa. I know they are the majority, but there are several other popular tribes as well, like the Edos, Calabars, Ijaws, Tivs Warris-Urhobos and many more. If you figure i am not Yoruba, ask me what tribe i am, rather than assuming i am Igbo.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by omogenaija(f): 10:14pm On May 23, 2007
i know lots of ppl that do that , i use to do it myself but as i got older i realised it was wrong and makes me look silly to just assume , so now i ask ppl their tribe once i find out that they r nigerian
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by pearl2(m): 12:24am On May 24, 2007
Ignorance, my broda. Shameful ignorance!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 12:31am On May 24, 2007
I didn't know this.
chei.
people need to mingle more

I remember someone calling me jamaican because I am black.
I wonder why
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by omogenaija(f): 2:34am On May 24, 2007
babyosisi:

I didn't know this.
chei.
people need to mingle more

I remember someone calling me jamaican because I am black.
I wonder why

thats happen to me as well embarassed
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Iman3(m): 2:36am On May 24, 2007
omogenaija:

thats happen to me as well  embarassed

You seem to suggest that the very idea of you being seen as a Jamaican is embarrasing
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by omogenaija(f): 2:38am On May 24, 2007
its not embrassing i love Jamicans
i just dont like being called wat i'm not

i hope ur not offended smiley kiss
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Iman3(m): 2:41am On May 24, 2007
omogenaija:

its not embrassing i love Jamicans
i just don't like being called what i'm not

i hope your not offended smiley kiss

You have political talent cheesy I'm Nigerian myself grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by omogenaija(f): 2:42am On May 24, 2007
I-man:

You have political talent cheesy I'm Nigerian myself grin

political talent ? thanks cheesy how ?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 3:42am On May 24, 2007
people from PH and Delta state are what?

I call people Ibo,Yoruba Hausa and Benin, the rest are counterfeit!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by omogenaija(f): 3:45am On May 24, 2007
Dis Guy:

shocked

i cant believe u said that angry angry
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 3:50am On May 24, 2007
well you just made a classification yourself. you haven't met every yoruba person in the world have you? so how do you know that all ~30 million of them will classify you as igbo?

i think everyone make classification to make life easier. it's annoying i know but it's easier. most (actually, ALL) nigerians i have met here are either yoruba or igbo. so i get conditioned to assuming they are either one or the other.

i guess i'll stop that habit now (i'll be pretty offended if i was in your shoes) . thanks for posting this cheesy
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ghettochyk(f): 4:00am On May 24, 2007
Dis Guy:

counterfeit what? counterfeit nigerians? u aint making sense boo. and i've never heard of a tribe called "ibo". are they also in Nigeria? enlighten me smiley
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 4:11am On May 24, 2007
there should be a smiley after the word counterfeit!  cheesy

oh well!

someone told me 'igbo' is offensive so i use ibo, as long as the message gets across!
why is someone disturbing me?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by omogenaija(f): 4:13am On May 24, 2007
who's distubring u
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 4:23am On May 24, 2007
Dis Guy:

someone told me 'igbo' is offensive so i use ibo,

i thought it was the other way around?

it's igbo not ibo i think.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by omogenaija(f): 4:27am On May 24, 2007
i heard ibo is the language and igbo are the ppl maybe its the other way around

igbo or ibos where r ya'll ?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 4:31am On May 24, 2007
they are planning a meeting and will come out all guns blazing soon cheesy
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 4:42am On May 24, 2007
you're hilarious cheesy

i guess we just have to wait till the secret meeting's over.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by honeric01(m): 8:11am On May 24, 2007
Na Una know, the set of Yoruba people that do call other tribes Ibo when they realized they can speak Yoruba are the old Yoruba men and women, i was once called an Ibo guy, felt angry and wanted to lash on that woman, lol because she was so bad annoying when she even pronounced the so call Ibo, too bad it sucks, and for some people's information, it is Ibo not Igbo ok?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by honeric01(m): 8:23am On May 24, 2007
Na Una know, the set of Yoruba people that do call other tribes Ibo when they realized they can speak Yoruba are the old Yoruba men and women, i was once called an Ibo guy, felt angry and wanted to lash on that woman, lol because she was so bad annoying when she even pronounced the so call Ibo, too bad it sucks, and for some people's information, it is Ibo not Igbo ok?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by laudate: 12:14pm On May 24, 2007
honeric01:

and for some people's information, it is Ibo not Igbo ok?

Are you sure it isn't the other way round? undecided
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by naijadiva2(f): 2:23pm On May 24, 2007
someone told me 'igbo' is offensive so i use ibo, as long as the message gets across!

no, igbo is correct. ibo is incorrect. according to my daddy (dont know how true it is though) he said that there is only one state in igboland that can really pronounce the gb sound in igbo and that is the people from abia state i think. but because not everyone can pronounce it, they say ibo, but really the word is igbo.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 9:44pm On May 24, 2007
maybe there are Ibo people and Igbo people

Are the Ibibios Igbos?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by kojeiwa(m): 10:06pm On May 24, 2007
The funniest thing is that , I am an Edo boy and history says that the Edos were once part of the Yorubas. Oranmiyan the last son of Oduduwa was sent to an exile and he went to settle in benin and ruled the bini kingdom until his death, for that reason our culture is kind of closely related to that of the yorubas, so why then would the yorubas classify us as Igbo. Which means some of them are not well enlightened. I know the language is different, but we use some of the words they use though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by naijaway(m): 11:38pm On May 24, 2007
ibos or igbos have migrated everywhere and even beyond our borders and the same goes for yorubas; because these two tribes explore a lot than the other tribes with ibos being more adventurous and explorers the yorubas sometimes seem to take most people as ibos especially if u'r hustling or living good but can sometimes differentiate btw ibos and hausas. The truth is dat 99.9% of ibos can never be muslims.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 12:04am On May 25, 2007
kojeiwa:

The funniest thing is that , I am an Edo boy and history says that the Edos were once part of the Yorubas. Oranmiyan the last son of Oduduwa was sent to an exile and he went to settle in benin and ruled the bini kingdom until his death, for that reason our culture is kind of closely related to that of the yorubas, so why then would the yorubas classify us as Igbo. Which means some of them are not well enlightened. I know the language is different, but we use some of the words they use though.

where do you live? you probably live in an area where there are mostly just yorubas and igbos.

yorubas don't classify edo people as igbos (ibos?). It's just they used to seeing just igbos and yorubas in the US.

trust me, even if i saw an hausa person anywhere in the US, i would probably first assume he was yoruba or igbo. i hardly see hausa or edo people in the US. you guys are more likely to live in Italy or some european country i think. and hausas are more likely to be in the middle east.

yeah edo culture is related to the yoruba. that's cool.

So, it depends on where you live.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by kojeiwa(m): 12:37am On May 25, 2007
I live in Chicago, IL and I have noticed there are predominately more yorubas than every other tribes in Chicago. I have a lot of Yoruba friends. Everytime I have to argue with them that i am not Igbo. I don't have anything against Igbo people whatsoever, I  have them as friends too, but I am not going to accept that I am Igbo, cause i am not, though we are all Nigerians. On the other hand, when i tell my Igbo friends that I am from Edo state, they know right away.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:43am On May 25, 2007
Dude not only Yorubas are guilty of this. If anything you're being even more offensive by referring to your friends as being Ibo when it's really IGBO

osisi, LOL, I'd be VERY annoyed if someone called me a Jamo. yuck. angry
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by honeric01(m): 8:12am On May 25, 2007
It's Ibo not Igbo, let everyone go and make research, stop following the crowd ok? well the Edo's are not from the descendant of Oduduwa, the Edo descendant is actually the first child of Oduduwa not the last child so go and study very well and then come and prove me wrong
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ne4real(f): 8:55am On May 25, 2007
they r just ignorant
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by laudate: 1:51pm On May 25, 2007
honeric01:

It's Ibo not Igbo, let everyone go and make research, stop following the crowd ok?

Honeric01, Vbèè óye hé?

An Ov'biedo like you is calling Igbo people, Ibo. Are you trying to start World War III on this thread? Na wetin? Take time o!

Anyway, it is mostly elderly Yoruba folks from certain rural areas that refer erroneously to Edo people as Igbo. The younger ones know the difference. Most people from Ondo & Ekiti states also know the difference.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Are The Tribes Yoruba Defeated At War In History? / LASG Announces Saturday, May 2nd 2015 As New Date For Lagos Carnival / Learn French Live On Nairaland!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.