Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? (2245 Views)

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? / Replacing A 4cylinder With A 6cylinder Of Camry 2001 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? by jbloggs(m): 5:02pm On Nov 19, 2010
Hello People,
Please, i will like to know your sincere opinion on a 4 cylinder(plugs) engine and 6 cylinder(Plugs) engine.
Can we know why you use any of them?
Re: 4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? by obi58: 6:33pm On Nov 19, 2010
4 cylinder = fuel economy = preferrable
Re: 4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? by jbloggs(m): 8:00pm On Nov 19, 2010
obi58:

4 cylinder = fuel economy = preferrable

Is dat all?
Any other reason?
Re: 4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? by Ikenna351(m): 10:50pm On Nov 19, 2010
If you want a long lasting/durable high performance long distance auto, with reasonable good fuel economy, go for V6 engine powered auto.

Ikenna.
Re: 4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? by jbloggs(m): 10:30am On Nov 22, 2010
Ikenna351:

If you want a long lasting/durable high performance long distance auto, with reasonable good fuel economy, go for V6 engine powered auto.

Ikenna.

@Ikenna,do you drive a V6 powered auto?
So why are some people so confused about the V6 thing?
I need an auto expert on this issue,
this trial by error mechanics may not really understand the techniques of a good car.
I need a candid opinion.
Any one in the house to help?
Re: 4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? by Ikenna351(m): 11:11am On Nov 22, 2010
@jbloggs

Not only that I have driven one before, I just reccently bought one, Peugeot 505 2.8 V6 5 speed manual transmission.

There a lot of things you must consider if are looking for a long distance Vehicle. V6 unit is one of them. V6 engine has more displacement/cubic capacity that allows the engine to breath well while on high speed, on long distance journey, with reasonable fuel economy.

If you want your car to have AC and you intend to use it frequently, the best car for that purpose is a car powered by V6 motor. V6 unit has higher Horse power, enough to carry the load of the AC compressor without it hampering the fuel economy, especially while on speed on highway, unlike the I4 cylinder engine that has to labour more, at the expense of good fuel economy in other to maintain the speed. Remember, car A/C takes more than 11 horsepower to function.

In fact, if you really have idea how engine works, especially what takes place in engine combustion chamber, you wont need anyone to explain to you that the bigger the CC/displacement, the higher the performance, good breathing and durability of the engine.

But if you looking for a city car, you dont intend to use the car for frequent travelling purpose, Inline 4 cylinder engine would be ok for you in terms of good fuel economy.

V6 engine could be more durable than I4, if properly cared for. V6 units are designed to go beyond 300,000 miles without rebiuld and still pull fine. PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE is the watch word, if you dont want to visit mechanic often.

Ikenna.
Re: 4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? by jbloggs(m): 11:21am On Nov 22, 2010
Thanks Ikenna.
Re: 4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? by elvis1976: 11:44am On Nov 22, 2010
why is it that V6 cars are cheaper than 4 cylinder cars?
Re: 4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? by Ikenna351(m): 12:04pm On Nov 22, 2010
@elvis

V6 autos are cheaper in Nigeria only because most of our auto mechanics are clowns. Instead of updating themselves with the modern diagnosis of auto mechanical know-how, they had no option than to discourage people for buying such autos so as not to expose their incompetency to the populace. They have succeeded in confusing a lot of people, stoping them from buying V6 autos, thereby decreasing the demand for them. I believe you know the Law of demand & supply.
Re: 4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? by zylla(m): 1:51pm On Nov 22, 2010
if you compare an I4 to a V6, u'll find out that the V6 is more luxurious than an I4, it has more features and power and its even more heavier than an I4.
But the mechanics around dont understand the dynamics of a V6 that is why they discourage u buying it.
Re: 4cylinder Or 6cylinder, What Is Your Choice For A Car And Why? by diehard1: 4:43pm On Nov 22, 2010
V6 all the way! Power,silent engine, long lasting but you have to do your routine maintenance regularly. They will serve you up to over 200,000miles. The difference in consumption of fuel is not too much. A lot of factors affect fuel consumption like driving style.

(1) (Reply)

The Cost And Procedure For Getting A Customized Car Plate Number! / These Cars In Nigeria And Prices / Africa's Dream Car Kantanka Chief Executive Kwadwo Safo Jr Create Ghana's First

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.