Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Cats In Nigeiran Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cats In Nigeiran Culture (3625 Views)

Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses / How Culture affects Marriage Among Educated (westernized) Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cats In Nigeiran Culture by Leilah(f): 9:06pm On Nov 19, 2010
My husband was saying cats are considered evil. I have two cats, they dont come near him but when any of his friends come in they shake and say 'get that thing out'. Esp his sister she really freaks out and tells me if I dont get the cat out she will have to leave the house. Cats are lovely pets I think, that how I was raised alongside them. I don't know why Nigerians don't like them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cats In Nigeiran Culture by Leilah(f): 9:08pm On Nov 19, 2010
ONe of them is a long haired silver pedigree persian and the one is jet black longhaired. I put them out the are normally outside looking for prey anyway. But I respect her views but they dont respect mine,
Re: Cats In Nigeiran Culture by james1(m): 10:14am On Nov 20, 2010
@poster.depending on how the person is brought up,but not all nigerians give cats that status.many nigerians own and love pet's.
Marriage should be about mutual respect for one another.
Are you not nigerian?
Re: Cats In Nigeiran Culture by Gamine(f): 9:16pm On Nov 20, 2010
It's not 'Nigerians'
Cats are seen as evil sometimes worldwide too, especially black ones so its not a surprise.
I know too many Nigerians with cats to even accept a dolt of what you say.

Did you ask your husband and co, the origin of their thoughts?
Re: Cats In Nigeiran Culture by omega25red(m): 1:56am On Nov 21, 2010
poster

i remeber growning up and i always heard that black cats are evil even western culture dictates that black cats bring bad luck if the cross in front of you. i cant really tell you where that came from but if those people are talking about leaving due to your harmless pet then show them the door
Re: Cats In Nigeiran Culture by PhysicsQED(m): 2:31am On Nov 21, 2010
Cats are just cats.
Re: Cats In Nigeiran Culture by onyeami(f): 2:10pm On Nov 22, 2010
I also have a cat. Before i was living alone and after one igbo girl came to leave with me. WHen she enter my house the first time she was very surprised! I even can say she was in shock about the cat, If the cat wanted to come closer she was screeming and jumping out grin
But with time she got to know the cat is not an evil something, She even has started to like it some how, she can give him a food or even caress him, grin

(Pls sorry for my mistakes, am not an english-speaking person)

1 Like

Re: Cats In Nigeiran Culture by oludashmi(f): 2:32pm On Nov 22, 2010
onyeami:

(Pls sorry for my mistakes, am not an english-speaking person)

I actually didnt see your english as being poor until you noted it. . .just keep improving yourself and you will do better. Many here and there born and bred in english speaking countries cant speak better, so you may not need to excuse yourself again so that you wont start feeling "english-inferior" smiley
Re: Cats In Nigeiran Culture by onyeami(f): 2:37pm On Nov 22, 2010
oludashmi
oh really? thank you smiley
Re: Cats In Nigeiran Culture by oludashmi(f): 2:38pm On Nov 22, 2010
onyeami:

oludashmi
oh really? thank you smiley

You are welcome, take care. wink
Re: Cats In Nigeiran Culture by mamaken: 3:02pm On Nov 22, 2010
Hi Leilah
I'm also married to a nigerian. My husband is terrified by cats. He doesnt want to see them with hes eyes.
He told me, the reason of this hate for cats is, that where hes from, they use this animal to do evil things.
Sometimes hes so funny grin when he see a cat he shout out: "Chaaaaiiiiii look look look!!!"
Anyway, i'm also not crazy abt cat so it is not a problem. Its just sad, that this hes fear influences also our kids. They now start to run from cat, wich is wrong.
But u r lucky. Ur man accept to live with the cats. My husband would have never spend even one night unde the same roof with the cats.

Cheers
mamaken

(1) (Reply)

The 12 Top Reasons Why Igbos And Yorubas Should Not Marry / Pissing On The Road. / No More War. Oni Of Ife Visit Modakeke Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.