Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,880 members, 7,802,844 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp (7793 Views)

Xbox 1 And Playstation 4 Which Has Better Gaming Experience. / Watch Dogs Has Much Better Graphics, Better Sound / Thq Claims Ps3 Has Potential For Better Graphics Than Xbox 360 : (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 8:08am On Nov 20, 2010
Check out the screenshots from the just released RAGE HD for iPhone 4

Engadget is reporting that this is currently the best graphics on a mobile device. And i agree grin
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 8:17am On Nov 20, 2010
Screens from the upcoming Infinity Blade on iPhone. Looks even better!

Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Dabss(m): 9:47am On Nov 20, 2010
dude dont compare iphone games with psp games pls.
How many psp go games have u seen
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 20, 2010
Yep i agree , i have probably been playing the psp since it launched and have owned the fat, psp slim, psp2000, psp 3000, i dislike the psp go so i didn't get it, and now my buddy owns an iphone and i have been totally blown away by its graphics engine, go I4
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Dabss(m): 5:14pm On Nov 20, 2010
guy just dont compare
u are in love with iphone4
but dont just compare
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 7:57pm On Nov 20, 2010
Da_b¤§§.:

guy just dont compare
u are in love with iphone4
but dont just compare

I've shown some screenshots to back up my claims. I suggest you do the same or keep quiet.

And FYI, i've gone through 4 PSPs from December 2005 to my current PSPGo.
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Mobinga: 8:27pm On Nov 20, 2010
shocked So the iPhone is that useful? Impressive shocked shocked
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Dabss(m): 10:40pm On Nov 20, 2010
god of war about 2-3 yrs old can even beat dat not to talk of 2010 games

Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by ElRazur: 11:07pm On Nov 20, 2010
Op, you need to make a fair comparison.

Iphone4 is newer and will probably have better specs

PSP on the other hand is a bit dated now. Also like already mentioned some game out there will trounce that of the Iphone4.

It may be worth adding that screen shot is never a good comparison, it may have been enhanced or post processed. Just my two cent.

PS
Heard about the upcoming PSP2? All those who have a dev-kit of it have been raving about how powerful it is etc.

PPS
I saw the game on Engadget this morning and I think it is really cool.
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 8:29am On Nov 21, 2010
Da_b¤§§.:

god of war about 2-3 yrs old can even beat dat not to talk of 2010 games

Nada. Infinity Blade is running on Unreal Engine 3 on the iPhone 4. The PSP can't handle that. The level of detail in that Infinity Blade screenshot is way higher than that in that God of War screenshot. You no dey see texture quality? Don't forget that Unreal Engine 3 on the iPhone 4/iPad is running at a far higher resolution that the PSP is capable of.

We're talking of graphics capabilities also, not just actual games.

You know who John Carmack is? He's come out to say that the iPhone 4 is theoretically capable of dishing out visuals better than what you see on the Wii. The PSP is still inferior to the PS2.
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 8:34am On Nov 21, 2010
ElRazur:

Op, you need to make a fair comparison.

Iphone4 is newer and will probably have better specs

PSP on the other hand is a bit dated now. Also like already mentioned some game out there will trounce that of the Iphone4.

It may be worth adding that screen shot is never a good comparison, it may have been enhanced or post processed. Just my two cent.

Yep, it's an unfair comparison because the iPhone 4 is newer.
I never said the iPhone is a better gaming device than the PSP. All i talked about was the graphics capabilities.
Most PSP games look far better than most iPhone games because of the game budget, development time etc. But as more and more studios are putting the effort into mobile game development, we're seeing the superior GPU and CPU start to make the difference.

I have the RAGE game, and i can assure you that there is no image manipulation. But don't take my word for it. Get a friend with an iPhone 4 to download Epic Citadel from the App Store. it's free and it's made with Unreal Engine 3. Prepare to be blown away grin

I know the PSP2 will be awesome. I have my sights set on getting a Nintendo 3DS. That's gonna be one awesome machine too grin
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 1:40pm On Nov 21, 2010
Here's a more direct comparison.
We'll compare FIFA 2011 on the iPhone and PSP.

FIFA 11 PSP Screens

FIFA 11 iPhone 4 Screens

Now honestly, which one looks better?
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Dabss(m): 7:26pm On Nov 21, 2010
okay i surrender
after my bad exprience with my ipod touch i just hate anything apple 4 now
i rather wait for psp2 @ least i trust sony
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by ElRazur: 12:51pm On Nov 26, 2010
texazzpete

Again, it is not a thorough or fair way to make comparison. Images are not necessarily the best comparison point due to may reasons - Camera angle, the type of camera used in taking said images, compression, image quality, differences in rendering such photos on different platform (mobile, pc etc).

Different platforms have different engines running in them, heck the same games may be powered by different engines in itself etc.

While I am not saying it cannot be done, I am instead saying relying on images used on another site when we barely know how it was taken may not be a fair way.

My two cents.

Remember how the Ps3 version of Black Ops looks rubbish or less polished when compared to that of the Xbox, even though technically speaking, the Ps3 should come out on top in such area, but I guess so many variations as to why this isn't so is probably at play here.
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Mobinga: 3:11pm On Nov 26, 2010
I say, the Iphone 4 isn't looking bad. But. . . .
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 6:15pm On Nov 26, 2010
I remember back in the PS2 era, i'd look at the screenshots of GTA3 on the box cover of the game, and wonder why the screenshots looked much better than what i saw on my TV.
It turned out that those pics were probably taken with the game running on a top end progressive scan TV, far better than my 1998 era Samsung TV.

But this isn't a TV. it's a phone. And every single iPhone 4 has the same 960 * 640 resolution screen made in the same factory. In short, what you're seeing is what you're gonna get.
There are no angles to the photo being taken. You can take your own uncompressed iphone screenshots by pressing the Power and Home button at the same time. the result is exactly what you see on the screen.

What makes your point even more moot is that in 99% of the time, things looks better in motion than in a plain screenshot. So the iPhone games i highlighted above look even more stunning in motion.
The PSP games are running at a much lower resolution, with comparatively dated hardware. they'd look better in motion too than what is pasted above, but the texture detail still cannot compete.

ElRazur:

Remember how the Ps3 version of Black Ops looks rubbish or less polished when compared to that of the Xbox, even though technically speaking, the Ps3 should come out on top in such area, but I guess so many variations as to why this isn't so is probably at play here.

The Xbox 360 creams the PS3 most times when it comes to multiplatform games. Forget all the hype the PS3 fanboys want you to believe; all the fantastic looking PS3 games have had very long development cycles in which splendid graphics was made a priority by Sony. Killzone 2, God of War 3, you name it.
Forza 3 was in development for little over a year. it looks nearly as good (better in some places actually) as GT5 that was in the oven for 5 years. Go figure.

I remember when they said the Xbox 360 couldn't handle MGS4. Now MGS: Rising is in development for the Xbox 360, and is confirmed to have better visuals than MGS 4. Hype sucks grin
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 27, 2010
Oh My God Please let me just say one thing the Games that have Emerged on Iphone have Better Graphics than PSP Games that have been released yes no doubt just to claim that Iphone has Better Graphics than the PSP is mere strange,obviously it's up to the Developers to control quality of a game but when it comes to Hardware the Graphical aspect of a PSP renders and pushes more Polygons than an Iphone, the Iphone only has a Stronger Processor than the PSP,

http://www.hardcoreware.net/graphics-specs-compare-iphone-3gs-to-psp-to-ds/

I would have supported if the thread was Iphone 4 has Better Quality Games than PSP, but to even attempt to think iphone 4 apporaches the PSP GPU  is strange.compare some Ps2 Games to Ps2 Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater,Same Console but the later has Superior graphics its all up to the Devs at the end of the day, Deep down am expecting Steve Jobs to compare Ipad Games to Ps3,afterall thats the Steve Job way
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 27, 2010
don't know about that but my Final Fantasy 13 on my Ps3 look F__king Great but after seeing the same on X360, it was just not it,
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by ElRazur: 9:43am On Nov 27, 2010
Tex,

Not sure you understand my point.

The screen shots you posted are of the psp and the Ip4 right? I am saying, there may be differences in the manner in which they were taken etc. A camera was involved at some point etc. So there may be variations and as such, screen shots are probably not the best tool to compare.

As per Ps3 and Xbox, I won't go into that, but just say one thing. The Ps3 is technically superior (even if it is by little amount) than the 360.  Let's not forget that the 360 is nothing but a PC in a games box, and as such pretty much easy to code for. On the other hand, the ps3 is also a pc, but using a type of set up that programmers and coders all say it can be a pain to code/develop for. God of War and other in-house games have shown what can be done with the ps3.

Forza and GT5 are different type of games and The strength of the GT5 lies in its realism and accuracy of details.  Anyway, enough digression.
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Dabss(m): 12:40pm On Nov 27, 2010
interesting
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 5:28pm On Nov 27, 2010
pc guru:

Oh My God Please let me just say one thing the Games that have Emerged on Iphone have Better Graphics than PSP Games that have been released yes no doubt just to claim that Iphone has Better Graphics than the PSP is mere strange,obviously it's up to the Developers to control quality of a game but when it comes to Hardware the Graphical aspect of a PSP renders and pushes more Polygons than an Iphone, the Iphone only has a Stronger Processor than the PSP,

http://www.hardcoreware.net/graphics-specs-compare-iphone-3gs-to-psp-to-ds/

I would have supported if the thread was Iphone 4 has Better Quality Games than PSP, but to even attempt to think iphone 4 apporaches the PSP GPU  is strange.compare some Ps2 Games to Ps2 Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater,Same Console but the later has Superior graphics its all up to the Devs at the end of the day, Deep down am expecting Steve Jobs to compare Ipad Games to Ps3,afterall thats the Steve Job way

You post is so full of misinformation.
First off, that link you posted contains serious factual errors. The PowerVR chip in the 3GS and iPhone 4 is the SGX 535, which is more powerful than the SGX 520 the article referenced. Secondly, the polygon count Sony published for the PSP GPU refers to flat polygons with minimal effects applied. The actual real world polygon pushing power of the PSP GPU is much less than the 33 million quoted, and definitely inferior to the 28 million fully rendered polygons of the SGX 535.

Do you know who John Carmack is? He's the id software wizard who's legendary for inventing the FPS genre and his ork in making gaming engines. In his own words, the iPhone 4 and the PSP aren't in the same league at all.

The PSP has been out for 5 years already. None of the games on the PSP (even MGS: Peace Walker) can compare visually to those Infinity Blade screenshots i posted above.
The only reason most PSP games look better than those on the iPhone is the game budget and developer commitment. An average PSP game will take millions of dollars to make and sell for $40. The average iOS game will cost tens of thousands of dollars to make and sell for $1.99. That's why Namco would rather spend time and effort making a Tekken game for PSP than a Tekken game for iPhone.
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 6:18pm On Nov 27, 2010
ElRazur:

Tex,

Not sure you understand my point.

The screen shots you posted are of the psp and the Ip4 right? I am saying, there may be differences in the manner in which they were taken etc. A camera was involved at some point etc. So there may be variations and as such, screen shots are probably not the best tool to compare.

As per Ps3 and Xbox, I won't go into that, but just say one thing. The Ps3 is technically superior (even if it is my little amount) than the 360.  Let's not forget that the 360 is nothing but a PC in a games box, and as such pretty much easy to code for. On the other hand, the ps3 is also a pc, but using a type of set up that programmers and coders all say it can be a pain to code/develop for. God of War and other in-house games have shown what can be done with the ps3.

Forza and GT5 are different type of games and The strength of the GT5 lies in its realism and accuracy of details.  Anyway, enough digression.

AGAIN you misunderstand!
If i asked you to give me a screenshot of your laptop, would you use a camera? No.
If i asked you to give me a screengrab of your phone's home screen, would you use a camera?

Take a look at the FIFA PSP screens i posted. They are at 480 * 272 resolution. You know what else is 480 * 272? The PSP's native resolution. This obviously shows that those images are from direct capture from the PSP, not some camera pic. It's unheard of for someone to use a camera to capture a screenshot from a game for press purposes. Unless it's taken from a live event. Not from released code.
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by ElRazur: 8:02pm On Nov 27, 2010
Please explain to me as to how a screen grab was done on a psp and ip4. So a screen grab of a psp was done on a pc. Is that what you are saying? Also resolutions can be customized if needed.
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Nobody: 6:47am On Nov 28, 2010
Yeah i did check and you right the article was comparing the Iphone 3gs, my bad i was looking at iphone 4 assuming that they all had the same GPU till i researched it and as much i might not like to admit i will have to agree cuz after reading the Specs it felt like i was looking at a desktop spec, with the Kinda spec i saw,
This Gpu run:

DirectX10.1 API support

Enhanced support for DirectX10 Geometry Shaders

DirectX10 Data assembler support (Vertex, primitive and instance ID generation)

Render target resource array support

Full arbitrary non power of two texture support

Full filtering support for F16 texture types

Support for all DirectX10 mandated texture formats

Sampling from unresolved MSAA surfaces

Support for Gamma on output pixels

Order dependent coverage based AA (anti-aliased lines)

Enhanced line rasterisation

SGX545 was also designed to deliver full profile OpenCL 1.0 capabilities, with advanced features including:

Support of round-to-nearest for floating-point math

Full 32-bit integer support (includes add, multiply and divide)

64-bit integer emulation

3D texture support

Support for the maximum 2D and 3D image sizes specified in the full profile.

Inside POWERVR SGX545

USSE (Universal Scalable Shader Engine), the main programmable processing unit within each POWERVR SGX545 pipeline, is a scalable multi-threaded GPU shader processing engine that efficiently processes graphics as well as many other mathematically-intensive tasks. USSE can be programmed using the GLSL language that forms part of the OpenGL ES 2.0 specification, or in the C-based parallel processing language used in the OpenCL specification – both APIs from the Khronos Group.

POWERVR SGX545 delivers the broadest range of graphics API feature sets in the industry, while also enabling developers to gain greater access to the full capabilities of the USSE-powered GP-GPU in a broad range of applications including digital imaging, video processing, game physics, cryptography, and other general computing tasks that can benefit from parallel processing.

i guess the PSP is really Outdated compared to *Iphone4*
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 28, 2010
i take offence how can u ask me who John Carmack is, he made sure i had a good childhood by supplying kickarse FPS, and ideally he tries porting FPS to various Devices to test their Capacity, He ported Quake to n95,Rage not sure of the name to Ipad,
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 7:28pm On Nov 28, 2010
pc guru:

i take offence how can u ask me who John Carmack is, he made sure i had a good childhood by supplying kickarse FPS, and ideally he tries porting FPS to various Devices to test their Capacity, He ported Quake to n95,Rage not sure of the name to Ipad,

Dont be offended grin
The name of the Rage themed game ported to the iPhone/iPad is 'RAGE HD'.
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 7:34pm On Nov 28, 2010
ElRazur:

Please explain to me as to how a screen grab was done on a psp and ip4. So a screen grab of a psp was done on a pc. Is that what you are saying? Also resolutions can be customized if needed.

You can take a screenshot on all iOS devices (iPhone, ipod touch, iPad) by pressing the Home and Power buttons simultaneously.

For the PSP (and pretty much every other Game console), most press photos are released to the media by the developers themselves. And the devs can easily export a screenshot from the game running on dev hardware (or do screengrabs by software).

No one will use a camera to take a photo of a TV grin
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by ElRazur: 7:39pm On Nov 28, 2010
I hear you.

You do realise Sony famously released doctored or rendered images/video of Killzone before it was released.

My point is that these photos are not reliable like you are saying. Resolution can be adjusted etc. While official screen shot should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by texazzpete(m): 9:20am On Nov 29, 2010
ElRazur:

I hear you.

You do realise Sony famously released doctored or rendered images/video of Killzone before it was released.

My point is that these photos are not reliable like you are saying. Resolution can be adjusted etc. While official screen shot should be taken with a pinch of salt.

These photos are from already released games. If i take a screenshot of RAGE HD on my iPhone 4, it looks exactly like the images i posted up earlier.

Search youtube for 'Infinity Blade' and 'Epic Citadel' to see a video of the unreal Engine 3 games running on the iPhone 4.
Re: Iphone 4 Has Better Graphics Than The Psp by ElRazur: 5:10pm On Nov 30, 2010
Okay o.

I guess each one to their own.

I will take image and screen shot with a pinch of salt. I have stated reasons as to why.

Having said that, the Ip4 packs a powerful spec. By today's standard, most phone are now reaching the levels PC were in the early 90s - Running 1ghz of processor etc.

(1) (Reply)

Graphic Settings To Get 60+ FPS With AMD 290/290X / Snap And Upload The Game You Re Currently Playing / Scream Go Hero-a Game Which You Have To Scream Or Yell To Play

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.