Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,212 members, 7,807,726 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability (13762 Views)

Electrician Fell Off Ladder In Popular Abia Hotel, Dies (Graphic Pictures) / Oghenero Ozobeme: TOTAL Sacked Me While Battling Brain Surgery, Disability / Electrician Electrocuted While Working On A Pole In Port-Harcourt. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by opportunes: 5:48am On Nov 22, 2019
Shehu Ibrahim Musa has been fixing electrical appliances since 1998 after he graduated from secondary school. Though a physically challenged resulting from poliomyelitis, Shehu is undeterred by his physical disability and social challenges. He works from his mud house in Mai Adiko area of Rayfield in Jos south and says fixing appliances is a gift he inherited from his father. “I fix all electronics such as TV, fans, radios and other electric appliances but I don’t fix phones,” he told Benue/Plateau Trust. “After completing my education at Government College Zawan, in Jos South, I didn’t go further. I started to fix appliances because it was something my father did. He did not get any formal training on the skill, he was a taxi driver by profession but had the gift of fixing things,” he further stated.

Like his father, Shehu also has the gift and attracts customers from many parts of the city including Dilimi in Jos North. By watching his father, Shehu said, he started by fixing a small transistor radio. Though it was not something he took seriously at that time, he said the skill has now become his lifeline. However, with the internet serving as the window to the world, Shehu told our correspondent that he was working towards modernising his skill by becoming technologically savvy.

“I do a lot of research online to find ways of fixing modern appliances. That was how I learnt to fix LCD television sets. When I need to buy a particular sparepart, I sometimes go online to find what I’m looking for and read about it while other times I work with other friends in the same line of business to find ways of solving a problem.” The phone Shehu uses, however, is quite old and barely serves his purpose. “Sometimes I have to borrow a phone from someone to browse the internet because mine barely has the capacity for the kind of research I do. It would have been much easier if I had a computer but for now, I rely mostly on borrowed phones.”

So far, none of Shehu’s seven children have shown interest in following in his footstep but he says it doesn’t bother him as they have all been enrolled in school. He has, however, trained about four apprentices who now operate independently and have advanced to fixing electrical problems on heavy duty machines such as caterpillars while another has moved to fixing phones. The father of seven said the business has not been as lucrative as it once was and he fears that they may soon be out of business. “In 1998, when I started, we were few who had the skill but there are now a lot of people who are using advanced technology.

You will also notice that some equipment such as engines now come sealed, so how are you expected to fix it if you are not also technologically advanced.” Like any small scale business owner, Shehu says his challenges are mainly funds and power supply. He expressed disappointment that his likes have not benefitted from government social investment programmes. “I would love to be able to sell some appliances and spareparts instead of just fixing appliances but this has not been possible. Even the assistance other people get from government, I have never benefitted. There was a time they were disbursing N10, 000 but after seeing me, the people said we were not part of it and it baffled me that we are being excluded despite our circumstances.”

Shehu, however, advised against street begging but stressed that government must also play its role by protecting and assisting the challenged and the poor. “I have never been to the street to beg. It weakens one’s resolve and robs you of your dignity. I am not defined by my disability and my advice to any physically challenged person is to learn a skill or trade but begging is definitely not the answer,” he said.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/im-not-defined-by-physical-disability-crippled-electrician.html

7 Likes

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by ursullalinda(f): 6:28am On Nov 22, 2019
Wow......I luv seeing disabled people using their talents to be productive......not those who resign to fate and turn to beggars.....May God bless the work of his hands

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by Deomovies: 6:30am On Nov 22, 2019
God bless your hustle
You ain't part of those hope give up
Deo Movies is an alternative to Netflix streaming and subscription or Disc compiling in your house. Which you can get External hard drive filled with latest and Top Rated movies and Series, likewise movies can be sent to your PCs of you have enough space. Brethren please help my ministry.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by angelEmade: 6:40am On Nov 22, 2019
inspirational....and you will see full bodied men begging on the street. letx face it disability is not an excuse to become a beggar...here is an example of 'if life gives you lemons....make lemonades!'
guys...there is a package for u in my signature

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by danwise5: 6:47am On Nov 22, 2019
Impotency is a thing of the mind not of the hands or legs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by Roadtoyesterday: 6:47am On Nov 22, 2019
Am moved
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by AsomArchitectNG(m): 6:47am On Nov 22, 2019
I like people who don't use their physical condition to make excuses. There's nothing actually impossible for a willing mind. Put urself together, make out plan to strive remember this is NIGERIA and everyone is on his own. God bless you

BTW

4 Likes

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by englishmart(m): 6:47am On Nov 22, 2019
In Saner regions, family members will do everything possible to keep their wards off the streets begging. But I the north, begging is an empowerment program where beggars have unions
Kudos, Musa, you are reasonable

7 Likes

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by DrNueLpureHoney: 6:48am On Nov 22, 2019
Nice piece.....God bless your hustle bro

1 Like

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by barule: 6:48am On Nov 22, 2019
Nix one
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by chinavs9ja(m): 6:49am On Nov 22, 2019
wink
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by GeoAfrikana(m): 6:49am On Nov 22, 2019
englishmart:
In Saner regions, family members will do everything possible to keep their wards off the streets begging. But I the north, begging is an empowerment program where beggars have unions

And you just had to bring your ethno-religious bitterness to this thread, too.

I travelled to the east, it was far from what folks type here.
Instead of almajiri, their young men were daylight thieves and scammers. Even the ones who did business were would still sell fake. So they were technically scammers too.
Their young girls were prostitutes. They've bleached the hell out of their lives.

In the south west here, our young men are Yahoo boys instead and girls are runs girls.

So tell me, between almajiri, Yahoo and daylight robbery which is bad, worse and worst?

That said, I met very good people in the east and very good people in the north and very good people in the south west.
You're the definition of negativity and hate.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by Teena101: 6:50am On Nov 22, 2019
There is an ability in disability...

Never give up

1 Like

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 22, 2019
grin angry angry

I'm absolutely fine with his courage and philosophy.
Government should put this category of people into serious consideration.

grin
He is actually contributing to his own problems the
reason I presume, he has not been able to move from his position.

Why 7 seven children?? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by Criticaltemp: 6:55am On Nov 22, 2019
Kuddos to u man.. The lord js ur strength
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by partnerbizn5(m): 6:57am On Nov 22, 2019
God bless you.
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by ekestic1976(f): 6:58am On Nov 22, 2019
englishmart:
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by TheSourcerer: 7:02am On Nov 22, 2019
ursullalinda:
Wow......I luv seeing disabled people using their talents to be productive......not those who resign to fate and turn to beggars.....May God bless the work of his hands
fetish much
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by mamajj17(f): 7:09am On Nov 22, 2019
Powerful Speech, Stay Focused Sir, the good Lord has your Back kiss
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by adesegun121(m): 7:32am On Nov 22, 2019
Ok
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by gbagyiza: 7:50am On Nov 22, 2019
An electronic giant company should make this person an ambassador to their brand, n use him around d country to motivate people on been yourselves in life.
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by mechanics(m): 8:18am On Nov 22, 2019
God will see him through.
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by adewumiopeyemi(m): 8:23am On Nov 22, 2019
And some people get hand and leg they go still Dey beg for money on social media
May God punish u na
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by Goodquestion(m): 8:35am On Nov 22, 2019
Keep on doing your thing, it will pay one day, imagine, the people disbursing the N10,000 empowerment fund telling him it's not for people like them.
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by 2018PROFSUNDAY: 9:46am On Nov 22, 2019
Imagine that kudos to you GUY keep it up God bless you real good and you will see some able men and women begging all around for money ejowo e fun mi lowo you'll see them saying Sara n tori olorun when they've eyes, legs, hands, all parts of their bodies work perfectly but still begging all around that's why our MUMU President said Nigerians are lazy.
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by jabolo(m): 11:33am On Nov 22, 2019
opportunes:

So far, none of Shehu’s seven children have shown interest in following in his footstep but he says it doesn’t bother him as they have all been enrolled in school. He has, however, trained about four apprentices who now operate independently and have advanced to fixing electrical problems on heavy duty machines such as caterpillars while another has moved to fixing phones. The father of seven said the business has not been as lucrative as it once was and he fears that they may soon be out of business. “In 1998, when I started, we were few who had the skill but there are now a lot of people who are using advanced technology.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/im-not-defined-by-physical-disability-crippled-electrician.html

Kudos to the guy but why seven children?
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by LZAA: 12:46pm On Nov 22, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

And you just had to bring your ethno-religious bitterness to this thread, too.

I travelled to the east, it was far from what folks type here.
Instead of almajiri, their young men were daylight thieves and scammers. Even the ones who did business were would still sell fake. So they were technically scammers too.
Their young girls were prostitutes. They've bleached the hell out of their lives.

In the south west here, our young men are Yahoo boys instead and girls are runs girls.

So tell me, between almajiri, Yahoo and daylight robbery which is bad, worse and worst?

That said, I met very good people in the east and very good people in the north and very good people in the south west.
You're the definition of negativity and hate.

Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by Amuluonyenaego: 6:44pm On Nov 22, 2019
OrestesDante:
grin angry angry

I'm absolutely fine with his courage and philosophy. Government should put this category of people into serious consideration.
grin He is actually contributing to his own problems the reason I presume, he has not been able to move from his position.
Why 7 seven children?? cheesy

you must have been a gossiper.
Re: Shehu Ibrahim-Musa: I Am An Electrician Not Defined By Physical Disability by Olaolex: 11:41am On Nov 23, 2019
God bless your hustle abundantly

(1) (Reply)

In Need Of My Employer's Help That, If Done, Will See Me Leave His Job / La Casera Reinstates 700 Sacked Workers / I Returned Excess Payment At Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.