Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,465 members, 7,781,347 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:54 PM

Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars (32650 Views)

What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience / How To Drive Automatic Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 1:47pm On Dec 13, 2010
wink
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 11:39am On Dec 14, 2010
wink
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by pawa4ul: 5:14pm On Dec 14, 2010
Hello baba4u93, May God bless you. May his make his good countenance to shine on you and grant you favour. You are a proof of a rebranded Nigerian[color=#006600][/color]. I wish you the best of life endeavours and a very merry Xmas and a prosperous new year in advance. Your days will be full of laughter and joy, splashed and decorated with all the good things of life. You shall not struggle to gain results. God shall distinguish you among your pairs.
Where your mates are sitting, you shall stand. When your mates are standing, you shall stand out. When they stand out, you shall be outstanding.
Today is one of my days spent in Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 3:37pm On Dec 15, 2010
thanks very much pawa4ul i really appreciate and may ALMIGHTY ALLAH be with u sir, thanks u are awesome
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 12:02pm On Dec 16, 2010
wink
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by switosman(m): 1:49pm On Dec 16, 2010
Baba4u93, howfar

just have a question.

What will be the effect of odometer roll back on a car?

from the vin check, its a good car but had its odometer rolled from 99,000 miles to 55,000.
currently this car is in nigeria from canada and odometer is reading 93,000.

this means, if it was not rolled back it should have been 137,000. from every other indication the car looks good.
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by adanny01(m): 10:26pm On Dec 16, 2010
I have a simple question. Whats the effect of removing a cars thermostat?
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 8:29pm On Dec 17, 2010
hi changing or alteration of mileage to some extent has little or no effect on cars but just an indicator to tell u how far d car has travel and its a kind of plot by car dealers to reduce it for d car 2 av an appreciable value when putting it up for sale.
taking away car thermostat is of 2 dimensionnal damage, 1 if it where to b cars dat is factory a/c u will continiously have ur check engine lite on because d fan will b direct wc shuld not b so, 2 A thermostat is a device for regulating the temperature of a system so that the system's temperature is maintained near a desired setpoint temperature. The thermostat does this by switching heating or cooling devices on or off, or regulating the flow of a heat transfer fluid as needed, to maintain the correct temperature.

A thermostat may be a control unit for a heating or cooling system or a component part of a heater or air conditioner. Thermostats can be constructed in many ways and may use a variety of sensors to measure the temperature. The output of the sensor then controls the heating or cooling apparatus.
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by adanny01(m): 10:47pm On Dec 17, 2010
2 A thermostat is a device for regulating the temperature of a system so that the system's temperature is maintained near a desired setpoint temperature. The thermostat does this by switching heating or cooling devices on or off, or regulating the flow of a heat transfer fluid as needed, to maintain the correct temperature.

It seems in general it is advisable to have the thermostat remove and having the engine check light on than to have an over heating cooling system. The i dea for removal seems correct since the temperature the thermostat is set to maintain is not for Nigeria. I believe it is design for colder regions. My friends cooling fan (Golf 4) works for just about 30 secs to 1 min and stops for about 4 mins not matter how external temperature is. I also noticed that the few secs the cooling fan is blowing the engine will sound normal.
Last question, how does the thermostat affect the normal functioning of the a/c? In my car, the a/c still works perfectly without the thermostat, except that the fan works constantly but never over heat or reach an uncomfortable temp.
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by eros(m): 12:23pm On Dec 18, 2010
@ Baba4u93

I ran a diagnostic on my 2001 Acura TL and got the following codes:

P1361 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor A (Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor) Intermitten interruption or Top.

P1366 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor B (Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor) Intermitten interruption or Top.

Please what does this mean and what should i do?

Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by Ikedonn(m): 12:47pm On Dec 19, 2010
Good post. cheesy
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by arsenal4va(m): 1:46pm On Dec 19, 2010
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by eros(m): 2:31pm On Dec 19, 2010
arsenal4va:

@ eros

change the TDC sensor , it shud do the trick for u

good luck

Okay thanks. I guess the TDC sensor is just one right? If not, please let me know and do you have an idea of how much it will cost? Also do you know of any experienced mechanic who can help me fix it? I suppose i will be able to get the TDC sensor at Ladipo? Thanks for your time.
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 9:02am On Dec 29, 2010
compliments of d season
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 3:20pm On Dec 29, 2010
;d
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 4:35pm On Jan 03, 2011
happy new year nairalanders,
the month of january is a very long and income spending month for average nigerian, from children school fees, house rent, office renovation and car maintenance and like d old adage on cars are; cheaper to maintain than repairs, what am saying in essence is the fact that you can save your pocket from unneccessary repair on your cars by fixing the basic maintenance , SERVICE. When i say service its not about just chainging the oil and filter, i mean ur transmission oil, brake pad, brake oil, regrease all the wheel bearing and shaft rubber, change your timing belt and check ur allignment and wheel balance, as well as diagnose it with a comprehensive scanner and not the hand held which has limitation
LALA u are back on the road and guarantied for 6 month before any miscelleanious fault can spring up apart from the normal regular servicing.
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 8:09am On Jan 04, 2011
hello, its d beginning of a new working day
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by peaceland(m): 9:05am On Jan 04, 2011
Hi,
stumbled across this post and looks like God sent.
I really need your advice on this:
I use Honda Civic 98 automatic. about 4 weeks ago had to take it to the mechanic due to sluggish performance and jerking which was diagnosed to 2 dead spark plugs. i changed same and serviced the engine.
while on Christmas trip, same thing started again and i have to completely throttle down to gain good overtaking speed. on getting home, i did the simple test i was taught, started the engine and start removing/speed the 4 spark plugs one by one, the 2nd to the right was dead; not having any effect on the engine sound.
now my question is this:
1; what can cause this. note that i use top quality NGK spark plug (titanium or platinum - cant remember now)
2: a friend said i should change the engine, another said i should ring the engine; which is likely to be the best thing to do
thank you & have a lovely new year
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by blapo(m): 10:54am On Jan 04, 2011
I have this brother that always shift gear from D to neutral while on top speed all in the name of saving fuel. whats is the effect of this on the car engine and also is he really saving fuel?
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by GeorgeD1(m): 2:35pm On Jan 04, 2011
i don't think he's saving any fuel and besides, continous changing of his gears that way could damage his gearbox!
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by peaceland(m): 5:40pm On Jan 04, 2011
still looking forward to a response to my post above pls
thank u
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 9:37pm On Jan 04, 2011
Hi Peaceland,
Am highly honoured and grateful 4 ur post, there is no my without you sir, 1st of all u took d cart b4 d horse, that is u should have scan the car b4 taking it 4 repair, becos what u are going tru must have started wit ur check engine light on and subsequent degenerate to that level, my suspect might b misfired in the engine which might b d coil, the valve or the cable. Call me on 08023352829 /08032016668 will ask u too take it to where they can do comprehensive scan on the engine with the codes and text that follow and not all dis hand held scanner.
Hi Blapo,
Please tell ur broda that always shift the gear lever on motion from DRIVE 2 NEUTRAL simple because he is trying 2 save fuel, he is just 1 step closer to damage his gear, BY mistake if d gear shift 2 reverse u should no better and saving fuel is not by decelerating but what is d manner of powering his drive i mean d level of tachometer neddle wen on motion because 9ja somtim pedal more on cars irrespective of any available distance
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by Ikenna351(m): 9:55pm On Jan 04, 2011
peaceland:

Hi,
stumbled across this post and looks like God sent.
I really need your advice on this:
I use Honda Civic 98 automatic. about 4 weeks ago had to take it to the mechanic due to sluggish performance and jerking which was diagnosed to 2 dead spark plugs. i changed same and serviced the engine.
while on Christmas trip, same thing started again and i have to completely throttle down to gain good overtaking speed. on getting home, i did the simple test i was taught, started the engine and start removing/speed the 4 spark plugs one by one, the 2nd to the right was dead; not having any effect on the engine sound.
now my question is this:
1; what can cause this. note that i use top quality NGK spark plug (titanium or platinum - cant remember now)
2: a friend said i should change the engine, another said i should ring the engine; which is likely to be the best thing to do
thank you & have a lovely new year
[/quote

Is the spark plug tension wire still supplies current to the plug in question? Did you see oil on the plug surface? These are things you need to check first before concluding on rebuilding the engineor replacing it. It could be your valvetrain, which requires valve job. But you need to find out  the state of tension wire & plug (Oil) firts. Goodluck.Ikenna.
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 7:19am On Jan 05, 2011
hi peaceland,
u are sure of multiple answers, i quite agree with IKENNA too which means that we are almost saying same and issue surrounding the plug axis, moreover scan that car b4 going ahead to do any major work on the engine. Av a good day
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by Edunwa302(m): 11:49am On Jan 05, 2011
Men i am realy impress on ya post,its very correct and is the key to every vehicle life
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 9:51pm On Jan 05, 2011
:d
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 10:07am On Jan 06, 2011
u are welcome anytime
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 8:56pm On Jan 06, 2011
cool
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 8:43am On Jan 07, 2011
;d
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 10:03pm On Jan 07, 2011
;d
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 9:23pm On Jan 09, 2011
;d
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by kele1975(m): 10:54pm On Jan 09, 2011
Engineer Please how do i get the TCS light of from my EOD and there is this noise coming from the turning of the steering when I start the car and turn the steerring around but after about 20-30mins of driving the car I will not hear the noise again till the next day when I will start the car again Please what is the cause of this noise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Please Who Here Have Bought A Car From Jiji? / From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. / PHOTOS: Bus Somersaults On 3rdmainland Bridge This Afternoon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.