Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Yesteryears Life Without Phones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Yesteryears Life Without Phones (4904 Views)

What Will Life Without A Smartphone Be Like For You In 2016? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yesteryears Life Without Phones by lekanjohn(m): 12:48pm On Nov 22, 2010
I cant forget in a hurry the way we live our lives before the advent of GSM in Nigeria.Could you believe that whenever my dad would travel in those days,he would send me to his friend living about 1 kilometer away from our house to wait for him at the bus stop so he could pick him along ? This would cost just a minute call in present day.

Can we share our experiences as it relates to living without phones in those days ?
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by spikedcylinder: 2:40pm On Nov 22, 2010
Pursuing Nitel all over the place to come and reconnect our line. And we actually knew which one was our telephone wire line out of the many lines on the pole. cheesy
Those Nitel guys were a pain in the kini that time. angry angry angry
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Ranoscky(m): 2:49pm On Nov 22, 2010
My broda, no be small thing O.

Had to trek from Aguda to orile just to check if my mom's friend is around so they can go to sunday meetin together.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by wale4x35(m): 2:57pm On Nov 22, 2010
I remember the agony of going from Ijesha, Surulere to Cow Lane on Lagos Island to see my then girlfriend.

Only to found out that she too had already left for Ijesha to see me. We missed each other. grin grin grin grin
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by dejiavu(m): 3:00pm On Nov 22, 2010
After paying the NITEL bill still take a copy to their office to show that you have paid so that you line will not be disconnected. YEEPEEEE for GSM.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by augustborn: 3:02pm On Nov 22, 2010
Remember how I used to wait 4 my girlfriends call 4 almost 2hours, even praying that the call will go thru.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by oludashmi(f): 3:04pm On Nov 22, 2010
wale4x35:

I remember the agony of going from Ijesha, Surulere to Cow Lane on Lagos Island to see my then girlfriend.

Only to found out that she too had already left for Ijesha to see me. We missed each other. grin grin grin grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by fender(m): 3:06pm On Nov 22, 2010
I remember the regular tones @ the Nitel phonebooths, ", all national trunks are currently busy"Lol
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by armyofone(m): 3:12pm On Nov 22, 2010
were there phonebooth in nigeria? never seen one.

is GSM the same as cell phone?
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by iice(f): 3:18pm On Nov 22, 2010
Still the same. Everyone still tells me to check my phone because they left me messages.
Same with calls. . .i usually just end up with voice messages or missed calls.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by GBT(m): 3:18pm On Nov 22, 2010
Pursuing Nitel all over the place to come and reconnect our line. And we actually knew which one was our telephone wire line out of the many lines on the pole.
Those Nitel guys were a pain in the kini that time.

TRUE TALK[img][/img] wink
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Nobody: 3:25pm On Nov 22, 2010
how we used to have two whole families in our sitting room at about 2.a.m waiting for their son's international call from abroad, and how my dad used to lock the landline with a little padlock to disable us from making calls grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by UyiIredia(m): 3:33pm On Nov 22, 2010
lol >>> for me >>>  life goes on without phones cuz of a uni and its legalisms
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by semid4lyfe(m): 3:37pm On Nov 22, 2010
Hmmm. . . .e nor easy those days. I used to go deliberately to Popsie's office just to make use of his office landline grin
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by yemi221(m): 3:44pm On Nov 22, 2010
remember when my bro used to send me to deliver love letters to his girlfriends quite a long distance mehhn
sad sad
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by twinskenny(m): 3:49pm On Nov 22, 2010
wale4x35:

wow dats so damn annoying grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by twinskenny(m): 3:52pm On Nov 22, 2010
i remember too when my boss used to ask me to go and pay his bill, only to get thre and que for over an hour, at then end of the day they will tell you that there is not service
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Viciyke(m): 3:58pm On Nov 22, 2010
I remember my dad sending me 4am errand 2 my elder bros who lives about 4 kilometers away 4rm our house so dat i can catch up with him b4 he lives 4 work cos he goes 2 work very early 2. Imagine d amount of sleep i miss waking up 4am in d morning jus 2 drop off one or two messages on so many occasions. angry angry angry angry
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by medjai(m): 4:05pm On Nov 22, 2010
I was quite young then so I didnt really feel it plus we had the NITEL land phone too.
Besides, the university I graduated from does not allow the use of phone. . .
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by ritapearl(f): 4:10pm On Nov 22, 2010
Back then in the university all my friends that had their parents and boyfriends out of town used to call my land line at home. They will first call me and fix a particular time they will call them to speak with them. Fortunately for them, i wasnt living in the hostel.

I also remember when my parents used to lock the phone when they noticed the bills were high(not with a padlock but with some connections with NITEL i think), then we used to tap the call. If the number is 234137- To dial 2 you tap 2 times etc.

It was fun then.

I wont forget to add that i used to receive gifts from my friends boyfriends for the errand.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 22, 2010
people still live without phones. i can live without a cell phone to be honest
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by ifyalways(f): 4:13pm On Nov 22, 2010
Whole family sitting up for hours waiting for an international call from a relative abroad.
Chasing Nitel up and down.Nitel knotting phone lines with different colours of celophane for easy recognition and differentiation.
Walking up long distances to deliver messages to friends only to find out that the friend is not at home.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by MaiSuya(m): 4:23pm On Nov 22, 2010
Waking up at night to make int'l calls (was the only time it went through)

Spending almost N100 (big money then) on transport to receive a 2 minute call.

KAI! it was not funnny. . . embarassed
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by goggs(m): 4:30pm On Nov 22, 2010
and some people say OBJ did nothing in the 8 years he was in office! Una go talk true, Mmcheeeew! Oya next person,
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by goggs(m): 4:32pm On Nov 22, 2010
and some people say OBJ did nothing in the 8 years he was in office! Una go talk true, Mmcheeeew! Oya next person, grin
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by gongoaso1: 4:40pm On Nov 22, 2010
. . . tapping our landlady's line cheesy
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by obyann(f): 4:46pm On Nov 22, 2010
NITEL phone boots was something else. grin to make 1 minute call you have to wait for aleast 30 minutes cheesy
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Afam4eva(m): 4:49pm On Nov 22, 2010
Those days were had. My Mother had to travel from one town to the other just to go and receive a phone call from america so that she can withdraw money via Western union. This usually takes the whole day. Thanks to not just GSM but technology in general.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by holydante(m): 4:54pm On Nov 22, 2010
armyofone:

were there phonebooth in nigeria? never seen one.

is GSM the same as cell phone?

omg, phone booths still dotted our landscape even in the late 90's, the perennial snaked queues emanating from it was enough indication.

I suppose GSM is ''global system for mobile communications and cell phone  is an electronic device used for communication. Let the experts in the house expatiate further

I used to spend hours at AMA JK Owerri where Nitel ''junk'' trunk facility is located just to place a call to my folks abroad, the in-thing then will be ''there is no dialling tone'' etc, it later became an avenue to chase girls cheesy as sweet girls will cluster waiting for their turn and guys will be picking their choose from amongst them : wink
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by brilliance: 4:54pm On Nov 22, 2010
This reminds me of the Phone Booth.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by megastu(m): 5:02pm On Nov 22, 2010
stayed in queues for hours at Nitel office to make three minutes international call.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by duno: 5:02pm On Nov 22, 2010
Imanuelle:

how we used to have two whole families in our sitting room at about 2.a.m waiting for their son's international call from abroad, and how my dad used to lock the landline with a little padlock to disable us from making calls grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

travelling from ago-iwoye (school) to ijebu-ode to receive/ make international calls

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NCC To Bar Unregistered Sim Cards By March / How To Download Music On 2go In Nigeria. / Don't Buy The Infinix Hot 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.