Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,427 members, 7,800,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

Is Gambling On Football A Sin - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Gambling On Football A Sin (19748 Views)

Is Gambling A Sin In Christianity? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Is Fornication Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by sulorog(m): 7:11pm On Nov 22, 2010
:p :d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by manny4life(m): 7:44pm On Nov 22, 2010
First ask yourself; what is gambling and what is the biblcal definition of sin, when u get get the two and add the words together that should answer your question i believe.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by amurx(m): 8:57pm On Nov 22, 2010
either on football or elsewhere gambling is gambling hence not good
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by dayokanu(m): 9:34pm On Nov 22, 2010
Why is it not good.

Give good reasons pls
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by scopusng(m): 10:02pm On Nov 22, 2010
Anybody who says betting is a sin is a slowpoke.  Just attached some of my live betting account history for view. Good cash  and I am happy. To hell with those that think betting or gambling is a sin.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Nobody: 10:49pm On Nov 22, 2010
from wat i can see on here, almost all the reponse from fellow users showed that we are toooo self righteous, >!!! what do u call sin? and what is not a sin/ look man, religion is what is bleeping nigeria up today, !! I am a born again christian, but I think some preachers go to the extreme with their teachings, If you look inward you will find out that most of what some "certain" preachers talk is bullcrap, My christembassy pastor in london once had an evening bible session, and someone asked him this same question, In my mind, I wonder does it really make sense asking the question in the first place?
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by supereagle(m): 5:20am On Nov 23, 2010
I have not entered into football betting because I want to be scriptural sure of what Bible says about it. Though one may not get direct information from the Bible , but one can get something nearer.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Nobody: 8:26am On Nov 23, 2010
Believe me, anyone who condemns football betting is never a soccer fan.Did I force the person to bet?
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Reference(m): 9:15am On Nov 23, 2010
One of those iconic threads. A real mind bender. IMHO, 1. Any decision taken for gain without a control of the outcome is a gamble. Be it stocks, currencies, comodities, soccer matches, options, bingo, horse races, oil exploration or other activities that interface with nature.

Now if we believe gambling is a thoughtless exercise how would you compare me a novice who has lost a lot in the Nigerian stock and mutual funds market because I knew nothing. Am I a gambler or not. Now how do you compare me with those folks I know who know the premiership in and out that they win regularly or study advanced charts and can predict where the dollar, gold, pork bellies or platinum will be next week, or have such sharp intuition they will floor you in bridge, poker time after time.

Where is the line between skill, knowledge, effort and luck in all human endeavour and gain and where does gambling fit in.

For goodness sake am I gambling on MTN, Philips, Nissan, Aero, Dstv, IBTC/Stanbic, etc. How much of them do I/can I know before I try them for gain.

Over to you guys.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Toppiano(m): 9:51am On Nov 23, 2010
Am confused here.
I played and won some money on rapido. I rarely win gambling right from secondary school, but here am I winning about 3 times. Am not sure if it is wrong, all I know is am never addicted to ANYTHING in my life. I only play when am kinda certain.
Remember, GET RICH OR DIE TRYING

1 Like

Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by firebrand: 11:26am On Nov 23, 2010
america visa lottery, canada visa lottery, bonanza on purchased commodities are all gambling.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Markenny(m): 12:29pm On Nov 23, 2010
best soccer prediction site for bet,

www.soccervista.com
bet of the day always come 100 percent.check it it if a gamblin,
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Krayola(m): 12:54pm On Nov 23, 2010
Haha this reminds me of amala thread.

U will soon see some theories about pure DNA and how abraHam was promised Vegas.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by baslone: 2:50pm On Nov 23, 2010
Life itself is a big GAMBLE!
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by tkb417(m): 4:44pm On Nov 23, 2010
I don't think its a sin,but if it is please God forgive us.

Best post grin grin

and i say amen to ur prayer

Reference:

One of those iconic threads. A real mind bender. IMHO, 1. Any decision taken for gain without a control of the outcome is a gamble. Be it stocks, currencies, comodities, soccer matches, options, bingo, horse races, oil exploration or other activities that interface with nature.

Now if we believe gambling is a thoughtless exercise how would you compare me a novice who has lost a lot in the Nigerian stock and mutual funds market because I knew nothing. Am I a gambler or not. Now how do you compare me with those folks I know who know the premiership in and out that they win regularly or study advanced charts and can predict where the dollar, gold, pork bellies or platinum will be next week, or have such sharp intuition they will floor you in bridge, poker time after time.

Where is the line between skill, knowledge, effort and luck in all human endeavour and gain and where does gambling fit in.

For goodness sake am I gambling on MTN, Philips, Nissan, Aero, Dstv, IBTC/Stanbic, etc. How much of them do I/can I know before I try them for gain.

Over to you guys.
nice one jare
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by tkb417(m): 4:47pm On Nov 23, 2010
Markenny:

best soccer prediction site for bet,

www.soccervista.com
bet of the day always come 100 percent.check it it if a gamblin,
been using soccervista for more than a year now and i dont agree their predos come out 100% good

i dont usually agree with their predos sometimes cos they forcast based on the last 5 games

they predicted Chelsea to beat Sunderland over 3-0 and we all know what happened
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Image123(m): 7:40pm On Nov 23, 2010
good to be back, thank God, I thought to meet a barrage of insult and curses, thank God i'm spared.
I asked for a definition of 'gamble'
Please kindly give your definition of 'gambling'. I will be back
I'm yet to see that. the reason i asked is so that we can be clear what we're discussing. Gamble could mean among others,
1. to play games such as poker or roulette that involve risking money, or bet on horse races or other events, in the hope of winning money
2. to bet a sum of money on the outcome of an event or competition
3. to take a risk in the hope and expectation of a desired result
Microsoft® Encarta® 2008. © 1993-2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

My longman dictionary says "to risk money or possession on the result of something uncertain" OR "to do something that involves a lot of risk and that will not succeed unless things happen the way you will like them to"
As can be observed, the word 'gamble' can be used in different ways. The 'gamble' i guess the OP referred to is a bet, put your money down i put my money down, if so so happens i take all, if not you take all. that's quite different from the analogies many have been making. A gamble is always a risk, but not every risk falls into this gamble category.
It's surprising that some people don't want us to involve God/religion in this discuss. But the Bible says 'as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. ' It's in the religion section of nl for one, and there's nothing wrong for a child of God to want to do what Jesus would do. That's why i've said that anyone who has the Spirit of God will know that gambling on football is a SIN. It's when you don't know Him that you'll have doubts, it's not my fault if you don't know Him. The Spirit of God will NEVER lead a child of God to gamble. Most of those who are supporting gambling on this thread are gamblers so that's logical, but when you go above logical to spiritual, you'll not want to defraud your neighbor in any matter. You'll not want to gain at the detriment of others. So off to your posts.

Life itself is a big GAMBLE!
While i partially agree that life is a risk, it's not a gamble in the OP's context. that two words are spelt the same way doesn't mean they must have the same meaning e.g Lie and Lie, one is a sin while one is what we all do when we rest. There are various levels of risk. Breathing itself can be considered a risk because one can breathe in poisonous gas, but we don't compare this to the risk of jumping off a speeding car on the third mainland bridge Lagos. One is unavoidable, the other is criminal and avoidable.

Am confused here.
I played and won some money on rapido. I rarely win gambling right from secondary school, but here am I winning about 3 times. Am not sure if it is wrong, all I know is am never addicted to ANYTHING in my life. I only play when am kinda certain.
Remember, GET RICH OR DIE TRYING
Ever heard of pathological gambling, it's a sickness that Jesus can cure. About getting rich or die trying, i don't understand that one. One can get rich and go to hell fire. life is more than making money.
Any decision taken for gain without a control of the outcome is a gamble. Be it stocks, currencies, comodities, soccer matches, options, bingo, horse races, oil exploration or other activities that interface with nature.
Very correct.

If you lost a lot, it shows that you took a lot of risk which is unwise. A novice shouldn't be doing business, you get/pay professionals or go and learn. Foolishness is not a fruit of the spirit. BBC's Mark Lawrenson 'knows the premiership in and out' and makes predictions, he still misses. Football is a game, it's not over until the final whistle. One can be leading 2-0 or even 4-0 and still draw or lose the game. There's no reliable chart in football to say that this will be the next result. The best that can be done is predictions. It's unlike the dollar, gold or platinum where there are charts, graphs, trends and co to intelligently decide what will be next. Carelessness or risk may not always fall under the 'gamble' class. If someone is careless in business, he may lose. In business, you buy something and then gain from what you bought. You buy gold, you buy dollar, land, and it appreciates then you make profit. It's different from 'bring your money i put my money chelsea will win', that's not business.

Anybody who says betting is a sin is a slowpoke.  Just attached some of my live betting account history for view. Good cash  and I am happy. To hell with those that think betting or gambling is a sin.
You can just imagine. another person, is it tbk417 was asking if greed is a sin. Yes, greed is a sin.
Good cash and 'happiness' is not equal to righteousness. In the religion section, i think people think about righteousness.

Now list out the points that make staking  a SIN compared to real estate and Stock market
i've mentioned them above, but just to re-cap,
- Staking is not buying and selling unlike real estate and stocks
-In staking someone MUST lose for you to make money, while in stocks and real estate it doesn't have to be so.
- Staking is based on luck, stocks and real estate are based on trends.
- Staking is rooted in greed, stocks and real estate can be investment based on planning for the future.
- Staking is illegal in many parts of the world, stocks are not illegal.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by dayokanu(m): 8:04pm On Nov 23, 2010
- Staking is not buying and selling unlike real estate and stocks

Must it be buying and selling? Both involves taking risk to get money that is not yours

-In staking someone MUST lose for you to make money, while in stocks and real estate it doesn't have to be so.

No. In stock you buy low and sell high, Its your ability to know "low" points and high points that makes you money and you clean out from people who are still buying the stock when it has peaked

- Staking is based on luck, stocks and real estate are based on trends.

So if Aki and pawpaw is fighting Klitchsko Its based on luck? If Barcelona is playing Yeovil Town that is luck Staking is based on trends.

- Staking is rooted in greed, stocks and real estate can be investment based on planning for the future.

Pls expatiate on this You turn 1 million to 10million in real estate and that is not greed but turning $100 to $1000 from staking is greed.

- Staking is illegal in many parts of the world, stocks are not illegal.

Is it a sin is the question, Reading a Bible is illegal in many parts of the world, So what are we saying Saudi, China, are example
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Image123(m): 8:17pm On Nov 23, 2010
the money you gain from stock market where did it come from?

Is stock market not a gamble? Why do people lose money from it? Even Professors of Finance from Wharton have lost money, Warren Buffet has lost money.

Real estate? If you buy a land for 1m and 2 yrs later someone offers to pay 100m for it, Now tell the person you are not greedy and you would sell it for 1.1million
The money you gain from the stock market comes from appreciation of your share or currency. you buy for 5bucks and it rises to 7bucks, then you sell. You make a gain of 2bucks, that's business.
People lose money in business for different reasons. The professors and Buffets gain more than they lose because they do not just gamble but make intelligent decisions while doing business. they buy at the right time and sell at the right time. Anything can be turned into a risk 'gamble' if one is careless/carefree. My replying you can be made very risky if i decide to do it while driving. you may well ask "Is replying dayokano on nl not a gamble?" If someone offers to pay you 100million for something you bought 1million, you should be extra-careful methinks. While it may not be your making that you're offered 100million, i guess it will be greedy to be the 1st to ask for 100million.
we professional bettors    make informed analysis b4 we stake our bets

Betting na profession . Im sure you know some people get paid to kill people like soldiers
are they sinners? so dont talk ill of my profession here or i go whoze u
Honestly? Find honest work please. 1Thessalonians 4:12  That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.

For example in the Kentucky horse betting before you bet you have to know the breed of the horse, the family history and the track record of the rider as well. Those are tangible analysis that determines how PROFESSIONALS bet.

In football Arsenal is playing Tottenham, You have to know what the current form of both team is, Who are the key players and if they are injured, Is it a home or away game, Is it a key game or just a novelty match, You have to follow news before the game is played to get up to date information. Thats what differentiates a Professional from those old men that just play "Pool"

In Stock market most times you gain because others lose.

You have done your analysis and think its best to get out now, while other think its best to get in now, then you are mostly cashing out on the money others invested
All that one knows in betting is history, it doesn't determine the next result. For no strong reason, a team may win its next match 1-0 or 8-0, it may as well draw the match or lose, its not over until the final whistle UNLIKE stocks where you can say for sure that this share will rise over this period of time because of this and this. You gain in stocks not because others lose but because what you bought low is now selling high due to factors like demand, government decisions, economic budgets, charts and trends. This is business (buying and selling), Betting is NOT. People go to school to study these things i.e stocks and real estate, thats what terms them as PROFESSIONALS, not club fanbases.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Image123(m): 9:26pm On Nov 23, 2010
Must it be buying and selling? Both involves taking risk to get money that is not yours
I was stating the difference between the two. you guys were like 'if gambling is a sin, what about stocks and real estate', implying that they are the same thing. I think stocks and real estate always involve buying and selling. Gambling involves getting money that is NOT YOURS like you've rightly said, but stocks and real estate involve gaining, appreciating in value. Your shares were worth 5bucks, they are now worth 7bucks.
No. In stock you buy low and sell high, Its your ability to know "low" points and high points that makes you money and you clean out from people who are still buying the stock when it has peaked
The bolded is what is called intelligent decisions. You don't necessarily have to wait till the stock peaks before you sell, wise investors don't do that, greedy people do that more. thats why they often lose. Its called demand and supply, someone wants/demands your stock for higher than you bought it because you knew that they will demand for it based on calculable factors, then you sell. How is it difficult to see that this is so different from gambling that club A will beat club B, this one is not business its luck.

So if Aki and pawpaw is fighting Klitchsko Its based on luck? If Barcelona is playing Yeovil Town that is luck Staking is based on trends.
Would it be intelligent to bet against? Thats why i just said gambling is not based on intelligence but on luck  and predictions. Ever heard of the term 'upset'? something unexpected can happen at anytime or match, the referee, an owngoal, the weather, ill luck, overconfidence, anything and everything. It's unlike business trends.

Pls expatiate on this You turn 1 million to 10million in real estate and that is not greed but turning $100 to $1000 from staking is greed.
Staking/Betting is rooted i.e founded/based on greed i.e avarice, covetousness. wanting to take what belongs to another man, winning at the detriment of others. This is against the Spirit of Christ.  

1John 3:13  Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
14  We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
15  Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
We as christians ought to lay down for others, not live at the expense/disadvantage of others.
In real estate, you invest wisely hoping to gain for a particular purpose. You sow, then it yields over time(due to factors like demand, scarcity, inflation, money spent on the property etc)  and you look for someone who will buy. Its quite different from intent to take somebody else' money off him and leave him a loser.
Is it a sin is the question, Reading a Bible is illegal in many parts of the world, So what are we saying Saudi, China, are example
You asked for  'points that make staking  a SIN compared to real estate and Stock market'. It is rightly seen as illegal by the law, and believers ought to be law abiding EXCEPT when we ought to obey God rather than men.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Eemah(m): 11:12pm On Nov 23, 2010
Satisfy your conscience bru !

Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by dayokanu(m): 12:47am On Nov 24, 2010
All that one knows in betting is history, it doesn't determine the next result. For no strong reason, a team may win its next match 1-0 or 8-0, it may as well draw the match or lose, its not over until the final whistle UNLIKE stocks where you can say for sure that this share will rise over this period of time because of this and this.

Are you serious? How can anyone say for certain that one stock would rise over a period, Then everyone would be a millionaire

Why not use your strategy: Pick one stock go and borrow money from banks, Sell all your belongings, your posies land etc and use to buy it. Since you can say with CERTAINTY

Would it be intelligent to bet against? Thats why i just said gambling is not based on intelligence but on luck and predictions. Ever heard of the term 'upset'? something unexpected can happen at anytime or match, the referee, an owngoal, the weather, ill luck, overconfidence, anything and everything. It's unlike business trends.

Dont these upsets happen in Stock market? Or How did Giants like Lehmann Bros, BP, GM, Ford crash so badly?

Because betting is seen as illegal doesnt make it a SIN, You know its illegal to read or own a bible in some places too? So can we say its a sin?
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Image123(m): 12:15pm On Nov 24, 2010
How can anyone say for certain that one stock would rise over a period, Then everyone would be a millionaire
You seem to be mixing 5minutes 1hour up and down movement of prices to real INVESTMENT in stocks which the common man does. When you are well informed, you can make intelligent decisions on what stocks to buy. Like i earlier said, anything can be turned to a risk, even my replying a post. People can just minimanimo and buy a company's share, it's risky and quite different from sitting down, researching and choosing the best, or paying professionals to do it for you. Everyone would not be millionaires investing because not everyone makes intelligent decisions.
Dont these upsets happen in Stock market? Or How did Giants like Lehmann Bros, BP, GM, Ford crash so badly?
There are always reasons why stocks may go against the expected trend. It could be due to reverse of policies, new technology, poor management decisions, natural disaster, scandals etc. When these things happen, you make intelligent decisions on when to back out of the investment. Businesses like you mentioned above crash and people lose because of corruption and greed, not upsets.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by edeal247: 1:10pm On Nov 24, 2010
tbk417 and dayokano seems to ve research v,wellon this i need to be more convinced that its not a sin though those who do it without researcing very well on tyhe abilities of both teams are gambler and they loss mpney but those who take their time to foresee loser and winner trade not bet successfully.those who are against it should know that this does not involve phiscial contacxt with somebody who is trading at the other end.if will all study the abilities of each team before will trade (not bet),the company will be paying us from not onlythe lossers` money but the advitisers` money. tbk417 and dayokano contact me on edeal247@yahoo.com.for more help and advise from you.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by dayokanu(m): 3:59pm On Nov 24, 2010
@ Image,

Let me get you clearly,

Anyone who buys stocks without researching it properly is a SINNER because he also gambled?

What of someone that researched the two teams that are playing together and staked on the superior team and won, That cant be a Gambler by your definition
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Image123(m): 4:11pm On Nov 24, 2010
edeal247:

tbk417 and dayokano seems to ve research v,wellon this i need to be more convinced that its not a sin though those who do it without researcing very well on tyhe abilities of both teams are gambler and they loss mpney but those who take their time to foresee loser and winner trade not bet successfully.those who are against it should know that this does not involve phiscial contacxt with somebody who is trading at the other end.if will all study the abilities of each team before will trade (not bet),the company will be paying us from not onlythe lossers` money but the advitisers` money. tbk417 and dayokano contact me on edeal247@yahoo.com.for more help and advise from you.
I don't do MJ but it may be appropriate to say "speechless speechless that's how you make me feel". As in i don't comprehend the above, did you translate from another language?
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Image123(m): 4:19pm On Nov 24, 2010
dayokanu:

@ Image,

Let me get you clearly,

Anyone who buys stocks without researching it properly is a SINNER because he also gambled?

What of someone that researched the two teams that are playing together and staked on the superior team and won, That cant be a Gambler by your definition
like i asked earlier for your definition of gambling. I later posted some differing definitions. The word 'gamble' can be used as a synonym for risk. It's a different thing from the 'gamble' synonym for betting. Betting is the OP's concern, and that's what i addressed. Any form of betting is SIN. Taking risks is a different thing. When people make un-informed decisions, they're taking risks/being careless, not betting.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by dayokanu(m): 4:29pm On Nov 24, 2010
What is betting? Why is betting a sin? And how does this differ from making uninformed decision in stock market which you have no control over?
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Image123(m): 5:02pm On Nov 24, 2010
Betting means to agree to risk money on the result of a game, race, competition, or future event. Two or more people put money and say 'if A wins i take the money, if A loses you take the money'. This is what the original poster asked about, not buying and selling. Betting is a sin because, amongst other evils, it is illegal, it is based on greed and coveting, you only win at the DETRIMENT of others, the Spirit of God is against it, the Word of God does not support it.
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Image123(m): 5:05pm On Nov 24, 2010
Dayo, what controls the stock market if i may ask?
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by dayokanu(m): 5:09pm On Nov 24, 2010
Image123:

Betting means to agree to risk money on the result of a game, race, competition, or future event. Two or more people put money and say 'if A wins i take the money, if A loses you take the money'. This is what the original poster asked about, not buying and selling. Betting is a sin because, amongst other evils, it is illegal, it is based on greed and coveting, you only win at the DETRIMENT of others, the Spirit of God is against it, the Word of God does not support it.

That point in bold is very weak and uninformed.

In China, Saudi etc Holding church services is illegal therefore we can say they are SINFUl acts too?
Re: Is Gambling On Football A Sin by Image123(m): 5:19pm On Nov 24, 2010
i answered this earlier by saying."It is rightly seen as illegal by the law, and believers ought to be law abiding EXCEPT when we ought to obey God rather than men". 1Peter 2v13-17

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Annoying Thing An Usher Has Done To You In Church? / Will The “Great Crowd” Be On Earth When Armageddon Breaks Out? / Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.