Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,321 members, 7,808,078 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port (1121 Views)

Apc’s Lawyer Beaten, Arrested And Car Impounded At Enugu Governorship Tribunal / Pictures Of The Contents Of The Russian Plane Impounded At Kano Airport / Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by Abagworo(m): 11:55pm On Nov 22, 2010
Six trucks mainly used for military combat maneuvers and some military uniforms, a carton of bullets, an automatic pistol, military boots and tents have been impounded by the operatives of Nigerian Navy. The navy said the hardware were impounded last weekend at the Tin Can Island port during examination of a container from the United States.

A naval intelligence source told Daily Sun that the weapons were discovered by its operatives during examinations of importedgoods loaded inside containers. and imported into the country.
The trucks Daily Sun learnt had been taken to the naval base Apapa. It was gathered that the container was laden with communication equipment and military generators used to provide electricity for troops in theatre of war.

The naval intelligence officers who spoke, but declined to mention their names said the hardware were allegedly imported in the container tagged personal effect but which contents turned out to be weapons when proper examination was conducted.

detected in the container were two vehicles and other house hold items, including a 10 KVA generator and other personal effects.
Daily Sun also gathered that when the examination was being conducted, men of the Nigeria Police, Tin Can Island Command took away the automatic pistol imported along with the bullets and camouflage uniforms.

When Daily Sun requested that the pistol be exhibited alongside other arrested materials, it was revealed that the policeman who kept the gun had left the station.
However, four men alleged to be importer and agents of the military hardware were paraded alongside the hardware, but the men said the hardware was not imported for war purposes.
Although the importer declined to talk much on the items, he told Daily Sun that he never expected the parade. He said he was in the United States Marine and that the items belong to him.

“These are my personal effect, this whole issue is so unnecessary; it is almost like a stage event. It is almost embarrassing to call myself a military man among the kind of thing that is happening right now,” the importer who was identified as Sheidu explained.
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by Beaf: 1:02am On Nov 23, 2010
Aside from the carton of bullets and pistol, the importers have no case to answer.
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by DapoBear(m): 1:09am On Nov 23, 2010
Hrm. Quite interesting.
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by koruji(m): 2:30am On Nov 23, 2010
I won't be so sure about that. There could be a restriction on the category of trucks a person could import and/or the number of such trucks - what is he doing with six? How many "United States Marines" are importing 6 personal effects "military trucks"?

Beaf:

Aside from the carton of bullets and pistol, the importers have no case to answer.
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by Nobody: 4:26am On Nov 23, 2010
I this import is not for official Nigerian security outfit then the importers surely have case to answer.
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by homerac7: 5:58am On Nov 23, 2010
It looks like cheap news to me. I think d guy can always explain himself, afterall he claimed to b ex service man and its not uncommon abroad to c civilians get surplus declassified military gears or hardwares.

Guess d navy went for cheap propaganda.
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by Blazay(m): 6:00am On Nov 23, 2010
Terrorists in the west too? shocked

The naval intelligence officers who spoke, but declined to mention their names said the hardware were allegedly imported in the container tagged personal effect but which contents turned out to be weapons when proper examination was conducted.

Is that right?

“These are my personal effect, this whole issue is so unnecessary; it is almost like a stage event. It is almost embarrassing to call myself a military man among the kind of thing that is happening right now,” the importer who was identified as Sheidu explained.

Six trucks mainly used for military combat maneuvers and some military uniforms, a carton of bullets, an automatic pistol, military boots and tents

"Personal effects" undecided
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by okosodo: 8:15am On Nov 23, 2010
they are fooling us now
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by texazzpete(m): 6:07pm On Nov 23, 2010
Blazay:

"Personal effects" undecided

Apart from the handgun, those can actually be his personal effects. It's anybody's guess what make the trucks are, but there are many trucks and heavy lifting vehicles sold to civillians that are also at home in the Army. Uniforms can be 2 or 3, which could make sense if he's really a marine.

I'm not saying i believe what he's saying, just that it's possible.
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by houvest: 6:16pm On Nov 23, 2010
It is naive for folks to go to sleep thinking that all is well. I think folks should hold vigils, and prayers or sleep with one eye open because clearly some people have something in mind.According to the Bible,'When men slept, the enemy came and planted tares'. 'Nuff said.
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by juman(m): 6:32pm On Nov 23, 2010
houvest:

It is naive for folks to go to sleep thinking that all is well. [b]I think folks should hold vigils, and prayers or sleep with one eye open because clearly some people have something in mind.[/b]According to the Bible,'When men slept, the enemy came and planted tares'. 'Nuff said.

May God let them do whatever they have in mind so that the masses will be free from this enslavement. I don't know until when are we going to continue like this?.?.?
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by homerac7: 7:34pm On Nov 23, 2010
I still don't c anything incriminating in d declared manifest. I think we r getting paranoid.
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by DapoBear(m): 11:48pm On Nov 23, 2010
homerac7:

I still don't c anything incriminating in d declared manifest. I think we r getting paranoid.

Err, someone is building or has already built a fighting force in Nigeria, likely. So you should be a bit paranoid. It is a bad sign that imported weapons keep showing up. For every shipment that shows up in the news, that means 100 that were not found.
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by koruji(m): 2:32am On Nov 24, 2010
It seems that the truck and the personal effects are unrelated - at least according to the below story.

Another deadly cargo from USA
News Nov 24, 2010 By Godwin Oritse & Harriet Eramrerai
LAGOS— THE Tin-Can Island Customs Command of the Nigeria Customs Command, NCS, yesterday  intercepted another set of arms and ammunition concealed in four vehicles in a 40″ container.

This is the third time in less than two months that security operatives would be intercepting and confiscating arms and ammunition in the seaports.

Speaking to newsmen on the development, Customs Area Comptroller, Mr Austen Warikoru, said  the vessel, MV Safmarine Texas, that brought in the container from the United States had since gone back, adding that the importer and the clearing agents had been arrested.

He also stated that the items had actually gone through examination and were about to exit the gate when a second examination exercise was carried out following a tip off.
Also found in the container with number UESU 456777-3 includes 1,431 round of live ammunition, two hand guns, a large military bag, and  two military camouflage wears.

He noted that the way the four vehicles were packed in the container, it was really difficult to carry out a proper examination externally.

His words: ”To be sure of the content of the container, we had to carry out a second and proper examination.”

He also said the seized items, the suspected importer, Mr Ume Uzoize and the clearing agent, Mr Ifeanyi Edom, have handed over to the Police for further investigation.

Meanwhile, operatives from the Nigerian Navy Intelligence have also intercepted eight illegally imported military trucks just as two person have also been arrested in connection with the import.

In a statement the Federal Officer Commanding Rear Admiral Emmanuel Ogbor said that some of the seized items include a Chevrolet double cabin vehicle covered with a camouflage tarpauline spread neatly into a container.

“Inside the vehicle were some pistols, hundreds of live ammunition, bullet-proof jackets and military boots and sundry prohibited items.

“In addition, heavy duty military trucks used for the movement of troops and logistics were also impounded by the Command”.

He stated that the onslaught against these criminals will continue until they desist from the unlawful activities.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/another-deadly-cargo-from-usa/
Re: Military Trucks, Hardware Impounded At Lagos Port by Beaf: 3:39am On Nov 24, 2010
^
Now, that is quite alarming! 2011 promises to be out of this World, the good thing is that the authorities will have pointers to where and from whom problems can arise.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos,brt Soldier Dismissed (pic) / Wikileaks: Soludo Disappointed In Yar’adua; AGF Aondoakaa “worst” Minster / Lagos Movement Restriction.(lasiec Elections)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.