Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Can Marriage Survive Without Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Marriage Survive Without Children (6116 Views)

Poll: can love take the place of children in marriage

yes: 65% (38 votes)
no: 34% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

Please I Need Your Candid Advise Can A Marriage Survive Without Money? / Can A Relationship|marriage Survive Infidelity? / Can Marriage To A Beautiful Woman Keep A Man From Philandering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Marriage Survive Without Children by akino(m): 1:27am On May 25, 2007
In typical African setting,any marriage without issue will definitely incur the wroth of the immediate and extended family.Is marriage  all about child bearing or Love should be the focus
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by niceuzor: 2:23am On May 25, 2007
My guy Seun just dey change your topic like say na him bi the author of this thread,

Oga make u leave the thread the way e bi b4.

Abeg.
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by omogenaija(f): 2:46am On May 25, 2007
of course love should be the focus of marriage and also wat the couple wants in the marriage ,
some couples dont want kids while others do
and i hope the couple knows wat their partners want in a marriage b4 they get married.
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by uspry1(f): 3:14am On May 25, 2007
The love is the most important part of the foundation of the marriage relationship that is based on both couples' compromise of their marriage expectation whether they want to have children or not!

That is different strokes for different people!!!

What if your wife or husband cannot produce making babies due to health reason or other circumstances, can their marriage survive without children? Some marriage can survive, some doesn't!!! Think about it!!!
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by niceuzor: 3:41am On May 25, 2007
Still thinking about it my dear. wink
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by chiegemba(f): 4:00am On May 25, 2007
not necessary though,  Some marriages without a child still gets the necessary respect needed depends on how u present yourself to the family/ extended.
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by niceuzor: 4:15am On May 25, 2007
chiegemba:

not necessary though, Some marriages without a child still gets the necessary respect needed depends on how u present yourself to the family/ extended.

Good one from you dear. wink

@topic

Yep some marriage can survive without children
if both party are ready to abort children, because that
the only way i think marriage can survive with children,
in order word with God are things re possible both have
to hold on to God, remember the story of Abraham in the bible
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by spoilt(f): 5:57am On May 25, 2007
many couples have a hoard of kids and still got divorced. grin

1 Like

Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by niceuzor: 6:03am On May 25, 2007
how do u mean? cool
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by spoilt(f): 6:11am On May 25, 2007
having plenty children doesnt guaranty you happiness!

1 Like

Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by niceuzor: 6:28am On May 25, 2007
"Too many children you say".re u trying to say family

planning can't make marriage survive without children?
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by Everbright(f): 8:23am On May 25, 2007
It all depends on the couple
If children are the only  reason why they married,then definitely the marriage won't survive without kids
But if they married for LOVE,then when the challenges of childlessness set in,they should be able to reason together
and come to terms with the fact that the children at orphanages need to be taken care of.
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by joobreel(m): 9:04am On May 25, 2007
yes it is possible for marriage to survive without kids but this is africa, nigeria especially. if love will hold such a marriage where there are pressures from every angle, then that love must be made in heaven. these type of marriages survive but what are the %s. on adoption of kids, no matter how you try, it can never beas having your own bilogical kids. i ahve seen marriage of 12 years collapsed before they have no kids for each other despite the fact that the two parties have children( not for each other) . lets just pray such a situation happens to us because that is when you can really say if it will survive or not. all the best as you journey into/in your marriages
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by richylaw(m): 9:09am On May 25, 2007
It is quite possible for marriage to survive without children, but that is if you are outside the confines of the african context and you are totally let loose of ancenstral and cultural influence of our african nourished traditions.
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by Vicjustice: 9:32am On May 25, 2007
In western world, marriages can survive without children and children can survive without marriages.
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by Seun(m): 11:10am On May 25, 2007
Adoption is a very good option for those who can't conceive naturally. An adopted child is 99.999% of a 'real' child.
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by justme3(m): 11:13am On May 25, 2007
it depends on the circumstances and the patners themselves but personally, i ld rather be unmarried with kid(s) than vice-versa
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by lobinoxebe(m): 11:30am On May 25, 2007
let us be realistic and dont decieve ourself,

LOve and children are two differnt things in marriage,

most marriages whtuout children got colapes about 70% out of 100%

most of those that endures may be pastors and rev,

Child na the koko,
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by saints2(f): 12:03pm On May 25, 2007
Yes,Its quite possible for a marriage to survive without children in as much as "Geniue Love" and i repeat geniue love exists,But here in Africa especially in Nigeria,It takes the divine intervntion of God for both couples to remain together because of pressure from both the families,But its possible if Love exists.

www.riteweb.blogsot.com
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by Soundmind(m): 12:25pm On May 25, 2007
In typical African setting, mariage is for procreation not necessarily for love. that is why there is polygamy and early marriage. But since western education and christianity came into Africa, it is gradually been diluted.
Even at that, most marriage do not survive if there is no issue even in strong christian family. Enlightened ones go for adoption while others file for divorce. So generally, about 80% of marriage in Africa is looking at child bearing as the focal point of marriage than any other thing.
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by amosaye: 12:28pm On May 25, 2007
Yes, marriage can survive without children. We all know that anything is possible if there is the will. But the prayer is may non of us fall victim of such circumstance. Certain things are better explained than experienced.

ADVICE: make sure you truly love the person you want to marry. It makes a lot of things bearable.
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by 2dye4(m): 1:37pm On May 25, 2007
It would it be fair to say those challenged when it comes to pro-creation are not eligible for marriage? "NO"

Marriage, first of all is about love & companionship, kids are added benefits from God.
If kids were the underlining factor for d survival of any marriage, then how do you explain the kids that products of broken homes?
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 25, 2007
I was told of a dutch couple who decided they didnt want any kids at all when they are married.
To the best of my knowledge, they are still together, and happy.
The whole issue of kids in marriage is mostly due to our culture placing so much importance on it.
So having kids is not really neccessary for a marriage to be strong. Except if you specify a "nigerian/african "
marriage.(And some do work).
For me, I would like to have kids oh!
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by bigbaby(f): 2:17pm On May 25, 2007
Everbright:

It all depends on the couple
If children are the only reason why they married,then definitely the marriage won't survive without kids
But if they married for LOVE,then when the challenges of childlessness set in,they should be able to reason together
and come to terms with the fact that the children at orphanages need to be taken care of.

trust me i am speaking frm experience. my friends uncle and aunt have been married 4 4yr now with no kids and they are still happy
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by Ezinwannem: 3:28pm On May 25, 2007
I disagree, I have an aunt who do not have a baby since she married. She is in her late 40's now. Unfortunately, the husband died last week Tuesday in a motor accident. May His Soul Rest in Peace, Amen
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by BillGatesFan(m): 3:35pm On May 25, 2007
What am I doing in a marriage without a fruit? My bible tells me that any tree that does not bear fruit shall be cut down, better be a celibate MONK than be in a marriage without a child.

In that way I can use my Precious SPERM in the service of GOD and for my spiritual evolution instead of allowing one yeye woman to conterminate me and yet can't give me a child to show for it.
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by Ezinwannem: 3:42pm On May 25, 2007
dawg, what happens if it is your fault, does the same believe apply?
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by Ezinwannem: 3:51pm On May 25, 2007
BillGatFan, how is Quebec treating u? u dey 4 Montreal?
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by Maleeq(m): 4:11pm On May 25, 2007
@Topic

Yes, marriage can survive without children. In our society (Nigeria), the union is expected to produce fruits though. Anything short of that and you'll have the entire neighbourhood prying, wanting to know which one of the couple is "inactive" or stuffs like that.

It could be a matter of choice, either mutual or based on health risk that the couple don't give birth to any child. Bottom line is that they'll (especially the woman) feel depressed most of the time when they think about it. This depression would be light based the feelings they truly have for themselves.

I can't remember the book title, but I once read that the ultimate desire of every human union is the continuity of their blood line.(Animal Instincts!)
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by iyken(m): 4:21pm On May 25, 2007
BillGatesFan:

What am I doing in a marriage without a fruit? My bible tells me that any tree that does not bear fruit shall be cut down, better be a celibate MONK than be in a marriage without a child.

In that way I can use my Precious SPERM in the service of GOD and for my spiritual evolution instead of allowing one yeye woman to conterminate me and yet can't give me a child to show for it.

Oops! that hurts embarassed
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by mi1(m): 5:13pm On May 25, 2007
Good topic.

Honestly kids do help d bonding of the couples.

But it depends on what d couples want 1st.

sometimes u need to know wat u want in a relationship b4 goin into it.

Afterall wat is d main reason 4 marrying,
Re: Can Marriage Survive Without Children by bantos(m): 5:26pm On May 25, 2007
love covers all

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Foolish Mistakes Women Make in marriage / A Thread For Twins [share Your Pics] / Is Checking Your Spouse's Phone Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.