Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? (20500 Views)

Why Do Married Men Behave Like This? / Men Behave Better When Around Beautiful Women / Why Can't Nigerian Girls Have This Kind Of Tummy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by CILondon: 7:18pm On Nov 23, 2010
As a British born Nigerian woman, I have tried to be friendly with Nigerian born Naija men who came over to settle here in the UK as adults but I have to say it is not easy. I have noticed that they (Nigerian raised men) do not know how to conduct themselves and they are constantly overstepping the boundaries - all in the name of being friendly. For example in my previous job, there was a Nigerian male (Nigerian born and raised) who joined our team and I was friendly with him and tried to show him the ropes. I think he misconstrued my friendliness and tried to make more out of it than it was - but I was not interested. One day, when we were having a conversation, he playfully tapped his fist on my thigh which I was not happy about but I did not say anything. The real shocker came a few weeks later when I was sitting at my desk in the office talking to one of my female colleagues who was sitting beside me. The Nigerian male came and stood behind me and was joining in our conversation which I did not mind. Then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, he grabbed my throat from behind - wrapped his hands round my throat and started strangling me playfully. I was really shocked and screamed at him to get off which he did at once. But what shocked me was that he would even dare to do such a thing in the first place. He did not seem to realise that it is totally unacceptable to grab a person by the throat - especially from behind. He was very lucky that I did not report him or else he could have been sacked and arrested but I chose not to report him.

I have noticed this problem with almost all the Nigerian males who were raised in Nigeria - not the ones raised in UK - they are much more refined. As a result, I no longer associate with Nigerian males raised in Naija. as they seem to have no sense of propriety and not a clue about the correct way to conduct themselves.

So my question is this: Why don't Nigerian men (the ones raised in Nigeria) know how to conduct themselves appropriately?
In case you think it's just me who has noticed this have a look at this newspaper article about a Nigerian doctor who graduated from medical school at University of Ibadan and came over to UK. He was working in a UK hospital and managed to get himself sacked within 2 hours of starting the job.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8151740/Doctor-suspended-for-sexually-harassing-two-nurses-on-first-days-at-work.html
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by Dyt(f): 7:25pm On Nov 23, 2010
Lol @ my throat 4rm behind
inshort dis whole post is funny 2 me
efpmk ooooo
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 23, 2010
ohhhhhhhhh this thread is gonna get juicy subscribing grin grin
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by Yorisb: 7:36pm On Nov 23, 2010
As a British born Nigerian woman,

Bla blah blah. . .If u like be Queen Eliza's daughter. Mtchewwww!!! angry angry

I have tried to be friendly with Nigerian born Naija men who came over to settle here in the UK as adults but I have to say it is not easy. I  have noticed that they (Nigerian raised men) do not know how to conduct themselves and they are constantly overstepping the boundaries

What a sweeping generalization. . . angry

Talk is cheap!!

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by kokoye(m): 7:40pm On Nov 23, 2010
Well well,

I was raised in Nigeria and would never do that. And I know a whole lot of other guys who would not.

Too bad you've dealt with some freaks but please do not generalise - there are crazy men  and women raised worldwide.

I'm sure you dont need me to start posting countless links of foreigners acting crazy - both males and females.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by kokoye(m): 7:42pm On Nov 23, 2010
I know this is meant to be a Nigerian male bashing thread but I hope the guys here will not give you the satisfaction.

You check your attitude (dont wanna go into that, judging by the context of your post) and maybe you will meet decent guys.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by Atk1nson(m): 7:43pm On Nov 23, 2010
Anoda generalizatiön thread. Well, i suppose "men" in d above text refers to ur father,brothers,cousins & extended family. FOOL ,cos of d action of one man u condem over 10million

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by tpia5: 7:45pm On Nov 23, 2010
In case you think it's just me who has noticed this have a look at this newspaper article about a Nigerian doctor who graduated from medical school at University of Ibadan and came over to UK. He was working in a UK hospital and managed to get himself sacked within 2 hours of starting the job.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8151740/Doctor-suspended-for-sexually-harassing-two-nurses-on-first-days-at-work.htm

undecided

he might be a nairalander and mobo444 convert.

lord have mercy.

some men of nowadays undecided
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by kay177(m): 7:51pm On Nov 23, 2010
As a British born Nigerian woman

SSSHHIIOOORRRR  cry cry undecided

have noticed that they (Nigerian raised men) do not know how to conduct themselves and they are constantly overstepping the boundaries - all in the name of being friendly.

FALLACY OF HASTY GENERALISATION  tongue

he playfully tapped his fist on my thigh which I was not happy about but I did not say anything.

When the going was smooth tongue tongue

I was really shocked and screamed at him to get off which he did at once. But what shocked me was that he would even dare to do such a thing in the first place. He did not seem to realise that it is totally unacceptable to grab a person by the throat - especially from behind. He was very lucky that I did not report him or else he could have been sacked and arrested but I chose not to report him.

When both journey turned SOUR. shocked shocked

I have noticed this problem with almost all the Nigerian males who were raised in Nigeria - not the ones raised in UK - they are much more refined

Even Your Sense of assessment cu m Judgement is zero   angry sad

So my question is this: Why don't Nigerian men (the ones raised in Nigeria) know how to conduct themselves appropriately?

Take your[b] CASE to the POPE [/b] embarassed angry

I know this tread is meant to ATTACK SOMEONE,    angry embarassed

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by tpia5: 7:52pm On Nov 23, 2010
@ topic

visas are free and offloaded by the bucketful these days, hence the increased number of people of all persuasions determined to further ruin the image of nigerians.

dont know if this is supposed to be a male bashing thread [maybe you should use qualifiers like "some" for the sake of the few who still know the meaning of normal].

however, you're right- the guy seems to consider your friendliness as an invitation to get jiggy.

but the throat thingy is dangerous sha- which kind play be that.
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by EFCC1(m): 8:00pm On Nov 23, 2010
poster. where do you suggest Nigerian men should be raised
how many Nigerian men have you been with
who should be blame for their conduct?
is it only men breed grin in Naija that have all this characteristic you rigmarole above?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by obowunmi(m): 8:01pm On Nov 23, 2010
@OP

You are referring to uncultured and unexposed men --- NOT ALL Men born in Nigeria are like this.  The type of men that you are referring to are the ones who have been confined by the walls of their church. Once they leave Nigeria to come abroad --- the cannot handle the amount of freedom they have suddenly be exposed to.

My advice to you in life is Be cautious about generalizing.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by tpia5: 8:13pm On Nov 23, 2010
You are referring to uncultured and unexposed men

true.

it's not limited to just the ones who have been sheltered all their lives in or outside of a church.

meaning an uncultured and unexposed man is just that- boorish. I dont see how a church comes in here though it's true some men who used to be religious do go haywire once they travel abroad.
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by obowunmi(m): 8:14pm On Nov 23, 2010
^^^^ well said. I have my own biases.
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by tpia5: 8:16pm On Nov 23, 2010
^^the church reference just surprised me but come to think of it, stuff does happen.

wouldnt say never anyway. undecided
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by CILondon: 8:18pm On Nov 23, 2010
I'm sorry but I don't think I am generalising.
I have noticed this problem with more than one Nigerian raised male. It is also obvious to other British born Nigerian girls, not just to me. In the end I had to decide not to associate any more with Naija raised males because I don't need that grief.

Tpia - you are absolutely correct. Throat grabbing is very dangerous. he seemed to think it was funny/playful but I don't see it that way. If I had called the police, no doubt he would have been in serious trouble.

My point is that Nigerian born males just don't seem to know where the boundaries of appropriate behaviour lie. Always overstepping the boundaries
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by kokoye(m): 8:22pm On Nov 23, 2010
so how many men (raised in Nigeria) have you dealth with?

The same way you believe what other ladies have said, I have just told you that I am not like that . . .and I know a whole lot of men that are also not like that.

But still, because you have had the misfortune of dealing with a few crazies, you drop us all in the well.

I'm guessing all the men in your life were raised abroad?
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by tpia5: 8:22pm On Nov 23, 2010
CILondon:

I have noticed this problem with more than one Nigerian raied male. It is alos obvious to other British born Nigerian girls, not just to me. In the end I had to decide not to associate any more with Naija raised males because I don't need that grief.

Tpia - you are absolutely correct. Throat grabbing is very dangerous. he seemed to think it was funny/playful but I don't see it that way. If I had called the police, no doubt he would have been in serious trouble.

My point is that Nigerian born males just don't seem to know where the boundaries of appropriate behaviour lies. Always overstepping the boundaries

^^are these guys you mention the same way with foreign women?

i'm asking because there have been a lot of comments saying nigerian women are too standoffish with nigerian men, hence the men say they find non-nigerian women easier to approach.

this throat-grabbing guy: does he also grab the throats of non-nigerian girls and if yes, how do they react when he does that.

slap their thighs? Do they like it and encourage him?

just curious because i really dont understand what's going on.
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by CILondon: 8:27pm On Nov 23, 2010
Here are some more examples of Nigerian raised doctors who have overstepped the boundaries.

A Nigerian doctor who fondled his female patients.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1544304/Doctor-who-fondled-female-patient-will-not-be-struck-off-GMC-rules.html

A Nigerian doctor who fathered a secret lovechild with his patient
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-495000/Nigerian-doctor-fathered-secret-love-child-patient.html

A Nigerian doctor who sexually assaulted his female patient
http://www.africamasterweb.com/AdSense/NigerianDoctor20YrsRapeUS.html

And on and on it goes.
I'm sure you can see a pattern here - This is not coincidence

NIGERIAN BORN MEN HAVE NO SENSE OF BOUNDARIES!
THEY SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CONDUCT THEMSELVES APPROPRIATELY!!!
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by KennyG6(m): 8:28pm On Nov 23, 2010
CILondon:

I have noticed this problem with more than one Nigerian raied male. It is alos obvious to other British born Nigerian girls, not just to me. In the end I had to decide not to associate any more with Naija raised males because I don't need that grief.

My point is that Nigerian born males just don't seem to know where the boundaries of appropriate behaviour lies. Always overstepping the boundaries
There are scores of UK born naija guys that are on drugs, jobless, rapist/molesters etc, there are also loads of so called uk/naija girls whose life is literall f**ked up, so how you can say naija born men lack manners beats me.
Yes some men can be "crude" but hey we all see british guys/girls get pissed every weekend and do all sorts,
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by kokoye(m): 8:29pm On Nov 23, 2010
@ poster.

Since your mind is obvisouly closed, I wonder why you created this thread then.

Good luck to you.
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by Mygoldie(f): 8:30pm On Nov 23, 2010
wish i had the patience to read this post. embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by kokoye(m): 8:32pm On Nov 23, 2010
Nobody should blame MOBO4444 anymore then.

This poster is the exact female version.
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by kay177(m): 8:32pm On Nov 23, 2010

I would have appreciated your story if only you had used words like--- SOME, FEW, CERTAIN NUMBER OF THEM etc.
Its an insult on ALL NIGERIAN MEN for you to just tagged them--- BAGGED THEM AND BIN THEM IN SUCH A MANNER. angry angry embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by KennyG6(m): 8:34pm On Nov 23, 2010
CILondon:

Here are some more examples of Nigerian raised doctors who have overstepped the boundaries.

I'm sure you can see a pattern here - This is not coincidence
NIGERIAN BORN MEN HAVE NO SENSE OF BOUNDARIES!
THEY SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CONDUCT THEMSELVES APPROPRIATELY!!!
like there are no indian or british doctors who have been convicted of similar offence?
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by hakon: 8:40pm On Nov 23, 2010
Hello Brethren , no cursing please. We all need to help the sister out here.
a lot of guys do misbehave as well as girls . Most Naija guys are still a better option than their yankee counterparts, there is a lot of frustration in yankee so do not blame guys wey craze catch as they enter yankee. you are already used to the crazy born yankees so u might see their way of life as the normal way. Come home so that u will settle down with a true born naija man.
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by CILondon: 8:46pm On Nov 23, 2010
tpia@:

^^are these guys you mention the same way with foreign women?

i'm asking because there have been a lot of comments saying nigerian women are too standoffish with nigerian men, hence the men say they find non-nigerian women easier to approach.

this throat-grabbing guy: does he also grab the throats of non-nigerian girls and if yes, how do they react when he does that.

slap their thighs? Do they like it and encourage him?

just curious because i really dont understand what's going on.

I don't know what the throat grabbing guy is doing now as I have sinced moved on to another better paying job and left him behind. So if he is grabbing the white girls' throats, goodluck to him because I know they will have him arrested fast. They will not have the same sense of loyalty that stopped me from getting him arrested/fired.

Look at that doctor who sexually harassed the white nurses - they had him out of there in 2 hours flat!
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by Dyt(f): 8:51pm On Nov 23, 2010
Pls stop dis throat thingy
its so funny
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by kay177(m): 8:52pm On Nov 23, 2010
So if he is grabbing the white girls' throats, goodluck to him because I know they will have him arrested fast. They will not have the same sense of loyalty that stopped me from getting him arrested/fired.

Looked at that doctor who sexually harassed the white nurses - they had him out of there in 2 hours flat

tHAT doesnt mean you are better than those white ladies. angry embarassed undecided
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by KennyG6(m): 8:52pm On Nov 23, 2010
Dyt:

Pls stop dis throat thingy
its so funny
abi o, infact the guy should have grabbed the twin towers sef, maybe then she go let us hear word
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by Wislet(f): 8:53pm On Nov 23, 2010
*calling* mobo444 u better get in here & meet ur wife. Lmao. . . But since u'd probably hate each oda anyways, i suggest one of u stay up in de moon & de other on ground as u conduct de wedding. Wish y all de best! Ha ha ha ha. *Fuji house of commotion*
Re: Why Can't Nigerian Men Behave Themselves? by kay177(m): 8:54pm On Nov 23, 2010
Kenny_G:

abi o, infact the guy should have grabbed the twin towers sef, maybe then she go let us hear word

grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Please, In Which Of These States Am I Likely To Find Love And Work? / UBUNJA's MISEDUCATION: No Green Lights, No Approach. / Should I Allow My Womanizing Friend Date My Sister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.