Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,281 members, 7,807,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:15 PM

Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! (6972 Views)

One Vote For Two Honest Men / Sarah Jibril: “my One Vote Will Continue To Haunt Nigerian Women” / Soyinka And Tinubu Shun Oshiomhole's One-Man-One-Vote Rally In Benin City! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by mbulela: 7:41am On Nov 24, 2010
THISDAY can report today that Alhaji Atiku Abubakar defeated Gen. Ibrahim Babangida by just one vote to emerge the consensus candidate of the Malam Adamu Ciroma-led Northern Political Leaders Forum (NPFL) in the forthcoming Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)’s presidential primary.

It has also emerged that former Vice-President Alex Ekwueme will head a five-man committee to pick a running mate for Atiku, who yesterday said zoning was the bedrock of Nigeria’s unity.

But the Deputy Director General of the Ibrahim Babangida Campaign Organi-sation, Senator Kanti Bello, has described the decision of the consensus committee to select Atiku as “incomprehensible”.
While Atiku got four of the nine votes cast by the Consen-sus Committee, Babangida got three while Governor Bukola Saraki got two.

The nominee of former National Security Adviser (NSA), Lt. Gen. Aliyu Muhammed Gusau, is said to have cast the decisive vote for Atiku, although it was not clear if he did so under instruction from Gusau who did not score any vote.
The four persons who voted for Atiku, according to THISDAY sources, were Alhaji Bello Kirfi, Alhaji MD Yusufu, Baba Yero Mafindi and Ambassador MZ Anka.

Malam Ciroma, Senator Jibrin Salihu and Alhaji Magaji Dambatta were said to have voted for Babangida. Former PDP national chairman, Chief Audu Ogbeh, and Major-General David Jimebewon reportedly voted for Saraki.
The outcome of the exercise has surprised many, considering the fact that majority of the consensus committee members had given the impression that they would vote for Babangida.
A source, who witnessed the vote, told THISDAY yesterday that the vote of Yusufu was cast by an Atiku ally and former governor of old Kaduna State, Malam Lawal Kaita.

"MD Yusufu was not at the meeting but he instructed Kaita to vote for Atiku. There was a lot of bad blood among the wise men, especially when an argument ensued between Ciroma and Ogbe as to the method to be adopted for the voting.
"Ogbeh said the voting should be by secret ballot but Ciroma resisted. However, the intervention of the other members led to the adoption of the secret ballot system.

"Ciroma then insisted that all the members should use the same pen in marking the ballot paper and also have the ballot papers burnt after the voting. All the members agreed," the source, who declined to be named, added.
At a world press conference in Abuja yesterday, Atiku described zoning of political offices as the bedrock of the country’s unity.
He accused President Goodluck Jonathan of betraying zoning after he attended a meeting and where he voted for it.

Atiku took on Jonathan, asking rhetorically, “Why are our budgets not being implemented? Why has the money in our Excess Crude Account disappeared at a time when oil prices have been way above the benchmark used for our budget estimates? Why are our foreign reserves being depleted to dangerous levels leading to rating agencies downgrading our status? Why is this government quickly dragging us back to indebtedness after we worked so hard and sacrificed so much in the past to pull ourselves out of debt slavery? Clearly we need a new leadership.”

On zoning, he said: “It is the mechanism which, at this stage of our development, ensures that every segment of the country, especially minority groups, has a chance of producing the occupants of the most important offices in our country.”

According to Atiku, “We are a diverse people who recognised early in our history that national unity, fairness and equity require that we share positions of power among our diverse peoples. That is what we call zoning/rotation of public offices. That was why in the First Republic, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe from the South was ceremonial president, Tafawa Balewa from the North, the prime minister and other key positions went to people from various ethnic and religious groups. We maintained that tradition under military rule and through all civilian administrations. Zoning and rotation have never been perfect, but we have always recognized their importance for the peace, unity, fairness and justice in this country.

“It was against the background of alleged domination of the polity by the Northern part of the country that the founding fathers of the PDP came up with the zoning policy which has now been entrenched in our party’s constitution. Zoning has become part of our political culture. That is how the PDP zoned the office of president to the South in 1999. In 2002, an expanded caucus of the PDP reaffirmed the zoning of the Presidency to the South for another four years after which it would be the turn of the North for eight years. Our current President, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, was present at that expanded caucus meeting and voted in support of zoning.

“Those who were promoting this devil-may-care attitude demonstrated quite early that they would employ the power of incumbency and whatever means necessary to achieve their objective even if it means tearing this country apart. That is what led to the search for a consensus candidate in the North, to which the PDP had zoned the presidency. We believe that Nigeria is bigger than each of us individuals, including the incumbent president and that the unity of this country, equity and justice require that existing agreements freely entered into by individuals and groups be respected.

“This is not a North versus South thing as some dishonest people would like to frame it. It is about honour, trust and fairness. Our words must be our bond. We must learn to respect agreements so that the unity of this country may endure.”
A statement from the Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation denounced Atiku’s claims.
It read: “The allegation by former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar that President Goodluck Jonathan broke the Peoples Democratic Party agreement on zoning is not new. He and his political associates have persisted in rendering this untrue account of the evolution of the zoning policy of the party since they entered the race earlier this year. Our understanding of the issue, however, is that until August 12, 2010 when the National Executive Committee of the party approved a zoning policy, the party had none. Whatever existed before then was a whimsical arrangement among some party leaders that could not replace the provisions and guidelines laid down by the constitution of the party for decision-making and policy formulation.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the subsisting zoning and rotation policy of the party is: where an incumbent president dies in office, his successor shall, notwithstanding his zone of origin, be entitled to the rights and privileges of the previous occupant of the office, including the right to seek re-election. This is the policy enunciated by the NEC on August 12 and the agitation of Atiku against President Jonathan’s aspiration, which is in line with this policy, is in keeping with his knack for disrespect for the authority of the party.

“Let us be clear about this: Vice-President Atiku’s endorsement by one of the numerous informal political associations in the country represents no serious challenge to the aspiration of President Jonathan because the PDP and its members are not looking for a sectional leader whose antecedent suggests he is an unreliable party man. A man who will abandon the collective simply because of a temporary setback is certainly not one to be relied upon as the party's flag bearer. This in any case is subterfuge; an exercise in futility that will lead its participants absolutely nowhere because we are confident that in January, our party men and women will separate the wheat from the chaff.”Meanwhile, Atiku has set up a five-man committee charged with the responsibility of selecting a running mate to him as the presidential candidate.

The running mate to Atiku is expected from any of the five states of the South-east geo-political zone.The committee is headed by Ekwueme. Igbo leader, Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu, is also expected to be in the committee. THISDAY could not confirm the identities of the others.

So far, two known names are said to be contesting for the running mate slot. They are the former Senate President, Chief Ken Nnamani, and the former Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Prof. Charles Soludo. Both were present at the press conference.

Also, former Director General of the General Aliyu Gusau Campaign Organization, Senator Ben Obi, has been tipped to emerge as the new Campaign Director-General of the unified campaign.

All the four campaign outfits of Babangida, Gusau, Saraki and Atiku have been collapsed into one.The campaign chiefs of the four groups attended the press briefing.

Meanwhile, Senator Bello has described the decision of the consensus committee to select Atiku as “incomprehensible”.
Bello, who was reacting to Atiku’s selection in an interview with the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) said: “Well let’s pray to Allah, though this choice was contrary to what is in my mind. Let’s pray it is the truth. If I had known Atiku would be their choice and he was the right candidate, I would have followed him because I am not a fool.”

Every Vote Counts

For Atiku: (1) Kirfi (2) Yusufu (3) Mafindi (4) Anka

For IBB: (1) Ciroma (2) Salihu (3) Dambatta

For Saraki: (1) Jemibewon (2) Ogbeh

http://thisdayonline.info/nview.php?id=188410
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by Omenani(m): 7:47am On Nov 24, 2010
I am starting to sense that Igboland will be divided in its vote.
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 24, 2010
Omenani:

I am starting to sense that Igboland will be divided in its vote.

Well, I think the confusion called Nigeria will continue to drift more and more into confusion. The best thing is to make the six zones six regions like the former three regions. Nigeria is not one country and is not becoming one soon. It is obvious that the Igbos has lost it politcally and if they think that becoming a VP to Atiku will be their come back, then let go ahead. by and by, we shall see.

Funniest are the two names they are mentioning. Ken Nnamani exposed his greedy when he openly aligned with IBB. This is democracy and everybody is free to support anybody, but teaming up with IBB was going too far. Then is Soludo? I laugh in Igbo. The young man must have forgotten his rough experience in Anambra State. He should simply go back to the University and lecture.

Personally, if I am to choose between Jonathan and Atiku, Jonathan it would be.
By the way, where are the other cnadidates? Are these the best we can have? Nigeria!
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by JUO(m): 12:05pm On Nov 24, 2010
stories
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by badlaw(f): 12:20pm On Nov 24, 2010
i am not sure what all dis tfy in pdp mean, i pray nigerian will sack pDp, pls call Rubadu for me,cos he will ans me b/4 win
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by topeorekoy(m): 12:26pm On Nov 24, 2010
am lost here. if the election is to choose Northern concensus candidate, why did Jemibewon and Ogbeh vote?

are they notherners?
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by scholes0(m): 12:41pm On Nov 24, 2010
Uve forgotten about Kwara, Kogi Benue and some other so called Northerners?
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by ITbomb(m): 12:49pm On Nov 24, 2010
ciroma is ruffled. the plan was ibb all the way. trust ibb there is a plan B
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by semid4lyfe(m): 12:51pm On Nov 24, 2010
It doesn't matter who Atiku picks as running mate, GEJ will still defeat him at the Primaries.
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by juman(m): 1:01pm On Nov 24, 2010
semid4lyfe:

It doesn't matter who Atiku picks as running mate, GEJ will still defeat him at the Primaries.

Exactly.
But we the opponent of PDP we are waiting for them in general election. We are going to surprise them. We are going to win the election.
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by victorazy(m): 1:07pm On Nov 24, 2010
tshuuu
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by demoore1(m): 1:10pm On Nov 24, 2010
I think Igbos will benefit more from Atiku Presidedncy than GEJ. He is seriously stripping off Igbos high potfolios in his administration. eg IG of police, what do u think?
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by myprestige: 1:38pm On Nov 24, 2010
honestly, i prefer atiku than any other person before just that the man disappointed me in many ways, one of the way was when he returned to pdp. had it been he was still in acn, it would have been a strong opposition for gej. but now, i am assuring you that he is not going anywhere, because, gej will defeat him either by right or wrong, either by vote or fraud, either by peace or violence
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by Mesef1: 1:52pm On Nov 24, 2010
Sen. Ben Obi, Sen Nnamani, Prof Soludo, how many of these people can win a ward election in their states? I'm sorry for Atiku. GEJ will spank him well at the primaries because it is the governors in the states that have firm grips on the delegates and not frustrated people like the aforementioned.

I think the coast is getting clearer for GEJ.
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by scholes0(m): 1:55pm On Nov 24, 2010
Looks like you havent heared of so called northern states like Kwara  Kogi, Benue and the likes?
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by shellicon(m): 2:03pm On Nov 24, 2010
Does it mean dat we igbos cannot unite, Nnamani shldnt be dere. Prof. Soludo was a well respectd man in Nigeria bc of his contributn on d debt relieve. I xpectd him 2 go back 2 his proffesn like Ngozi iwuala. Although, he has d rite 2 contxt but d greatxt mixtake he made waz 2 contxt wit an incubent Gov of Anambra state, which brought 2 his downfall. I support Jonathan.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by shellicon(m): 2:14pm On Nov 24, 2010
Does it mean dat we igbos cannot unite, Nnamani shldnt be dere. Prof. Soludo was a well respectd man in Nigeria bc of his contributn on d debt relieve. I xpectd him 2 go back 2 his proffesn like Ngozi iwuala. Although, he has d rite 2 contxt but d greatxt mixtake he made waz 2 contxt wit an incubent Gov of Anambra state, which brought 2 his downfall. I support Jonathan.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by EmekaJs(m): 2:46pm On Nov 24, 2010
de-moore:

I think Igbos will benefit more from Atiku Presidedncy than GEJ. He is seriously stripping off Igbos high potfolios in his administration. eg IG of police, what do u think?

Anyway, you are saying this because you are not an Igbo, we the Igbos have already benefited so much from GEJ since he became Presido, countless things that we have been crying for the Abokis to do for us. Good examples are; Army Chief after 44 years, international airport after 50 years and many more. GEJ 4 live!!!
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by OlawumiX: 3:00pm On Nov 24, 2010
No matter what GEJ would win the PDP primaries, this arrangement just made it easier for him. Atiku's Press Conference cant erase who he really is, highlighting Goodluck's failures wont either, he is a common thief as proven in the US investigation of several bribery allegations

de-moore:

I sincerely think we need to move ahead from race issues, these guys dont consider that when the loot, lets alway look for the best man and not just the best man from a particular race
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by TeskyMan(m): 3:12pm On Nov 24, 2010
[size=14pt]Chei IBB escaped again. He overthrew Idiagbon and Buhari to protect his drug atrocities; Killed Dele Giwa to cover up his drug activities and Gloria Okon's saga; Killed Vatsa to sit tight as Military president; Ochestrated Ejigbo's military plane crash to destroy the armed forces to benefit him; escaped from Okar's bullets during the failed coup; took to his heels when the heat was up after his annulment of Abiola's June 12 election as president; ran from Okigbo's panel; chickened out of the presidential race with UMYA; and now used Atiku to escape again.
Alas, one day go be one day when IBB monkey go go market and in no go return. (everyday for the thief, but one day is for the owner. Let's all be patient, IBB's time to pay for his atrocities against Nigeria is very very near quote me.[/size]
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by Charlesook(m): 3:16pm On Nov 24, 2010
de-moore:

I think Igbos will benefit more from Atiku Presidedncy than GEJ. He is seriously stripping off Igbos high potfolios in his administration.  eg IG of police,  what do u think?

Atiku has nothing to offer to Nigerians not to talk of the Igbos he hated so much. We the Igbos are not fools and we will never support any other person than our own GEJ. Atiku is a loser and will remain a loser and his co-operative Society of Losers!

Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by confetti(f): 3:21pm On Nov 24, 2010
Its a pity men like Ekwueme, Nnamani and Soludo are aligning themselves with men of questionable character all in the name of interest albeit selfish.

When all is said and done, the North will definitely leave them behind, massacre Igbos in the North, loot their hard earned resources and the will come home empty. My only pity is that it will be the poor Igbos that will bear the Brunt of their political prostitution. Imagine Soludo, I can't believe him even with all the knowledge. Indeed, the love of money, power nd pleasure is the roof of all evil.
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by omojand: 3:23pm On Nov 24, 2010
Atiku will lose to GEJ, no doubt. He's an extremely currupt, desperate and despicable man and most Nigerians will not be fooled.

My only concern is that given his level of desperation, he may overheat the polity with one lawsuit after aother after GEJ's victory.  Believe it or not, this man is the jackie chan of do or die politics.
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by kemisuga(f): 3:27pm On Nov 24, 2010
Okay tongue
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by bestman09(m): 3:36pm On Nov 24, 2010
so even the north do not trust ibb anymore ;d ;d, any way, whether atiku or ibb, aboki is aboki and there is nothing for them now. up goodluck
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by marcdunu: 4:17pm On Nov 24, 2010
Now the real politics has kicked off.

Watch Prof Chukwuma Soludo will emerge VP to Atiku.

With that and with the Support of Alex Ekwueme and Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu, Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu will soon fall in line and the one after the other the political establishment of the South East will line up behind Atiku.

No be by being the front runner, watch Jonathan Goodluck get the Thabo Mbeki treatment. Remember Thabo Mbeki loose the machinery of ANC to former VP Jacob Zuma while Mbeki was still President? Remember Zuma eventually becoming the President of South Africa?

That card is about to be played out in Nigeria.

Ojukwu, Ekwueme, Nnamani, Soludo, Ben Obi, are political movers and shakers in the South East.

Ralph Uwechue is a toy in SouthEast politics. With time South East Governors will realise this.

Ignore Jonathan, let him keep sharing Nigeria's money in the name of running for elections.
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by marcdunu: 4:18pm On Nov 24, 2010
confetti:

Its a pity men like Ekwueme, Nnamani and Soludo are aligning themselves with men of questionable character all in the name of interest albeit selfish.

When all is said and done, the North will definitely leave them behind, massacre Igbos in the North, loot their hard earned resources and the will come home empty. My only pity is that it will be the poor Igbos that will bear the Brunt of their political prostitution. Imagine Soludo, I can't believe him even with all the knowledge. Indeed, the love of money, power nd pleasure is the roof of all evil.

and who says Jonathan Goodluck is not a man of questionable character?
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by loverob: 4:21pm On Nov 24, 2010
shocked

A
T

I

K

U

shocked

Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by benimeogu(f): 4:23pm On Nov 24, 2010
All
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by marcdunu: 4:25pm On Nov 24, 2010
Emeka Js:

Anyway, you are saying this because you are not an Igbo, we the Igbos have already benefited so much from GEJ since he became Presido, countless things that we have been crying for the Abokis to do for us. Good examples are; Army Chief after 44 years, international airport after 50 years and many more. GEJ 4 live!!!

Sorry before Jonathan became President the CDS was Igbo. His office is higher than that of Chief of Staff.
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by unite4real: 4:26pm On Nov 24, 2010
IF YOU SAY ATIKU WILL LOOSE BECAUSE HE IS CORRUPT. IN MY OPINION, THAT IS THE REASON WHY HE WILL WIN BECAUSE IT IS ONLY CORRUPT POLITICIANS THAT WIN ELECTIONS IN NIGERIA.

GBAM!
Re: Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! by Olalimits(m): 4:26pm On Nov 24, 2010
One   or   two   votes,win   na   win.
All   i'm   waiting   for   is   the   final   showdown!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Say Something Positive About Nigeria / MUST READ!!!! "Hon" Femi Gbaja-biamila: Another Crook In The House Of Reps? / SHOCKING!!! Sick President Muhammadu Buhari Disgraced Before The Entire World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.