Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

What Is The English Word For This? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The English Word For This? (7793 Views)

Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary / English Word With Three Different Consecutive Repeated Letters? / The State Of The English Language In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The English Word For This? by blackwood(m): 10:04am On Nov 25, 2010
Please what is the english word for chook or chuk, as in something is chuking me, my little 8 yrs sister used it in a sentence but i could not correct her, she said "I dont like that bedsheet because it use to chook me". I have heard it a lot everywhere but does it have a substitute english word? I am not even sure of the spelling
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by Kennyblues(m): 12:10pm On Nov 25, 2010
"Itch" i believe should be the correct word, but expect the unexpected from Nairalanders
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by blackwood(m): 12:13pm On Nov 25, 2010
@kennyblues

it cant be itch. I have heard sentences like "who chook this chair ?" you cant say "who itch this chair?"
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by egoamaka: 12:16pm On Nov 25, 2010
my 4yr old son also says this.i believe it depends on the context it is used eg my son usually says,mummy she chooked me first meaning she poked at me ; in this context. while in yours i believe it might mean itch just like the other writer said.
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by MC1(m): 12:17pm On Nov 25, 2010
Dats quite easy, it shud be 'prick' e.g, u cud either say chook u wit pin or prick u with a pin
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by Kennyblues(m): 12:21pm On Nov 25, 2010
it all depends on the situation as "itch" could have several meaninng. The sentence in which it is used tells the actual meaning such as irritate, scratch, prickle, tickle, tingle. However in the case of your little sister expession, SCRATCH is the most appropriate meaning.
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by petres007(m): 12:22pm On Nov 25, 2010
what a thread! and how did it get on the homepage sef, enh??

@OP.  .  .

No be everytin wey our language get english equivalent o

abi how would you translate this - "chooku chooku dey chook me"??  grin grin grin
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by blackwood(m): 12:23pm On Nov 25, 2010
M.C:

Dats quite easy, it shud be 'prick' e.g, u cud either say chook u wit pin or prick u with a pin

u might be right but why dont i want to tell my little 8yr old sister "prick" and also i can't say a nail pricked me but a nail chooked me

quote author=egoamaka link=topic=556773.msg7213831#msg7213831 date=1290683790]
my 4yr old son also says this.i believe it depends on the context it is used eg my son usually says,mummy she chooked me first meaning she poked at me ; in this context. while in yours i believe it might mean itch just like the other writer said.
[quote][/quote]

i really agree with you the context really matters
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by alstarmayo(m): 12:28pm On Nov 25, 2010
Pierce
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by tunyus(m): 12:31pm On Nov 25, 2010
they said i cant speak ENGLISH.they should also help me ask the ENGLISHMAN can he also speak YORUBA, rip Dagrin, lollllllllllllllllllllllllll,
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by fuqua: 12:34pm On Nov 25, 2010
op
i think it might be "POKE".
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by Kennyblues(m): 12:35pm On Nov 25, 2010
M.C:

Its wrong to say "chook u with pin" as chook is an offensive term as revealed by encarta meaning 'an offensive term that deliberately insults a woman's age or appearance' but rather say pierce u with pin.

Like I did say earlier, the context matters
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by AjanleKoko: 12:42pm On Nov 25, 2010
I'd say prick, prickly, prickle.

A needle jab is usually referred to as 'prick'. Also, Dusting powder is used to treat 'prickly heat', i.e. the needle-like jabbing sensation.
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by peelovee(f): 12:42pm On Nov 25, 2010
It should be CHOKE meaning: (a)Breathe with great difficulty, as when experiencing a strong emotion. (b) Struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake

E.g
1. She choked with emotion when she spoke about her deceased husband
2. This neckband is choking the cat
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by blackwood(m): 12:46pm On Nov 25, 2010
peelovee:

It should be CHOKE meaning: (a)Breathe with great difficulty, as when experiencing a strong emotion. (b) Struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake

E.g
1. She choked with emotion when she spoke about her deceased husband
2. This neckband is choking the cat

where did that come from?
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:52pm On Nov 25, 2010
The word Chook pronounced "shoook" has alternate representatives in the English vocabulary depending on the context in which it is used
One thing is clear though. the action of chooking carries more Negative connotations than positive and is usually "Deep - as in depth of action"

1: Why you chook me for back  - English alternate expression : A STAB in the back
2: Why you chook hand for me eye - English alternate expression : A POKE in the eye
3: Why you chook hand for my food - English alternate expression : A DIP in the pot
4: Why you chook my babe - English alternate expression : A DIP in someone's pot of soup and withdrawing with MEAT
5: I chook the bagaar for belle - English alternate expression : to SMOTE someone in the belly (Plunge Knife deeply and sideways like a gangster) like that BLACKAXE member in the Bible Abner

"And Abner said again to Asahel, "Turn aside from following me; why should I smite you to the ground? How then could I lift up my face to your brother Joab?" But he refused to turn aside; therefore Abner smote him in the belly with the butt of his spear, so that the spear came out at his back; and he fell there, and died where he was" (2 Samuel 2:22-23 RSV)
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by DJA: 12:53pm On Nov 25, 2010
in this context,i think ''pierced me'' is the right word
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by Kennyblues(m): 1:03pm On Nov 25, 2010
Choke is very wrong to replace chook as these are various meaning of CHOKE
1. Stop breathing through blockage of throat
Intransitive verb to stop breathing, or breathe with great difficulty, because of a blockage in or restriction of the throat

2. Constrict throat of somebody
Transitive verb to prevent somebody from breathing by blocking or squeezing the throat

3. Block passage or channel

Transitive verb to form an obstruction in a passage, channel, pipe, or roadway and prevent anything from passing along it

4. Prevent plants from growing
Transitive verb to prevent plants from developing by growing over them and depriving them of light and air

5. Become too moved to speak
transitive and intransitive verb to be overcome with emotion and unable to speak, or make somebody feel so much emotion that he or she cannot speak
6. Lose nerve and falter
Intransitive verb to lose nerve or confidence and falter in the middle of saying or doing something

7. Refuse to cooperate
Intransitive verb to refuse to cooperate when presented with something unacceptable
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Nov 25, 2010
It is not itch because people use chook when something is spiky or thorny. So it is used to poking me is what she should learn. There could be other words, but the situation doesn't bring in itchiness. Correct her too on the use of 'use or used' to poke me. The correct English if something happens all the time to you is it is used to poking me or it pokes me or at me, I am used to buying things from your shop. When you use 'I used to' without the 'ING' on the verb, that means in the past or you are about to restart.
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by blackwood(m): 1:06pm On Nov 25, 2010
Kennyblues:

Choke is very wrong to replace chook as these are various meaning of CHOKE

i totally agree with you
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 25, 2010
Please do not say something is scratching you, rather you're the one scratching  while it is itching.
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by Kennyblues(m): 1:10pm On Nov 25, 2010
ferdii, you are totally wrong
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by cdz: 1:14pm On Nov 25, 2010
The English equivalent in the context you have used it is either 'itch' or 'prick'. In isolation, however, equivalents can include 'stab'. This is just one of those rather interesting non-English expressions we use. Another is 'paining, as in: My hand is paining me. There's no such verb in English.
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by blackwood(m): 1:15pm On Nov 25, 2010
@ kenny blues
I think ferdii is right, if you feel otherwise please what pert of his suggestion is wrong
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by Kennyblues(m): 1:18pm On Nov 25, 2010
Poke is very wrong to replace chook as these are various meaning of POKE

1. Pro somebody or something with something
Transitive and intransitive verb to push the point of something such as an outstretched finger, elbow, or a stick against somebody or something else

2. Make hole in something
Transitive verb to make a hole or opening in something by pushing at it with a finger or a sharp object

3. Push something into hole
Transitive verb to push a finger or a long thin object into a hole, space, or opening

4. Protrude from something
Transitive and intransitive verb to stick out of or through an opening, surface, or covering in such a way that part of the object is visible, or make something stick out in this way

5. Search haphazardly
Intransitive verb to search or investigate in a haphazard or aimless manner

6. Meddle
Intransitive verb to pry or intrude into something, or meddle with something

7. Punch somebody
Transitive verb to hit somebody with a fist
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by dustydee: 1:20pm On Nov 25, 2010
prick is the word
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by Kennyblues(m): 1:22pm On Nov 25, 2010
1. Protrude somebody or something with something
Transitive and intransitive verb to push the point of something such as an outstretched finger, elbow, or a stick against somebody or something else
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by peelovee(f): 1:23pm On Nov 25, 2010
shocked English Language  cool

Poke instead of chook
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by DrDona1d(m): 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2010
pinching
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 25, 2010
Fool!^^
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by peelovee(f): 1:30pm On Nov 25, 2010
dustydee:

prick is the word

Then what is the Almighty word to replace chook?
Re: What Is The English Word For This? by ufos77: 1:39pm On Nov 25, 2010
The correct word for chook is "prick". as in , pricked by a needle;,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Beauty Vs. Brains: Most Beautiful Girl At UNILAG Rewarded With A Brand New Car, / Futminna 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread / Unilag Admission 2019/2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.