Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:20 AM

Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un (9106 Views)

Enugu To Become Africa’s Silicon Valley From Leo Stan Ekeh / Boko Haram Successfully Takes Over The 2nd Largest City In Borno / Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by reindeer: 7:30pm On Nov 25, 2010
Which census figures are they using?i see 4.5million on that map for Kano?abi dem count cows join for the last census? grin
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Amhatu(m): 9:16pm On Nov 25, 2010
Kinshasa might edge Lagos closely. cool
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Ojfat: 9:25pm On Nov 25, 2010
Infact, this is a challenge to other states, OYO STATE, Stop being a nuisance,
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Musiwa13: 9:54pm On Nov 25, 2010
Now look at cario and look at Ibadan , please compare the two.

Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Musiwa13: 9:55pm On Nov 25, 2010
Ibadan same scale

Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Musiwa13: 10:06pm On Nov 25, 2010
I think the issue is , all of your leaders in Nigeria, From jonathan , to David mark, and Bankole should get a copy of my book. 'Understaning God'.

The issue is , the United nation should blame itself if a civil war occurs in nigeria. We are all given you, there is a warning signal. Even weapon importation is a signal that Nigeria would go down.

And we need help so bad. It is hard for Jonathan to tell you the truth because he is president, he would want to cover the truth to save face, Obasanjo would not tell you the truth too because Obasanjo was the one who conducted the census figure, so he does not want to be blame for it.

But let put aside blame, and accept we have a problem.    It is obvious not anyone fault but an issue of our history,  Now how do we solve it.  To avoid a civil war. I am telling you, if the Igbo see thier own side of the satellite pictures, it would end up in a bloodly civil war, Igbo people have bad temper, ask nigerian.

So before many people see, Let look for solution. And this is why we have been pushing for a peaceful solution to save life.

Nigeria is not the united nation. Any country in the world can ask his ambassador , Arm gang invade area and rob people. There are more weapon in the hands of arm robber than even the nigeria arm. Even it is a know fact in Nigeria, the army and police normally run away from arm gang when they are doing thier own operation. In lagos alone, there are more than 200 arm group with weapon alone who rob people.

We have a problem. We need help before the election. With this pictures Nigeria would end up in a bloodly civil war, Can we all pray. From this point anything can happen.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Horus(m): 12:50am On Nov 26, 2010
Despite being one of the largest cities in Africa, Lagos is yet to have a single building over 100 metres in height.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 1:10am On Nov 26, 2010
Horus:

Despite being one of the largest cities in Africa, Lagos is yet to have a single building over 100 metres in height.

Does Lagos really need 100 metres high buildings? You are told it is about the most populated city in Africa and you want buildings 100 metres high? Is that what is needed to help ensure the population is taken care of?
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by vicenzo(m): 2:02am On Nov 26, 2010
@kobojukie.Dont you think that having taller buildings will help conserve the much needed land space in lagos and will make the city less compact.The problem though is lack of stable electricity needed for lifter.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Musiwa13: 2:07am On Nov 26, 2010
If the UN is saying kano is 4 million, if you look at Ibadan and Cairo, you know Ibadan is about 10 to 12 milllion

When they say kano is among the fastest cities, it does not mean kano is the second biggest cities in Nigeria. They are just saying, it is having more houses.

Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by asha80(m): 2:08am On Nov 26, 2010
Musiwa,:

If the UN is saying kano is 4 million, if you look at Ibadan and Cairo, you know Ibadan is about 10 to 12 milllion

When they say kano is among the fastest cities, it does not mean kano is the second biggest cities in Nigeria. They are just saying, it is having more houses.

grin
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 2:09am On Nov 26, 2010
vicenzo:

@kobojukie.Dont you think that having taller buildings will help conserve the much needed land  space in lagos and will make the city less compact.The  problem though is lack of stable electricity needed for lifter.

I am definitely for taller buildings to help save land but that is not what he was probably referring to there. More times than not, when Nigerians think of cities, they think tall SHINY buildings which I suspect that is what @Horus was getting at.

I myself believe people need to be forced to pay more in property tax or some other levy, if they choose to build less than 3 storey homes in Lagos.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by asha80(m): 2:14am On Nov 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am definitely for taller buildings to help save land but that is not what he was probably referring to there. More times than not, when Nigerians think of cities, they think tall SHINY buildings which I suspect that is what @Horus was getting at.

I myself believe people need to be forced to pay more if they choose to build less than 3 storey homes in Lagos.

They need to borrow a leaf from Onitsha grin
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Horus(m): 3:26am On Nov 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Does Lagos really need 100 metres high buildings? You are told it is about the most populated city in Africa and you want buildings 100 metres high? Is that what is needed to help ensure the population is taken care of?

Yes Lagos need 100 metres high rise building, it will save a lot of space of land.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by McCoy91(m): 6:41am On Nov 26, 2010
vicenzo:

@kobojukie.Dont you think that having taller buildings will help conserve the much needed land space in lagos and will make the city less compact.The problem though is lack of stable electricity needed for lifter.
Methinks there are many problems, both included. Lack of affordable housing for the growing influx of pipl stands high on the list
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by cynthoney(f): 6:57am On Nov 26, 2010
if anyone had told lagos state cud ever get dis clean,

well,i wud hv told d person to go kiss a python!!!

but im surprised,our able governor did it,

he cleaned and is gradually turning lagos state to a dreamland

i wudnt mind sponsoring him for d post of the president grin
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 7:05am On Nov 26, 2010
McCoy91:

Methinks there are many problems, both included. Lack of affordable housing for the growing influx of pipl stands high on the list

Honestly, considering the high cost of land in that state today, building up will go a long way in making housing more affordable and beneficial to investors.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by bababuff(m): 10:07am On Nov 26, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

you must be clever than that

is lagos an isolated island ?

it can increase land size by incoperating other areas to be part of lagos

@ZIMDRILL, you must be a joker! Have you been to Lagos?
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:31pm On Nov 26, 2010
bababuff:

@ZIMDRILL, you must be a joker! Have you been to Lagos?

no i havent but if you did geography at school you should know that every city didnt start big it started small and grow up absorbing small towns or settlement near it to became big

all you need is the other parts willing to be part of lagos

all towns outside lagos geographical area can have the will to be part of lagos they will look at advantages to be part of it economically i.e revenue etc
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:35pm On Nov 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Lagos can increase land size by incorporating other areas to be part of Lagos?? Did you think this one through?? undecided

yes i did

you should ask you if didnt think that through, if you think that it can not happen

if you did geography at school you should know that every city didnt start big it started small and grow up absorbing small towns or settlements near it to be came big

all you need is the other towns willing to be part of lagos

all towns outside lagos geographical area can have the will to be part of lagos they will look at advantages to be part of it economically i.e revenue etc
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by almoner(m): 2:49pm On Nov 26, 2010
I think Lagos is doing great. Fashola should be applauded
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Musiwa13: 3:51pm On Nov 26, 2010
Now, i want to find out, if cairo is 12, look at ogun state what do you think , Ogun state would be.

Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 5:32pm On Nov 26, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

yes i did
you should ask you if didnt think that through, if you think that it can not happen
if you did geography at school you should know that every city didnt start big it started small and grow up absorbing small towns or settlements near it to be came big
all you need is the other towns willing to be part of lagos

So now, my guess is you think there is a separate town/city called Lagos within the state called Lagos, is that the case here? You do know that Lagos refers to the STATE and not some town or city within Lagos?
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Pennywise(m): 5:36pm On Nov 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

So now, my guess is you think there is a separate town/city called Lagos within the state called Lagos, is that the case here? You do know that Lagos refers to the STATE and not some town or city within Lagos?
^^^There is a town inside Lagos state that is called Lagos. At the same time there are other towns in Lagos state that is not part of Lagos town. Hope this helps.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Nov 26, 2010
Pennywise:

^^^There is a town inside Lagos state that is called Lagos. At the same time there are other towns in Lagos state that is not part of Lagos town. Hope this helps.

Where exactly is this mystery town?
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Pennywise(m): 5:38pm On Nov 26, 2010
Epe, Badagry, Ikorodu are separate towns in Lagos state
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by tainot2002(m): 5:40pm On Nov 26, 2010
fashola has really done a great in lagos state compare to its predecessor ;d :d smiley
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 5:44pm On Nov 26, 2010
Epe, Badagry, and Ikorodu are Local Government areas within Lagos State. Lagos Island, and Lagos Mainland are also Local Government Areas in Lagos State. There is no Town or city called Lagos (especially one that has a population of 14.9 million) in Lagos State just as you have NewYork City for New York.

http://www.traxmap.com/maps/nigeria/LagosRoute/csearch.asp
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by mustafar1: 5:52pm On Nov 26, 2010
Kobojunkie, u fit to get time to teach sha. But I doubt the point u r trying to teach in this instance is/would be understood
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Pennywise(m): 5:57pm On Nov 26, 2010
must_a_far:

Kobojunkie, u fit to get time to teach sha. But I doubt the point u r trying to teach in this instance is/would be understood
Dumb.
Kobojunkie:

Epe, Badagry, and Ikorodu are Local Government areas within Lagos State. Lagos Island, and Lagos Mainland are also Local Government Areas in Lagos State. There is no Town or city called Lagos (especially one that has a population of 14.9 million) in Lagos State just as you have NewYork City for New York.

http://www.traxmap.com/maps/nigeria/LagosRoute/csearch.asp
These towns existed b4 the local govts were created and they are there till tomorrow. Your arguing from now till whenever will not change anything

Politicians can chose to create 10 local govts from Badagry or Epe it doesnt change the fact that these are towns separate historically and geographically from Lagos town

I recall while growing up being taught that Ikeja was capital of Lagos state and Lagos was capital of Nigeria. The city of Lagos has grown to assimilate separate towns like Ikeja but it is not the case with these other towns mentioned with their separate population and demographics
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 6:08pm On Nov 26, 2010
Pennywise:

These towns existed b4 the local govts were created and they are there till tomorrow. Your arguing from now till whenever will not change anything

Politicians can chose to create 10 local govts from Badagry or Epe it doesnt change the fact that these are towns separate historically and geographically from Lagos town

If you are speaking historically, then you are probably right . . . I have no idea. I know, growing up in Lagos, that I asked how come my mum used to say something like 'I am going to Lagos' when we were a) In Lagos State already and b) I did get a question asking to name 5 towns/cities in Lagos wrong because I added Lagos, as a city, to the list
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:25pm On Nov 26, 2010
guys correct me if am wrong

i dont see why UN would say lagos would the largest city in african when they mean the state

this the quote from link
In five years’ time, Lagos, the commercial centre of Nigeria, is set to overtake the Egyptian capital, Cairo, as Africa’s biggest city; the United Nations-Habitat report, has said.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ekiti University Expels Five For Molestation / Nigeria Makes Headway In Securing China’s Funding Of Projects / PDP Will Defeat Buhari Or Any APC Presidential Candidate In 2019 - Markarfi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.