Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un (9118 Views)

Enugu To Become Africa’s Silicon Valley From Leo Stan Ekeh / Boko Haram Successfully Takes Over The 2nd Largest City In Borno / Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by mustafar1: 6:28pm On Nov 26, 2010
Typical of NLers. Name calling is ur defence against anything.
The lagos being referred to in the report is the whole state. What we used to call lagos was mainly lagos island but that has gradually shifted to include most parts of it now. Yes you can argue it doesn't include places like ikorodu, epe, badagry etc that might be due to its distance from everything else but for what the article is about (I.e. population) it is referring to the total population of lagos including those areas u want cajoled to be included for expansion purposes.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:44pm On Nov 26, 2010
must_a_far:

Typical of NLers. Name calling is your defence against anything.
The lagos being referred to in the report is the whole state. What we used to call lagos was mainly lagos island but that has gradually shifted to include most parts of it now. Yes you can argue it doesn't include places like ikorodu, epe, badagry etc that might be due to its distance from everything else but for what the article is about (I.e. population) it is referring to the total population of lagos including those areas u want cajoled to be included for expansion purposes.

it aint the state from what is written it clearly says city

there is the quote

In five years’ time, Lagos, the commercial centre of Nigeria, is set to overtake the Egyptian capital, Cairo, as Africa’s biggest city; the United Nations-Habitat report, has said.

According to the report, it is estimated that by 2015, Lagos will have 12.4 million inhabitants.

The reported added that the number of people living in African cities would triple over the next 40 years and by 2050, 60 per cent of Africans would be city dwellers.

the report went to talk of cities not state/province/county

unless the report to meant to talk of lagos a state but they went on to talk of as city only
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 7:01pm On Nov 26, 2010
Most references made of a Lagos City is usually to Lagos, the State.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:11pm On Nov 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Most references made of a Lagos City is usually to Lagos, the State.

is that it ?

then they should learn to separate the two to avoid confusion and for a point not to be lost between lagos city or lagos state
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Musiwa13: 7:47pm On Nov 26, 2010
It is a joy, to see that after my many month of fighting over the issue, even the united nation is on my side. And to all who choice to be my enermy during this period. and put down all insult and attack on me and my character. I hold nothing against you.

It is not an issue of ethnicity. It is not an issue of one ethnics group over the other. But my main concern was for the safety of all of your lifes. Either you are igbo, hausa, kanuri ,yoruba or bashama etc.

Now since you have heard from the united nation nation, what is our next step. What do we do as a nation.

And what does the future hold for the north at this point. I would be back to show you some of my plan for the north. i am busy today.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by 14(m): 12:10am On Nov 27, 2010
Why do people get excited when the City is getting over populated. over populated leads to disaster. Cairo is bigger because the other part of the country is just desert.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by asha80(m): 12:32am On Nov 27, 2010
1,2:

Why do people get excited when the City is getting over populated. over populated leads to disaster. Cairo is bigger because the other part of the country is just desert.

In nigeria the more populated the city the more the 'bragging rights'.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Musiwa13: 2:27am On Nov 27, 2010
To be honest with you, i do not agree with the united nation figures, I believe lagos is more than 15 million.

I have lived in lagos. And if the United nation can count the number of house in the satellite picture of lagos. The would discovered there are over 1 ,000,000 houses in lagos. this are my estimate.

And ask any nigerian what is the average people that live in a house in nigeria.  It is more than 15 people per house, the way they build houses in nigeria.
If you have 1,000,000 houses in lagos. It means if you multiple by 15 million. It give you 15 million already. So you do not need to wait till 2020 to get 15, 000,000 living in lagos. There are already over 15 million people living in lagos.  by 2008 from satellite picture. There are over 1,000,000 in lagos from satellite pictures. 15 million is based on a wrong assumption that every house in lagos has 15 people.

there are very few houses in Nigeria with population of less than 10. it is hard for you to find.

Even among the rich in Nigeria. the more money you have, the more wife you have in nigeria.
Look if I am as rich as tiger wood. As a nigerian, it means I would have like 10 wives.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by marketeasy: 1:46pm On Nov 27, 2010
thats good to know
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 27, 2010
@Topic,Inhabitants?
Abeg,come wey Aba problem dey grin grin grin
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 10:40pm On Nov 27, 2010
I don't understand why some people are confused, the report says city not state as ZIM DRILL said. Lagos is a city comprising many smaller cities, Lagos Island, Victoria Island, Ikoyi, Yaba, Ebute Meta, Ikeja e.t.c. are all cities in their own right but put together make Lagos City which the report refers to. Epe, Badagry e.t.c. are not part of this city and are even sparsely populated.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 10:41pm On Nov 27, 2010
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by poweredcom(m): 10:44pm On Nov 27, 2010
grin Lagos ooo men d crime rate gonna increase and accomodation is a problem in Lagos.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 10:54pm On Nov 27, 2010
Kobojunkie:

^^^^ roflmao!!!

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/index.php?page=subpage&spid=12&mnu=null

ROFLMAO to you too. Your link counters your argument, If the report was referring to the state then Lagos is already the biggest "City" in Africa with a population of 17,552,942 (17.6 million).
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 10:57pm On Nov 27, 2010
I am not certain how you got it to counter what has been said by me and some others on here. The link clearly shows you that the Lagos island, Lagos mainland and some of the places you mention can be considered Lagos city do not hold 1/10th of the population indicated unless you consider most all of Lagos to get that number. Also, it clearly shows that there is no such place actually labelled Lagos city, in the state of Lagos.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 11:14pm On Nov 27, 2010
[Quote]The link clearly shows you that the Lagos island, Lagos mainland and some of the places you mention can be considered Lagos city do not hold 1/10th of the population[/quote]

Didn't you see the "e.t.c." I ended my list with.

Your argument is that there is no city called Lagos City therefore the figure given by the UN represents the entire population of the State of Lagos. But, the population of the entire state today (17.6 million) is above the projected population of this Lagos City in 2015 (12.4 million). It simply means that not all part of Lagos State are included in this Lagos City.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 11:22pm On Nov 27, 2010
Let's consider what we know

a) There is no city in Lagos State called Lagos city

b) There is no town/area in Lagos state that currently has a population of 12.9 million people

c) Lagos state population, according to the State's website is over 17million

Is the UN report accurate even though the state has no record of any actual places called Lagos city with a population of 12.9 million? Or is the state incorrect in not listing a place in there on it's own map of the state called Lagos city with a recorded population of 12.9 million? Or are we going to randomly pick together a list of LGAS and then conclude that should be labelled Lagos city since it probably has a population close to the UN number? Or it is possible this is an outdated report?
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 11:30pm On Nov 27, 2010
There is a place called Lagos City, Agege is Lagos City, Ajeromi-Ifelodun is Lagos City, Alimosho is Lagos City, Amuwo Odofin is Lagos City, Apapa is Lagos City, Eti-Osa is Lagos City, Lagos-Island is Lagos City, and so on , put together they will have a population of 12.4 million people in 2015. Badagry is not Lagos City, Ikorodu is not Lagos City. Simple.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 11:33pm On Nov 27, 2010
roflmao!!! ^^^^^

Your list there is almost 5 million short. You sure you do not want to pick some more places to add so you can get that UN number?
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 11:39pm On Nov 27, 2010
^^^^^^^^
I guess you know more than the UN. I am not continuing with this argument.

[Quote]Your list there is almost 5 million short. You sure you do not want to pick some more places to add so you can get that UN number?[/quote]

I guess you didn't see the "and so on" too.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 11:42pm On Nov 27, 2010
OH! Now I am the one that knows more than the UN? No be you dey claim say you know more than the State by labeling arbitrary areas 'LAGOS CITY'? lol

Yes, and so on is 5 million . , lol
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 11:54pm On Nov 27, 2010
The UN say there is a Lagos City you say there is no place like that. What conclusion do you want me to come to.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 12:00am On Nov 28, 2010
Again,

Kobojunkie:

Let's consider what we know

a) There is no city in Lagos State called Lagos city ACCORDING TO THE STATE'S OWN MAP AND SITE

b) There is no town/area in Lagos state that currently has a population of 12.9 million people

c) Lagos state population, according to the State's website is over 17million

Is the UN report accurate even though the state has no record of any actual places called Lagos city with a population of 12.9 million?

Or is the state incorrect in not listing a place in there on it's own map of the state called Lagos city with a recorded population of 12.9 million?

Or are we going to randomly pick together a list of LGAS and then conclude that should be labelled Lagos city since it probably has a population close to the UN number? Or it is possible this is an outdated report?

If you MUST make the UN number and language work by hook or crook, fine by me.

Here is an excerpt from the state's own website

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/index.php?page=subpage&spid=12&mnu=null

Although Lagos state is the smallest state in Nigeria, with an area of 356,861 hectares of which 75,755 hectares are wetlands, yet it has the highest population, which is over five per cent of the national estimate.

[size=13pt]The state has a population of 17 million out of a national estimate of 150 million. The UN estimates that at its present growth rate, Lagos state will be third largest mega city the world by Y2015 after Tokyo in Japan an Bombay in India.[/size]   
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Uzzyan: 12:01am On Nov 28, 2010
screw everone that is speaking bad of lagos.
Now lets be truthful and sincere to ourselves before Fashola came into power, what was lagos?
U say no light, no road like its the wrk of d state government Most state roads av bin reconstructed and are helping commuters big time!!
The Nigerian syndrome can only be resolved by those on top ie in the helm of affairs in the federal level.
Gov. Babatunde Raji Fashola is a great man who has a vision for his people!!!
This should be taken without sentiments, i rest my case!!
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 12:06am On Nov 28, 2010
[Quote]Metropolitan Lagos (a statistical division, and not an administrative unit) extends over 16 of the 20 LGAs of Lagos State, and contains 88% of the population of Lagos State, and includes semi-rural areas. Lagos City has a considerable amount of high rise buildings which makes up its skyline. Most of the tall buildings are located in around the downtown Central Business District.[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos

I hope this makes it clear. Replace "Metropolitan Lagos" with "Lagos City".
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 12:10am On Nov 28, 2010
Please, go to the states own website to learn more of Lagos rather than playing WORD GAMES and PICK-CHOOSE in this. You are not addressing an illiterate here.

Also, note how Wiki DOES NOT tell you that the metro alone makes up the city. May I suggest you read up on entries on other cities eg. Chicago, New York, to understand how a city is made up of both the metro and surburbs.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 12:15am On Nov 28, 2010
You have a problem with Wikipedia or what?
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 12:19am On Nov 28, 2010
I have no problem with wiki -- I do have a problem with using wiki to support a moot point. Wiki does not in anyway claim that this "Lagos city" is made of just the places you term the metropolitan areas of Lagos.

Take a look at this wiki entry on Chicago
Chicago (/ʃɨˈkɑːɡoʊ/  ( listen) or /ʃɨˈkɔːɡoʊ/) is the largest city in the state of Illinois. With over 2.8 million residents, it is the most populous city in the Midwestern United States and the third most populous city in the country. Its metropolitan area, commonly named "Chicagoland," is the 26th most populous[3] in the world, home to an estimated 9.7 million people spread across the U.S. states of Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana.[4][5] Chicago is the county seat of Cook County.

Note how you are not told that Chicago City consists only of the metropolitan area?

Also, if Wiki tells you that the Metro Area holds over 88% of the States, population, what does that then tell you? Your math is still very wrong. That would mean your defined city there has about 15.5 million people, which is quite more than what the UN claims.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by GAR3TH(m): 12:20am On Nov 28, 2010
Lagos state has 20 Local government areas and of those 20, lagos (city) is made up of 16 LGA. so yes there is a lagos city in lagos state. just like new york city has 5 boroughs/counties/LGA or what ever you want to call it that makes up NYC.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 12:24am On Nov 28, 2010
[Quote]Its metropolitan area, commonly named "Chicagoland," is the 26th most populous in the world[/quote]

Lagos City (metropolitan Lagos) is the second most populous city in Africa. Simple.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 12:25am On Nov 28, 2010
zoraro:

Lagos City (metropolitan Lagos) is the second most populous city in Africa. Simple.
WOW

Note how you are not told that Chicago City consists only of the metropolitan area?

Also, if Wiki tells you that the Metro Area holds over 88% of the States, population, what does that then tell you? Your math is still very wrong. That would mean your defined city there has  about[b] 15.5 million people[/b], which is quite more than what the UN claims.

By the way, what do you have against the state's own website admitting that Lagos State is Lagos city?

The state has a population of 17 million out of a national estimate of 150 million. The UN estimates that at its present growth rate, [b][size=13pt] Lagos state will be third largest mega city the world [/size][/b]by Y2015 after Tokyo in Japan an Bombay in India.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by GAR3TH(m): 12:29am On Nov 28, 2010
By the way, what do you have against the state's own website admitting that Lagos State is Lagos city?

KOBO there is no such think as "New York City". . .NYC is a combination of LGA/Boroughs. Brooklyn, queens, The Bronx, staten island, and manhattan makes up the city called New York City. none of them are called new york city, but toghether they make New york city. the same way the 16 of the 20 LGA's of lagos state makes up Lagos(city). none of them are called lagos, but together the make up Lagos(city).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan May Run For African Union Chairperson / Scatec Solar Secures 100 MW Solar Project In Nigeria. / INEC Begins Testing Of Card Readers Ahead Of Elections (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.