Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,460 members, 7,770,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:41 AM

Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem (6274 Views)

Poll: Will this bill/law help the average Nigerian?

Yes, it'll help foster unity and patroitism among Nigerians.: 29% (10 votes)
Nay, it is just another corrupt scheme to callously spend the taxpayers money.: 70% (24 votes)
This poll has ended

Senate Moves To Amend CCB, Administration Of Criminal Justice / Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods / BREAKING: Senate Moves To Disqualify Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Phate07(m): 5:08pm On Nov 26, 2010

Strolling while the Nigeria’s
National Anthem is being recited may soon be punishable by law, as the Senate on Thursday passed its bill through second reading.

The advancement of the bill is a significant step in standardising its rendition as well as protecting the National Anthem, which most of the senators agree is currently exposed to risk of annihilation.

The bill is sponsored by Osita
Izunaso PDP from Imo state who also sponsored the bill to mandate doctors to treat
accident victims without police reports.

“Our National Anthem if not
backed by law, might be rightly jettisoned into the historical dustbin if any President feels he does not like it,’’ Mr. Izunaso said.

The bill seeks, among other
things, to give a legal framework to the National Anthem and gives
protection to it against
unwarranted tampering and
abuse.The bill is to make the
playing of the Nigerian Anthem a revered, respectful and solemn occasion and prescribes penalties for anyone who deliberately brings contempt and ridicule to the act.

He lamented that the national anthem which “encapsulates our collective pride and patriotism, is not backed up with any legal instrument.”
www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5646687-147/senate_moves_to__criminalise_disrespect.csp
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Osama10(m): 7:37pm On Nov 26, 2010
These people are really jobless and of what relevance is this to us as a nation?

What progress do we achieve by this?

What about disrespect for the position as a senator?
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Bawss1(m): 7:45pm On Nov 26, 2010
Na wa o
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by stagger: 7:49pm On Nov 26, 2010
This rule has always been in place in military establishments where everyone (AND I MEAN EVERY HUMAN) is expected to stand still when the flags are being lowered or the anthem is being sung.

Nothing new.
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by twinskenny(m): 7:50pm On Nov 26, 2010
jobless useless people
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Osama10(m): 7:50pm On Nov 26, 2010
He lamented that the national anthem which “encapsulates our collective pride and patriotism, is not backed up with any legal instrument.”

See these thieves talking about patriotism, how do they show theirs if I may ask? By allocating millions of naira to themselves monthly.
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by donobi(m): 8:06pm On Nov 26, 2010
very jobless senator.
he should be recall.
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Aderupoko2: 8:07pm On Nov 26, 2010
These guys are so jobless and so disconnected from the people.He needs to be flogged for thinking wrongly and recalled for talking it out.I hiss in pidgin angry angry angry
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Emperoh(m): 8:12pm On Nov 26, 2010
How many of them can sing it individually?
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by NnamdiN: 8:22pm On Nov 26, 2010
I pledge to 9ja "my" country

To be faithful, loyal and honest

To serve 9ja is not by force,
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by buzugee(m): 8:32pm On Nov 26, 2010

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by buzugee(m): 8:35pm On Nov 26, 2010

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by IRAPADA(m): 8:36pm On Nov 26, 2010
It mean if u are crossing highway and someone start singing national athem u wil ve to stand stil on that highway
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Osama10(m): 8:39pm On Nov 26, 2010
These people are not just in touch with the reality on ground.
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by spearman(m): 8:40pm On Nov 26, 2010
Legislators should be a part time job. They should be seated no more than 90 days a year. The more they meet the bigger the damages done to the Nation. Greeks and Romans were part time lawmakers and so are the American large states like Texas and Michigan with California to follow soon.
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Tolulop001(f): 8:40pm On Nov 26, 2010
IRAPADA:

It mean if u are crossing highway and someone start singing national athem u wil ve to stand stil on that highway

LMAO! grin grin grin
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Harus(m): 8:55pm On Nov 26, 2010
Oh God! Wen did national anthem become a problem?

While we have numerous unsolved national problems (Electricity, Water, Housing, Jobs, Education, health centres, Roads, Corruption, e.t.c) a stupid first class fool sees non of these pressing problems but Nationa Antthem. angry

Legislators are disgrace to this nation.
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Osama10(m): 8:59pm On Nov 26, 2010
Harus:

Oh God! Wen did national anthem become a problem?

While we have numerous unsolved national problems (Electricity, Water, Housing, Jobs, Education, health centres, Roads, Corruption, e.t.c) a silly first class fool sees non of these pressing problems but Nationa Antthem. angry

You can say that a trillion times, we are in a mess in this country.
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Kilode1: 9:03pm On Nov 26, 2010
IRAPADA:

LOL

I can't fathom the thought process that led this idi.ot Osita to think it's sensible to pass a bill supporting human dignity( gunshot treatment) and in the same breath argue for a law to limit that same liberty and dignity.

So if I feel like taking a shytte while some yeye person is singing the National Anthem, I must stand, endure or poo for bodi?

Why are we so blessed with fools?
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by amurx(m): 9:16pm On Nov 26, 2010
dey will not talk bout elect,edu all do is just spend tym on things of no importance
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Nobody: 9:19pm On Nov 26, 2010
IRAPADA:

genius!
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by udezue(m): 9:29pm On Nov 26, 2010
Osita should be penalized for being such a m.oron. Lol
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by SapeleGuy: 9:32pm On Nov 26, 2010
Now this is funny, 'I dey laugh'
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Princek12(m): 9:41pm On Nov 26, 2010
our senators are fools. out of all the problems that fraught our country, this idiotic senator is seeking to protect a National Anthem from abuse. Does he know that citizens should have a right to ridicule the National Anthem if they so desire, if it is meant to protest government ineptitude?
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by seyibrown(f): 9:42pm On Nov 26, 2010
Of all our problems  . . .  grin How about making it a crime to do anything that is against the spirit of the anthem? Misappropriation of public funds will fall under that categorisation. grin
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by DoubleN(m): 9:53pm On Nov 26, 2010
The funny thing is that most of these misanthropes don't even know the bloody anthem! Watch them during their 'sittings' and you will understand what i am saying.
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by dinggle: 9:55pm On Nov 26, 2010
Dora recently said our problem was the "Naija", Senate is saying it is the "National Anthem" do u guys see a pattern here?

Lets look into the senate's case, 
A country's National Anthem is suppose to be the pride of its people, because they have faith in it and the country does not fail them!
How many of us can truly say we are not disappointed in Nigeria??

Respecting the National Anthem means being completely patriotic, it means acting according to it, not just standing still "fools senators"
It means letting words float deep inside you.

The leaders of our great country are those disrespecting the national anthem.

Anthem, (To serve our fatherland with love and strength and FAITH)
How many of our leaders can faithfully say they r serving the Nigeria people? when they loot, and cheat they system to the
detriment of others working hard and believing in the system trying to hold on to their "Nigerian Dream".

Anthem, (One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity)
Where is the peace & unity? when the police cant provide security, rather they shoot innocent the people for =N=20.00.

Where is the peace when there r continue religious crises around us?, where is the sense of security
when most the people who cause us harm freely work into our country with out papers or even reasons to be here.

If the law is put in place and fully observe by a neutral body, the leaders wud be the ones facing charges of disrespect to the national anthem daily.

Arise, O compatriots, Nigeria's call obey
To serve our fatherland
With love and strength and faith
The labor of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and
unity.
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by apoti(m): 10:07pm On Nov 26, 2010
U guys stop this post now, because I'm actually singing the national anthem, or else, grin
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by Harus(m): 10:19pm On Nov 26, 2010
@ APOTI: U are first to be punished coz u were typing while reciting d national anthem. grin grin grin grin

Senator OSITA, take note. grin grin
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by juman(m): 10:30pm On Nov 26, 2010
Osama10:
we are in a mess in this country.

The amount of money the nation is spending on the national assembly members are not sustainable, even in any country of the world.
This kind of news reduces patrotism of the citizens. This shows that you people are not in touch with the reality on ground.
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by IchieEzeji: 11:55pm On Nov 26, 2010
So, Senator Izunaso would want to be remembered for sponsoring this bill? I dey laugh, if i may adopt OBJ's words. Tell me, in what way will this bill move Nigeria forward, improve the impoverished lives of poor Nigerians; awaken our governments to their responsibilities; provide basic amenities for Nigerians; slash the unmerited, undeserved and fraudulent salaries/allowances being enjoyed by our legislaTHIEVES? There are so many bills the passage of which will affect governance and the daily lives of average Nigerians, but nobody is attending to them. May God redeem Nigeria from LEGISLATIVE TYRANNY.
Re: Senate Moves To Penalise Disrespect Of The National Anthem by ladi02(m): 12:15am On Nov 27, 2010
These guys dont cease to amaze me, they look for the most insignificant issue to deliberate upon, while the major issue are neglected and Nigerians are suffering.

I can bet that Senator that sponsored the bill is PDP, jobless goats!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Imagine If An Igbo Man Said This About Yorubas / Nnamdi Kanu Replies Arewa Youths And Threatened To Dry All The Oil In Nigeria / I Just Received A Call From UN On Military Invasion Of Abia - Moses Siasia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.