Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,208 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:42 AM

Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria (10749 Views)

Senate Plans Law Making Electronic Transmission Of Results Mandatory / Hon. Idu Igariwey's Law-making Score-card In The 8th National Assembly. / Ekiti Election: We Stopped Rally To Prevent Breakdown Of Law And Order- DIG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Bscholarly: 4:49pm On Dec 13, 2019
In this article i will extensively explain the the process of passing a bill into law in Nigeria. If you have been stuffing the internet to know how laws are made in Nigeria, this is the right post for you to read. I enjoin you to read painstakingly as I will carefully explain every stage.

After conducting a lot of keyword research and opinion pulls on the street last week, I found that many Nigeria's do not know how laws are made in the country. A man ignorantly told me that it is even the president that is responsible for all the harsh local and federal laws in Nigeria.

This is not really good as a citizen of Nigeria. I mean, the procedure for making laws in Nigeria is something every Nigerian should know. It doesn't matter whether you attended formal education or not. It is incumbent on you to know the process of law making in your country.

Well, knowing fully well that many citizens don't really know the process of law making in Nigeria, i thought it wise to make a comprehensive article, explaining the different stages in the process of law making in Nigeria. In other words, i will be teaching you the stages of law making in Nigeria today. But before, going into the crux of this article, i would like to define some terms that will help you understand when i start to explain them.

What is a bill?

Wikipedia postulates that a bill is proposed legislation under consideration by a legislature. It does not become law until it is passed by the legislature and, in most cases, approved by the executive. Once a bill has been enacted into law, it is called an act of the legislature, or a statute.

In short and simple English, a bill is a proposed law to be discussed in the parliament in order to become law. There are basically two types of bills viz: public bills and the private bills.

Public bills may be initiated by a Minister, in which case they are referred to as “government bills”. They may also be initiated by private Members, in which case they are called “private Members’ bills”. On the other hand, the purpose of a private bill is to exempt a person or group of persons, including a corporate person, from the application of a statute.

Stages for passing a bill into law in Nigeria

Below are the stages in the process of law making in Nigeria:

First reading:

At this stage, the draft of the bill is presented to the clerk of the house. It will be printed in leaflet and circulated to all members. Members of the parliament will be notified about the presence of such bill by the clerk and the date for second reading will be fixed.

Second reading:

Apparently, this is the second stage in the process of law making in Nigeria. At this stage, the person that introduced the bill to the house will explain the purpose of the bill to the house. Members will then debate on the bill, whether to be read second time or not. If voted in favour, the bill will move to the next stage. It should be noted however, that amendment is not entertained at this stage.

Committee stage:

This the the third and very important stage in the passing of bills into law in Nigeria. Here, the bill is referred to the a committee. It can be a committee of the whole house or standing committee depending on the importance of the bill. Amendment is made to the bill at this stage and then, it will be moved to the next stage.

Report stage:

The report stage will immediately follow the committee stage. Here, the findings of the committee will be reported to the house after all the amendments have been made. Conversely, the amended form of the bill will be read by the Chairman of the committee on that day.

Third reading:

This is the final stage of the bill with the parliament and a thorough attention is given to the bill in order to correct all error with draft. Now, a final vote is also given to the bill and if the house agrees, it will move to the last stage. This house will also make sure that passing such bill will not bring about an obnoxious law into the Nigerian legal system.

Assent:

A duly passed bill by the house will now be sent to the president for his assent. When the president assents to the bill, it will automatically become a law and it will be binding on every citizen of Nigeria.

It should be noted however, that where the president fails to give his assent within 30 days, the parliament can automatically make that bill a law if it is passed in the same form it was sent to the President by two-third majority vote in both Chambers (sanate and representatives).

Conclusion:

Yeah! That is all I have on the process of passing a bill into law in Nigeria. It is very pivotal that you know these stages as a citizen of Nigeria. Even if you are not a student or a scholar, this is one of the primary things every Nigerian should know.

Hope this article was helpful? Well, if you still have questions or contributions to make, you can send them via the comment box below. I will be glad to here from you!

By: Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Damidave1124(m): 6:30am On Dec 14, 2019
Short and concise....

2 Likes

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by hernandson(m): 6:31am On Dec 14, 2019
K
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by itzprezy(m): 6:32am On Dec 14, 2019
When will they make law to legalise Yahoo

Pls don't come for my head..itz too early
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:32am On Dec 14, 2019
OK
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by bazemirie(m): 6:33am On Dec 14, 2019
undecided
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Tundetune(m): 6:34am On Dec 14, 2019
Theres no more law in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by ITbomb(m): 6:34am On Dec 14, 2019
Maj Gen Buhari doesn't care.

If he sees that the bill will not be entertained, he uses Executive Orders

He feels his bills has to be passed by the parliament without any amendment, any amendment is tagged Padding

When he sees that his dictatorial tendencies is being curtailed by the legislature, he plots and install his rubber stamp parliament

If he knows that an appointment will not be confirmed, he appoints an indefinite Acting

7 Likes

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Justdare: 6:34am On Dec 14, 2019
Stuffing the internet bawo!!!!!!!

Opinion pulls ke ??

correct these errors, make your writeup a lil' more interesting to read

1 Like

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Ladycewhy(f): 6:35am On Dec 14, 2019
Educative.
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by MusaDanladi1: 6:35am On Dec 14, 2019
My friend kindly rewrite this your article, we aren't in Britain or Ghana. Substitute where necessary the words House of Representatives and Senate and final endorsement by the presidency before it becomes law. That's for those bills that need the president's signature. We practice the American system of governance.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 14, 2019
We all know this
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by mcbliss: 6:37am On Dec 14, 2019
Insightful! Cool way to start the morning
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by majormofor(m): 6:37am On Dec 14, 2019
Bscholarly:

By: Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka
Nice.. Thanks for this...
How abt where the bill is presented to Nigerians in form of a gathering. Can't remember what it's called nw. I think it was missed
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by CTechHub(m): 6:38am On Dec 14, 2019
Not in Nigeria anymore.

Wait, have you seen my signature, yet?
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by dalongjnr: 6:40am On Dec 14, 2019
You are right.
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Mcuzy(m): 6:40am On Dec 14, 2019
Op u forgot to mention that if Ahmed passes a bill in the before the third reading he will go and visit Amaechi and shake his leg .even in the senate house once john wants to raise his hand Ahmad will kick him and say one million support , lapu will kick John and say two million don't support until the highest bidder wins

1 Like

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by davillian(m): 6:42am On Dec 14, 2019
Ok
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:42am On Dec 14, 2019
The best legacy Buhari can leave behind in the fight against corruption is to put a machinery in place that will see to it that the death penalty for corrupt public officials is passed into law.

One way to ensure it gets support is to let everyone know that the law, when passed into law, won't be retroactive. That is, it will only apply to corrupt crimes committed from the day the bill is signed into law.

This is the best time to get this done because Buhari enjoys the support of the legislature this time, so I see no stumbling block.

If Buhari refuses to take the initiative, we as citizens can take it. Let's organise ourselves, raise funds, find and sponsor the bill through a willing legislator and put pressure on all elected legislators from our different localities to ensure this comes into law..

Let us organise ourselves. We youths are too disorganized and divided that's why we can't achieve anything other than making noise on sm and expecting the government to act.

If we organise ourselves we can pull this off. I'm ready to join the movement to see that this becomes a reality.

Like and share this post if you support the idea.

I'll contact all those who quote and share the post so we can plan how to get this done.

Thanks all.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by ITbomb(m): 6:42am On Dec 14, 2019
majormofor:

How abt where the bill is presented to Nigerians in form of a gathering. Can't remember what it's called nw. I think it was missed
Public Hearing,
It's in Committee level

2 Likes

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by MrSix: 6:43am On Dec 14, 2019
Laptops available for sale in Abuja and Lagos

Pay on delivery in both locations.

Check my signature for contact details
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by mujibson(m): 6:45am On Dec 14, 2019
Only if Nigeria is a lawful country ......
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Davinity: 6:55am On Dec 14, 2019
majormofor:

Public hearing you mean?

1 Like

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Homers123(m): 6:59am On Dec 14, 2019
itzprezy:
When will they make law to legalise Yahoo

Pls don't come for my head..itz too early
We never rotten reach that level. Make dem legalize Weed first.
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by amaks: 7:04am On Dec 14, 2019
Good info. Interesting, Educative. People should try to get more politically enlightended. And with stuffs like this, or ideologies, and holding leaders accountable based on their policies, manifesto and constituted responsibilities, not only always talk and arguments about who looted more, who fought and liked and is more dangerous, or insults and eye service, or tribalistic prejudices,..
Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by chrisxxx(m): 7:12am On Dec 14, 2019
Thanks bro. I have learnt a new thing today.
Not useless story of Tacha and BBNaija or even Reginal Daniel and Nwoko.

1 Like

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 14, 2019
How many votes are needed for the bill to become law? A simple majority?

1 Like

Re: Stages In The Process Of Law Making In Nigeria by money121(m): 7:19am On Dec 14, 2019
Naija

(1) (2) (Reply)

FEC Approves ₦13.08 Trillion 2021 Budget / Science And Technology – The Key To Nigeria’s Transformation Speech By Dr. Ngozi / President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.