Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,069 members, 7,807,204 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? (14783 Views)

Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing / Pastor E.A Adeboye Reacts To Daddy Freeze's Comments On Tithes (VIDEO) / Church Members Walk Out On Pastor Adefarasin Over Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 14, 2019
IS TITHING NOW A BAD THING BECAUSE MEN ABUSE TITHES?

No! Because tithing wasn't a bad thing to Jesus.

For Jesus said:

Matthew 23:23 (KJV)

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

So this saying clearly shows that Jesus the Master Himself wasn't against tithing, but what He was against was the tendency of the Pharisees to omit or sideline the majors of the Law such as judgment, mercy, and faith because of a minor matter as tithing.

So that is exactly where I also stand on the tithing matter, that it never get emphasized to the point where it begins to take preeminence over the most important things, because that would inevitably lead to abuse of tithes, amongst other corrupt practices, which the majors are meant to prevent.

Therefore I'm not against tithing as some here may have wrongly assumed, because as a matter of fact I believe that tithing works, and I have some personal experiences while I still tithed and preached tithing to back that claim.

Tithing somehow seemed to be the first revelation from my own study of the Bible, after I first repented and began my walk with God. I was so convinced about it to the extent that I couldn't keep it to myself but had to preach it to someone then, and that person was my mum. And my preaching was appeared convincing enough for her to give it a shot. And it worked for her as afterwards she kept telling me that ever since she started tithing, that she noticed that her purse never dried up. So the idea of tithing really proved itself to her that up til date about twenty years later, she doesn't still joke with her tithes.

Another experience associated with tithes, was one testimony I already shared here when I still used to tithe many years ago, but at the time it was sixty percent I gave as tithes not ten. My tithe was at the side pocket of my traveling bag, when some armed robbers invaded the room I was with five other guys. At the end, everyone in the room was robbed of some money and valuables, except for me for nothing belonging to me was lost or taken from me, even though the side pocket I kept the tithes was the most exposed thing in the wardrobe that the robbers took most things from.

The full story can be gotten here:

https://www.nairaland.com/5478528/one-important-lesson-church-members

So I do really believe that tithing works, however I don't believe that tithing (ten percent) ought to be the standard of the church, which I believe ought to operate at the standard of the kingdom of God which is a hundred percent as was illustrated on this occasion:

Acts 4:32, 34-35 (KJV)

32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Hence it could observed that giving in the church that Jesus built wasn't at the level of tithes (ten percent), but a hundred percent which is the standard of the kingdom of God. And this was why Jesus had taken His time to acknowledge that poor widow who gave her everything before His disciples, because that was the standard of the kingdom of God.

Mark 12:43-44 (KJV)

43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

So a hundred percent ought to be the standard of the church as it was in the beginning of the church when they had already given a hundred percent of themselves to God, so that meant everything they possessed already belonged to God, hence no one considering what he possessed as his own. But considering that the standard of the church has crashed and is now a far cry from what it used to be at the time when it was a hundred percent, does that now mean that those who are not able to give God a hundred percent, should not give Him anything?

That's where tithes (ten percent) comes in, at least that's better than giving God zero percent.

So that men abuse tithes, doesn't mean that we should altogether throw away the idea of tithing, because it is still very useful and plays an important role for God's work here on Earth. It has also shown itself to be very useful in provide for the poor and needy when not abused but well managed.

Therefore instead of doing away with tithing, i suggest we all put our hands on deck to ensure that church leaders and those in authority are held accountable for the tithes they receive, so that the mismanagement and abuse of tithes would be brought down to the bearest minimum if not completely eradicated, while we hope and pray for the day that God would give us the kind of church that would give him the hundred percent that He deserves, and also the kind of leaders that wouldn't abuse it but would use it to God's glory and to the benefit of everyone in the church as it was in those days.

NEITHER WAS THERE ANY AMONG THEM THAT LACKED: FOR AS MANY AS WERE POSSESSORS OF LANDS OR HOUSES SOLD THEM, AND BROUGHT THE PRICES OF THE THINGS THAT WERE SOLD,
AND LAID THEM DOWN AT THE APOSTLES' FEET: AND DISTRIBUTION WAS MADE UNTO EVERY MAN ACCORDING AS HE HAD NEED.
{Acts 4:34-35 (KJV) }

God bless.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by kimco(m): 9:27pm On Dec 14, 2019
If tithing was used to make the populace's life much better, rather than the churches only. If the tithe is used to empower the people instead of to financially constrict them promising them a better future while the church gets fat today...yeah why not.

It is only a wicked man who is unwilling to give back to the church after they have helped him gain his feet. But when the church hasn't done jack for anyone yet demand that much...terribly unfair. Dont quote biblical jibi jaba to me...you know deep down Im right.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 14, 2019
kimco:
If tithing was used to make the populace's life much better, rather than the churches only. If the tithe is used to empower the people instead of to financially constrict them promising them a better future while the church gets fat today...yeah why not.

It is only a wicked man who is unwilling to give back to the church after they have helped him gain his feet. But when the church hasn't done jack for anyone yet demand that much...terribly unfair. Dont quote biblical jibi jaba to me...you know deep down Im right.
You sound like you agree with this example:

Acts 4:34-35 (KJV)

34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Pauldollars(m): 10:32pm On Dec 14, 2019
One of your duties as a Christian is to make sure you always give your tithes and God will bless you abundantly (Read Malachi 3:10) How the money is being used by the Church should not be your concern. BTW it is good that you give your tithes in the church that spiritually nourishes you...not just any random Penterascal church which have no business propagating the gospel of Jesus Christ.

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by OkCornel(m): 11:00pm On Dec 14, 2019
Pauldollars:
One of your duties as a Christian is to make sure you always give your tithes and God will bless you abundantly (Read Malachi 3:10) How the money is being used by the Church should not be your concern. BTW it is good that you give your tithes in the church that spiritually nourishes you...not just any random Penterascal church which have no business propagating the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I only know of spirit led freewill giving (from a cheerful heart) not pegged at any particular percentage of one's earnings as the basis for giving under the new covenant.

2 Corinthians 9 v 7;
7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Acts 4 v 34-35;

That being said, I'm still awaiting
1) Scriptural examples of gentile believers that tithed in the new covenant
2) I'm awaiting where God changed the standard of tithing from agro-produce as clearly stated in Deuteronomy 14 v 22-29, into money the wolves in shepherd's clothing are currently soliciting for.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by OkCornel(m): 11:02pm On Dec 14, 2019
Jesusjnr, how did I end up here? Lol, thought I was on another thread handling some mammonic peddlers of false doctrines...

https://www.nairaland.com/5578996/indian-pastor-backs-pastor-adeboye/1#84910750
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by kimco(m): 11:09pm On Dec 14, 2019
jesusjnr:
You sound like you agree with this example:

Acts 4:34-35 (KJV)

I don't agree with the bible quote, i simply know what is right. Do you know why i say so? Because its the same bible people use to convince people to pay tithes so they get fat while the people remain poor yet these people defend paying money to these crooks and say to themselves "its between them and God, i have done my bit" forgetting they are reinforcing the bad behaviour. So no, i don't agree with the bible, i know what is right. Yes i know its confusing to say that but if i agree with the quote, i'd have to agree with any other as well. I don't think so.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by kimco(m): 11:20pm On Dec 14, 2019
Pauldollars:

Rubbish, simply Rubbish.

Let's say you found out that the money you give the church is used in dealing in guns and drugs and pushing political agenda..would you continue to give the money because its one of the duties of a christian? Which God blesses a giver who sees their seeds not being used properly, doesn't speak yet continue to give, hence, reinforcing the bad behaviour? Is that who Yahweh is? I think not. Revise your thoughts and speak up, better yet, act up. Let them know you care....the poor from whose mouth they steal from will forever be grateful to you. Small small things will change and the wrongs will be righted.
But if you don't speak up...the blood of the poor, those who deserve the help, the money, would be upon your hands as well as the church's.

Remember, evil men succeed because good men refuse to act.

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by kimco(m): 11:23pm On Dec 14, 2019
OkCornel:

I only know of spirit led freewill giving (from a cheerful heart) not pegged at any particular percentage of one's earnings as the basis for giving under the new covenant.

2 Corinthians 9 v 7;
7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Acts 4 v 34-35;

2) I'm awaiting where God changed the standard of tithing from agro-produce as clearly stated in Deuteronomy 14 v 22-29, into money the wolves in shepherd's clothing are currently soliciting for.

I have been following your posts for a while now. I see your question has yet to be answered. Waste not your time bro....your questions are hard hitting and pin point....they wont get answered because the answers don't exist. Only round-aboutism

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by CodeTemplar: 3:13am On Dec 15, 2019
Lol... after abusing me and calling me names (mammon worshiper, spiritually bankrupt, modern day Pharisee among others ), the OP compiles my arguments against his anti-tithe position of the past and silently presents them in support of tithing.
Just check out some of my topics and posts (especially posts involving me and OP) then you will see what I am saying.
This thread is like a secret repentance of proud poster. . . lol.

Never too late to do the right thing.

OP forgot to copy scriptures like Zechariah 1:17, Galatians 6:6 to further support giving to churches and the pastorate.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 4:59am On Dec 15, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Lol... after abusing me and calling me names (mammon worshiper, spiritually bankrupt, modern day Pharisee among others ), the OP compiles my arguments against his anti-tithe position of the past and silently presents them in support of tithing.
Just check out some of my topics and posts (especially posts involving me and OP) then you will see what I am saying.
This thread is like a secret repentance of proud poster. . . lol.

Never too late to do the right thing.

OP forgot to copy scriptures like Zechariah 1:17, Galatians 6:6 to further support giving to churches and the pastorate.
Lol!

But thanks for helping me out, because all of the above bolded still represent you and your mentor below who omit and sideline the majors of the Law, judgment, mercy, and faith, because of a minor as tithing.

Imagine the kind of heresy that a church leader could possibly conjure because of tithing below. Some others would threaten people with death amongst other evils.

So the rebuke of Jesus also applies to all of you both ancient and modern-day tithe-abusers and I am completely with Jesus on this.

By the way, if you think I have ever been against tithing and this has anything to do with your gospel of mammon, you can continue in your delusion. For I've never been against the tithing, but the overemphasis and abuse of tithes by the pharisees which is what Jesus was also against and here is your proof:

https://www.nairaland.com/5403149/benny-hinn-repents-prosperity-gospel/1#82030130

But you can keep rejoicing because of a figment of your imagination instead of repenting of your mammon worshipping.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 5:23am On Dec 15, 2019
kimco:

I don't agree with the bible quote, i simply know what is right. Do you know why i say so? Because its the same bible people use to convince people to pay tithes so they get fat while the people remain poor yet these people defend paying money to these crooks and say to themselves "its between them and God, i have done my bit" forgetting they are reinforcing the bad behaviour. So no, i don't agree with the bible, i know what is right. Yes i know its confusing to say that but if i agree with the quote, i'd have to agree with any other as well. I don't think so.
I know you wouldn't agree with Bible even if the Bible on that occasion tallies with your point, because you're anti-Bible.

You have every right to though.

P.s. As per the bolded, I don't agree with everything in the Bible myself, so you wouldn't have to do so.
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 5:38am On Dec 15, 2019
Pauldollars:
Where was it stated that tithing was a Christian's duty?

I already showed what a christian's duty ought to be with the standard the church started with, so I don't agree with you on that.

As for your advice of my not being concerned about how the tithes are being used by church, even though I don't agree with Kimco on much, I think you should listen to his advice concerning that, because it could do your orientation some good.

God bless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 5:46am On Dec 15, 2019
OkCornel:
Jesusjnr, how did I end up here? Lol, thought I was on another thread handling some mammonic peddlers of false doctrines...

https://www.nairaland.com/5578996/indian-pastor-backs-pastor-adeboye/1#84910750
Lol!

Bro how you dey?

Well now you know, but perhaps it's a good thing that you didn't at first because I have observed some points you made about freewill giving, and I'm going to respond to that.

So feel free to express your views.

God bless.
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 6:09am On Dec 15, 2019
OkCornel:

2 Corinthians 9 v 7;

Acts 4 v 34-35;

As per the bolded, I wanted to know what you think of these commandments Jesus gave concerning giving.

Luke 12:33 (KJV)

33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

Matthew 19:21 (KJV)

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Thanks.
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Hiswordxray(m): 7:33am On Dec 15, 2019
Let's stop trying to patch this church system. It has failed, and it would keep failing, no amount of patch would fix it. We must go back to practicing ecclesia as the early Christians didn’t. They didn't do church, they did ecclesia. Ecclesia is the best platform for giving, even if it involves giving 100%. Everybody was taken care of, nobody lacked. They helped and encouraged each other. There was joy, contentment and satisfaction—that’s the Embodiment of the kingdom of God, that's what we should be practicing.

11 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 8:14am On Dec 15, 2019
Hiswordxray:
Let's stop trying to patch this church system. It has failed, and it would keep failing, no amount of patch would fix it. We must go back to practicing ecclesia as the early Christians didn’t. They didn't do church, they did ecclesia. Ecclesia is the best platform for giving, even if it involves giving 100%. Everybody was taken care of, nobody lacked. They helped and encouraged each other. There was joy, contentment and satisfaction—that’s the Embodiment of the kingdom of God, that's what we should be practicing.
The bolded made me laugh because that's what you ended up doing.

I agree with you though that we ought to go back to the example of that church that Jesus built.

Thanks and God bless.
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by ekestic1976(f): 8:35am On Dec 15, 2019
Tithing in contemporary times has NEVER been a GOOD thing. It's a ploy designed by the Devil himself to wrest from the hold of simpletons their hard-earned money to give to his calculating children, the so-called pastors. No creature of God can receive anything from Him except through FAITH, no matter how hard they wish to impress Him with giving of their resources and time. "The Just Shall Live By His Faith"! (Have you ever pondered the reason for the sudden contemporary emphasis on tithing? I'm over 60 years of age - things weren't done this way when we're growing up!). The Good Shepherd never for once paid tithe. But He paid a tax to Government; now, how many church-owners pay tax now? How many of the tithers pay tax?

8 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 8:35am On Dec 15, 2019
d
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by pennywys(m): 8:36am On Dec 15, 2019
Please don't bored us with silly question this morning.

What is tithe?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by AntiChristian: 8:36am On Dec 15, 2019
grin

1 Timothy 6:10
"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

But how many disciple of Christ payed tithes in the Bible?

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by KKKWHITE(m): 8:36am On Dec 15, 2019
Tithing is unscriptural Men of God still approved of it for their selfish interest

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by RiyadhGoddess(f): 8:37am On Dec 15, 2019
I pay tithe and I will continue to pay tithe till I meet with my maker.
The good thing is, I'm no longer on 10% but 20% and it is my prayer for God to give me the Grace and resources to do far above 20%.
All contributions to God's Kingdom & assignment will not pass me by.
The kingdom will not suffer bankruptcy not in my time.
I will do more for the kingdom!

Modified- I came back to say a Big thank you to everyone paying their tithe in your various local churches. May God Bless you greatly.
Also to those who wants to pay tithe but do not have the resources, may God Bless you beyond recognition. Lastly, to those of you who do not pay tithe because Daddy freeze says you shouldn't pay tithe or because the social media kicks against it or whatever irrelevant reasons, I want to say Thank you too for not paying your tithe. It only shows that God doesn't need your tithe to keep his kingdom going. As you already know or can see, You pay your tithe, you don't pay your tithe, THE CHURCH IS MARCHING ON!!!
DAALU

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Sirmuel1(m): 8:37am On Dec 15, 2019
I have never paid any tithe and I don't plan on paying any

4 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Offpoint: 8:38am On Dec 15, 2019
Tithes these days are being use to erect more churches (Kingdom expansion they call it) we are having moreworship houses with less saved souls.

Thing is beginning to look like business, the rate churches emphasized on tithes and giving these days is worrisome.

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by tonysunkan: 8:38am On Dec 15, 2019
Tithe is not tax. You don't question how it is used.

Pay your tithe.
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Obaakran: 8:39am On Dec 15, 2019
this tithing issue already becoming over floging issue
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 15, 2019
ok
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by dermmy(m): 8:39am On Dec 15, 2019
OkCornel:

2 Corinthians 9 v 7;

Acts 4 v 34-35;

Gbam. OkCornel don change o. I remember that thread where we argued vehemently about tithing. It's like you've seen the truth. I'm happy o
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by spirul77: 8:40am On Dec 15, 2019
I am not for or against tithing o but what I'm curious to know is, was Christianity not introduced to us by Europeans? I was speaking with a female pastor of a Pentecostal church from Poland and she told me they don't pay tithe because it's Old Testament and they only pay offering, so it got me wondering........do we now know the Bible more than the people that introduced it to us?

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osun Ushers In 2021 With Inter-Religious Prayer (Pictures) / Do You Fake Being A Christian As An Atheist In Nigeria? / Can A Good Atheist Make Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.