Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,966 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

How To Save A Choking Child - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Save A Choking Child (22077 Views)

Survival Skills 01: How To Rescue A Choking Person / Nigerian Doctor Uses ‘improvised Incubator’ To Save Baby’s Life - Photos / This Ambulance Drone Is Designed To Save Your Life During Emergencies. (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Save A Choking Child by prof2007: 11:04pm On Dec 16, 2019
We leave our kids at daycare, secure in the knowledge they’ll be looked after well. But apparently, this is not always the case. Heartwrenching preschool CCTV footage has emerged of a 4-year-old boy choking to death at school, all alone during lunchtime. “Why didn’t a teacher come to his rescue?” sobbed the mother’s boy

September 10 was a normal day for a kindergarten class in Hunan, China. The teacher on duty at mealtime made one critical and life-threatening mistake: She went away, leaving the little ones eating lunch on their own. Soon, one of the boys begins choking on his meal. The CCTV footage shows the boy is suffocating, as he tries to remove the food stuck in his mouth by coughing non-stop.

The child did not receive any help for 3 minutes. His classmates – too young to understand the gravity of the situation – are oblivious to the little one’s suffering. The footage then continues, showing the teacher coming back to the table. She tries to help the child extract the cake that was choking him but to no avail.

Immediately after that, the teacher can be seen hurrying the boy to a hospital. The journey took 8 minutes, but unfortunately, the boy could not be saved in time. The kindergarten school has taken full responsibility for the unfortunate episode after thoroughly discussing it over with the victim’s parents.

HOW TO STOP A CHILD CHOKING
The choking child can appear conscious or unconscious – and you should act accordingly depending on how they appear. Here are guidelines from the National Healthcare System UK on how to act if you see a child over one-year-old choking. Remember, these short tips may not seem much, but they can potentially help you save a life.

(A). IF THE CHILD IS STILL CONSCIOUS
-- Place the child facing downwards on your lap OR help sit up while leaning forward.
-- Pat his back five times.
If these back blows don’t help at all, apply the Heimlich Maneuver. This technique involves giving hard pushes towards the abdomen, which can help remove the object stuck in the child’s throat. The steps are to:
-- Stand or keep your knees down, facing the child’s back.
-- Tighten your hand into a fist place it between the navel and ribs.
-- Grab onto your fist with your free hand while still having both around the abdomen, then pull them both inwards and upwards.
-- Continue doing this action up to 5 times.

*Note that too much force may damage the lower ribcage, so do take caution.

Once the technique has been applied, evaluate the situation. Has the object been removed? If it hasn’t been expelled while the child is clearly aware, continue the Heimlich Maneuver. Always stay by the child’s side.

Even if the object has been expelled and the child isn’t suffocating, it is still best to consult a medical professional to evaluate his condition.

(B). IF THE CHILD IS UNCONSCIOUS
-- Lay them down onto a hard, flat surface.
-- Attract attention and call for help. Use your phone to notify the emergency hotline.
-- Open the child’s mouth. If you can clearly see an object that’s stuck and can be retrieved, try and take it out.
-- Apply cardiopulmonary resuscitation by giving the child a few breaths.
-- Always stay by the child’s side.

We are very sorry for the mother’s loss of her son. It’s a death that certainly could have been prevented had the responsible adults known what to do.

This article was first published on AfricaParent.com

SOURCE: https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/how-to-save-a-choking-child/

53 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by realwiz1(m): 6:37am On Dec 17, 2019
Nice thread op .. cool

1 Like

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:38am On Dec 17, 2019
Thanks for this wonderful thread OP.

The lives of our kids is all that matters.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by lemon10(m): 6:38am On Dec 17, 2019
d
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by sandland: 6:38am On Dec 17, 2019
Thanks. We have heard you.
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by Sharon6(f): 6:38am On Dec 17, 2019
Informative.. Thanks for sharing.

Please check my SIGNATURE

1 Like

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by Nobody: 6:39am On Dec 17, 2019
shocked
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by AsomArchitectNG(m): 6:39am On Dec 17, 2019
Informative
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by Authoreety: 6:41am On Dec 17, 2019
Na God dey save our children!

Please parents and guardian, if u find yourself in such situation, try forcing one or two fingers into the childs throat as deep as possible carefully, this has also proved to be a life saver.

Op, I believe it's not everyone here that will understand ur write-up

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by lastempero: 6:42am On Dec 17, 2019
Good life saving write up and not the major general Buhari bad news as usual

4 Likes

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by sureheaven(m): 6:43am On Dec 17, 2019
This piece of information is good but you should have supported it with diagrams or pictures.

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by luvinhubby(m): 6:43am On Dec 17, 2019
A picture or video tutorial on this will go a long way to help people understand

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by nurex01(m): 6:45am On Dec 17, 2019
Noted
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by HisRoyalHardnes(m): 6:46am On Dec 17, 2019
Images of the maneuver would have helped.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by chukwugoziegi: 6:49am On Dec 17, 2019
luvinhubby:
A picture or video tutorial on this will go a long way to help people understand

I was about typing this as well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by PeaceGord: 6:51am On Dec 17, 2019
post=84977589:
Thanks for this wonderful thread OP.

The lives of our kids is all that matters.

Lie.

Buhari must rule for life!

That's all that matters.

9 Likes

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by Tenses: 6:53am On Dec 17, 2019
If only nairaland could always be so educative instead of the usual tasha, tonto and other rascality with no informative content.

Every teachers or nannies in daycare or kindergartens should be taught this simple but effective lifesaving techniques.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by boss1310(m): 6:53am On Dec 17, 2019
Authoreety:
Na God dey save our children!
this statement and belief right here is one big problem especially in Nigerian homes.As much as I believe that God exists most of the things we humans do is in our hands.
thanks OP I have wee ones and this information is very well appeeciated

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by oshe11: 6:56am On Dec 17, 2019
The Picture guys above have said it ALL
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by oshe11: 6:57am On Dec 17, 2019
Tenses:
If only nairaland could always be so educative instead of the usual tasha, tonto and other rascality with no informative content.

Every teachers or nannies in daycare or kindergartens should be taught this simple but effective lifesaving techniques.

2 Likes

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by ziegurf(m): 7:00am On Dec 17, 2019
PeaceGord:

Lie.

Buhari must rule for life!

That's all that matters.

....otele
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by Offpoint: 7:00am On Dec 17, 2019
Fufu lump once choked when I was 3, at 3 I was swallowing lumps the size a 30 years adult hard labourers do swallow.

I was suffocating, while I was at the point of death... I saw a huge pot of hot egusi soup and a large bowel of Fufu with 12 angels surrounding it and singing "Welcome, welcome, welcomeeeeee to heaven's of Fu-fu-fuuuu lovers".

that moment I knew I was in heaven, as I was just a foot away from that delicious food.... my mom revived me back, still hasn't forgiven her till date.

5 Likes

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by Ketamine9000mg(m): 7:00am On Dec 17, 2019
First good thing I've read on nairaland like in a thousand years. Thanks plenty.

4 Likes

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by dapsoneh: 7:02am On Dec 17, 2019
This is of no use without practical demonstration
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by CalabarPikin: 7:13am On Dec 17, 2019
Op.....did I see call emergency...
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by feldido(m): 7:13am On Dec 17, 2019
No simple illustrative pictures sef undecided

1 Like

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by Kyllahmc(m): 7:14am On Dec 17, 2019
great... OP thanks for sharing this important information with us.
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by OBTMOS(m): 7:16am On Dec 17, 2019
B
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by iamoyindamola(m): 7:17am On Dec 17, 2019
Pictorial representation might also help please
Re: How To Save A Choking Child by tweakdude1: 7:21am On Dec 17, 2019
boss1310:
this statement and belief right here is one big problem especially in Nigerian homes.As much as I believe that God exists most of the things we humans do is in our hands.
thanks OP I have wee ones and this information is very well appeeciated

The young man is not wrong either. However, an attempt needs to be made first.

1 Like

Re: How To Save A Choking Child by Mylovelife: 7:32am On Dec 17, 2019
I remember when my baby of 7 weeks was choking. I actually caused it.

I was shouting blood of Jesus and was calling his name. I sat him up and patted his back, I also blew breeze on his head with my mouth.

He was almost lifeless, but somehow, he opened his eyes and tears were coming out and began to cough

If you see the speed I used in throwing away the plate of milk and spoon eh, I was faster than Usian bolt

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids / Dr. Ugo Anieto Discovers ANIETOCIN (Antibiotic For Drug Resistant Infections) / Lady Gets Twitter Excited After Sharing False Story About Her Friend Getting HIV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.