Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,387 members, 7,800,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 (3086 Views)

Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation / FG Approves New Automotive Industrial Policy, To Phase Out 'Tokubo' / FG Plans To Phase Out Kerosene Usage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by evilspirit: 12:40pm On Nov 29, 2010
Lagos state is set to phase out danfo from the streets of Lagos by Dec 2011.authoritative sources confirmed the purchase of about 100000 units of customized air conditioned mini buses to run the streets of Lagos.however,unlike the BRT that sometimes run on dedicated lanes ,these buses would run on the regular lanes.the source also confirmed that though the danfo buses would not be banned entirely but would have its operations restricted to some areas of Lagos and may likely be forced out of business by this initiative as lagosians  would prefer comfort offered by the buses.nice idea

Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 29, 2010
Nice looking bus but I hope they integrate the bus owners in a way that will see them partnering in this scheme.

I think the danfos just evolved under an environment that was not regulated and they have outlived their usefulness

I however dont know your source and 100,000 outrightly is beyond what the state can afford.

Imagine each unit goes for N1m, 100,000 units will be N100bn and you bet they would cost more than N1m per unit.

If your story is true, the government would have planned the purchase in phases
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by Horus(m): 1:07pm On Nov 29, 2010
Will they stop and park indiscriminately while picking or discharging passengers?
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by violent(m): 1:11pm On Nov 29, 2010
Face out danfo== more jobless touts in the system!
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by PhilMoane: 1:14pm On Nov 29, 2010
The transport situation in Lagos is scary.
I really appreciate the advent of BRT.
However, I get soo scared sometimes when condition makes it compulsory to board Danfo.
It is too harsh.
No respect to the passenger who is supposed to be a respected customer.
I welcome this move for one thing, Civilization and sanity.
Welcome BRF
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by Nobody: 1:16pm On Nov 29, 2010
Good stuff!
May I also add that buses should be prohibited from using the innermost lanes of any road. They should be made to stick to the outermost lanes and/or the middle lanes.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by Nobody: 1:19pm On Nov 29, 2010
@OP: Why did you remove the exterior picture of the bus?
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by onemopol: 1:21pm On Nov 29, 2010
In Fashola's dictionary, once he plants flowers everywhere, and ensure that only new vehicles ply lagos roads, then he has achieved. That is why people call him a governor for elites alone.

Why take out danfo buses? just get you bribe-collecting latsma guys to enforce road use rules.  let the VIO guys do their jobs too and ensure that only road-worthy(not necessarily new) vehicles ply the roads. Does fashola know how many families survive on the danfo buses?
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by evilspirit: 1:21pm On Nov 29, 2010
i would prefer something like this

Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by vigasimple(m): 1:28pm On Nov 29, 2010
with respect to our able Governor, Buses are not the solutions to Lagos Transport.

Light railways is the answer. it ticks every boxes. but we appreciate his effort.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 29, 2010
vigasimple:

with respect to our able Governor, Buses are not the solutions to Lagos Transport.

Light railways is the answer. it ticks every boxes. but we appreciate his effort.

And what makes you think he doesn't have a light rail project that will break with 2 routes in late 2012 or early 2013, while planning 4 other routes
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by Kaponanty(m): 1:38pm On Nov 29, 2010
Lagos is D state of excellency so there is need 4 renovation at a particular point in time.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by DapoBear(m): 1:45pm On Nov 29, 2010
violent:

This. I don't see what the point of this minibus thing is. We already have something that works, no? I think this is a waste of money.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by PhilMoane: 1:55pm On Nov 29, 2010
DapoBear:

This. I don't see what the point of this minibus thing is. We already have something that works, no? I think this is a waste of money.

Hello sir, Sanity is Important.

I know you enjoy that where you are now.

If you want to know the recklessness of the transport situation in Lagos,

You will know how important this reform is.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by bigass(f): 2:01pm On Nov 29, 2010
vigasimple:

with respect to our able Governor,  Buses are not the solutions to Lagos Transport.

fine,buses may not be the ultimate solution, but anything that will reduce private cars on the road is the deal.do you know that 75% of vehicle on Lagos roads are private cars?which  most times carry just one passenger?why no convenient alternative!!!!!!!!!!!!! if these buses are truly neat,convient and cheap i will drop my car!i think it will go a long in alleviating the problems on the road

violent:

does it occur to you that this will employ people too?so it can lead to loss of jobs
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by DapoBear(m): 2:04pm On Nov 29, 2010
Phil Moane:

Hello sir, Sanity is Important.

I know you enjoy that where you are now.

If you want to know the recklessness of the transport situation in Lagos,

You will know how important this reform is.

Why not then just legislate higher standards with the existing danfos? It makes ZERO SENSE for the gov't to be spending money on what is effectively a private business!

Legislate higher standards to improve quality, don't waste enormous sums of money like this.

95% of the time, when a gov't gets in trouble, the root cause is it getting involved in a business that is best left in private hands.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by DapoBear(m): 2:06pm On Nov 29, 2010
bigass:

fine,buses may not be the ultimate solution, but anything that will reduce private cars on the road is the deal.do you know that 75% of vehicle on Lagos roads are private cars?which  most times carry just one passenger?why no convenient alternative!!!!!!!!!!!!! if these buses are truly neat,convient and cheap i will drop my car!i think it will go a long in alleviating the problems on the road

Why is the gov't the one doing it, though? Shouldn't they just encourage a private businessman to explore this opportunity? Let the private businessman take the risks of the business, not the public.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by violent(m): 2:09pm On Nov 29, 2010
can we get em in any other colour besides yellow? undecided
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by bigass(f): 2:10pm On Nov 29, 2010
DapoBear:

Why not then just legislate higher standards with the existing danfos? It makes ZERO SENSE for the gov't to be spending money on what is effectively a private business!

Legislate higher standards to improve quality, don't waste enormous sums of money like this.

95% of the time, when a gov't gets in trouble, the root cause is it getting involved in a business that is best left in private hands.

i doubt if govt will own these buses 100% ,it will definitely be a PPP thing just like BRT and besides i think @op meant 10000 not 100000
they cant leave in private hands alone.do you know how huge the investment is?it will be too expensive and motive defeated
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by Mariory(m): 2:13pm On Nov 29, 2010
First of all this story has not been confirmed yet.

Now for those of you saying that existing buses should has legislation that brigs the buses up to standard. Can I remind you that there already is such legislation. It doesn't stop the danfos from breaking any road safety rules they can get away with.

This is a good idea if true and will provide employment oppurtunities as well. After all, the buses aren't going to be driven by robots.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by DapoBear(m): 2:14pm On Nov 29, 2010
bigass:

i doubt if govt will own these buses 100% ,it will definitely be a PPP thing just like BRT and besides i think @op meant 10000 not 100000
they cant leave in private hands alone.do you know how huge the investment is?it will be too expensive and motive defeated

If it is 10K rather than 100K, and some sort of 50/50 venture in which the gov't eventually phases out its involvement, I'm less opposed to it. Like I said, they also need to be careful how they deal with danfo drivers less they create unemployment and hurt the economy.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by violent(m): 2:17pm On Nov 29, 2010
violent:

does it occur to you that this will employ people too?so it can lead to loss of jobs

True, 100,000 minivans = 100,000 drivers plus same number of conductors {which could be slightly more than that}, a total equivalent of over 200,000 jobs.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 29, 2010
I think there'd incentives for giving up on the danfo buses. . . In the inital stages at least
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by bigass(f): 2:36pm On Nov 29, 2010
DapoBear:

If it is 10K rather than 100K, and some sort of 50/50 venture in which the gov't eventually phases out its involvement, I'm less opposed to it. Like I said, they also need to be careful how they deal with danfo drivers less they create unemployment and hurt the economy.

have you being to the apapa ports lately?these ports were operated by govt employees and many rouges and touts now govt has  concessioned it.surprisingly many of these rogues were employed and were able to conform to regulated environment.this implies that the danfo driver can still be employed but with adequate training so,no job loss
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by evilspirit: 2:40pm On Nov 29, 2010
q
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by evilspirit: 2:41pm On Nov 29, 2010
bigass:

have you being to the apapa ports lately?these ports were operated by govt employees and many rouges and touts now govt has  concessioned it.surprisingly many of these rogues were employed and were able to conform to regulated environment.this implies that the danfo driver can still be employed but with adequate training so,no job loss

it's true apapa has changed compared to the past
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by PhilMoane: 2:44pm On Nov 29, 2010
dapobear,

Thanks for being constructive in your reasoning.

This is a step in the right direction.

Job loss will be equal job gain. Dalton's atomic theory.

But the danfos you said should be regulated by law are not fit to be used in carrying animals.

However, if Govt try to send them off road, people will still cry foul.

I flew in to Lagos last December, I observed that BRT is forcing the molue to be responsible(a bit).

An action is needed, and this one is an action in the right direction.

In case you come home and decided to go out through danfo means,

You will regret the abuse, the roughness, the stress,and the tears you will have on your body or clothing.

If this goverment wait for businessmen, her vision will not be realised. Lagos needs urgent re-organisation.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by DapoBear(m): 2:57pm On Nov 29, 2010
^--- I see. To be quite honest, I've never used a danfo before in my life. Last time I was in Nigeria, I suggested to my dad that I take one to go somewhere (I just wanted to try the experience), he looked at me like I was insane.

But the thing is, as little as we think of them, thousands of people are dependent on them daily for their transport. It is very easy to suggest banning a form of transport you'll never use anyway, but what of the people in Lagos who are dependent on it and might not be able to afford what will probably be an expensive minibus ride?

This is part of what annoyed me about the proposal. Before you phase out danfo, not only do you have to study the impact on the drivers, but also the riders. These buses will probably cost a LOT more than danfos, and might possibly be out of the price range of your typical Lagosian.

Point taken about businessmen possibly not being interested in the business. But one  thing I've observed in life before, in general if a businessman is not interested in a business, there is probably a very good reason for it. Namely, the profitability isn't there. And if the gov't is spending lots of money on a business others have considered and rejected, then it is all the more reason to be very cautious, imo.

We need to be vigilant so this doesn't end up being another useless gov't project.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by evilspirit: 3:09pm On Nov 29, 2010
DapoBear:

^--- I see. To be quite honest, I've never used a danfo before in my life. Last time I was in Nigeria, I suggested to my dad that I take one to go somewhere (I just wanted to try the experience), he looked at me like I was insane.

But the thing is, as little as we think of them, thousands of people are dependent on them daily for their transport. It is very easy to suggest banning a form of transport you'll never use anyway, but what of the people in Lagos who are dependent on it and might not be able to afford what will probably be an expensive minibus ride?

This is part of what annoyed me about the proposal. Before you phase out danfo, not only do you have to study the impact on the drivers, but also the riders. These buses will probably cost a LOT more than danfos, and might possibly be out of the price range of your typical Lagosian.

Point taken about businessmen possibly not being interested in the business. But one  thing I've observed in life before, in general if a businessman is not interested in a business, there is probably a very good reason for it. Namely, the profitability isn't there. And if the gov't is spending lots of money on a business others have considered and rejected, then it is all the more reason to be very cautious, imo.

We need to be vigilant so this doesn't end up being another useless gov't project.

i doubt if it will be too expensive even though it has to be profitable for them to stay in business besides BRT is very affordable and from what i heard it will be in different grades.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by babapupa: 3:20pm On Nov 29, 2010
This is a bogus story and really should have been deleted.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by PhilMoane: 3:22pm On Nov 29, 2010
DapoBear:

Point taken about businessmen possibly not being interested in the business. But one  thing I've observed in life before, in general if a businessman is not interested in a business, there is probably a very good reason for it. Namely, the profitability isn't there. And if the gov't is spending lots of money on a business others have considered and rejected, then it is all the more reason to be very cautious, imo.

I observed that you don't use them. So you can't really appreciate how deplorable it is.
In few countries I have been to East and South Africa, They seem to be smaller but more organized.
In Rwanda, I retorted when I saw things that "my nation is just big for nothing"
You enter a Taxi(equivalent of Danfo) like a king and comes out a respected man.
For example,the best Danfo in Lagos are the worst Taxi on the streets of Uganda and Rwanda.
I think we need to make things better for ourselves.

In Terms of Job.

200,000 or 300,000 jobs is sure for 100,000 minibuses. Some others posts of supervision, managing as well as ticket sales rep will be opened for more jobless people.

There may be more business rooms not listed here.

Danfo will not phased out, but it will fizzle out with time. When it can no longer cope with the competition brought by modernity.

So, It will be gradual.

The meaning is, while the minibuses arrive, some will be employed out of the dependents on the sector.

as time goes on, the competition will make the remainders to be joining the scheme or goes for another job.

But it is not going to be sudden. No society jumps into modernity, it is only built up progressively with time.

Thanks.
Re: Lagos to Purchase 100000 Units of Minibuses,to Phase Out Danfo By Dec 2011 by PhilMoane: 3:29pm On Nov 29, 2010
On the Issue of Fare,

I can tell you that BRT is cheaper, despites its confortability.

I am sure of this.

Danfo's prices is "as the spirit leads".

But BRT is well regulated. Traffic can never change the price.

Sir, danfo do increase price over 150% sometime.

Even those who make up paying such will be handled with disdain after all.

I think this move is better, if we must metamorphose from stone age into the new world we desire.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTO: Robert Mugabe Falls Down From Podium / *** Check Out The Most Beautiful First Lady In The World *** / IG Bars SPY Policemen From Wearing Uniform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.