Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa (15361 Views)

Sanusi Knocks NNPC, Says Fuel Consumption Figures Unbelievable / TUC Tackles Sylva As FG Says Fuel Price Increase Looms / Mallam Adamu Ciroma Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by deji17: 11:03pm On Dec 20, 2019
Ibrahim Ciroma, Adamawa state operations controller of the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), says the number of trucks entering Adamawa on a daily basis has reduced from 100 to between 30 and 40

Ciroma said this while on an inspection tour of villages in Bele, Maiha local government area and Gurin in Fufore local government area of the state.

He said closure had ended fuel racketeering across the border and along the Adamawa borderline.

“Prior to this closure, the number of trucks we received in Adamawa was up to 100 trucks per day but today it has dropped to between 30 and 40 trucks. So, it’s a clear indication that fuel is not finding its way out of the country,” he said.

Ciroma said the drop in supply and availability of fuel in the state is a confirmation “that 70 percent of the products lifted by some marketers were smuggled out of the country.

“I want the people of Adamawa to be rest assured that there will be no scarcity. We have substantial quantity at the Yola depot and all filling stations are selling except those in prohibited zones.”

The federal government had closed the land borders in August to check smuggling.

In November, the government also directed that petroleum products should not be supplied to fuel stations within 20km of the borders.

Maikanti Baru, a former group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), had raised the alarm about the increasing number of filling stations in border towns, saying they were funnels for fuel smuggling to neighbouring countries.
https://www.thecable.ng/border-closure-fuel-consumption-has-dropped-by-70-in-adamawa-says-dpr/amp

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by aolawale025: 11:07pm On Dec 20, 2019
A big indictment on the customs

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by deji17: 11:09pm On Dec 20, 2019
aolawale025:
A big indictment on the customs

The same customs are involved in the border closure. A lot was going wrong in the past, but with present Govt good policy, things are taking shape.

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by budaatum: 11:11pm On Dec 20, 2019
mekaboy:

If not for rice, why was it closed during harvest?
See your "rice border".

https://fayeandfraser.substack.com/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by ruffhandu: 11:20pm On Dec 20, 2019
This will not teach how to maintain this when the border is opened.
My country? Once border is opened, 120 trucks a day.
Shouldn't the customs officers in charge there be sacked?

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by Ashawopapa001: 11:24pm On Dec 20, 2019
Corruption has brought the giant of Africa to it's knee

11 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by donbachi(m): 11:33pm On Dec 20, 2019
Increased in katsina by 20%.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by GamalNasser: 11:38pm On Dec 20, 2019
If this is true then it shows we don't need the customs service

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by kkins25(m): 12:46am On Dec 21, 2019
budaatum:

See your "rice border".

https://fayeandfraser.substack.com/
remarkable article buda. I for one necer looked at it from that point of view but I suspected something was going on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by Debaiz: 6:09am On Dec 21, 2019
Imagine this.

Will the rogue marketers or their relatives/dependents ever say Buhari is doing anything good? Best believe they’d be part of those cursing Buhari day and night.

The income and survival of most Nigerians are built on or tied to corrupt proceeds either directly, indirectly or remotely. Buhari is blocking a lot of all those streams of incomes so I don’t expect anything but curses from those who benefit from such.

In the end Nigeria shall prevail.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by dokyOloye: 6:10am On Dec 21, 2019
Who knows what came over buhari on this border closure cos it's common knowledge that Nigeria supplies most of Chad and Niger republic with fuel,diesel etc and they(northern Nigerians, Chad and Nigeriens) love it that way based on their Islamic brotherhood.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by 9jamag(m): 6:11am On Dec 21, 2019
grin
Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by Marvieduke(f): 6:11am On Dec 21, 2019
So they don't want to open the border. And they expect fuel consumption to be high.
Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by lightheart(m): 6:13am On Dec 21, 2019
What a huge drop!
Let the border remain shut.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by FutureFocus: 6:14am On Dec 21, 2019
we can not be subsidizing petrol for our neighboring countries , we are in pain already and we are even seeking foreign loans at the moment, the government should do more to block all these leakages and also look at the issue of illegal immigrants taking jobs meant for our people.

Nigeria population is a big market which is one of the indices that are necessary to boost it economy , it create huge market for local producers but that advantage and benefit has been taken away by our porous borders , making Nigeria a dumping ground for neighboring countries who imports all sort of junks and rubbishes from the rest of the world , bringing them by capitalizing on ECOWAS trade treaty , this is a huge problem to us.

we need to pay attention to basic things including border security .

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by helinues: 6:18am On Dec 21, 2019
You see.. Cos most of the fuel are exported out of the country.

Let our borders remain closed

12 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by MrPresident1: 6:19am On Dec 21, 2019
Continue deceiving only yourselves with border closure. When brexit finally happens, borders will be opened

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/360795-buhari-extends-closure-of-nigerias-borders-till-january-30-official.html
Buhari extends closure of Nigeria’s borders till January 31, 2020 – Official
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the extension of the ongoing closure of Nigeria’s borders till January 31, 2020.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50870939
MPs have backed Prime Minister Boris Johnson's plan for the UK to leave the EU on 31 January.

One day one day the dead will rise up from their mental graves and will know the people who have made them suffer so much. There will be a very just recompense.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by Roon9(m): 6:24am On Dec 21, 2019
Hmm... How about Katsina that makes filling station looks like a provision shop. Please tell us the number of trucks entering that town

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by Nobody: 6:25am On Dec 21, 2019
And it's still same Nigerians that would be shouting..

This country is dead
Nigeria is finished
If you have the opportunity run...

Still same Nigerians ruining the country.

4 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by osamz007: 6:25am On Dec 21, 2019
Reduces air pollution grin
Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by GeoAfrikana(m): 6:31am On Dec 21, 2019
From some comments above, seems some people are only happy when they hear bad news about Nigeria. Even when the news isn't bad, they try to paint it Black.

Why are some people just filled with bitterness, hate and pessimism? I don't understand!

Please tell me, if Buhari fails as a president do you think your Messiah (whoever that is) can rectify his failures in ten years?

Or you think Buhari has anything to lose if Nigeria fails? He's well over 70. He has lived his life. But you who has spent less than two decades of your life are the one that will bear it.

You better ponder well and start wishing good for your country.

A word, they say, is enough for the wise.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by Kelly2713(m): 6:34am On Dec 21, 2019
osamz007:
Reduces air pollution grin
Someone said it reduces air pollution

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by darkwan: 6:38am On Dec 21, 2019
MrPresident1:
Continue deceiving only yourselves with border closure. When brexit finally happens, borders will be opened

wat....??
what does nigerian borders got to do with brexit....??

did i missed something again....

8 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by gambia(m): 6:40am On Dec 21, 2019
Noted.
Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by HajiMT: 6:41am On Dec 21, 2019
My heart bleeds for this country. We all want a good Nigeria yet many are sabotaging the country from all angles

9 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by misterjosh(m): 6:42am On Dec 21, 2019
There's nothing without a good and bad side

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by BreconHills(m): 6:49am On Dec 21, 2019
kkins25:
remarkable article buda. I for one necer looked at it from that point of view but I suspected something was going on.

I have read the article and while I agree with the facts, I dispute the conclusion. The desire for foreign foodstuff and clothes is not a simply function of fx pricing rates. It is a function of irrational desire for all that is foreign. The writer of the article wrote from the standpoint of logical economics without adding any behavioral finance elements that would have made his article realistic.

What the new border policy does is give pause to those who have 1. Chosen to make all things foreign their badge of honour and 2. Those who supply their whims.

You may remember that at a time the juice market in Nigeria was dominated by Just Juice. Today following a ban and the inevitable poor quality of the product caused time period of time/poor storage of the product, we now have several local varieties valued at billions of naira and employing or distributing value to hundreds of thousands of Nigerians with multiplier effects to millions.

The long term change is a change in consumption patterns through deprivation of immediate gratification and the existence of viable local alternatives. It is not a "whack a mole" strategy. Anyone who has played that game knows that there is no strategy to it other than knee jerk reactions. The policy of import substitution is key to the future of the Nigerian economy. Creating a disconnect between demand and supply puts Nigeeia on a "cold turkey" withdrawal from its foreign origin drug.

The complaints we have now are merely the withdrawal symptoms of drug addicts on the mend. We "go soon dey alright"

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by MrPresident1: 6:50am On Dec 21, 2019
darkwan:

wat....??
what does nigerian borders got to do with brexit....??

did i missed something again....

I'll ask thunder to tear you into pieces if you ever quote me again.

Thunder stand by
Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by Difrent: 6:52am On Dec 21, 2019
dokyOloye:
Who knows what came over buhari on this border closure cos it's common knowledge that Nigeria supplies most of Chad and Niger republic with fuel,diesel etc and they(northern Nigerians, Chad and Nigeriens) love it that way based on their Islamic brotherhood.

That is to show that all the shouts and screams of buhari being an ethnic champion and religious bigot is hogwash fabricated by opposition politicians

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Ibrahim Ciroma Says Fuel Consumption Dropped By 70% In Adamawa by darkwan: 6:55am On Dec 21, 2019
MrPresident1:

I'll ask thunder to tear you into pieces if you ever quote me again.

Thunder stand by

tongue tongue....
i am thunda....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Imo North: Confusion As APC Gets Two Candidates / Lagos Closes Down More Lounges And Clubs For Safety Violations / Naira Notes Scarcity: Edo Govt To Set Up Special Task Force On Pos Agents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.