Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe (10395 Views)

The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos) / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / The Wodaabe People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by lovelylady: 8:00pm On Nov 30, 2010
While looking up YouTube clips in regards to Fulani I came across clips about the Wodaabe Tribe as well. Are they the same? They almost look similar. I would like to learn more about them.[s][/s]
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Tsiya(m): 10:29pm On Nov 30, 2010
Wodaabe is a tribe within the Fulani group. The are called Borori in Northern Nigeria. They do not have any permanent dwelling. They move with their families from one location to another location. They do not associate with any ethnic group or settled fulani.

Fulani (as the Hausa called them) is not a tribe but an ethnic group with large number tribal units. So all borori are fulani, but not all fulani are borori

3 Likes

Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by lovelylady: 1:28am On Dec 01, 2010
Thank you for correcting me and responding. I figured nairaland would be the best place to ask questions but it doesn't seem I will not be getting very much feedback. I enjoy learning about other cultures.

1 Like

Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Tsiya(m): 12:14am On Dec 02, 2010
lovelylady:

Thank you for correcting me and responding. I figured nairaland would be the best place to ask questions but it doesn't seem I will not be getting very much feedback. I enjoy learning about other cultures.

It depends on what culture you asking about. Fulani, Hausa, Kanuri, Tiv, Jukuns and other Northern Nigerian ethnic groups are the least you can find any positive information or response on this site. They are well under respresented, and generally people here have negative information about them, particulary the Hausa and the Fulani.

1 Like

Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by lovelylady: 7:55pm On Dec 03, 2010
I saw the name Fulani so many times in nairaland. I'm not that familiar with the ethnic groups in Nigeria. I looked them up on YouTube so I can see what they look like. Clips about both the Fulani and Wodaabe came up. That's why I asked if they are the same. It's the Fulani I would like to know more about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuWmb5xQowA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Tsiya(m): 11:17am On Dec 05, 2010
The internet is there for you to search. It will give you idea of the Fulani as a cultural and ethnic group.

But generally Fulanis re found between the edge of the Sahara Desert and the tropical rain forest, sometimes called grasslands suitable for grazing their cattle. Many fulani still lead the normadic life and hardly have a permanent abode however the large majority have succumb to the pressure of globilisation and what we called hausanization. Many of us have been forced to abandon our native language, dressing and even way of life to accept the more dominant hausa language and culture. In Nigeria in particular, unless in the remote villages some states particulary Adamawa nd Taraba, the language is fast disappearing.

Politically, the Fulani were more dominant in the Northern Nigeria, but now because of assimilation of the minority ethnic groups into hausa, it will be difficult to claim which tribe is more dominant politically. For example, Sultan of Sokoto, who is supposed to be the cultural leader of the Northern Muslim states, is Fulani by heritage but a Hausa in reality. Reason being that neither he nor his father or grandfathers speak and understand the fulani language. That is why in Nigeria, they call us Hausa-Fulani, although against our wish.

Physically, the Fulani are generally tall, lanky and a little bit fairer. Some claim that they re decendents of Arab, just like Somalis and Ethopians. But to me that is bull shit. Humans of all races evolved from Africa (if you belief in evolution theory), and therefore there is no way Fulanis or Somalis or Ethopians will come from Arabs. It is all inferiority complex. If you belief God Created every human and gave it it race, colours according to wish, then it is even simpler to belief that God created Fulanis, Somalis and Ethopians this way and that is how he wanted them. Personally I hate it when I hear any freak calling me a descendant of Arabs or something like that bullshit.

As you have read, here and on many Nigerian Newspapers, Fulanis are not loved by your people. Everybody in the Southern part of Nigeria hate us for no reason. We are simply the most hated and attacked ethnic group in Nigeria and we are subject of the most heinous, xenophobic and racist attack.

1 Like

Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by amazonia(m): 2:06am On Dec 08, 2010
Tsiya:

The internet is there for you to search. It will give you idea of the Fulani as a cultural and ethnic group.

But generally Fulanis re found between the edge of the Sahara Desert and the tropical rain forest, sometimes called grasslands suitable for grazing their cattle. Many fulani still lead the normadic life and hardly have a permanent abode however the large majority have succumb to the pressure of globilisation and what we called hausanization. Many of us have been forced to abandon our native language, dressing and even way of life to accept the more dominant hausa language and culture. In Nigeria in particular, unless in the remote villages some states particulary Adamawa nd Taraba, the language is fast disappearing.

Politically, the Fulani were more dominant in the Northern Nigeria, but now because of assimilation of the minority ethnic groups into hausa, it will be difficult to claim which tribe is more dominant politically. For example, Sultan of Sokoto, who is supposed to be the cultural leader of the Northern Muslim states, is Fulani by heritage but a Hausa in reality. Reason being that neither he nor his father or grandfathers speak and understand the fulani language. That is why in Nigeria, they call us Hausa-Fulani, although against our wish.

Physically, the Fulani are generally tall, lanky and a little bit fairer. Some claim that they re decendents of Arab, just like Somalis and Ethopians. But to me that is bull poo. Humans of all races evolved from Africa (if you belief in evolution theory), and therefore there is no way Fulanis or Somalis or Ethopians will come from Arabs. It is all inferiority complex. If you belief God Created every human and gave it it race, colours according to wish, then it is even simpler to belief that God created Fulanis, Somalis and Ethopians this way and that is how he wanted them. Personally I hate it when I hear any freak calling me a descendant of Arabs or something like that bullshit.

As you have read, here and on many Nigerian Newspapers, Fulanis are not loved by your people. Everybody in the Southern part of Nigeria hate us for no reason. We are simply the most hated and attacked ethnic group in Nigeria and we are subject of the most heinous, xenophobic and racist attack.

Why not say the truth? Some people hate Hausa/Fulanis for no reasons?
Though, i do not hate hausas/fulanis people myself, but other who do
have reasons. Like, you all have dorminated nigeria politics for all of our lifes.
And as such, responsible for the degredations of life in nigeria today. And that
you people keep fostering leaders on us that have nothing to offer but a return
to sand-age civilizations. And of course, that you people are violent.
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Omenani(m): 8:31pm On Dec 10, 2010
The Fulani are a beautiful people with a rich history. There are found throughout West Africa. It shows how extensive these people are. You can even find them as South as Cameroon and East into Sudan.

1 Like

Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by lovelylady: 9:13am On Dec 12, 2010
[quote author=Tsiya link=topic=559981.msg7274791#msg7274791 date=1291544255
As you have read, here and on many Nigerian Newspapers, Fulanis are not loved by your people. Everybody in the Southern part of Nigeria hate us for no reason. We are simply the most hated and attacked ethnic group in Nigeria and we are subject of
the most heinous, xenophobic and racist attack.
[/
When you said Fulani is not loved by my people who are you referring to? @Tsiya [quote][/quote]
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by emofine(f): 2:09pm On Dec 12, 2010
The only testimony I have heard concerning these people is how beautiful they are, I just wanna kno if it’s contagious coz I might consider selective breeding. tongue wink BTW just curious but do they resemble the Hausa peeps in any way many Nigerians mistake me for one cheesy
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by NegroNtns(m): 4:53pm On Dec 13, 2010
The internet is there for you to search. It will give you idea of the Fulani as a cultural and ethnic group

. . . . . .I think Fulanis should teach who they are, and not leave it to people to research them on the internet. The contents on internet are contemporary. . . . Fulani is an ancient people and they are best represented by voices of the ancient - a well versed Fulani, proud and connected to his/her roots and willing to share for cultural understanding and awareness.
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by morpheus24: 6:46pm On Dec 13, 2010
Tsiya:

Physically, the Fulani are generally tall, lanky and a little bit fairer. Some claim that they re decendents of Arab, just like Somalis and Ethopians. But to me that is bull poo. Humans of all races evolved from Africa (if you belief in evolution theory), and therefore there is no way Fulanis or Somalis or Ethopians will come from Arabs. It is all inferiority complex. If you belief God Created every human and gave it it race, colours according to wish, then it is even simpler to belief that God created Fulanis, Somalis and Ethopians this way and that is how he wanted them. Personally I hate it when I hear any freak calling me a descendant of Arabs or something like that bullshit.

Where are you getting this rubbish that Southerners hate Fulani people. Please correct yourself.

As far as the Fulani of Nigeria go. They are an extension of the Fulani that inhabit the sahel regions strecthing from the western most point in senegal to the tips of the Chad.

Fulani are indigenous to West Africa and have been within these regions for quite some time now. As you mentioned DNA evidence shows they are not descendants of Arabs but have a very small trace of genotypical dna traits as indigenous Berber north Africans, probably through intermarriages or trade. The dna gene is called[b]U6[/b]
They are quite distant from ethiopians and Somali and cluster more with West african Senegambian types like the Mandinka.

Again no one hates Fulani people as far as a people are concerned. Politics is another issue. Their nomadic natures have allowed them to be absorbed into more dominant settler groups like the Hausa togethter with its socio political views

2 Likes

Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Tsiya(m): 9:56am On Dec 18, 2010
morpheus24:

Where are you getting this rubbish that Southerners hate Fulani people. Please correct yourself.

As far as the Fulani of Nigeria go. They are an extension of the Fulani that inhabit the sahel regions strecthing from the western most point in senegal to the tips of the Chad.

Fulani are indigenous to West Africa and have been within these regions for quite some time now. As you mentioned DNA evidence shows they are not descendants of Arabs but have a very small trace of genotypical dna traits as indigenous Berber north Africans, probably through intermarriages or trade. The dna gene is called[b]U6[/b]
They are quite distant from ethiopians and Somali and cluster more with West african Senegambian types like the Mandinka.

Again no one hates Fulani people as far as a people are concerned. Politics is another issue. Their nomadic natures have allowed them to be absorbed into more dominant settler groups like the Hausa togethter with its socio political views

Because I am one, because I interract with Southerners, because I lurk around NL, because I stayed in foreign countries,

Anyway I might have exagerated my feelings and have made a unfounded generalisation.
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by lovelylady: 5:16pm On Dec 24, 2010
http://www.africaguide.com/culture/tribes/fulani.htm

This is a write up that I came across about the Fulani.

FULANI

The Fulani people of West Africa are the largest nomadic group in the world. As a group they contain a vast array of diverse people who were conquered and became a part of the Fulani through the spread of Islam.

The origins of the Fulani people are highly disputed, some believe that they are of North African or Arabic origin, characterized by the lighter skin and straighter hair. Some Africans even refer to them as "white people". However, recent studies show that they descend from nomads from both North Africa and sub-Saharan Africa. The Fulani were the first group of people in West Africa to convert to Islam through jihads, or holy wars, and were able to take over much of West Africa and establish themselves not only as a religious group but also as a political and economical force.

The Fulani are a very proud people; they are the missionaries of Islam and continued to conquer much of West Africa. The Fulani are primarily nomadic herders and traders. Through their nomadic lifestyle they established numerous trade routes in West Africa. Many times the Fulani go to local markets and interact with the people, getting news and spreading it through much of West Africa.

The most important object in Fulani society is a cattle. There are many names, traditions, and taboos concerning cattle. The number of cows a person owns is a sign of his wealth. This has caused significant conflict in recent months between the Fulani and other ethnic groups. The reason for this conflict is that the cows will many times go into the fields and eat the grains of local farmers.

As times goes on, the modes of transportation throughout West Africa have become more modernized. This modernization in transportation puts the Fulani at risk of losing their identity as nomads, and forces them to settle in farms and villages. This often creates other problems, as the Fulani are a very proud people of a unique culture and are used to ruling over the other people groups.

A distinctive difference between the Fulani and other African people is that the Fulani have a huge respect for beauty. Beauty is considered very important and one of the ways this is shown is through tattoos that are put all over the body. A distinguishing feature of a Fulani woman is her lips, which are many times a blackish color from the use of Henna or tattooing done on the mouth.

Being brave and fearless is also a very important aspect of the Fulani, and that is obvious by their numerous weapons. One tradition is that when two boys reach coming of age, the two boys hit each other with their spears, not showing any pain but instead laughing. Many have died in these ceremonies, which are now against the law in many countries, but continue to be practiced.

The Fulani normally raise large amounts of cattle and have therefore settled in the large plain areas of Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso and Guinea. The Fulani hold to a strict caste system. The four caste subdivisions are the nobility, merchants, blacksmiths, and descendants of slaves of wealthy Fulani.

1 Like

Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by PhysicsQED(m): 1:54am On Dec 25, 2010

A distinctive difference between the Fulani and other African people is that the Fulani have a huge respect for beauty.

What sort of nonsense is this?

One tradition is that when two boys reach coming of age, the two boys hit each other with their spears, not showing any pain but instead laughing. Many have died in these ceremonies, which are now against the law in many countries, but continue to be practiced.

I'm surprised such a tradition could come about. Seems bizarre. Is it a competition?
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Nobody: 11:53pm On Dec 26, 2010
Atleast they cared for Allahs livestocks,and we are able to eat from there,they are good people,and many prophet from God are cattle rearers,hardly will you find one that is non cattle rearer?They are blessed with a good sense of leading,cos they have the attributes of leadership
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Fulaman198(m): 8:10pm On Dec 31, 2010
A lot of what has been said earlier is nonsense. First and foremost. In the Adamawa region which also includes Cameroon (Ngaoundere, Maroua, Garoua, etc) Fulfulde (Fulani language) is still widely spoken. Adamawa fulfulde is also spoken in Gombe as well in Nigeria. Yes, the language is almost non-existant in some parts of Northern Nigeria like Sokoto, but the language is still very much alive. I speak the Adamawa Fulfulde dialect for example.

Yah Wodaabe are a tribe of the Much larger Fulani ethnic group which is found throughout the Sahel in West Africa. From Senegambia/Mauritania all the way to Sudan/Chad. To correct what someone said earlier, all Fulani (Fulani is a Hausa derived word) we call ourselves fulbe, all fulbe who herd cattle still in the Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger, Chad, Central African republic area are referred to as Mbororos.

Fula people have all sorts of hair, we do not have straighter hair, I do not know why white people like to say this. Also, we are not fair in complexion. In fact, a lot of us are dark. Sure there are light Fulani people, but that is like every ethnic group in Nigeria. You will find light Yoruba people, light Igbo people, light Hausa people, etc.

1 Like

Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by emofine(f): 8:50pm On Dec 31, 2010
Hey Fulaman198 good to see more Northerners here to dispel the myths.

I was wondering can a Senegalese Fulani differentiate from a Nigerian Fulani - even without them both speaking their dialect to expose the obvious differences.
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Fulaman198(m): 9:17pm On Dec 31, 2010
Yes, a Senegalese Fulani can differentiate from us because one they speak a different dialect called Puular.

Annually, there is a meeting called KJPF which is where all Fulani meet. Last year it was done in Yola, Nigeria.

KJPF stands for Kawtal Jangoobe Puular Fulfulde and it's supposed to be a meeting amongst all Fulani. In the video, I saw that although there are striking similarities in language there are also slight differences that make it hard to comprehend what the other is saying.

Let me give you an example.

Where are you from? in Senegalese Fulani is "Ko mo a honto?"

In Nigerian Fulani we would say "Hatoi a woni?" or "Toy yudon"?

I am from Yola in Nigerian Fulani would be Mi woni leydi Yola ha hima Nigeria

a Senegalese fulani would probably say ko mo mi Yola

What is your name in Nigerian Fulani is - Noy innde ma?
in senegalese Fulani it is - ko honno inneteda?

So you see, we can understand each other if we listen intently but it is not easy. Words are pretty much the same, physically speaking all West Africans are generally similar.

1 Like

Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by emofine(f): 6:40pm On Jan 02, 2011
Thanks for the info Fulaman, for 2 days I have been looking for a video of this assembly lol do you have a link?

I have not been back in Nigeria and I was too young to remember everything in detail as I left when I was 1 but my mother and senior sisters always used to testify to how beautiful the Fulanis are. I believe they are one of the groups in Nigeria that physically stand out. I don't believe all of them have straight hair, straight nose, fair skin etc but when I ask an ordinary Nigerian how do the Fulanis look they describe them as such. Furthermore I do believe there are many different looks in West Africa so I'm afraid I don't agree when you say all West africans look alike undecided

I have seen pics (I know this is not substantial data) of Senegalese/Malian Fula and they seem to have a different hairstyle and fashion from the Nigerian/Nigerienne Fulanis so I was also wondering if by looking at your Fulani brethrens from another country is it difficult or easy to differentiate i.e. maybe different tattoing etc.

P.S. How is Yola state - I have been curious about this region in Nigeria

Happy New Year Fulaman198, I hope you'll be frequent here as I have quite a few questions that I believe it's best if I converse with a Northerner smiley
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Fulaman198(m): 6:51pm On Jan 02, 2011
Typically speaking Fulani in Niger, Northern Nigeria, Northern Cameroon, Chad and Central African Republic do use different hairstyles from other Fula people and groups. Same can be said about other Fula groups in different countries and regions. That said, what I meant to say earlier is that even within an ethnic group there are different looks. There are people within the Hausa that look very different but are still Hausa, the same can be said about Yoruba, Igbo, Benin people, Tiv people, Kanuri, Shuwa Arab, etc. Fulani are no exception. I will see if my cousin has a copy of the video and I will give you a link of the KJPF meeting.

Yola a city within Adamawa state is nice. Although fulfulde is not necessarily the official language here, it is widely spoken. Fulfulde is widely spoken in Bornu, Gombe and Adamawa Provinces in Nigeria. Though all over the North, Hausa has become the Lingua Franca. Many Southerners make the mistake that Fulani and Hausa people are the same. We are different. Sure, there are Fulani and Hausa who have mixed together to form Hausa-Fulani, but those guys in Sokoto can't speak 1 phrase of proper Fulfulde.

That said, just because someone speaks Hausa and is from the North, does not make them a Hausa person. I don't know if I mentioned this, but the dialects spoken in Niger, Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon and Central African republic are very similar. While the dialects spoken in Gambia, Guinea, Senegal, Mauritania, Guinea Bissau, Sierra Leone (far West Africa) are very similar. I like to break them up in groups. Most people call Western Fulani language Pular/Puular and Eastern Fulani language Fulfulde. While there are many similarities, there are also some striking differences which can make it hard for communication between say a Nigerian/Cameroonian Fulani trying to communicate with a Senegalese/Mauritanian Fulani.

Happy New Years emofine
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 02, 2011
there are fulanis too at ilorin and they are yorubas not hausa
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:27am On Jan 03, 2011
Fulaman198:

Fulfulde is widely spoken in Bornu,

^^^^^

Really?
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Fulaman198(m): 2:23am On Jan 03, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

^^^^^

Really?

I would say so in the Western part, I could be wrong. But last I checked I heard it spoken there.
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Nobody: 12:42am On Jul 08, 2012
I absolutely adore the woodabe. smiley

I remember when I first heard of them. I saw a documentary on either
the history or discovery channel. Ever since, i've been fascinated by them. smiley

beautiful people and friendly. kiss

[img]http://notanotherfasionblog.files./2010/05/wodaabewoman.jpg[/img]

^^omg he is soo hot! grin
Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 16, 2012
Omenani: The Fulani are a beautiful people with a rich history. There are found throughout West Africa. It shows how extensive these people are. You can even find them as South as Cameroon and East into Sudan.

interesting... cool

that's a lot of traveling! grin

all i know is I think woodabe men are just the hottest in all of Africa kiss cheesy

Re: Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe by Nobody: 5:20am On Sep 06, 2015
JACKPOT. cool

13 mods down 30 something more to go shocked
Fulaman198:
A lot of what has been said earlier is nonsense. First and foremost. In the Adamawa region which also includes Cameroon (Ngaoundere, Maroua, Garoua, etc) Fulfulde (Fulani language) is still widely spoken. Adamawa fulfulde is also spoken in Gombe as well in Nigeria. Yes, the language is almost non-existant in some parts of Northern Nigeria like Sokoto, but the language is still very much alive. I speak the Adamawa Fulfulde dialect for example.

Yah Wodaabe are a tribe of the Much larger Fulani ethnic group which is found throughout the Sahel in West Africa. From Senegambia/Mauritania all the way to Sudan/Chad. To correct what someone said earlier, all Fulani (Fulani is a Hausa derived word) we call ourselves fulbe, all fulbe who herd cattle still in the Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger, Chad, Central African republic area are referred to as Mbororos.

Fula people have all sorts of hair, we do not have straighter hair, I do not know why white people like to say this. Also, we are not fair in complexion. In fact, a lot of us are dark. Sure there are light Fulani people, but that is like every ethnic group in Nigeria. You will find light Yoruba people, light Igbo people, light Hausa people, etc.

(1) (Reply)

Hoodlums Set Ogun Monarch's Palace On Fire. / We Should All Be Feminist / Another Lost Tribe Found In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.