Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,482 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:05 PM

Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 (30740 Views)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup / Qatar To Use Artificial Clouds In 2022 World Cup. / Russia Beats England To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar To Host 2022 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by newgroom: 4:41pm On Dec 02, 2010
Russia have beaten England in the fight to host the 2018 World Cup.

England and Russia plus two joint bids from Netherlands/Belgium and Spain/Portugal were contesting the 2018 decision.

The announcement of the winning bid was made by FIFA president Sepp Blatter at Zurich's Messezentrum.

The 22 men on FIFA's executive committee heard half-hour presentations from each of the four competing European bids this morning.

The four bid teams took sharply contrasting approaches in their last-minute appeals to FIFA to hand them one of the biggest prizes in world sport.

England used its final presentation to promise FIFA a commercially successful 2018 World Cup through an initiative that would match FIFA's current spending on football development.

The money from the England United project would be spent on developing the grass roots game around the world and leave a global legacy, bid leaders including Prime Minister David Cameron said when they addressed FIFA's executive committee members ahead of the vote.

Russia presented itself as a huge nation which had never before staged the World Cup, contrasting it with western Europe where all the major nations have staged the event.

Alexei Sorokin, the Russian bid's CEO, began by quoting Winston Churchill's famous description of Russia as "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma."

He said: "We can understand this perception that foreigners have but it's a Russia, that no longer exists."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02122010/58/world-cup-russia-host-2018-world-cup.html
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by newgroom: 4:55pm On Dec 02, 2010
I pity England!

Congrats Qatar!
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by naso2(m): 5:00pm On Dec 02, 2010
See what gragra has earned England. i dex vex.
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by bigben3: 5:02pm On Dec 02, 2010
goood luck to russia and qatar
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by medjai(m): 5:24pm On Dec 02, 2010
England brought it upon themselves. The Sunday Times report and the BBC Panorama feature were always gonna have adverse effects on their bid. But then, someone had to expose the rot in FIFA and its not fair they had to pay the price for being daring and audacious.
No Eastern European nation have ever hosted the world cup so its good they gave it to Russia, at least for a change.
As for Qatar 2022, I expect a lavish world cup. They are planning to build air conditioned stadia, can you beat that?
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by dayokanu(m): 5:38pm On Dec 02, 2010
England is sooo useless,

Cant even host a freaking world cup. Since 1966
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by Sagamite(m): 6:01pm On Dec 02, 2010
The England one pain me but hey that is life.

By the way, Fk BBC. Arseholes!!! angry At least I have a reason if I am taken to court for not paying TV licence. cheesy

The Qatar one was good though.
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by dayokanu(m): 6:11pm On Dec 02, 2010
The English bid came last.

They were 4th out of 4 contenders.

Buncha losers
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by Coolabbie: 6:12pm On Dec 02, 2010
Congrats 2 russia & qatar. I dont hv any sympathy 4 england cos dey shot demselves in d foot wit dat darn i-am-beta-dan-odas attitude of theirs. Dey can apply in anoda century. Dis is just anoda reason 2 show dat england is just a paper tiger.
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by OmoTier1(m): 7:04pm On Dec 02, 2010
guess England could actually start another competiton -WHINGING! maybe they would win the hosting right for that without any close rival.

Funny listening and reading comments by so called english football fans (aka unrepentant thugs) with their holier than thou attitude, making claims of FIFA corruption and the amafia russia state.

Well maybe it is hightime someone tells England that gone are the days when they muscle their way through the world stage with others doing a siddon look! They accuse FIFA of corruption claiming their bid was better both technically and financially, but they are quick to forget that in the bidding process for the 2012 Olympics, Paris had a far better bid both technically, commercially and financially, yet lost to the high wire backroom deals (as england would like to call it! instead of the obvious name: CORRUPTION) of Tony Blair!

Again did England ever think FIFA wold be fooled by all their actions in intimidating FIFA executives? It was obvious England was upto something fishy with her so called revealation about FIFA corruption. I am not in anyway in support of Amos Adamu, but I have asked this question: Why didn't the sunday times pull off her so called investigative sting before the visit of then england bid team to Adamu in Abuja? Why was the sting carried out after a report emerged that Adamu's vote was crucial to England gettng past the first round of voting?
Maybe England/UK should realize that they can no longer decieve others with their holier than thou attitude when it comes to global events as they are far more corrupt than most of the countries they accuse of corruption, only difference is that they use their corruption proceedings to the benefit of their citizens!
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 02, 2010
Shame on EPL with their gra gra England owner
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by Sagamite(m): 7:58pm On Dec 02, 2010
Omo_Tier1:

Paris had a far better bid both technically, commercially and financially, yet lost to the high wire backroom deals (as england would like to call it! instead of the obvious name: CORRUPTION) of Tony Blair!

Omo_Tier1:

I am not in anyway in support of Amos Adamu, but I have asked this question: Why didn't the sunday times pull off her so called investigative sting before the visit of then england bid team to Adamu in Abuja? Why was the sting carried out after a report emerged that Adamu's vote was crucial to England gettng past the first round of voting?

Where did you get these from?
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by UyiIredia(m): 8:06pm On Dec 02, 2010
congrats to Russia >>> i believe the time is ripe for them to host the World Cup >>> this will go a long way in opening up Russia to the world >>> thing is no matter how hard i try i always picture Russia with Communism and its likes

>>> this World Cup is one i urge them to take advantage of to show how open they are in all spheres >>> who agrees with me ?
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by semid4lyfe(m): 8:16pm On Dec 02, 2010
Serves England right. I too know na im make dem lose the right to host 2018.

Imagine them airing a programme that accuses FIFA of corruption and indicting 3 exco members when these same 3 people are part of those that will vote and be instrumental to them getting the rights or not. . .self defeatist and pure suicide IMO.

FIFA is like a cult. . .they stick together and they're very vengeful. They don't forgive and they don't forget. Adamu and co were sacrificed (becos they didn't have a choice) to save face.
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by 10cirenoh: 8:18pm On Dec 02, 2010
Good for Russia, it's not by MAKING NOISE.
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by medjai(m): 8:55pm On Dec 02, 2010
I wonder how Russia pulled it off. I mean the only recognisable face in their bid team was Elena Isinbayeva, the polevault champion. Vladimir Putin and Dmitriy Medvedev were in faraway Moscow when all the other contenders had their who is who in Zurich. England had Prince William, David Cameron, David Beckham and others.
I think the fact that they have never hosted the world cup played to their advantage. I also think there's a motive to open Eastern Europe to the rest of the world. Eastern Europe have for long been a region shrouded in secrecy. Most of the countries there are called 'Iron Curtain Countries'. Most of the countries there dont belong to EU.
I dont think it's fair to criticise the English press. They could have been more pragmatic though. I think they were only doing their job. The whole world and Nigeria in particular is benefiting from what they did. If Nigerian journalists were this daring, Nigeria wont be were it is today. Before his downfall, Amos Adamu had bought and paid for Nigerian football. He was the man behind the scene, pulling all the strings. That England were not given the hosting rights for the 2018 world cup probably because their journalists did what others could not do shows how dysfunctional and corrupt the world we live in is
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by MrTA(m): 9:07pm On Dec 02, 2010
Omo_Tier1:

guess England could actually start another competiton -WHINGING! maybe they would win the hosting right for that without any close rival.

Funny listening and reading comments by so called english football fans (aka unrepentant thugs) with their holier than thou attitude, making claims of FIFA corruption and the amafia russia state.

Well maybe it is hightime someone tells England that gone are the days when they muscle their way through the world stage with others doing a siddon look! They accuse FIFA of corruption claiming their bid was better both technically and financially, but they are quick to forget that in the bidding process for the 2012 Olympics, Paris had a far better bid both technically, commercially and financially, yet lost to the high wire backroom deals (as england would like to call it! instead of the obvious name: CORRUPTION) of Tony Blair!

Again did England ever think FIFA wold be fooled by all their actions in intimidating FIFA executives? It was obvious England was upto something fishy with her so called revealation about FIFA corruption. I am not in anyway in support of Amos Adamu, but I have asked this question: Why didn't the sunday times pull off her so called investigative sting before the visit of then england bid team to Adamu in Abuja? Why was the sting carried out after a report emerged that Adamu's vote was crucial to England gettng past the first round of voting?
Maybe England/UK should realize that they can no longer decieve others with their holier than thou attitude when it comes to global events as they are far more corrupt than most of the countries they accuse of corruption, only difference is that they use their corruption proceedings to the benefit of their citizens!

While i think it serves England right due to their media witch hunt of FIFA. Alot of your post is still obviously wrong. The Technical and financial report was done by FIFA's own consultants who FIFA employed to carry out this investigation. and the bolded part makes no sense whatsoever.
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by MrTA(m): 9:08pm On Dec 02, 2010
medjai:

I wonder how Russia pulled it off. I mean the only recognisable face in their bid team was Elena Isinbayeva, the polevault champion. Vladimir Putin and Dmitriy Medvedev were in faraway Moscow when all the other contenders had their who is who in Zurich. England had Prince William, David Cameron, David Beckham and others.
I think the fact that they have never hosted the world cup played to their advantage. I also think there's a motive to open Eastern Europe to the rest of the world. Eastern Europe have for long been a region shrouded in secrecy. Most of the countries there are called 'Iron Curtain Countries'. Most of the countries there dont belong to EU.
I dont think it's fair to criticise the English press. They could have been more pragmatic though. I think they were only doing their job. The whole world and Nigeria in particular is benefiting from what they did

They had Roman Abramovich. Nuff said.
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by Sagamite(m): 9:18pm On Dec 02, 2010
medjai:

I dont think it's fair to criticise the English press. They could have been more pragmatic though. I think they were only doing their job. The whole world and Nigeria in particular is benefiting from what they did. If Nigerian journalists were this daring, Nigeria wont be were it is today. Before his downfall, Amos Adamu had bought and paid for Nigerian football. He was the man behind the scene, pulling all the strings. That England were not given the hosting rights for the 2018 world cup probably because their journalists did what others could not do shows how dysfunctional and corrupt the world we live in is

It is simple: FIFA is practicing New Horizons.

SA ---> Russia ------> Qatar

Don't be surprised if Australia wins the next one.

Fking well done to the British press for revealing the corrupt arseholes.

I just have a problem with the mooorons that thought it was a good idea to show it before a vote where the country has invested so much in. They could still have got their point in after the vote. Russia would still have won anyway, I bet most FIFA people are Blatter's puddle and will follow instructions.
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by dayokanu(m): 9:29pm On Dec 02, 2010
World cup in Qatar = Epic fail

Instead of this we would be seeing this

Would fans be allowed to drink beer at the Qatar World cup?

Qatar prohibits importation of Pork, How would western fans survive?

Qatar daytime temperature is about 50C Thats hell on the field

Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by babyboy3(m): 9:33pm On Dec 02, 2010
Where did you get these from?

England got what they deserve (2 votes)

England seem to forget how they won the right to host Euro 96,

Proverb: "you don't remove the wrapper from my loin in public to reveal my unclothedness then plead with me in the, privacy of my room to wrap it on my loin" . You accuse officials of corruption in a programme broadcast worldwide then lobby them for their votes in private,

Like someone said earlier Paris was bang on to win the 2012, but we heard London won, Jacque Chirac wanted to voice but swallowed it and accepted the defeat,

England did everything to persuade Sepp Blatter to move the 2010 World Cup to England by demonising their preparation,
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by 10cirenoh: 9:36pm On Dec 02, 2010
dayokanu:

Are these girls ninjas?
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by Mariory(m): 9:52pm On Dec 02, 2010
dayokanu:

Agreed! The fail is colossal. This is a country that has never qualified for any world cup. So moronic. Congrats to Russia though.
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by OmoTier1(m): 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2010
dayokanu:

Absolute trash! Seems you'r falling for the stupid English rants. Who says you can't have a world cup fiesta without beer? Beside, Qatar bid chief has already said the the rules will be relaxed to allow some drinking during the tournament. Again, I personaly think England is deluded to think they are the home of football = best football lovers.
What you may not have realized is that Qatar's bid wasn't for immediate commercial gain  from the world cup rather they want to use it as a spring board to open up their country to the outside world so they can command some influence and respect like UAE currently does. Let me remind you that in Qatar's bid, there is a staggering $40bn or there about budgetted for high speed metro rail and some 21st century road, water and air transportation infrastrcutre.
More so, Qatar already has a large chunk of that money to start spending and in comparison to the England bid, (apart from the backlash of the media sting) FIFA knows England hasn't got the money to host the world cup as they would have to rely heavily on coporate sponsorships with all manner of pledges that sometimes do impact on the smooth preparation for the world cup like we are currently witnessing in London 2012. Further, there were two issues FIFA demanded way back in March 2010 that England should pledge they would do: 1. Legislation to make the FIFA event tax free to an extent 2. The possibility of visa free event. Russia delivered on thsoe two demands, plus there is a state backing for the Russia bid compared to England. FIFA knows that with state backing, they would have less to do on finances and focus more effort on prompt delivery of quality projects at agreed timelines.
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by MrTA(m): 10:09pm On Dec 02, 2010
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by babyboy3(m): 10:10pm On Dec 02, 2010
Spot on Omo tier

Do you know that Qatar are going to build 22 stadiums (13 retractable stadiums) that would be collapsed after the world cup and taken to 3rd world countries and set them up for free,
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by dayokanu(m): 10:12pm On Dec 02, 2010
^^^ how did any of your responses address my concerns?

Most football fans drink beer during the world cup. How do bikini clad lad girls from brazil fit in Qatar without being stoned?

What of the 50C heat in mid summer?

And what makes you think I support England's bid?

didnt you see my first post on here?

dayokanu:

England is sooo useless,
Cant even host a freaking world cup. Since 1966

dayokanu:

The English bid came last.
They were 4th out of 4 contenders.
Buncha losers
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by OmoTier1(m): 10:14pm On Dec 02, 2010
Mariory:

Agreed! The fail is colossal. This is a country that has never qualified for any world cup. So moronic. Congrats to Russia though.

Maybe you should actually follow the line of reasoning of Sagamite:

It is simple: FIFA is practicing New Horizons.

SA ---> Russia ------> Qatar

How many times have SA qualified for the world cup? I think we all know that FIFA is after countries who have money to spend on new facilities and infrastructures. More so, I think Blatter wants to truly give every part of the world the feeling that its truly a WORLD CUP and not some WESTERN EUROPE/SOUTH AMERICA cup. At least something He can boast that He achieved while He was the head of FIFA. Haven read the response of the head of the England bid on BBC website tonight, it is obvious that England failed woefully because of 1. Very poor deals done 2. Too late deals with no sincere commitments.
Let's not deceive ourselves, every bidding process involves cutting deals regardless of the sport, otherwise why would so many nations be fighting to have their man at the very top level/committee of most global sporting bodies?
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by babyboy3(m): 10:22pm On Dec 02, 2010
Sepp Blatter knows that once he steps down countries like Qatar would not see the world cup again? thats why they decided for 2 tournaments because Blatter would be gone in 2020,

Once Blatter goes Africa wont see it again, it either bounces between Europe and America! Asia would not see it either
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by ada24: 10:25pm On Dec 02, 2010
honestly i am so fed up of the way the british media is reacting to this issue that england has lost - abeg England does not have the money and after 2012 I doubt people will be wiling to pay for this.

they can't even grit roads when it snows and they want to hold world cup - KMT!!!!!!!
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by Remii(m): 10:26pm On Dec 02, 2010
dayokanu:

^^^ how did any of your responses address my concerns?

Most football fans drink beer during the world cup. How do bikini clad lad girls from brazil fit in Qatar without being stoned?

What of the 50C heat in mid summer?
And what makes you think I support England's bid?

didnt you see my first post on here?

Qatar hosted a very successful Asia games in 2007. It is not "hot" throughout the year in Middle East, infact, some days, you need winter jacket from Nov to March. FIFA may consider that period, if weather becomes an issue. They are part of the FIFA so you visit them as they too have gone to "cold" places too, that is the rule of "Turn by Turn" according to Fela.
Re: Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 by Sagamite(m): 10:26pm On Dec 02, 2010
baby-boy:

England did everything to persuade Sepp Blatter to move the 2010 World Cup to England by demonising their preparation,

Where did you get this information from?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Football Trial, Agent And Scouts Contact Abroad. / Brazilian Football Match Abandoned: Nine Players Sent Off In A Mass Brawl / Yobo, NFF Executives In Uyo For Vincent Enyeama's Mum's Burial (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.