Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,884 members, 7,806,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? (9234 Views)

Boko Haram Dumping Pits Discovered By Army During Clearance Operation - Graphic / Man Beaten By Army Cadets For Complimenting A Female Cadet Recounts His Ordeal / Photo Of Fela In Bandages After Severe Beating By Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Ikomi(m): 1:56pm On Dec 03, 2010
sochan:

@Ikomi,
we are in the same track. But my point is, what whoever auhtorised this operation expecting a different outcome with the track record of the Army?

And also i do not accept that the millitary approach was the best option.

Unfortunately that country is turning to a nation where the symptoms far outweigh the diagnosis thereby requiring a cure to be newly engineered in the best laboratory with the most competent hands.

My lovely nation how I weep for thee.

Have a good day Sochan.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Ymodulus: 2:01pm On Dec 03, 2010
SapeleGuy:

No be today our matter dey political table, the problem is that some people are afraid of fiscal federalism, these parasitic criminals will not even sit at the table for a sovereign national conference. What are you afraid of?

We are now in December as is customary, I am sure the gas flaring deadline will be extended yet again.

Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Mariory(m): 2:16pm On Dec 03, 2010
Why are you all jumping to conclusions already? That same news article said no independent assesment has been carried out.

xoxo, :

Oghebejabor Ikim, national coordinator for the Forum of Justice and Human Rights Defense, told The Associated Press civilians have suffered a heavy toll in the military operation that began Wednesday. He did not say how many of the 150 dead were civilians, but said militants left the area before the offensive began.

Really? So the 2 hour battle that was reported before never happened?
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by samtoye(m): 2:26pm On Dec 03, 2010
There can never be justification for killing the innocent civillians but neither should criminal hide under the guise of freedom struggles, we are one nigeria regardless of all the odds. Giving free money to strong abled men in the name of amnesty would only indidcate that the hard working ones are fools; subsequently breeding more militants. A saying goes "Victory achieved by violence is the greatest defeat".
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Nsiman(m): 2:33pm On Dec 03, 2010
killing innocent pple, burning houses, it looks idiotic to the intelligence unit of the security outfit that shld rather monitor Togo for possible arrest. Gej is taking a bad step for future reference if at all
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Pappij: 2:38pm On Dec 03, 2010
I dont know, if any of you guys actually checked the link of this information. Its actually dated December 3, 2008 lipsrsealed

wonder why such news will break two years later angry

All this witches against my country are at work again.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Alxmyr(m): 2:39pm On Dec 03, 2010
There's no basis whatsoever for anyone to go back to the creek and take up arms. Anyone that can take up military weapons such as pocket launchers should face the full wrath of the law. We cannot afford to continue to beg criminals in the name of amnesty. GEJ has responsibility to quell any insurgence in any part of Nigeria and that he is busy doing. If you are affected, too bad.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by OmoTier1(m): 2:46pm On Dec 03, 2010
Alxmyr:

There's no basis whatsoever for anyone to go back to the creek and take up arms. Anyone that can take up military weapons such as pocket launchers should face the full wrath of the law. We cannot afford to continue to beg criminals in the name of amnesty. GEJ has responsibility to quell any insurgence in any part of Nigeria and that he is busy doing. If you are affected, too bad.
You spoke my mind on this issue. Though it hurts but it's the truth we all must accept and live by. ND should find themselves meaningful jobs and also engage their leaders who steal vast percentage of what is ment for the development of the area!
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Alxmyr(m): 2:48pm On Dec 03, 2010
The story was dated 2008. Whoever post this should be banned. She is a bunch of idio.t.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Beaf: 2:48pm On Dec 03, 2010
Pappij:

I dont know, if any of you guys actually checked the link of this information. Its actually dated December 3, 2008 lipsrsealed

wonder why such news will break two years later angry

All this witches against my country are at work again.

You better clear your eyes about the date. We are talking about events that are taking place as we speak and some of us are from the area.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Blazay(m): 2:52pm On Dec 03, 2010
Militants in the Niger Delta have attacked pipelines, kidnapped petroleum company employees and fought government troops since an insurgency began in 2006. The attacks cut drastically into crude production in Nigeria, an OPEC-member nation that is one of the top suppliers of crude oil to the U.S. Production has risen back to 2.2 million barrels of oil a day, in part because many militant leaders and fighters accepted the amnesty deal.

Just wondering why these same army is not depolyed to the Northern part of Nigeria when there are civil/religious unrests.
In any case, vandals caught blowing up pipelines in the Niger-Delta region should be dealt with,
Hopefully, not innocent citizens of the Niger-Delta region.
But who can tell the diference really?
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Mariory(m): 2:52pm On Dec 03, 2010
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101203/wl_nm/us_nigeria_delta

"My husband is dead, also my two brothers are dead. There is nowhere to go now," said Aunty Polobiri, one of scores of women sheltering in a warehouse outside the city of Warri who said they had fled the fighting around Ayakoroma.

"The army came to the house, destroyed the whole place, burned down the house. Three men were shot in my presence," said another woman, Niyeta Egwuere.

The camps lie deep in the creeks and it was not immediately possible to independently confirm whether civilians had been killed. The security forces have a tense relationship with some local communities and in the past there have been claims of high death tolls which could not subsequently be verified.

The Red Cross said it had received reports of casualties but had not yet been able to reach the scene of the fighting because of its remoteness. It said a team would travel with the military to the communities affected later on Friday.

"I warned the (local Red Cross team) not to go until it is safe, so they went to the local JTF commander and he agreed to provide access to them. They will be going to the camps," a senior Red Cross official told Reuters.

The military has said it wants to flush out gang leader John Togo from Delta state, whom security sources say is one of the more dangerous criminals in the Niger Delta, responsible for violent armed robberies, ambushes and attacks.

"These are professional soldiers who are conversant with the rules of engagement. No such thing happened and cannot be allowed during my tenure in office. We are not in a war situation," JTF Commander Charles Omorege told Reuters, when asked about reports that scores of civilians had been killed.

"A visit to the community and interaction with these people will suffice. You have my word," he said.

This is why we should wait before jumping to conclusions.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Beaf: 2:58pm On Dec 03, 2010
^
For you, it seems ok to wait, for some of us, we know better; there are some with first hand facts. Do you know the distance from Burutu area to Warri mainland where the scores of women interviewed have run away from? If you knew, that alone would tell you it isn't childs play.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 03, 2010
Who said this is an old news, men google it,, the news is everywhere
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Pappij: 3:19pm On Dec 03, 2010
Beaf:

You better clear your eyes about the date. We are talking about events that are taking place as we speak and some of us are from the area.

How dare you talk to me that way, have you checked the link quoted as i posited earlier. All this kids running around this forum, no home training you just type without thinking. Twart
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Beaf: 3:22pm On Dec 03, 2010
Pappij:

How dare you talk to me that way, have you checked the link quoted as i posited earlier. All this kids running around this forum, no home training you just type without thinking. Twart

What a funny person. Clear your eyes well, because you are both blind and morally crippled.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Akpuoru: 3:24pm On Dec 03, 2010
When this kind of bombardment happened last year during Yaradua's
reign,some people said it was attack from the north,person's like Clarke talked.Now GEJ is involved,it is Nigerian Army,Clarke has not spoken.What the f, k is going on?
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 03, 2010
If only those killed are truly and truly criminals, then 150 is not enough
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 03, 2010
^^ARE YOU SERIOUS?! angry

@topic: Oh my!
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by 667: 3:34pm On Dec 03, 2010
Nigeria is an extension of Hell. Its government are blood drunk/blood sucking demons.

Nigeria have fought another war after the civil war decades back so they are using innocent civilians to practice/testing military strength. And also stylishly reducing the Ijaw people just to make them weak and the government can have complete control of the oil without challenges.

I am impressed.  angry
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by lwise(m): 3:41pm On Dec 03, 2010
WE HAVE MANY UNPATRIOTIC NIGERIANS ON THIS FORUM

CLICK ON THE LINK OF THE ARTICLE IN QUESTION,
THAT NEWS IS DATED DEC 2008,
THAT MEANS THE ADMIN,THE MODERATORS ARE NOT DOING THIER JOBS
B4 U MAKE A TOPIC APPEARS ON THE HOME PAGE,IT IS BETTER TO INVESTIGATE,
I GUESS THATS THE JOB OF A MODERATOR.

IF YOU CLICK ON THE LINK YOU WILL FIND THIS AT THE TOP

LAGOS, Nigeria, Dec. 3, 2008
Rights Group: Nigerian Military Raid Kills 150
National Troops Hunting Rebel Leader Have Killed Dozens of Civilians in 3 Day Raid, says Human Rights Group

SEUN,I WANT YOU TO BAN THE GUY THAT POSTED THE ARTICLE AND CHANGE THE MODERATORS.
IM WAITING!!!
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by lwise(m): 3:44pm On Dec 03, 2010

National Troops Hunting Rebel Leader Have Killed Dozens of Civilians in 3 Day Raid, says Human Rights Group

SEUN,I WANT YOU TO BAN THE GUY THAT POSTED THE ARTICLE AND CHANGE THE MODERATORS.
IM WAITING!!!
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by lwise(m): 3:48pm On Dec 03, 2010

IM WAITING!!!
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by lwise(m): 3:48pm On Dec 03, 2010

IM WAITING!!!
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SapeleGuy: 3:50pm On Dec 03, 2010
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/12/community-protests-as-jtf-continues-bombardment/

Community protests as JTF continues bombardment
News Dec 3, 2010

By Emma Amaize
WARRI — THE people of Ayakoromor community in Burutu Local Government Area of Delta State have protested Wednesday’s bombardment and burning of their community by men of the Joint Task Force, JTF, on the Niger Delta, but the task force continued with its operation, yesterday, vowing that it would smoke out John Togo wherever he is hibernating.

More persons reportedly lost their lives in the renewed offensive, yesterday. Among the casualties were a community leader, Jacob Mokor; 55-year-old Onitsha Kitua; a secondary school teacher, Bonny Mekuruno, a teenager identified as Benji, Nonaverhue Kalana, who escaped from his house when it was set ablaze and allegedly fired when he rushed out and Oyabrede. A music maestro whose name was given as Borere and Samuel Rubber were among the wounded.

By Emma Amaize
A villager told Vanguard, yesterday: ”All the houses in the waterfront were razed to the ground by soldiers and yesterday morning when the soldiers came again, some people who were still bleeding from the injuries sustained from Wednesday’s attack were killed.”

Vice President of the Ayokoromor Federated Communities, Elder Bernard Brialade, Ayokoromor Urban chairman, Chief Albert Doutimiyebo and other leaders, who addressed newsmen on the recent development appealed to President Goodluck Jonathan to restrain the task force from killing innocent civilians.

Both media coordinator of the task force, Lt. Col Timothy Antigha declined to own up to any killing and arson by the task force when contacted, saying the JTF took over two militant camps, belonging to John Togo earlier on Wednesday and continued with its operation yesterday.

He said the task force had earlier warned those residing near militant camps to vacate the areas, adding that people in camouflage army uniforms who were shooting at military aircrafts and soldiers could not have been civilians as claimed.

However, Ogodobiri, Obotebe and other neighboring villages to Ayokoromor, which were horror-struck by the destruction carried out by the task force in Ayokoromor have also called on the task force not to attack the people.

Elder  Brialade and Chief  Doutimiyebo said Ayokoromor people were shocked because the leaders of the community showed the task force the exact location of John Togo’s abandoned camp, which is about three kilometres from the town, yet, they bombarded innocent citizens under the guise of looking for Togo.

“If men of the JTF who are armed to tooth can’t capture John Togo, who are we to do that. As at present, many of our people are displaced and are in the mangrove forest wallowing without direction. That is why we are calling on the Federal Government to call the JTF to stop further attacks on the community because at present over 60 persons have lost their lives and about 40 houses razed down”, they said.

Reports from Ayakoromor said many people were still trapped in the forest and may die if they were not urgently rescued and given proper medical attention.

However, JTF spokesman said the task force did not attack any community as had been speculated, saying the soldiers only took over militant camps and were in search of John Togo, whose photographs were everywhere and would not be mistaken for villagers.

The councilor representing Ogodobiri  community in Bomadi local government legislature, Hon. Geofrey Dibofa told Vanguard on phone, yesterday, that information  available to him indicated that the JTF was planning to attack the community and called on the commander of the task force, Brigadier_General Charles Omoregie to restrict his soldiers to John_Togo and his NDLF fighters.

The paramount ruler of Obotebe Kingdom, HRM, S. O Akenotubo, the Ebenanaowei of Obotebe kingdom, Burutu Local Government Area, Delta state also  appealed to the JTF to exclude Obotebe from the ongoing feud with John Togo, saying the his town had  nothing to do with habouring of militants.

The royal father, who made the appeal, Thursday at his Warri residence, said the appeal was necessitated by the rumor making the round that the JTF would storm Obotebe soon to fetch out indigenes of Ayakoromor that had fled their for safety.

“Obotebe is a peace loving kingdom and our people are scared of a perceived JTF invasion which might lead to death of innocent indigenes. The appeal is also necessary because we share a common boundary with Ayakoromor and innocent people who are afraid of the gun duel took refuge in Obotebe and it is now been rumored that we are hiding criminals. There is no militant in Obotebe because all the militants have already embraced the ongoing federal government amnesty programme and we are all aware of it,” he said.

The monarch, while condemning the wanton destruction of the community by the JTF appealed to all militants to accept the ongoing Federal Government amnesty programme to enable peace reign in the Niger Delta.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by sochan: 3:55pm On Dec 03, 2010
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Nsiman(m): 3:57pm On Dec 03, 2010
@ omo tier 1, u will be in ur office and N'deltans will be in the polluted waters fishing death poisoned fish?
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by babsmii(m): 3:59pm On Dec 03, 2010
^^^ @lwise, even the SUN  publish ridiculous news and inflates figues when it comes to casualties, so y are u surprised?
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by jamesugo: 4:09pm On Dec 03, 2010
Fine.Let the violence continue Till all bad is gone.
but it's sad for an innocent soul to die in the act.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by angry9ja: 4:24pm On Dec 03, 2010
It is sad that Nigerian soldiers are carrying out these atrocities on the Niger Delta with instruction from Jonathan. Now the dye is cast . These methods of killing men a women and children and the elderly are very counter productive.

The jtf have relatives and they have children. They have violated every code of decency by this act. Every body in the Niger Delta is a militant. Let us begin to defend ourselves agianst these thieving rulers. We must be ready to stand up to an army that will go to this extent of brutality.

People in the Niger delta should start a guerrilla style method to defend themselves from these assaults. If IRAG can hold America with all its smarts bomb to a stand still for 10 years we can surely destroy a rag tag military like the jtf. This is our God given terrain.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Pappij: 4:43pm On Dec 03, 2010
Beaf:

What a funny person. Clear your eyes well, because you are both blind and morally crippled.

U definitely are an irritation. The news did broke yesterday on this, my point is the actual link sighted by the OP is flawed since the dates do not tally.

Since you are interested in listening to some gory naija tale, fresh crisis are up again in plateau as 8 persons are confirmed dead, details are still sketchy and details will be available shortly, akpaamu
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Tugbaski: 4:49pm On Dec 03, 2010
Alxmyr:

Thank You. You made a very good point. Dint the CDS warn people to leave before the operation? I morn the loss of life , but This criminality must stop and if the only way to stop is military action, then so be it. Any responsible government will quell any insurgence that tries to put the nation at a standstill. I think the govt have been patient enough. If care is not taking, the different elasticities in Nigeria would take up arms too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Was A Better Leader Than Obasanjo - El-Rufai / FG Summons Turkish Ambassador Over Detention Of Nigerian Students / Marketers Ask Nigerians To Stop Panic Buying As Fuel Queues Return

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.