Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,935 members, 7,803,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? (9231 Views)

Boko Haram Dumping Pits Discovered By Army During Clearance Operation - Graphic / Man Beaten By Army Cadets For Complimenting A Female Cadet Recounts His Ordeal / Photo Of Fela In Bandages After Severe Beating By Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 04, 2010
In all that I've read about this incident here and elsewhere, I've seen no reliable, independent verification of the claim that 150 civilians were killed in this attack by the Nigerian military.

If no one can actually confirm THIS, then much of what we're debating here is, quite frankly, useless.

And no, the claim made  by a member of an NGO human rights group does NOT constitute reliable, independent evidence.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by igboboy1(m): 8:32pm On Dec 04, 2010
Unfortunately this is a fight the Niger Delta Can't win Because 95% of the people talk but dont act especially our leaders, thats why I duff my Hat for the Ijaw boys (not Ijaw leaders).

If Bini, Urhobo, Isoko, Igbo, Efik, Ibibio, Anang, Itsekiri, Eshan, Ogoni, etc support our Ijaw brothers the Fed Govt has no choice but to negotiate in fairness with the region.

Well I guess the Ijaw and the non-Ijaw groups in the Niger Delta have themselves to blame for any lack of progress in getting their God given right.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by jamace(m): 9:13pm On Dec 04, 2010
Unfortunately this is a fight the Niger Delta Can't win Because 95% of the people talk but dont act especially our leaders, thats why I duff my Hat for the Ijaw boys (not Ijaw leaders).

If Bini, Urhobo, Isoko, Igbo, Efik, Ibibio, Anang, Itsekiri, Eshan, Ogoni, etc support our Ijaw brothers the Fed Govt has no choice but to negotiate in fairness with the region.[/b]Well I guess the Ijaw and the non-Ijaw groups in the Niger Delta have themselves to blame for any lack of progress in getting their God given right.

Are you saying the govt is not [b]fair
to the region? Please, expatiate on the form of negotiation necessary to show fairness to the region.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by igboboy1(m): 12:59pm On Dec 05, 2010
jamace:

Are you saying the govt is not fair to the region? Please, expatiate on the form of negotiation necessary to show fairness to the region.

yes o thats what I am saying. In all aspect the fed govt is not fair in its dealing with the People of the Niger delta. for example:

1. the use of excessive military force is not warranted in civillian areas. Why dont they have a permanent JTF in areas where Boko haram are active and rather than being reactive (only attacking when Boko haram strikes) they should be proactive as they are in the niger delta and go into the villages and towns of these boko haram members.

2. The fed govt has the power to make foreign oil companies clean up their mess, hire more locals and carry out more persecution of oil execs, and members of govt involved in illicit activities.

3. well this one is not the fault of the past and present civilian govt in the past 11yrs, however all those plot of oil blocs sold to members of the military juntas should be returned.

4. See small oil BP spilled off the coast of Louisiana dem hear nweee from U.S govt, this has been going on the ND for decades and yet the govt turns a blind eye as long as they get their cut/bribe from the corporations.

5. The east west road we have been hearing from minister daggash na just talk? You might say ah ah na only ND get bad roads, well boys for this side no dey smile plus dem get easy access to gun (an idle mind is the devils workshop), use this boys restlessness and youth for good things such as the accomplishment of the road project.

6. We don hear promises over promises towards this region, either the fed govt act or stop promising cos talk is cheap
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SegzyJoe(m): 2:07pm On Dec 05, 2010
@post

Until Nigerians decides to resist evil under whatever name it is being called whether militancy or armed robber, the people that harbours such criminal elements in their community will continue to suffer collateral damage in the hands of law enforcement agents and the armed forces. If you know a militant hide-out or camps where evil is being perpetrated and the entire community dey sidon look as if nothing happened, then it is to their peril. There is no government that will open its eyes and allowed criminal elements to wrestle power away from the state. It is the responsibility of every community to ensure that they are not at cross purposes with government efforts at stamping out militancy and criminal activities of a few idiots.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Faeb: 2:14pm On Dec 05, 2010
^
Oga, I'm sure you still haven't heard that it was the community that pointed out John Togo's camp to JTF. Why una no de read before talking sef? angry
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Ikomi(m): 3:28pm On Dec 05, 2010
SegzyJoe:

@post

Until Nigerians decides to resist evil under whatever name it is being called whether militancy or armed robber, the people that harbours such criminal elements in their community will continue to suffer collateral damage in the hands of law enforcement agents and the armed forces. If you know a militant hide-out or camps where evil is being perpetrated and the entire community dey sidon look as if nothing happened, then it is to their peril. There is no government that will open its eyes and allowed criminal elements to wrestle power away from the state. It is the responsibility of every community to ensure that they are not at cross purposes with government efforts at stamping out militancy and criminal activities of a few idiots.

These are the words of one with no moral grounds.

Lets take a look at it this way:

If the Military is professional enough, and the army chief had a head on his neck, this would be my suggestion of how to get the region rid of all militants and criminals.

First of all we must differentiate a criminal from a militant.

A militant fights for a course which he believes is right, by using violence, but he does not hide nor cower, he confronts those he thinks have wronged him face to face and allow the justice of military prowess take its course.

A criminal is a thief who cowers among the just and would never come face to face with the authorities unless captured.

What the Nigerian Army was looking for in the creeks of Niger Delta (maybe criminals or militants) I don't know and neither do I support.

What if the operation was well planned such that this area was well cordoned, no soul goes in or out.

The army then calls out for innocent villagers to come out to a particular point where they would be air lifted to a neutral or refugee camp well prepared somewhere in another state, say Osun state.

Ohh yes before you say the criminals or militants might join the innocent to be airlifted out, but two things would have been accomplished, they would not be going out with their arms and they stand a risk of been pointed out by the neutral villagers.

After this warning has been made whereby a period of time is given to allow for this process, then whoever is left in this cordoned area is either a criminal, a militant or a criminal/militant sympathizer who could be struck by a bullet if the need arises but the principal aim would be to capture these criminals or militants alive to face trial.

Oohh yes before you raise your lazy behind to tell me it would be a painful and expensive exercise, let me remind you that every life in that country is worth more than the billions your leaders throw about enriching themselves, otherwise there would be no Nigeria without Nigerians and there would be no nation or person for the corrupt leaders to Govern. Without subjects there is no Governor, plain and simple.

This might not be the best way to go about it, there would be better suggestions that might actually reduce the loss of innocent lives to zero, but to walk in to this creek or jungle perharps village, and mow everyone down, including innocent chickens just because some disgruntled elements has chossen the place as a hide out or base, is simply unprofessional.

The army chief should answer to this, the commander in chief should strongly investigate the situation and come out with reasonable answers, otherwise both of them are not fit for their jobs.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 05, 2010
Before the raid, an ultimatum was given to the civilians living in the creeks to leave. It was after that the raid started.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by igboboy1(m): 10:40pm On Dec 05, 2010
koastar:

Before the raid, an ultimatum was given to the civilians living in the creeks to leave. It was after that the raid started.
una just dey talk wetin una no know, who tell u say that the civillians live in the creek? They live in their villages o, na the freedom fighters dey operate from the creek, Highest the civilians might pass the creek in their daily commute but they dont live there EINSTEIN
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Ikomi(m): 11:25pm On Dec 05, 2010
koastar:

An ultimatum was given to them to leave and go where? Your house I believe.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by xoxogg(f): 7:56am On Dec 06, 2010
lwise :
WE HAVE MANY UNPATRIOTIC NIGERIANS ON THIS FORUM

CLICK ON THE LINK OF THE ARTICLE IN QUESTION,
THAT NEWS IS DATED DEC 2008,
THAT MEANS THE ADMIN,THE MODERATORS ARE NOT DOING THIER JOBS
B4 U MAKE A TOPIC APPEARS ON THE HOME PAGE,IT IS BETTER TO INVESTIGATE,
I GUESS THATS THE JOB OF A MODERATOR.

IF YOU CLICK ON THE LINK YOU WILL FIND THIS AT THE TOP

LAGOS, Nigeria, Dec. 3, 2008
Rights Group: Nigerian Military Raid Kills 150
National Troops Hunting Rebel Leader Have Killed Dozens of Civilians in 3 Day Raid, says Human Rights Group

SEUN,I WANT YOU TO BAN THE GUY THAT POSTED THE ARTICLE AND CHANGE THE MODERATORS.
IM WAITING!!!
Omenani :
If anyone read the source, they would have seen that it was dated 2008.

The news is true, Its the mistake of the site, it should have been dated Dec 3, 2010(the day i posted it)  not Dec 3 2008. As @ the time of posting, the heading  didn't even carry the date  it was sorta like----  30 minutes ago.  Besides, theres this amazingly cool sitething called GOOGLE, try using it when next you r in doubt.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Mariory(m): 10:44pm On Dec 06, 2010
An activist who visited Ayakoromo on Friday accompanied by the military has said at least nine people were reported killed and dozens of houses were damaged, including some that were burnt.

Miabiye Kuromiema, president of the Ijaw Youth Council, a rights group in the Niger Delta, said he was seeking to confirm reports of more deaths and that the victims included innocent civilians.

Antigha has said troops in boats returned fire when gang members who had taken refuge in the community shot at them.

He said only small arms fire was used in the raids, with aircraft employed for surveillance, denying claims that heavier weapons were employed.

Antigha blamed the burnt houses on gunfire that he said would have ignited canisters of fuel stored there for generators or boat engines.

The fire would have spread because the fire service was not around to extinguish it, according to Antigha.

The raids targeted John Togo, who authorities say is a leader of a criminal gang responsible for piracy, robberies and rape.

An earlier military statement said the task force facilitated Kuromiema's visit as a show of good faith, which the rights leader confirmed.

Kuromiema said a camp appearing to belong to Togo -- he saw the initials JT written on the outside -- was located "a couple of thousands of metres" away from the community and had been taken over by the military.

There was a major military presence throughout the area, he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101205/wl_africa_afp/nigeriaoilunrestmilitarynewseries;_ylt=AvYcwD.mQyXnRWHi0ynC5yu96Q8F;_ylu=X3oDMTM5YXFlZzRkBGFzc2V0A2FmcC8yMDEwMTIwNS9uaWdlcmlhb2lsdW5yZXN0bWlsaXRhcnluZXdzZXJpZXMEcG9zAzQxBHNlYwN5bl9wYWdpbmF0ZV9zdW1tYXJ5X2xpc3QEc2xrA25pZ2VyaWFubWlsaQ--
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Mariory(m): 10:47pm On Dec 06, 2010
Resurgent unrest in the Niger Delta risks undermining the credibility of President Goodluck Jonathan in the run-up to elections next April and his administration is keen to show he has a grip on criminality there.

He is the first Ijaw head of state and brokered an amnesty with militants last August, which saw thousands of gunmen lay down their weapons and brought more than a year without significant attacks on the oil industry.

Some activists said scores of civilians died in last week's military offensive, which lasted several days, but the Ijaw Youth Council civil rights group, which inspected Ayakoromo after the raids, said nine civilians had died.

The Red Cross said its aid workers had seen about 30 civilians evacuated to a military barracks and others sheltering in primary schools at Ayakoromo. Hundreds of displaced women, in need of food and water after days in the creeks, arrived at the compound of a prominent Ijaw leader in the nearby town of Warri.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101206/wl_nm/us_nigeria_delta
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by kokorodudu(f): 1:27am On Dec 07, 2010
IMHO - I think Jonathan is off to a slippery slope. He doesn't have what it takes to handle his end talk less of Nigeria. I wish him goodluck,
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by otokx(m): 8:42am On Dec 07, 2010
Did they capture the John Togo? If not then their mission was a failure as the destruction and violence wrought on those civilian population is all to no avail.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by wazobiang: 9:13am On Dec 07, 2010
evil govt
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by lordvamon(m): 12:08pm On Dec 07, 2010
sources!!!!!111111 grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by tunde121oke: 7:38pm On Dec 07, 2010
our population don reduce kool
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 15, 2010
igbo boy:

una just dey talk wetin una no know, who tell u say that the civillians live in the creek? They live in their villages o, na the freedom fighters dey operate from the creek, Highest the civilians might pass the creek in their daily commute but they dont live there EINSTEIN
Ikomi:

An ultimatum was given to them to leave and go where? Your house I believe.

So, you don't know your brothers live around the creeks? embarassed You need to visit some of the places to comfirm how deterioted live is in the creek. Because we live in the city does not mean some people do not live on water in the creeks. What I said was true that an ultimatum was given to the civilians staying around the creeks to vacate the place in order not to kill innocent people.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by igboboy1(m): 8:24pm On Dec 18, 2010
koastar:

So, you don't know your brothers live around the creeks? embarassed You need to visit some of the places to comfirm how deterioted live is in the creek. Because we live in the city does not mean some people do not live on water in the creeks. What I said was true that an ultimatum was given to the civilians staying around the creeks to vacate the place in order not to kill innocent people.

Guy u just dey for city dey yan OP,
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 19, 2010
igbo boy:

Guy u just dey for city dey yan OP,
If you have not been to the creeks before let me give you some suggestions. Go to Kolavar (also known as Kola) in Rivers state or Olobiri in Bayelsa state then, you will know how a creek looks like mor.on

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos / Kachikwu: Subsidy Removal To Save N16.4bn Monthly For Govt / Attention Seun And Whoever It May Concern.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.