Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? (9236 Views)

Boko Haram Dumping Pits Discovered By Army During Clearance Operation - Graphic / Man Beaten By Army Cadets For Complimenting A Female Cadet Recounts His Ordeal / Photo Of Fela In Bandages After Severe Beating By Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Ikomi(m): 11:01am On Dec 03, 2010
Nigerian military attack in oil-rich delta kills as many as 150 people, human rights activist says

More info please.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by lordvamon(m): 11:18am On Dec 03, 2010
nice cry cry cry
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by xoxogg(f): 11:25am On Dec 03, 2010
AP)  A Nigerian military attack using heavily armed soldiers and aerial bombing runs has killed as many as 150 people in the oil-rich southern delta, a human rights activist said Friday.

Oghebejabor Ikim, national coordinator for the Forum of Justice and Human Rights Defense, told The Associated Press civilians have suffered a heavy toll in the military operation that began Wednesday. He did not say how many of the 150 dead were civilians, but said militants left the area before the offensive began.

The attacks on a village in the Niger Delta continued Friday as the military tried to kill or capture a militant called John Togo who officials said gave up on a government-sponsored amnesty program. The amnesty program for militants brought an uneasy calm to a region vital to U.S. oil supplies, which is now threatened by new militant attacks and government offensives that put civilians at risk.

"I can describe it as a killing spree of innocent civilians," Ikim said. "Houses have been burnt. Women are raped. There are killings. Is that how to get at John Togo?"

A military spokesman said Friday that the operation was ongoing, but declined to comment further. The military has declined to offer a death toll for the operation targeting the village of Ayakoromo and surrounding communities.

An independent assessment of the damage and casualties from the attack has yet to be done. The Nigerian Red Cross and other activists have been unable to reach the targeted communities as the military has sealed off the winding muddy creeks that lead to the region. Activists say they continue to see smoke rising from the area and can hear gunfire.

Video aired Thursday afternoon on the state-run Nigerian Television Authority showed soldiers in flak jackets and helmets traveling by boat through the muddy creeks. The network also showed images of what appeared to be suspected militants in custody and of a soldier setting a hut ablaze with a lighter.

Lt. Col. Timothy Antigha, a military spokesman, previously said soldiers recovered anti-aircraft guns, rocket-propelled grenades, automatic rifles and dynamite from the three camps targeted in the attack.

However, it appears that soldiers have yet to apprehend Togo. Casely Omon-Irabor, a lawyer representing Togo, said Friday that the militant and his fighters were "far away in the high seas" and not in the region being attacked. The lawyer said the government had planned a meeting to negotiate a settlement with Togo, but instead launched a military operation against him.

"I do not see any reason why we are calling for truce and trying to get peace and yet a party for that peace has breached that agreement and gone into war again in the creeks," Omon-Irabor told the AP.

Militants in the Niger Delta have attacked pipelines, kidnapped petroleum company employees and fought government troops since an insurgency began in 2006. The attacks cut drastically into crude production in Nigeria, an OPEC-member nation that is one of the top suppliers of crude oil to the U.S. Production has risen back to 2.2 million barrels of oil a day, in part because many militant leaders and fighters accepted the amnesty deal.

But not all have been pacified. The main militant group in the region, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, has promised to carry out new attacks after claiming responsibility for kidnapping seven expatriate workers in November from offshore oil rigs operated by London-based Afren PLC and Exxon Mobil Corp. The group, known by the acronym MEND, also claimed a dual car bombing that killed at least 12 people and wounded dozens more during an Oct. 1 independence celebration in Nigeria's capital, Abuja. .

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/03/world/main7113071.shtml
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by xoxogg(f): 11:32am On Dec 03, 2010
Houses have been burnt. Women are despoiled. There are killings. Is that how to get at John Togo?

The ever-tactless  trigger-happy nigerian military at it again sad sad
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Beaf: 11:33am On Dec 03, 2010
Some of the JTF actions were totally beyond the pale. It is on record that the villagers pointed out the exact location John Togo's camp to JTF (some 3 kilometres from the innocent village JTF attacked). Its hard to tell if some of these soldiers are bloody daft, heads must roll.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SapeleGuy: 11:47am On Dec 03, 2010
^^^ Bros, heads will not roll - nothing go happen, the military are only carrying out the orders of the commander in chief.

Violence will not and can not solve the Niger Delta issue. Neither will an Amnesty or Niger Delta Ministry.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Beaf: 12:02pm On Dec 03, 2010
^
I believe we must press for heads to roll, regardless of whose ox is gored. Human life isn't toilet roll.
John Togo is a known armed robber, but that does not mean that innocent lives be wasted in his pursuit.

On the resolution of the Niger Delta crisis, I am 100% in agreement with you. The so called amnesty paid off both genuine militants and opportunistic criminals, in any event, it was a short term and shortsighted strategy; concrete steps now need to be taken.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by xoxogg(f): 12:12pm On Dec 03, 2010
Beaf:

On the resolution of the Niger Delta crisis, I am 100% in agreement with you. The so called amnesty paid off both genuine militants and opportunistic criminals, in any event, it was a short term and shortsighted strategy; concrete steps now need to be taken.
i disagree, the amnesty/Niger delta ministry is been mismanaged which is why wole soyinka disassociated from it , with better management, its prospects would be unlimited.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by sochan: 12:12pm On Dec 03, 2010
@Oga Beaf,

I hope you will be waking up your uncle to tell him exactly what you have said here.

I am with Sapeleguy on this one. The tactics being employed by the Goverment is not the right one. neither Amnesty ot violence would work. We must device a new approach to sort this problem out, once and for all.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by nduchucks: 12:15pm On Dec 03, 2010
Beaf:

^
I believe we must press for heads to roll, regardless of whose ox is gored. Human life isn't toilet roll.
John Togo is a known armed robber, but that does not mean that innocent lives be wasted in his pursuit.

Lets hope you understand that the buck stops with GEJ. If heads must roll, lets hope you can honestly and for once, declare that your uncle GEJ is mishandling the situation.  

Also note that the long term solution you alluded to, cannot be implemented if the region remains infested with criminals including MEND, who continue to terrorize all and sundry. The millitary needs several major operations to rid the area of these criminals before any lasting political solution can be implemented. Blame your fellow millitant thugs for unfortunate collateral damages.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Abagworo(m): 12:25pm On Dec 03, 2010
Hehehehe.Beaf has finally been brought to his knees.I look forward to another twist and his justification of killing civilians.You see what I have been arguing with you all along that the only solution is either all inclusive amnesty or all inclusive punishment.You cannot give free Abuja houses and oil wells to the criminals that fought on your side and sentence other criminals to death.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SapeleGuy: 12:33pm On Dec 03, 2010
There is a plan to perpetuate instability in the state to keep PDP in power and relevant in the south south.  If they lose Delta State (and they will) they are finished, unfortunately this is only the beginning.

Okerenkoko, Gbaramatu, Oporoza and now Ayakoromo have all had the new equipment tested on them. Wetin?
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Adonike(m): 12:34pm On Dec 03, 2010
I strongly believe- 'heads m
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SapeleGuy: 12:36pm On Dec 03, 2010
Why is GEJ bombing innocent Izon people in Delta State?
Why is EK Clark quiet
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Beaf: 1:06pm On Dec 03, 2010
Abagworo:

Hehehehe.Beaf has finally been brought to his knees.I look forward to another twist and his justification of killing civilians.You see what I have been arguing with you all along that the only solution is either all inclusive amnesty or all inclusive punishment.You cannot give free Abuja houses and oil wells to the criminals that fought on your side and sentence other criminals to death.

So lives are lost and you laugh? Do you have a soul of any description? Shame on you.

As usual, you are talking stup!dly. If you are too mentally light and morally bankrupt to contribute meaningfully  to a topic of such gravity, I suggest you just walk on by. You are spitting on flesh and blood.
The problems of the ND existed before Yar Adua's amnesty sham. The so called amnesty did not cause the problem, so what sort shallow logic are you importing?
Not only are you illogical, you have used the opportunity to broadcast evil lies, which ex-militants have been given Abuja houses and oil wells? The funny thing is you will be the loudest in church on Sunday.

Please respect yourself.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Ikomi(m): 1:12pm On Dec 03, 2010
Beaf:

but that does not mean that innocent lives be wasted in his pursuit.

I do not know and don't care how the Niger Delta issue would be resolved, but the waste of innocent lives is not acceptable. It just goes to show the lack of tact and value for life among leaders and army chiefs.

These people are practically shameless and yet they call themselves professionals.

It is the loss of Nigerian lives in the hands of those who should protect Nigerian lives (the army) that drew me to the story.

These people are completely useless.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by sochan: 1:15pm On Dec 03, 2010
Listen guys there is a fundamental failure in approach. using the military to flush these guys out is only going to lead to this sort of colleteral damage. the problem here is did GEJ realise that before authorising this operation?

I am sincerely opposed to using force in this way, expecially when it is directed at your own people. I know a lot of people have been calling for this, but the Niger Delta issue is far more complex than a lot of us understand.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by nduchucks: 1:18pm On Dec 03, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Why is GEJ bombing innocent Izon people in Delta State?
Why is EK Clark quiet

It is unfortunate that innocent people who may be harbouring criminal terrorists become fair game in war operations. You people need to show overwhelming opposition towards the criminal terrorists parading themselves as freedom fighters. Help the federal government to get rid of them.

Its time to take the cause of the ND people to the political arena where it belongs, afterall GEJ is from the area. These MEND thugs and other criminals are quite s.tupid.  This is the time to work with GEJ for the betterment of the whole region.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by sochan: 1:20pm On Dec 03, 2010
@Ikomi,

But this isnt new. innocent lives are lost everyday in the hands of police arent they? It is just another visual representation of the true state of our country. shame but true

Were innocent lives not lost in Jos with the army meant to be watching things? i wonder why anyone would be under the illusion that the army would be any different from the police or the NASS members, or the criminals or vern the politicians.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Beaf: 1:22pm On Dec 03, 2010
ndu_chucks:

It is unfortunate that innocent people who may be harbouring criminal terrorists become fair game in war operations. You people need to show overwhelming opposition towards the criminal terrorists parading themselves as freedom fighters. Help the federal government to get rid of them.

Its time to take the cause of the ND people to the political arena where it belongs, afterall GEJ is from the area. These MEND thugs and other criminals are quite s.tupid. This is the time to work with GEJ for the betterment of the whole region.

Are you deaf to hear that the villagers pointed out John Togo's camp? Why not raise a rostrum on the bodies of the dead and campaign from there?
There is nobody supporting anyone claiming to by fighting at this time. And for your information, John Togo is not in the defunct MEND and neither does he claim it, so why introducing falsehoods on the sly?
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Ikomi(m): 1:24pm On Dec 03, 2010
sochan:

@Ikomi,

But this isnt new. innocent lives are lost everyday in the hands of police arent they? It is just another visual representation of the true state of our country. shame but true

Were innocent lives not lost in Jos with the army meant to be watching things? i wonder why anyone would be under the illusion that the army would be any different from the police or the NASS members, or the criminals or vern the politicians.

Well I strongly hope you hold the same opinion of working strongly with GEJ to use the armed forces in killing innocent people if your own relatives were involved.

Criminals would always hide amongst civilians, you know why, cause criminals are cowards.

Then it is the job of the army to show bravery and professionalism in carefully sifting out the criminals, while saving lives.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SapeleGuy: 1:27pm On Dec 03, 2010
Ndu_chucks you are deliberately obfuscating this matter.

I have always maintained that Niger Delta does not need amnesty, neither does it need NDDC, these are all avenues for stealing. Why set up another ministry when the ones we have don't work, by what miraculous act is the Niger Delta ministry going to work?

Enough of all this chicanery:

Just open up our airports
Just open up our seaports
Just open up Tinapa
Just open up our free trade zones.
Just clean up the environmental damage

These are just some of the things a president who cares, can solve with the stroke of a pen. The fact that they have not done so is testament to their insincerity of purpose.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by aljharem(m): 1:27pm On Dec 03, 2010
Beaf:

Are you deaf to hear that the villagers pointed out John Togo's camp? Why not raise a rostrum on the bodies of the dead and campaign from there?
There is nobody supporting anyone claiming to by fighting at this time. And for your information, John Togo is not in the defunct MEND and neither does he claim it, so why introducing falsehoods on the sly?

sharrp dia,, mumu  beaf cow mumu
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by sochan: 1:30pm On Dec 03, 2010
@Ikomi,

The ND people are my people, my point being that were we to expect anything different from the Army? they have done this in the past have you forgotten? My blame here would lie on him who authorised this operation knowing fully well what the likely consequences would be. The armies record on this sort of operation has never been good.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SapeleGuy: 1:33pm On Dec 03, 2010
sochan:

@Ikomi,

The ND people are my people, my point being that were we to expect anything different from the Army? they have done this in the past have you forgotten? My blame here would lie on him who authorised this operation knowing fully well what the likely consequences would be. The armies record on this sort of operation has never been good.

Totally on point.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by sochan: 1:33pm On Dec 03, 2010
@Sapeleguy,

I totally agree with you, and also the approach used has been extremely heavy-handed and disproportionate
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Ikomi(m): 1:35pm On Dec 03, 2010
sochan:

@Ikomi,

If what you are saying is that the army has once again shown its lack of tact and utmost discipline, championed by the Commander in Chief (in this case GEJ), then we are on the same track.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by sochan: 1:40pm On Dec 03, 2010
@Ikomi,

we are in the same track. But my point is, what whoever auhtorised this operation expecting a different outcome with the track record of the Army?

And also i do not accept that the millitary approach was the best option.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 03, 2010
How did Yaradua's Amnesty Programme die with the good man? The amnesty was laudable, if not for any other thing, it relegated violence to the back seat.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SapeleGuy: 1:52pm On Dec 03, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Its time to take the cause of the ND people to the [b]political arena [/b]where it belongs, afterall GEJ is from the area. These MEND thugs and other criminals are quite s.tupid.

No be today our matter dey political table, the problem is that some people are afraid of fiscal federalism, these parasitic criminals will not even sit at the table for a sovereign national conference. What are they afraid of?

We are now in December as is customary, I am sure the gas flaring deadline will be extended yet again.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by SapeleGuy: 1:55pm On Dec 03, 2010
jabbok:

How did Yaradua's Amnesty Programme die with the good man? The amnesty was laudable, if not for any other thing, it relegated violence to the back seat.

The amnesty was a monumental failure and fraud. Show me anywhere in the constitution where the President can give Amnesty? When people promote illegality and 'anywhere bele face' politics this what happens.
Re: Niger Delta: Up To 150 Killed By Army? by tkb417(m): 1:56pm On Dec 03, 2010
I don't know which produces the highest criminals per day

Colombia or Niger Delta region

Who on mother earth is John Cotonou?

Now someone will come and tell me that's not his real name- but who will give birth to a child and name him John Togo?

So, can't the JTF go to the highsea and murder this John foool?

Murafckers!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Was A Better Leader Than Obasanjo - El-Rufai / FB Terms:busting The Lies Peddled By Biafraudexposed and educating the public. / 2019: Do You Have Your PVCs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.