Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,017 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics (32333 Views)

Eko Atlantic City (updates) / See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) / Africa's Most Beautiful City In Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 08, 2010
Kobojunkie said:

You must be very proud of yourself there. Now you are not only denying your own handiwork on here, but also playing the MARTYR ?? ROFLMAO!! Clap for yourself!

Well, I make no pretensions to being a matyr.

I do love my people though.  grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Kobojunkie: 8:23am On Dec 08, 2010
sure you do! grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 8:37am On Dec 08, 2010
4real. 2much in fact.  grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 08, 2010
Was a proper EIA done?

Victoria Island, a natural island is under threat of the Atlantic and you want to expand the problem?

Why can't the Isale Eko axis of the island and even parts of the mainland like Yaba and Ebute Meta be developed for this purpose.

For me, I think we are only increasing the potential for disaster
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 08, 2010
dappssee, for such a huge project there would have been major environmental impact assessment done.

I'm no geological expert, but I don't foresee major problems in that area, apart from possible damage caused by a global flood of biblical proportions.  undecided
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by johnie: 9:09am On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

I wondered about the impact of this project on the shoreline. Looks like it will actually help protect Victoria Island from climate change; they are building a seawall and have used computer simulations to estimate its effectiveness. Following video is pretty long (6 min), but pretty good:

I have also wondered what the environmental impact of this project would be on settlements further down the coastline specifically along the Lekki corridor.

With the proposed embankment, Victoria Island should be protected from sea surge and other similar threats but won't this result in more frequent and more significant impact of surges to the lekki peninsular.  If due care is not taken, the peninsular could be reduced to a string of islets or atolls.

I know the state govenment has talked about commissioning a study of the shoreline (from Badagry to Epe) [https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-367311.352.html#msg6516424] which I think is commendable but I am eager to know the result of the study and the consequent  action plan to protect the shoreline.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by babapupa: 9:11am On Dec 08, 2010
Kobojunkie:

As usual, blame YOUR OWN THINKING, and LOW SELF ESTEEM  on someone else. Classic @ROSSIKE. Abegi go siddon somewhere.

Na you post am for Nairaland say Eko Atlantic is Nigeria's Answer to New York ooo . . . no BRITISH website did that, you did! Own your own low self-esteem issues oo!! ROFLMAO!!

Ode, what' hope, aiming high and aspirations got to do with low self esteem? Of what good are you if you can not aim high and be like the best, even better than the best?

You really should own your own stupidity

I thought you quit the ignorant silliness.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by DapoBear(m): 9:43am On Dec 08, 2010
johnie:

I have also wondered what the environmental impact of this project would be on settlements further down the coastline specifically along the Lekki corridor.

With the proposed embankment, Victoria Island should be protected from sea surge and other similar threats but won't this result in more frequent and more significant impact of surges to the lekki peninsular.  If due care is not taken, the peninsular could be reduced to a string of islets or atolls.
Why would this happen? The waves will crash on EA's barrier as usual, but rather than carrying away sand and dirt, they'll carry away nothing. Why would this result in more surges elsewhere?

I'm not some sort of ocean scientist, but it doesn't make sense to me why this would happen. You build a barrier in one place for the ocean to crash on, and it causes more activity elsewhere? Seems kind of weird, no?
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 08, 2010
ROSSIKE:

dappssee, for such a huge project there would have been major environmental impact assessment done.

I'm no geological expert, but I don't foresee major problems in that area, apart from possible damage caused by a global flood of biblical proportions. undecided

If you look at the threat to the existing land space with the shoreline going at an average of 2m per year then you will realize that we are developing in the wrong direction. Why build cities on water when you have more than enough land to develop?
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by DapoBear(m): 10:28am On Dec 08, 2010
^-- Part of the point of this is to prevent VI from being consumed by the ocean. The reclaimed land and the big barrier protecting it from the ocean also protect VI.

Of course, since the land is being reclaimed and restored to the condition it was in the late 1800s/early 1900s, we may as well make use of it. Hence EA.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 10:35am On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

^-- Part of the point of this is to prevent VI from being consumed by the ocean. The reclaimed land and the big barrier protecting it from the ocean also protect VI.

Of course, since the land is being reclaimed and restored to the condition it was in the late 1800s/early 1900s, we may as well make use of it. Hence EA.

Dumb assessment! Simple Secondary School Physics should tell you that an object will displace its own volume of water. The reclaimed land will certainly make the water levels rise
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Omolulu(m): 10:42am On Dec 08, 2010
If only I were more graphic than human , I surely would have more hope in the project
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by DapoBear(m): 10:57am On Dec 08, 2010
dappssee:

Dumb assessment! Simple Secondary School Physics should tell you that an object will displace its own volume of water. The reclaimed land will certainly make the water levels rise

The volume of water being displaced will make the entire Atlantic Ocean rise, yes, lol. Hrm, I guess you could calculate how many thousandths of a nanometers (or perhaps millionths? Or heck, trillionths is probably the right scale?) it would cause the Atlantic to rise. Might be an interesting calculation  grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

The volume of water being displaced will make the entire Atlantic Ocean rise, yes, lol. Hrm, I guess you could calculate how many thousandths of a nanometers (or perhaps millionths? Or heck, trillionths is probably the right scale?) it would cause the Atlantic to rise. Might be an interesting calculation grin
Once again very senseless!

The rise in water levels has differential effects on shorelines worldwide.

The Eko Atlantic City is misplaced, misdirected and therefore a mistake. Even if you wanna reclaim land, then next thing you wanna do is put those heavy structures that will lead to compaction?
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by DapoBear(m): 11:09am On Dec 08, 2010
Haba! So then tell me how much the water level will rise locally, o master engineer? And how will it affect the local shoreline? No doubt you've already calculated the "differential effects", eh? Or are you purely speculating?

And you know more than the Dutch experts they hired when doing this project? Who did extensive simulations, and have been reclaiming land from the ocean for literally hundreds of years?

Please, teach us. I'll email a copy of your teachings to them so they can learn and fix their no doubt poorly designed reclamation projects in the Netherlands, too  tongue
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 11:15am On Dec 08, 2010
I'll spare you cos you're my sake but honestly you need to read more and analyze critically
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by DapoBear(m): 11:26am On Dec 08, 2010
Honestly, it would be useful for everyone involved if you could discuss these issues. I'm not the only one who wants to know. Share your expertise; any embarrassment I get from the result won't kill me grin
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Orikinla(m): 11:40am On Dec 08, 2010
I have been to the future and it is very bright.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by TippyTop(m): 11:54am On Dec 08, 2010
@dappssee
DapoBear:

Honestly, it would be useful for everyone involved if you could discuss these issues. I'm not the only one who wants to know. Share your expertise; any embarrassment I get from the result won't kill me  grin

We're all waiting?

PEACE OUT!!!
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by johnie: 12:11pm On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

Why would this happen? The waves will crash on EA's barrier as usual, but rather than carrying away sand and dirt, they'll carry away nothing. Why would this result in more surges elsewhere?

I'm not some sort of ocean scientist, but it doesn't make sense to me why this would happen. You build a barrier in one place for the ocean to crash on, and it causes more activity elsewhere? Seems kind of weird, no?

A chain is as strong as its weakest link. Strengthening some parts of the chain (fortifying EA) will only put more strain on the other parts of the chain (other parts of the shoreline). When the surge comes to EA and meets strong resistance, is bound to ripple down to the weaker portions of the shoreline putting even greater strain on these parts than before.

Funny, I learnt this from playing with sand and water as a kid wink
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Kobojunkie: 12:55pm On Dec 08, 2010
dappssee:

Once again very senseless!

The rise in water levels has differential effects on shorelines worldwide.

The Eko Atlantic City is misplaced, misdirected and therefore a mistake. Even if you wanna reclaim land, then next thing you wanna do is put those heavy structures that will lead to compaction?

Even though it is wholly private?
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Reference(m): 1:08pm On Dec 08, 2010
I have no doubt it can be done. Its been done in the UAE and just next door in Lekki. The question remains for how long will it last. Everyone knows ALL island nations face the challenge of ocean level rises between 15 to 30 metres over the next 50 to 100 years. JUST HOW HIGH IS EKO ATLANTIC. No doubt most parts of Lekki have no long term future. In Eko Atlantic have these challenges been addressed. This is pertinent because heavy engineering is very, very difficult and improbably expensive to rectify once established.

My second question is access. Eko Atlantic will be expensive. And except we expect all Lagosians to move into a certain income bracket by the time this island is completed you will still have people pushing in the opposite direction - Ogun state while commuting across longer distances through more gridlock to work and serve the elite on this new island. I know some will say - fourth mainland bridge but consider that the Lekki corridor is growing, this may offer only temporary reprieve when completed. What plan does EKO ATLANTIC have for independent access from the mainland. I would not even speak of internal/city transportation, ecology, power and so on. Someone mentioned taxi drivers. I laugh. Why not add area boys to the mix. I hope it can do better after-all its a private initiative. Why not lay the foundations right away for real mass transit and legislate vehicular traffic to no more than 20% of the populated area.

Anyway good job. Hope for many more such projects. At least someone is thinking and acting. When you see Abuja gradually degenerating into a slum you come to understand that great development ideas and moves are best made by the private sector if and only if the Government creates the enabling environment. How I wish this can be replicated in the Niger-Delta where REAL investors seek to put their money in rather than exploit the land and people and take everything out.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by audio: 1:41pm On Dec 08, 2010
Reference:

I have no doubt it can be done. Its been done in the UAE and just next door in Lekki. The question remains for how long will it last. Everyone knows ALL island nations face the challenge of ocean level rises between 15 to 30 metres over the next 50 to 100 years. JUST HOW HIGH IS EKO ATLANTIC. No doubt most parts of Lekki have no long term future. In Eko Atlantic have these challenges been addressed. This is pertinent because heavy engineering is very, very difficult and improbably expensive to rectify once established.

My second question is access. Eko Atlantic will be expensive. And except we expect all Lagosians to move into a certain income bracket by the time this island is completed you will still have people pushing in the opposite direction - Ogun state while commuting across longer distances through more gridlock to work and serve the elite on this new island. I know some will say - fourth mainland bridge but consider that the Lekki corridor is growing, this may offer only temporary reprieve when completed. What plan does EKO ATLANTIC have for independent access from the mainland. I would not even speak of internal/city transportation, ecology, power and so on. Someone mentioned taxi drivers. I laugh. Why not add area boys to the mix. I hope it can do better after-all its a private initiative. Why not lay the foundations right away for real mass transit and legislate vehicular traffic to no more than 20% of the populated area.

Anyway good job. Hope for many more such projects. At least someone is thinking and acting. When you see Abuja gradually degenerating into a slum you come to understand that great development ideas and moves are best made by the private sector if and only if the Government creates the enabling environment. How I wish this can be replicated in the Niger-Delta where REAL investors seek to put their money in rather than exploit the land and people and take everything out.

What an excellent comment. Thoughtful and progressive. You be correct guy. If only people like you were in Government running the country, i guarantee things will be better.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by AjanleKoko: 1:57pm On Dec 08, 2010
The project is a farce, a major white elephant, and a Fantasy of the Bourgeois. It's definitely one thing we don't need to blow money away on.

It sounded nice at the beginning, but now, even looking at what has been done so far (I was sailing in that area over the weekend), none of this makes any sense. It's just some capital-gulping project that is irrelevant at this time.

This is one Fashola project that makes no sense at this time. The Lekki Airports, EPZ/FTZ, industrial districts, all of those make sense, but not this one. I don't exactly see what this is meant to achieve, especially as there are massive tracts of undeveloped land on the Lekki/Epe corridor, and that same corridor is suffering from lack of basic infrastructure. If they spent a fraction of this money to provide good road networks, good drainage, electricity, in the Ibeju-Lekki area, the economic impact would be immediate.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by ladi02(m): 2:01pm On Dec 08, 2010
Eko Atlantic, good idea. . .but will be more expensive than abuja in my opinion. .must start working to secure an office for my company there grin

I just hope atlantic ocean will not vex one day shocked
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Kennyblues(m): 2:22pm On Dec 08, 2010
My dream state
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by UNLEASHED(m): 2:24pm On Dec 08, 2010
It's my birthday, an angel came to me and asked me to make a wish. . . just one! I told the angel "I wish the pictures posted are just more than 3D!!"
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Mobinga: 3:04pm On Dec 08, 2010
Bullshit!
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Nobody: 3:22pm On Dec 08, 2010
The project is a farce, a major white elephant, and a Fantasy of the Bourgeois. It's definitely one thing we don't need to blow money away on.

It sounded nice at the beginning, but now, even looking at what has been done so far (I was sailing in that area over the weekend), none of this makes any sense. It's just some capital-gulping project that is irrelevant at this time.

This is one Fashola project that makes no sense at this time. The Lekki Airports, EPZ/FTZ, industrial districts, all of those make sense, but not this one. I don't exactly see what this is meant to achieve, especially as there are massive tracts of undeveloped land on the Lekki/Epe corridor, and that same corridor is suffering from lack of basic infrastructure. If they spent a fraction of this money to provide good road networks, good drainage, electricity, in the Ibeju-Lekki area, the economic impact would be immediate.

Its a private sponsored project, not a government one and must be commended,
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by Solozzo(m): 3:23pm On Dec 08, 2010
Brillant designs but I think Lagos and Nigeria would benefit more if you use these great talents to design electricity generating schemes and water and sewage disposal ideas of a cost effective nature rather than these ideas that are for the 23rd century Nigeria

I enjoyed the beautiful visual dreams anyway

Great
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by johnie: 3:41pm On Dec 08, 2010
Reference:

No doubt most parts of Lekki have no long term future. In Eko Atlantic have these challenges been addressed. This is pertinent because heavy engineering is very, very difficult and improbably expensive to rectify once established.

I know some will say - fourth mainland bridge but consider that the[b] Lekki corridor is growing[/b], this may offer only temporary reprieve when completed.

How can you say that most parts of Lekki have no long term future and in the same breath say that Lekki will provide some relief?

Shouldn't you be advocating that further development of Lekki should be stopped if the future is so grim?

Kindly expatiate.
Re: Eko Atlantic - Nigeria's Answer To New York In Pics by audio: 4:25pm On Dec 08, 2010
Where is the electricity to power this project going to come from? Or is it Eko Atlantic Generator City?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India / Nigerian Sudying In Dubai What Do You Think / Nigerian Man Running From Thailand Police Dies After Car Knocked Him Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.