Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,254 members, 7,807,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice (2099 Views)

The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff / Massive Bank Job Loss Imminent In 2016 / Torn Between A Msc And A MBA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by mayorde(m): 9:18am On Dec 08, 2010
PLEASE I NEED YOUR ADVICE.

I AM WORKING IN A BANK WITH MY AAT(OND EQUIVALENT) AS A CONTRACT STAFF BUT GAINED ADMISSION TO UNIBEN THROUGH DIRECT ENTRY.

WELL, I AM ALSO A QUALIFIED ACCOUNTANT(ICAN-ACA).

MY QUESTIONS?
DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF ICAN IS ACCEPTED INTO 300 LEVEL IN FEDERAL SCHOOLS?

IF THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION ABOVE IS NO THAT MEANS I HAVE TO START FRM 200 LEVEL

IF YOU WERE IN MY SHOES WHAT WILL YOU DO? OR IF I WERE YOUR BROTHER WHAT WILL YOU ADVICE?
LEAVE A BANK JOB AND GO TO SCHOOL? MY AGE-----WILL BE 23YRS IN TWO DAYS TIME --IS AGE REALLY ON MY SIDE?
MATURED ADVICE NEEDED.

I
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by mayorde(m): 3:05pm On Dec 09, 2010
LET SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING. PLEASE.
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by manie(m): 3:20pm On Dec 09, 2010
mayorde:

PLEASE I NEED YOUR ADVICE.

I AM WORKING IN A BANK WITH MY AAT(OND EQUIVALENT) AS A CONTRACT STAFF BUT GAINED ADMISSION TO UNIBEN THROUGH DIRECT ENTRY.

WELL, I AM ALSO A QUALIFIED ACCOUNTANT(ICAN-ACA).

MY QUESTIONS?
DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF ICAN IS ACCEPTED INTO 300 LEVEL IN FEDERAL SCHOOLS?

IF THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION ABOVE IS NO THAT MEANS I HAVE TO START FRM 200 LEVEL

IF YOU WERE IN MY SHOES WHAT WILL YOU DO? OR IF I WERE YOUR BROTHER WHAT WILL YOU ADVICE?
LEAVE A BANK JOB AND GO TO SCHOOL? MY AGE-----WILL BE 23YRS IN TWO DAYS TIME --IS AGE REALLY ON MY SIDE?
MATURED ADVICE NEEDED.

What if you go for a part time programme in the the University, are you sure if your parents will be ready or capable of financing your education if you go in for a full time programme.
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by manie(m): 3:30pm On Dec 09, 2010
You are an adult, and i believe you know you want for yourself. It will be a bit difficult to combine a banking work with studies.
But if you have sponsors or you have enough reserves to take you through your studies,then i can advice to resign and face your studies and come out in flying colours.
Sorry for asking this question, what course were admitted to study.
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by mayorde(m): 6:52pm On Dec 09, 2010
accounting
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by manie(m): 9:20am On Dec 10, 2010
mayorde:

accounting
Since your are already a chartered accountant, i would have advised you to study another course e.g. Economics, Finance, Business Administration. That will give you the needed diversification and broad based knowledge. This is just a suggestion.

2 Likes

Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by miqos02(m): 11:42am On Dec 10, 2010
why not apply for an online programe and still keep your job. dont forget that uniben is a government uni not a private one and so its not certain u will be tru in four years.
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by GB102(m): 7:14am On Dec 15, 2010
me say stay with ur job since is contract den after d contract move to skul, job no dey ooo guy
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by jahrule: 12:28pm On Dec 15, 2010
oh boy, gp and obtain unilag DLI form. Full time study may not be the bast option if you donot have sponsor. goood luck
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by mayorde(m): 6:27pm On Dec 15, 2010
thanks to you all. still comtemplating
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by tunnytox(m): 10:38pm On Dec 15, 2010
@OP
My sincere advice to you is do not quit your job FOR NOW, look for a degree progam that you can do on part time. Also as an ACA myself I'll advice you to look for job in an Accounting firm, you cannot build your skills, experience and professional competence by doing a contract job which I believe is not more than dealing with cash. You need to start thinking about rescuing your career don't end up like many ACA's who despite their skills are still roaming around the streets with nothing to show for it.

Goodluck
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by BAKAREAAT(m): 6:02pm On Dec 20, 2010
Proffessional colleaq,Goodday to you,
i will advice you if your parents or guardian can assist you ,i will advice you to leave the bank job because you are already one of the youngest chartered accountant and you have time as in you are not yet married but if you are financially handicapped dont deceive yourself just struggle to go for Unilag Part -time programme.dont attend lasu because their results take long time to come out .
I will advice you to think very well and pray about it .
Bye
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by cecegorz(m): 12:53pm On Dec 21, 2010
Let's analyze your situation in order to open up all the options because at the end of the day, you will still be the one to make the call.

Your job in the bank as a contract staff probably could range from note counting to tellering to report generation etc., all of which are dead end routine jobs without pay rise or promotions!
Whatever you are earning now, you will think its big until you get married and start raising a family

You are a chattered accountant, which is great 'pali', but that has no value presently because you are not practicing.
The ACA will have more value when it is backed by a full degree which i believe you can still get on a part time basis, though with a longer time-frame.

Forget about being 23, there are some 30yr olds that are giving thanksgiving today for securing admission at all cool
You didn't mention the proximity of UNIBEN to the city where you work anyway, that can determine if you can combine both.

I will like you to see the big picture, the possibility of getting into a job where you are paid what is fairly commensurate with your work input, you have assured chances  of pay rise and promotions as you your performance ratings increase. All these can only be possible as a graduate employee cool  cool
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by mayorde(m): 12:25am On Mar 14, 2015
Fast forward 4years and some months. Will be rounding up NYSC by July. Graduated best in Department and Faculty. Was it worth quitting the job? Only time can tell

4 Likes

Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by Nobody: 7:00am On Mar 14, 2015
mayorde:
Fast forward 4years and some months. Will be rounding up NYSC by July. Graduated best in Department and Faculty. Was it worth quitting the job? Only time can tell

Wow .... Congratulations brother .....

What course ?

Did u secure d job with ur AAT (after ATS3 ) or it is after qualifying as a chartered acccountant ??

Did u use AAT for ur Direct entry into uniben ?
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by djfiki: 8:41am On Mar 14, 2015
Congrats mayorde.

Good to see a feedback after almost 5 years.

You made the right choice.

Congrats once again!
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by Giannakopoulos(f): 11:41am On Mar 14, 2015
Congratulations OP,very inspiring.
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by sholay2011(m): 12:33pm On Mar 14, 2015
mayorde:
Congrats! The sky is your beginning.

It would be worth it in Jesus name.

It's really nice that you gave a feedback.
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by suzelle: 5:55pm On Mar 14, 2015
The Elite PushCV employee quest is ending soon. Register now at http:///191c7ce5 to be among the over 5000 that will be placed in multinational corporations in Nigeria and abroad.
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by mayorde(m): 6:13pm On Mar 14, 2015
@goodboy2012. Accounting. Got a job with AAT. Did direct entry with AAT

1 Like

Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by joshosem: 9:53am On Mar 16, 2015
mayorde:

Congrat bro. You made the right decision and fought to see it successful. Nobody can gaurantee you job but one thing I can assure you is that you are much more competitive now and worth a lot more than before. Any employer who truly desire success would want you on board.
Best in faculty? Ah, that's a great feat to build your cv on. All the best.
Re: Torn Between Uniben And A Bank Job---please Advice by Nobody: 11:21am On Mar 16, 2015
mayorde:
Wow.. quite inspiring. ... was worth it... now you have AAT, ACA, work experience and awards to back up your degree... You won't stay long in the job market i tell ya..

Thanks for the feedback and all the best smiley

(1) (Reply)

Avoid familiarity In Your Work Place If you Don't Want To Be Fired / Longrich 30billion Team (a Great Career To Build On) / Zenith Bank Lays Off 400 Staffs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.