Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) (7384 Views)

'Oliseh Shuts Enyeama Up, Kicks Him Out Of Camp Today' - Muyiwa Lawal / Sola Aiyepeku Says More Should Be Done For The Nigeria National League... / National League Unveils Names Of 146 Goals Scandal Culprits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by aegibson(m): 6:35am On Dec 10, 2010
http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7972:national-league-kicks-off-sunday&catid=5:sports&Itemid=5

Wednesday, 08 December 2010 00:00 .

The Nigeria National League’s 2010/2011 season will kick off on Sunday with sixteen matches across the two divisions.

At the Draw ceremony held inside the FIFA Technical Centre, Abuja on Tuesday, Jimeta FC of Adamawa was pitched against FC Abuja for the Week 1, with Jigawa Golden Stars to face Wikki Tourists of Bauchi and El-Kanemi Warriors of Maiduguri up against Ranch Bees of Kaduna.

Mighty Jets of Jos are away to Dalhat FC of Kano, FRSC host Jarma of Kano in Abuja and Nasarawa United will visit FC Taraba in Jalingo.

Sportlight of Katsina are home to Babanawa FC and Supreme Court of Abuja host Adamawa United.

Before the draw, NFF’s Assistant Secretary General (Competitions), Dr. Mohammed Sanusi delivered a paper ‘Challenges of Operating Professional League in Nigeria’, positing that the problems of funding, technical and administrative deficiencies, poor facilities and equipment, interference, win-at-all-cost syndrome, ignorance and hooliganism bedevil the domestic game’s second tier.

He however recommended that corporate organizations and well-to-do individuals should take over the teams in the National League, teams should strive to win with fair tactics, officials should not offer or take bribes to influence results, managers of clubs should be honest and accountable and sign-on fees, allowances and salaries of players should be paid as due.

Chairman of the National League, Dr. Shehu Adamu who represented NFF President, Alhaji Aminu Maigari noted that the National League would have started earlier but for previous crisis in the game.
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by aegibson(m): 6:45am On Dec 10, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_National_League

1-A 2010-2011

Abuja FC
Adamawa United F.C., Yola
Babanawa F.C., Anyigba
Dankalat F.C., Kano
El-Kanemi Warriors, Maiduguri
FRSC Strikers, Abuja
Jigawa Golden Stars F.C., Dutse
Jimeta United
Jarma United, Kano
Mighty Jets, Jos
Nasarawa United, Lafia
Ranchers Bees, Kaduna
Spotlight F.C., Katsina
Supreme Court FC, Abuja
Taraba FC, Jalingo
Wikki Tourists, Bauchi

1-B 2010-20011

Abia Warriors F.C., Umuahia
Akwa United F.C., Uyo
Anambra Pillars F.C., Onitsha
Bayelsa United F.C., Yenegoa
Bendel Insurance FC, Benin City
Bridge Boys, Lagos
F.C. Ebedei, Ijebu-Ode
Enyimba Feeders, Aba
First Bank, Lagos
Gabros F.C., Nnewi
Gateway F.C., Abeokuta
Living Springs F.C., Oshogbo
Okpe United
Rising Stars, Akure
36 Lions, Lagos
UNICEM Rovers, Calabar

Changes from 2009-2010

Relegated from Nigerian Premier League

Bayelsa United
Gateway F.C.
Ranchers Bees
Wikki Tourists

Promoted from Nigeria Amateur League

Dankalat
FRSC
Jimeta United
Jarma United
Okpe United
Enyimba Feeders
FC Ebedei
36 Lions

Relegated to Nigeria Amateur League

Ajiya Babes, Gumel
Anambra United F.C., Onitsha
Bussdor United F.C., Owerri
Dabo Babes, Kano
Dalhatu United, Gusau
Delta Force F.C., Ogwashi–Uku
Gray's International, Oshogbo
FC Lokoja

Name Changes from 2009-2010

-Julius Berger F.C. renamed Bridge Boys F.C.
-OUK F.C. renamed Abia Warriors F.C.
-Prime F.C. renamed Living Springs F.C.
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by honeric01(m): 9:49am On Dec 20, 2010
Akor’s heroics earn El-Kanemi victory
by Ojeikere Aikhoje 19 December 2010, 01:01

The heroics of El-Kanemi goalkeeper, Itodo Akor, ensured the Maiduguri side left newly promoted Jamaa with the maximum points.

Saturday’s 2-1 win was enough to maintain coach Patrick Obinwe’s perfect start this term. On match day one, El-Kanemi edged relegated Ranchers Bees by a lone goal.

Akor, who has since become a penalty stopper, prevented what would have been the equalizer by Jamaa when he saved a second half penalty.

“We have an ambitious team that can make it back to the Premier League. My teammates know they can bank on me when there is a penalty against us.

“I’ve promised the fans that we shall celebrate at the end of the season. We want to avoid the mistakes made last season. Moreover, the coach has worked on the team,” Akor told SuperSport.com.

Obinwe expressed confidence that his side will maintain its impressive performance as the season progresses.

“I’m confident El-Kanemi will return to the Premier League. I joined the team mid-way last season.

“However, I handled every part of the pre-season build-up which gave me time to put together a team that can secure promotion,” the former Plateau United player said to SuperSport.com.

Dunoma Gumi and Alhassan Musa gave El-Kanemi a two-goal advantage before the tally was reduced from the spot. Akor’s decisive save made back-to-back victories certain for his team.

El-Kanemi will have Babanawa as guests on match day three.

http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101219/Akors_heroics_earn_ElKanemi_victory
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by honeric01(m): 10:25am On Dec 20, 2010
Promotion race begins in lower division
By Ojeikere Aikhoje

After a long wait, the stage is now set for 32 clubs in the lower division to begin the race for promotion to the Nigeria Premier League this weekend.

The promotion of the quartet of Juth, Plateau United, Crown and Bukola Babes means relegated teams like Bayelsa United, Wikki Tourists, Gateway and Ranch Bees will begin a new life in the less prestigious National Division One.

Naijapremierleague.net’s Ojeikere Aikhoje previews the big battle ahead that will last for 30 weeks.

The Clubs

It’s a mixture of the old and the new. In all, 32 teams divided into two groups will contend for places in the Nigeria Premier League.

Group A

A very tough fight is expected here as eight former top flight teams battle for promotion.

The teams are Wikki, Adamawa Utd, Nasarawa Utd, Ranch Bees, Mighty Jets, FC Abuja, El-Kanemi and Jigawa Golden Stars. However, it’s not going to be easy as only two spaces are available.

El-Kanemi boss, Francis Obinwe has declared the readiness of his side to gift for promotion this term.

“I joined the team half way through the 2009/2010 season. After our pre-season build-up, I’m convinced that we have a good team for promotion,” said the former Plateau United star.

After narrowly missing promotion, Babanawa will give these former top flight teams a fierce contest.

Former Gateway United manager, Loveday Omoruyi, has bounced back to reckoning after his sack at the Abeokuta based side. Omoruyi leads newboys, FRSC in the fray and is convinced his lads would make a splash.

“We’re battle ready,” Omoruyi told Naijapremierleague.net

Fixtures

Week 1

Jimeta v FC Abuja
Jigawa v Wikki Tourists
El-Kanemi v Ranch Bees
Dalhatu v Mighty Jets
FRSC v Jamma
FC Taraba v Nasarawa
Spotlight v Babanawa
Supreme Court v Adamawa Utd

Group B

The situation in this group is not different from group A. It’s certainly going to be a battle of the old reliables.

Relegated Bayelsa United will make an impact if the club’s hierarchy decides to focus on the task ahead considering the stars in the squad.

Aside from Bayelsa United, there are six others teams that have played in the top flight. They include First Bank, Gabros, Akwa United, Prime, Bridge Boys (former Julius Berger), Bendel Insurance and Gateway.

Gateway United boss, Tony Rafua, confirmed their readiness for the league.

“We’re battle ready. At the end of the last season, some players left the team, but we have put together a good side,” he assured.

The nomadic Solomon Ogbeide has been handed the task of molding Akwa United into a
top class team that will return to the elite class.

Ogbeide who worked at Premier League side, Sunshine Stars last term has replaced Bernard Ogbe, who has since turned Gombe United into a title contender in the elite class.

Former Nigerian champions, Bendel Insurance, is another team that has set promotion target.

Charles Ihimekpen, secretary of the team said fans would be happy with the club’s squad managed by former captain, Roland Ewere.

“We have been able to convince some of our players to return,” he said. “Their presence will strengthen the team,” Ihimekpen added.

FC Ebedei, owned by Churchill Oliseh has returned to the National Division One League after a year in the amateur ranks. However, Oliseh informed SuperSport.com that his team doesn’t prepare for the league.

“The league is just an opportunity for us to perfect what the boys have been taught.

“We’re in the business of grooming exceptional football players. The league is just one of the processes through which we achieve our ambition,” he told Naijapremierleague.net

It promises to be exciting for 36 Lions, a young team that gained promotion from the amateur ranks.

Week 1

Fixtures

First Bank v OUK
UNICEM v Gabros
Bayelsa United v Akwa United
36 Lions v Prime
FC Ebedei v Bridge Boys
Bendel Ins v Rising Stars
Enyimba Feeders v Gateway United
Okpe United v FC Deden

The Big Stars:

The lower division will not be short of big names when the season begins.

Bayelsa United

Former Nigerian champions, Bayelsa Unites top the list with the largest set of stars in the lower division.

Although the likes of Chibuzor Okonkwo, Osas Okoro, Gege Soriola, Bernard Okorowanta and Bassey Akpan moved eastwards to join Heartland, the team still boosts of stars like Benin international goalkeeper, Olaniyi Fabiyi and Tarilaye Nwankwe amongst others.

In fact, Fabiyi sees nothing wrong with his decision to stick with the club on the lower division.

“I got offers from Premier League clubs, but I want to remain here. In fact, our presence will make the league more interesting,” said the Benin international.

Bendel Insurance

Bendel Insurance have reiterated their desire to move back to the elite class. To achieve this objective, the club has lured stars like John Ufomba (former Bendel Insurance and Enyimba), Harry Blanskon (former Bendel United, Niger Tornadoes), Edosa Aigbuobaghian and Steve Oboh.

El-Kanemi:

The Warriors are also confident of reclaiming their Premier League Status.

Former Plateau United star, Francis Obinwe, who is the coach of the team has put together a squad that can bounce back in style.

Former Mighty Jets, Niger Tornadoes, Akwa United and Juth winger, Edward Weng, leads the search for the ultimate prize and the most experienced player in the squad.

The team also has former Enyimba star, Joshua Eke.

First-choice goalkeeper, Itodo Akor, who is in his third season with the former FA Cup kings, believes the time has come for the club to return to the elite class.

Bridge Boys

For the first time in the history of the Nigerian League, Julius Berger, will cease to exist as a club, but will compete as a new club, Bridge Boys, under a new ownership.

The club will remembered for its role in the development of football in the country. Berger produced top stars like Garba Lawal, Sunday Oliseh, Emmanuel Amuneke, Taribo West, Seyi Olajengbensi and Adeolu Adekola among others.

This time around the clubs will rely on rookies to regain its status.

http://www.naijapremierleague.net/2010/12/promotion-race-begins-in-lower-division.html
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by Cappadona123: 6:20pm On Dec 20, 2010
Can we know the results?
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by frantic111: 8:20pm On Dec 20, 2010
where can I find Bridge Boys logo?
or they still using an old one (Julous Berger FC)?
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by semid4lyfe(m): 9:48pm On Dec 20, 2010
Rising Stars of Akure (feeder team of Sunshine Stars) beat Bendel Insurance 1 nil away in Benin in week 1.

FC Dender of Lagos beat Insurance of Benin 3-1 in Week 2 again.

2 straight losses. . .it seems Insurance is doomed to another season in the National League grin
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by medjai(m): 10:20pm On Dec 20, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Rising Stars of Akure (feeder team of Sunshine Stars) beat Bendel Insurance 1 nil away in Benin in week 1.

FC Dender of Lagos beat Insurance of Benin 3-1 in Week 2 again.

2 straight losses. . .it seems Insurance is doomed to another season in the National League grin
Insurance have gotten off to the worst possible start. shocked
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by honeric01(m): 2:00am On Dec 21, 2010
Insurance must not disappoint their teeming fans oo angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by Cappadona123: 7:09am On Dec 21, 2010
where is Honeric?What is happening to ur team sef?

Up Crown!!!
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by ow11(m): 7:42am On Dec 22, 2010
John Ufomba still dey play ball? Honeric, I pity your team o. That guy should be at least 45 years old!
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by medjai(m): 10:40am On Dec 23, 2010
Insurance defeated Okpe United 2 - 0 to record their first win of the season and put their promotion ambition back on track
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by honeric01(m): 12:26am On Dec 24, 2010
Cappadona123:

where is Honeric?What is happening to your team sef?

Up Crown!!!

They are suffering from jetlag grin, bros, me no no wetin dey do them oo angry

ow11:

John Ufomba still dey play ball? Honeric, I pity your team o. That guy should be at least 45 years old!

If Ryan Gigs, scoles and van der sar still play for Man UTD, why not Ufomba?

Thank God we don start to dey win, but i am not sure if Insurance plays at the Ogbemudia stadium.
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by Cappadona123: 5:02pm On Dec 24, 2010
@honeric,tell ur team to buckle up o cs the pro league no be wasa
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by honeric01(m): 3:11pm On Dec 25, 2010
We go try.
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by medjai(m): 2:20pm On Jan 06, 2011
Insurance lost away to Gabros 3 - 1
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by medjai(m): 6:20pm On Jan 07, 2011
Honeric, Insurance will be playing at the Agege Township Stadium against one of the Lagos based teams(36 Lions or Bridge Boys) on Sunday.
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by honeric01(m): 8:31pm On Jan 07, 2011
^^^^^

For real? which club is that? i thought it's Great dende united that uses the Agege stadium? watched Aminu the club's rep on sports splash talking about the club and what they are likely to give their fans on every match days.

Are you going to watch the match on sunday? never been to Agege stadium before lol embarassed
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by Cappadona123: 4:32am On Jan 08, 2011
Insurance can win the game
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by honeric01(m): 7:47am On Jan 08, 2011
^^^

Well can't say sha.
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by medjai(m): 10:50am On Jan 08, 2011
honeric01:

^^^^^

For real? which club is that? i thought it's Great dende united that uses the Agege stadium? watched Aminu the club's rep on sports splash talking about the club and what they are likely to give their fans on every match days.

Are you going to watch the match on sunday? never been to Agege stadium before lol embarassed
Nah, I'm not going. I no get money grin and Agege is quite a distance
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by honeric01(m): 2:19pm On Jan 08, 2011
^^^^

Can't you trek? well i would have said we should meet and then go together, but i don't think i'd be in church tomorrow
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by medjai(m): 12:42pm On Jan 18, 2011
Insurance defeated Enyimba Feeders 2 - 0 in their last game
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by medjai(m): 12:15pm On Jan 31, 2011
Insurance lost yet again to First Bank 2 - 1. Insurance also lost 1 - 0 to FC Ebedei the week before last week.
Before this round of games, Insurance were third from bottom. I suppose they'd have dropped further shocked

As it's now, the should be fighting to avoid relegation and just forget about promotion. shocked grin
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by semid4lyfe(m): 6:10pm On Jan 31, 2011
Heheehee, Insurance don become every clubs whipping dog for the National league. Any team playing them is assured of 3 points. . . .na so una go jabo from National league too? shocked undecided tongue

Poor Benin football fans embarassed undecided

Maybe honeric and medjai should raise funds, buy the club and take over it's management and day to day running, lol tongue

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by honeric01(m): 1:21am On Feb 01, 2011
I don tire for this Insurance oo, are they trying to be a saint? it seems they don't want to do all these boardroom stuffs they pro league is known for. sad
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by medjai(m): 4:43pm On Feb 08, 2011
It was a return to winning ways at the weekend for Insurance as they defeated UNICEM Rovers, 2 - 0.
Hope still dey grin grin

Prime FC are on top of the table.
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by honeric01(m): 5:34pm On Feb 08, 2011
Na dem sabi oo.
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by semid4lyfe(m): 1:41pm On Feb 14, 2011
Honeric, how market? grin

I hear say Abia Warriors of Aba dash una Bendel [b]Un[/b]insurance 2-0?

I just say make I come commiserate with you, sorry, pele, do. . .no cry ehn tongue tongue
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by medjai(m): 5:38pm On Feb 14, 2011
semid4lyfe:

I just say make I come commiserate with you, sorry, pele, do. . .no cry ehn tongue tongue

Enyimba dey come join us soon tongue

Seriously, I weak for these guys o o:
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by Pharoh: 5:41pm On Feb 14, 2011
Man Delta force should try and move back up to the national league o o o .
Re: Nigerian National League thread ( Kicks Off Sunday) by 10cirenoh: 8:38pm On Feb 14, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Na even 3:0 and not 2:0

See like i said, na their problem, i can't fit support clueless team angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Think Messi Is Overrated / Asisat Oshoala Injured, To Be Out Of Action For Two Months / Delta: Ughelli All Stars Wins Oke Umurhohwo Maiden Football Tournament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.