Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,857 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:52 AM

Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World (5222 Views)

Why Must Tax Payers Feed Buhari And His Family?, Asks Okogie - Thecable / President Jonathan Reelection Campaign: Tax Payers Money At Work. / Nigerians Among 700 Migrants Rescued Off Italian Coast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by LocalChamp: 9:43am On Dec 10, 2010
Nigerians among highest bribe payers in the world

By Ayo Okulaja

December 10, 2010 01:03AM

The global anti-corruption watchdog, Transparency International has ranked Nigeria as one of the countries in the world where bribes are paid to achieve an aim or get a service.

The Berlin based organisation stated this in the 2010 Global Corruption Barometer (a worldwide public opinion survey on corruption) released yesterday to mark the world’s International Anti-corruption day where it warned that “corruption has increased over the last three years” as one in four people report paying bribes in the last year to one of nine institutions and services, from health to education to tax authorities.

“Almost half of all respondents say they paid bribes to avoid problems with the authorities and a quarter say it was to speed up processes,” it added.

When the poll’s respondents in Nigeria were asked how the level of corruption has changed in Nigeria in the last three years, 73% of the respondents admitted that corruption has increased, 17% said it has decreased while 10% said it has not changed.

Nigeria was ranked with Afghanistan, Cambodia, Cameroon, India, Iraq, Liberia, Palestine and Senegal as nations where the highest numbers of reported bribery payments were made in 2010, one in two people affirmed to have paid bribe.

According to the survey, the institution perceived by respondents to be most affected by corruption is the Nigeria Police where the survey revealed that 56% of the respondents acknowledged to have given bribe to the police.

Most worrying

According to Transparency International, “Bribes to the police have almost doubled since 2006, and more people report paying bribes to the judiciary and for registry and permit services than did so five years ago.” Identifying the poor and young to be the most victimised in paying bribes, the report stated that “the demographics of bribery continue to disadvantage the poor and the young, as lower income earners report paying more bribes than higher income earners. Poorer people are twice as likely to pay bribes for basic services, such as utilities, medical services and education, than wealthier people.” “A third of all people under the age of 30 report paying a bribe in the past 12 months, compared to less than one in five people over 51 years of age.” “Corruption is a regressive tax. This injustice must be addressed. The marginalised and poor remain the most vulnerable to extortion. Governments should do more to identify corruption risks in basic services and to protect their citizens,” the report added.

The 2010 Global Corruption Barometer surveys more than 91,000 people in 86 countries and territories focusing on petty bribery, perceptions of public institutions and views of whom people trust to combat corruption. “Despite these results, the survey also found that seven out of 10 people would be willing to report an incident of corruption” the report noted.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5652148-146/nigerians_among_highest_bribe_payers_in.csp
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Blazay(m): 11:45am On Dec 10, 2010
According to the survey, the institution perceived by respondents to be most affected by corruption is the Nigeria Police where the survey revealed that 56% of the respondents acknowledged to have given bribe to the police.

Most worrying

According to Transparency International, “Bribes to the police have almost doubled since 2006, and more people report paying bribes to the judiciary and for registry and permit services than did so five years ago.” Identifying the poor and young to be the most victimised in paying bribes, the report stated that “the demographics of bribery continue to disadvantage the poor and the young, as lower income earners report paying more bribes than higher income earners. Poorer people are twice as likely to pay bribes for basic services, such as utilities, medical services and education, than wealthier people.” “A third of all people under the age of 30 report paying a bribe in the past 12 months, compared to less than one in five people over 51 years of age.” “Corruption is a regressive tax. This injustice must be addressed. The marginalised and poor remain the most vulnerable to extortion. Governments should do more to identify corruption risks in basic services and to protect their citizens,” the report added.

Any time "Naija" is in the news, it is for something negative.

Disgusting.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by chi3280(m): 12:12pm On Dec 10, 2010
hmm what do u expect.thats what nigeria is good for.always negative stories.chineke zoputa anyi o!
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by babsmii(m): 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2010
stale story!, waste of media space,
who doesn't know, so y the noise
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by hackney(m): 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2010
@poster ; REALLY
monkeys
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Ranoscky(m): 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2010
May God help us!
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by akwarandu(m): 12:34pm On Dec 10, 2010
Let all vote for Buhari come 2010, he is the only man that can fight corruption head long
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by miqos02(m): 12:36pm On Dec 10, 2010
chi 3280:

hmm what do u expect.thats what nigeria is good for.always negative stories.chineke zoputa anyi o!
its bad for us. we have to change it
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by beknown(m): 12:40pm On Dec 10, 2010
This is the evidence why Nigerians must stop deceiving themselves with being religious.

A country like Nigeria where religion is spreading like wild fire, we are also increasing in bribery and corruption. Even seemingly religious Nigerians are involved in various forms of bribery and corruption. Haba!

That shows backwardness.

My people if we refuse to change our ways, our children and future generations will suffer too much.

My people, let us stop deceiving ourselves.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by turboman(m): 12:45pm On Dec 10, 2010
old news
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Muza(m): 12:57pm On Dec 10, 2010
Very stale news. . .
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Oluwabee(f): 1:15pm On Dec 10, 2010
Agreed we all know its stale news but wat ar we doin in our own little capacity to help, It begins wit you,
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by chrishenzo: 1:17pm On Dec 10, 2010
I don't worry about bribing,
I worry about the inferiority complex of most Nigerians
I worry about the lack of patriot of most Nigerians
I worry about how most Nigerians swallow anything that media said but fail to understand that the greatest weapon on earth is not nuclear bomb but THE MEDIA.
I worry about how most Nigerians are still living in modern day slavery
I worry about how most Nigerians like to digest negative news without knowing that it affects them
I worry about how most Nigerians shouts "Only in Nigeria" but failed to notice that the same crime happens everywhere.
I worry about how most Nigerians are internet warriors but physically they don't have balls.

I was an advocate of "One Nigeria" but some weeks back I have to ask myself if  there is anything like "One Nigeria". I was chatting with one Nigeria person some weeks ago, and we were discussing about Nigeria situation and how the country can change. But behold, the person open up his mouth and starts vomiting rubbish. He said "Nigeria is a hopeless country, Nigeria is a silly country, I hate Nigeria. I don't want to have anything to do with the country again. They are silly, they are criminals, frauds, and nothing good will come from the country. I won't go back until they fixed the country, etc. His voice was so loud and to make things worst, there were about 10-15 people from different countries around us. I was so embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I just told him " I'm disappointed in you" and the next thing he said was "Who cares. silly hopeless country!"

All the other foreigners was surprised and one of them just told him that he is the most silly person he has ever come across in his entire 47years old. He asked the Nigerian guy, whether the country he is currently living was fixed by God? One of them asked me whether there are other brain dead people like this in Nigeria. My brothers I was confused and transfixed.

Finally don't get me wrong, bribing is ripping dip into the heart of Nigeria but instead of repeating the same issues that even a child knows about, why not find a solution to it. You can start by avoiding bribing from your own side. Fix yourself and you fix Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by chrishenzo: 1:19pm On Dec 10, 2010
Oluwabee:

Agreed we all know its stale news but wat ar we doin in our own little capacity to help, It begins wit you,

God bless you my sister.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 10, 2010
babsmii:

stale story!, waste of media space,
who doesn't know, so y the noise
Word! cool

akwarandu:

Let all vote for Buhari come 2010, he is the only man that can fight corruption head long
U wish cool

miqos02:

its bad for us. we have to change it
true!

turboman:

old news
yeah
Muza:

Very stale news. . .
Indeed

Oluwabee:

I wish it were that easy cool
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by snowdrops(m): 1:31pm On Dec 10, 2010
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World

BREAKING NEWS

NOT!!!
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by justwise(m): 1:38pm On Dec 10, 2010
Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World

Really?

Please give me a break!!
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by zaza1(m): 1:44pm On Dec 10, 2010
i believe every single person calling this old news stale news etc is a big fool, so what if it is old news, does that mean we should not try and do something about it?, the best u guys can say is old news, you don't have to leave a comment, if you aint got something to say SHUT THE FC.UK UP
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by justwise(m): 1:56pm On Dec 10, 2010
zaza1:

i believe every single person calling this old news stale news etc is a big fool, so what if it is old news, does that mean we should not try and do something about it?, the best u guys can say is old news, you don't have to leave a comment, if you aint got something to say SHUT THE FC.UK UP

You are a complete M.O.RON
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by tlops(m): 2:00pm On Dec 10, 2010
would you have believed otherwise ? shocked shocked

Denmark had 0 bribe rate,
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by calddon(m): 2:01pm On Dec 10, 2010
is sum 1 just wakin up jeeze!, the roger the NPF collect if watched very well should take us to number one on the list of corrupt nations.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by yemibox: 2:22pm On Dec 10, 2010
chrishenzo:

I worry about how most Nigerians swallow anything that media said but fail to understand that the greatest weapon on earth is not nuclear bomb but THE MEDIA.
I worry about how most Nigerians like to digest negative news without knowing that it affects them
I worry about how most Nigerians shouts "Only in Nigeria" but failed to notice that the same crime happens everywhere.
I worry about how most Nigerians are internet warriors but physically they don't have balls.

I was an advocate of "One Nigeria" but some weeks back I have to ask myself if  there is anything like "One Nigeria". I was chatting with one Nigeria person some weeks ago, and we were discussing about Nigeria situation and how the country can change. But behold, the person open up his mouth and starts vomiting rubbish. He said "Nigeria is a hopeless country, Nigeria is a silly country, I hate Nigeria. I don't want to have anything to do with the country again. They are silly, they are criminals, frauds, and nothing good will come from the country. I won't go back until they fixed the country, etc. His voice was so loud and to make things worst, there were about 10-15 people from different countries around us. I was so embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I just told him " I'm disappointed in you" and the next time he said was "Who cares. silly hopeless country!"

All the other foreigners was surprised and one of them just told him that he is the most silly person he has ever come across in his entire 47years old. He asked the Nigerian guy, whether the country he is currently living was fixed by God? One of them asked me whether there are other brain dead people like this in Nigeria. My brothers I was confused and transfixed.

Finally don't get me wrong, bribing is ripping dip into the heart of Nigeria but instead of repeating the same issues that even a child knows about, why not find a solution to it. You can start by avoiding bribing from your own side. Fix yourself and you fix Nigeria.

Wow, brilliant, well said. I feel your write-up bro
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by babsmii(m): 2:32pm On Dec 10, 2010
zaza1:

u're dvmb, tell me, isn't it stale? isn't it a waste of media space, dont we know? so wat the heck is your probs, if u av issues with the fact, then just move on,
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by kabukabu50(m): 2:35pm On Dec 10, 2010
chrishenzo:

I was an advocate of "One Nigeria" but some weeks back I have to ask myself if  there is anything like "One Nigeria". I was chatting with one Nigeria person some weeks ago, and we were discussing about Nigeria situation and how the country can change. But behold, the person open up his mouth and starts vomiting rubbish. He said "Nigeria is a hopeless country, Nigeria is a silly country, I hate Nigeria. I don't want to have anything to do with the country again. They are silly, they are criminals, frauds, and nothing good will come from the country. I won't go back until they fixed the country, etc. His voice was so loud and to make things worst, there were about 10-15 people from different countries around us. I was so embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I just told him " I'm disappointed in you" and the next time he said was "Who cares. silly hopeless country!"

You need to take off those rose colored glasses of yours and know that,without greasing palms in Naija,you might as well be jumping in a sack of garri to run a foot race and win grin grin grin grin grin

You will stand aside and watch your mates leave you in the dust if you dont join the line.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by COMPAQ(m): 2:42pm On Dec 10, 2010
I look at this country and I just feel sick and disgusted at times. We are like mad men in a jungle just roving round and round with no aim. The country is making no headway in ANYTHING and nothing is happening. What has to happen for the citizens of this country to begin to push back?? We just moving the wall further back when our backs get to it. I am really worried for this country!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by bababuff(m): 3:04pm On Dec 10, 2010
See no evil, hear no evil.

"Ask and you shall receive"

who is to blame? the giver or the taker ,
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by HARDDON: 3:07pm On Dec 10, 2010
Transpiracy what? are they really transparent? if they are, they wudnt rank us thus! but ofcos, is it he who is caught , that is a thief huh? and who is not caught, no matter how deadly, is not?!!! :

the only reason i even bothered to read this. is there a more corrupt country than the developed ones? or is it because they cover their tracks so well that we cud pass them n for saints?!

TRANSPIRACY MA FAT BUTT
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by squeeky: 3:20pm On Dec 10, 2010
Who says the western world where all this data comes from is much better than we are, with all what wikileaks is telling us the BIG TIME BRIBE GIVERS ARE FROM THE WEST WE ARE ONLY BRIBE RECEIVERS. not trying to say its anything to be proud of but they should let us be jare.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Omenani(m): 3:30pm On Dec 10, 2010
I hope it is clear to people, but Nigeria should never have been created. As other African nations are progressing, we are retrogressing. Pathetic to say the least.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by tpia1: 3:31pm On Dec 10, 2010
@ topic

nothing surprising about that.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by clickgold(m): 3:40pm On Dec 10, 2010
Can we keep hope alive?

we all cannot live in US or UK (countries that have been fixed by thinking people)

if we all need a change, lets all become the change we seek for.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by MzGreat(f): 3:45pm On Dec 10, 2010
zaza1:

justwise:

You are a complete M.O.RON

y r u calling him a slowpoke, he is saying the truth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photo:- Fayose Weeps, Calls Jonathan ‘that silly President’? / EFCC Moves To Arrest Former Abia State Governor Theodore Orji / Photos: Biafran Leaders Meet David Cameron At 10 Downing Street

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.