Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,890 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja (7254 Views)

Closure Of Sachet Water Firms In Kano: 2m Youths To Lose Jobs / Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations / 60,000 Construction Workers Lose Jobs In 4 Months - Vanguard News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by babytejiri(m): 10:19am On Dec 10, 2010
Construction giant, Julius Berger Nigeria Plc. has in the last one month retrenched 1,500 workers in Abuja.

Investigations by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) revealed that those affected were the aged, the unfit and those due for retirement. The purge which affected all its branches was necessitated by the delay in releasing payments to the company by the government for jobs already executed. Spokesperson for the company, Clement Iloba, told NAN that the affected workers were not sent to the labour market just like that, they were paid all their retirement benefits and or entitlements at the point of receiving their disengagement letters so that they can fend for themselves by establishing personal businesses. He also stressed that in any case, those affected were already at the point of leaving the company, a condition he added was very rare as lots of money were spent on training them on the job.
http://www.nigeriacurrentnews.com/1500-nigerians-lose-jobs-in-julius-berger-abuja/
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Guyman02: 12:16pm On Dec 10, 2010
Adding to the unemployment situation in naija. How can they sack them because Fed govt failed to release money for the over inflated contracts around Abuja?
Spending N64b to build an airport runway or padding the Abuja airport road with additional N2b and their MD publicly telling us its mathematical error?
We are waiting for more wikileaks on JB and Shell. Perhaps they are acting out a script by the US or British govt to create frustration among the citizens through mass retrenchment and force GEJ to do a particular bidding due to rising public resentment that this situation may create. We are now watching every single move of the multi nationals.  angry angry angry Nigerians; keep your eyes open, now that we know!
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by victorazy(m): 12:22pm On Dec 10, 2010
Guyman02:

Adding to the unemployment situation in naija. How can they sack them because Fed govt failed to release money for the over inflated contracts around Abuja?
We are waiting for more wikileaks on JB and Shell. Perhaps they are acting out a script by the US or British govt to create frustration among the citizens through mass retrenchment and force GEJ to do a particular bidding due to rising oublic resentment. We are now watching every single move of the multi nationals, angry angry angry

How can u say something like this or dont you know that they are here for their own gain not only to develop Nigeria beside, our guys stole much from them (even the site boot am wearing now if Julius) am sorry someone sold it to me.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by babsmii(m): 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2010
JB has eaten enough, can't we push them out and find young, hardworking Engineers to come together and get a huge loan to do our roads, must we have them around always? ha! they've been since whenever! i wasn't even formed then,
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by otokx(m): 12:33pm On Dec 10, 2010
JB construction work speaks for itself and its unrivalled in Nigeria.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by hackney(m): 12:36pm On Dec 10, 2010
They berra complete those airport road lanes they are building in ABJ ; causing unnecessary traffic with
their selfish road blocks.
Ndi oshi.
monkeys
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Bawss1(m): 12:37pm On Dec 10, 2010
babsmii:

JB has eaten enough, can't we push them out and find young, hardworking Engineers to come together and get a huge loan to do our roads,  must we have them around always? ha! they've been since whenever! i wasn't even formed then,

So we should "push" them out because they have been around for a long time. Is anybody complaining about the quality of work done by JB. Besides the people to lose their jobs according to this report are the aged, unfit to work and due for retirement.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by wazobiang: 12:38pm On Dec 10, 2010
?
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by sley4life(m): 1:17pm On Dec 10, 2010
wow. J.Berger don fire thousands. Another set of pple in the labor market
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Guyman02: 1:26pm On Dec 10, 2010
Bawss1:

So we should "push" them out because they have been around for a long time. Is anybody complaining about the quality of work done by JB. Besides the people to lose their jobs according to this report are the aged, unfit to work and due for retirement.
The issue is not about how long they've being around or the quality of jobs, but the influence the have on our govt, controlling and deciding who gets what contract and inflating contracts prices, without allowing for competitive bidding. The build houses free for corrupt govt officals in Abuja and across the federation. They import most of the equipment and materials used in construction with little attempt to develop local production but enriching German firms back home.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by pharuk: 1:39pm On Dec 10, 2010
babytejiri:

Construction giant, Julius Berger Nigeria Plc. has in the last one month retrenched 1,500 workers in Abuja.

Investigations by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) revealed that those affected were the aged, the unfit and those due for retirement. The purge which affected all its branches was necessitated by the delay in releasing payments to the company by the government for jobs already executed. Spokesperson for the company, Clement Iloba, told NAN that the affected workers were not sent to the labour market just like that, they were paid all their retirement benefits and or entitlements at the point of receiving their disengagement letters so that they can fend for themselves by establishing personal businesses. He also stressed that in any case, those affected were already at the point of leaving the company, a condition he added was very rare as lots of money were spent on training them on the job.
http://www.nigeriacurrentnews.com/1500-nigerians-lose-jobs-in-julius-berger-abuja/

they are getting compensation to start off something for themself, besides they will be giving opportunity for fresh or new minds, which is what we need in other sectors.

And about there work, its unrivalled,  quality job, worth every penny
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Nobody: 2:28pm On Dec 10, 2010
THANK YOU OTOKX !!!!! JB always produces structures of high structural and aesthetic quality, even when militants and kidnappers were disturbing them @ the height of Port Harcourts dangerous days.

By the way, Otokx do you know how that jb pickup truck got destroyed @ artillery junction?
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by babsmii(m): 2:29pm On Dec 10, 2010
Guyman02:

The issue is not about how long they've being around or the quality of jobs, but the influence the have on our govt, controlling and deciding who gets what contract and inflating contracts prices, without allowing for competitive bidding. The build houses free for corrupt govt officals in Abuja and across the federation. They import most of the equipment and materials used in construction with little attempt to develop local production but enriching German firms back home.

u go skool!, thank you, well said,
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by COMPAQ(m): 2:52pm On Dec 10, 2010
While losing a job is obviously a very painful thing, the article CLEARLY says that those who lost their jobs were the aged, unfit and those due for retirement, so what on earth is all the fuss about Nigerian's seem to be so frustrated that they are looking for ANY opportunity to vent anger at ANYONE perceived to have caused them injustice.

Construction companies employ a lot of contract staff because they will not need such people if there are no construction jobs to do, so if those are the people they sacked what should JB have done? Keep people that are doing nothing? And even if they were full staff, they were aged, unfit and due for retirement anyway. They should move over and go and rest and let their children, who will be more productive, enter the labour force.

JB undoubtedly is the best construction company in Nigeria. Roads like Awolowo road ikoyi, Oregun road in Lagos etc have been constructed almost 10 years ago with no single pot hole since then. Which other construction company has built a road in any state that lasted 10 years.

JB is not father christmas and cannot keep staff who are unproductive. I wonder how many of us shouting will keep a 65 year old driver who is likely to sleep off on the steering or drive you into a ditch because of poor eye sight.

We just like to make a fuss of everything in this country instead of thinking logically and dispassionately.

, having said all these, that is not to say JB don't have their own issues o! But that is for another post. This post has to do with sacking of unfit, aged and about to retire staff!!
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by bababuff(m): 3:07pm On Dec 10, 2010
The Chinese construction companies are taking over period! cool
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by clickgold(m): 3:10pm On Dec 10, 2010
Unfit

Aged

Due for retirement.

These people cannot contribute anything to the growth of the company.

For the fear of been attacked, I think this is the very reason while our civil service is not productive.

If you are not productive, it doesnt matter if you work for the government or the multinational, you should be shown the way out.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 10, 2010
bababuff:

The Chinese construction companies are taking over period! cool

yeah - see the road in festac they have been building for over 2 years

you think thats a good thing?

how dare anyone criticise JB when it is stated that it is because
The purge which affected all its branches was necessitated by the delay in releasing payments to the company by the government for jobs already executed.

would you rather they did what my first employer was forced to do - pay salaries piecemeal and delayed?

place the blame squarely at the foot of the FG and NASS.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by oge4real(f): 4:43pm On Dec 10, 2010
JB is still the best in Nigeria.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Orikinla(m): 4:57pm On Dec 10, 2010
Let them join Nigeria Startup Weekend (Africa)
http://nigeria.startupweekend.org/about/

Startup Weekend recruits a highly motivated group of developers, business managers, startup enthusiasts, marketing gurus, graphic artists and more to a 54 hour event that builds communities, companies and projects.

Or join Lele Alder's Enterprise500
The programme aims to develop 500 entrepreneurs & enterprises every year ,
enterprise500.com.

If you lose your job or you need one and cannot get it, create one for yourself.

Since I returned to Lagos in 2008 I have been self-employed with a business partner and or hands are full of printing jobs and now we are launching bigger ventures to create jobs for the jobless in Lagos.

With N5000, you can start a lucrative venture.

Print popular Christian or Islamic sayings on plain T-Shirts and sell them at selected churches or mosques.
Or print the sayings as car stickers and sell and see how much money you will make.

BE CREATIVE.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Omenani(m): 5:25pm On Dec 10, 2010
My problem with this news is how they just fired aged workers. Hopefully they gave them severance pay. So just because you are getting old, that means you cannot work? In the U.S, people are working till they are 75. And employers are still hiring these older workers. If you have the experience or expertise, then it shouldn't matter how old you are.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by femivictor: 5:54pm On Dec 10, 2010
Eyah i feel for those pple o, try out my blog at www.yearningforsuccess..com. You get all you need to succeed in life and some business opportunities. Labour market is already saturated! cry
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 10, 2010
pls oyb tell them.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by iice(f): 6:06pm On Dec 10, 2010
Bahahahaha see dreams and fantasies
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by DisGuy: 6:58pm On Dec 10, 2010
the purge which affected all its branches was necessitated by the delay in releasing payments to the company by the government for jobs already executed.

This is just indirect tactics by JB to release money for contracts executed or those in the pipeline, in fact most contractors say this anyway- this is their number one reason for late work bla blah blah

No sensible company (with loads of reserve like JB) will really lay off productive staff in the name of delayed payment - na just media attention jorr
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:48pm On Dec 10, 2010
This sort of thing is bound to happen in Construction companies from time to time.
It was mentioned that those targeted were the aged, unfit and those due for retirement.
At the risk of sounding inhumane, I'll love to ask you all, would you love to have a 59 year old driver
who falls asleep at the wheel?

Construction is a line of work that is physically demanding. I remember when I was doing my
SIWES in Abuja, I was assigned a couple of workers for a job, and there was this old carpenter.
He promptly disappeared! I went in search of him, only to discover him fast asleep, concealed in
the flower bed of a neighbouring building! He begged me not to tell the P.M, as he might be given the boot.
As a manager of people, you have to make tough decisions sometimes.

In addition, these mass layoffs are accompanied by many millions of naira in disbursements as payoffs, benefits of
all kinds. Believe me, if those guys were not totally unproductive, it may be cheaper to keep them on,
Except if JBN refuses to pay them their dues.

Also, if a construction coy hits hard times, downsizing is the first way to go.

JBN too dey do effizzy, sha. Dem too dey burn fuel, dey move up and down. I'll not dispute that they were paid
in crude oil during the IBB era,

Another reason ''Baba'' must not return!!! angry angry angry
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by ibbinfo(m): 9:15pm On Dec 10, 2010
am not against the layoff cus it makes way for the young youths on the streets of nigeria let the oldies lay dawn they boot of work for they children.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 11, 2010
Omenani, so as you are in the U.S.A with constant power, you still can't take the time to read and understand the whole article before posting. Or have your fingers just been itching to type negativities that can bias the minds of the (unfortunately) less educated. It is clearly stated that all those discharged were due for retirement already and all were given full severance pay.
Omenani:

My problem with this news is how they just fired aged workers. Hopefully they gave them severance pay. So just because you are getting old, that means you cannot work? In the U.S, people are working till they are 75. And employers are still hiring these older workers. If you have the experience or expertise, then it shouldn't matter how old you are.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Chuks84(m): 9:51am On Dec 11, 2010
ikay88:

Omenani, so as you are in the U.S.A with constant power, you still can't take the time to read and understand the whole article before posting. Or have your fingers just been itching to type negativities that can bias the minds of the (unfortunately) less educated. It is clearly stated that all those discharged were due for retirement already and all were given full severance pay.

Guy, don't be naive. the whole story is just PR bs,  My company works with JB, all the discharged workers received their severance pay at our site office and I saw a lot of young and able guys who got discharged. The fact is that the federal government has started coming down hard on JB. They've stopped funding for most of their contracts. Its just unfortunate that its the Nigerian staff that is paying the price.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by Bawss1(m): 10:27am On Dec 11, 2010
Omenani:

Na so. Construction workers working till 75. Tell that to the marines.
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by famochy(m): 10:47am On Dec 11, 2010
Na wao this is not a good way to end the year
Re: 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja by member479760: 12:17pm On Dec 11, 2010
Even road we no fit do after 50 yrs but we have Nigerians heading big big pos in internation level. yes - they are clever than even whiteman.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Has Served Or Worked With FAME Foundation Abuja? / What Is Really Wrong With Intercontinental Bank? / Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.