Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,258 members, 7,807,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? (13417 Views)

Airtel’s Indians To Reduce Staff Salary By At Least 60%: Strike Action Looms / Since The Indians Are Taking Away So Much Jobs From Nigerians In Nigeria / Ericsson Moves To Sack Nigerian Employees, Hire Indians As Replacement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by denex: 6:37pm On Jun 07, 2007
O my God! What is all this? If I continue any further discussion in this room, I will have a brain tumor!
You complain that Nigerians are leaving their country because there are no jobs. The Indians and Lebanese that are coming to Nigeria, is it to come and look at Olumo rock?
The thing we're missing is innovation!
We wait for South Africans to build Shoprite, we wait for Indians to build Park n Shop, we wait for Israelis to build Mega Plaza, we wait for Lebanese to start up Zartech.
Yet there are still a lot of areas that are yet to be explored. Look at my neighbour, instead of him seeing the invasion of foreigners as a bad thing, he looked at it as a good thing. The boy that has been farming catfish for 3 years without progress. He saw these Chinese as an opportunity to make money. Begged them to help him acquire Chinese catfish and last year, he made in 5 months, what he's made in the previous 2 years. They bought the fish back from him at outrageously exorbitant prices and they are begging him to continue. Now he's acquired just acquired a land in Epe. Small boy wey I senior O! Yet the rest of you want to look at this whole thing, this inflow of foreign investment as a bad thing. Somebody used their blood, sweat and reputation to build a company and now you want the government to dictate who they will employ.
Where you dey look when Seun start Nairaland? Why don't you tell him to close down and go and request Indian job.
The Indians are taking away all OUR jobs. Is there any job that is classified as Nigerian Job?
If you really have a Masters and you really want to work, I suggest you contact me because I'm working on a new innovation I want to propose to Disc Communication. But to work with me, you have to strive and suffer like me, you have to think up ideas and make proposals to corporate bodies that will pick interest in it. You have to believe that nobody is going to give you anything not even God. You have to get everything yourself because he has provided all that you need.

Just fresh out of college, me and my crew proposed to a group of companies to sponsor a contemporary dance event and that was how I made my first and only N1m ever.

I'm currently pitching First Bank to sponsor a national poetry contest which will cost them N5million but will rake in more than N20million, and people are in here discussing how they will raid Indian jobs. Sorry, Ndo O.

Then finally I'm going to pitch either Hi-TV or Disc Communications a new system of Pay-per-view TV that is simple yet has never been done in the world.

It is worth N300 million yearly.

Don't sit down and demand jobs in an Indian firm.
Then when you have your own firm, you can decide not to hire Indians. Nobody will kill you.

Yes. Admitted sometimes I submit proposals and the companies steal my Idea without compensation. This September Premiere League, it was M Squad that discussed the idea with Osmi so they can get sponsors together. But OSMI went it alone. Should we sit down and start crying? Should I go to an Indian company to start claiming job. No! There are millions of new ideas the human brain can churn out in a lifetime, and am not going to waste that.

So let sleeping Indians lie. Use you brain to do something. A masters degree and no food to eat? Tufiaa! I reject it!

Me I've already told you people. Let me just become president. It is not only foreign coach you people will see. Foreign ministers and Foreign traditional rulers!!!
Even foreign Babalawo if I see that they can do the job better.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by Afam(m): 6:38pm On Jun 07, 2007
Nigerians to begin with are ready to accept all sorts of nonsense just because they want to keep their jobs including being used against their fellow Nigerians by the foreigners.

Unfortunately, they realize very late when they will be at the receiving end of the dirty game.

Companies (irrespective of the owners) should be allowed to hire workers with preference for non Nigerians as long as such companies are in Nigeria.

The arguement that an Indian company reserves the right to hire only Indians if it so wishes is pure rubbish.

In anycase, it is no news that Nigeria as a country is not in the habit of protecting the rights of its citizens so these foreigners really do not have serious policies that they need to be afraid of.

Instead of the NLC to wage a serious campaign in this regard they keep waiting for the government to increase fuel price before they remember they are still in existence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by denex: 6:50pm On Jun 07, 2007
There will be no cachement area zoning for jobs in this country. As you people continue fighting for it, we will continue fighting against it. We will continue fighting mediocrity by virtue of citizenship.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by Iman3(m): 7:02pm On Jun 07, 2007
degoat:

@denex
Do you know what it feels like to have masters degree, but had to relocate to other countries to sweep floor and kiss ass?
degoat:

@denex
Do you know what it feels like to have a PHD in Nigeria and can't even afford to eat a meal a day?
degoat:

@denex
Do you know what it feels like to have masters degree for the past 7 years and never made 10 kobo with your degree?

What's all this got to do with Indians? Mass unemployment in Nigeria is an entirely separate issue from whether the Govt should intervene to compel Indian owned coys in Nigeria to employ more Nigerians.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by laudate: 7:22pm On Jun 07, 2007
denex:

Just fresh out of college, me and my crew proposed to a group of companies to sponsor a contemporary dance event and that was[b] how I made my first and only N1m ever.[/b]

I'm currently pitching First Bank to sponsor a national poetry contest which will cost them N5million but will rake in more than N20million, and people are in here discussing how they will raid Indian jobs. Sorry, Ndo O.

Then finally I'm going to pitch either Hi-TV or Disc Communications a new system of Pay-per-view TV that is simple yet has never been done in the world.

Keep it up, bro'. Well done!! wink Hehehehe. . . . oya, move some of dat kudi into my account sharp, sharp, make I keep am for you! grin grin
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by rookie(m): 7:23pm On Jun 07, 2007
I think this is a great post and it demands some careful analysis and considerations. This is an honest issue that every patriotic Nigerian should pay attention to. I also do not consider the post to be derogatory or targeted towards Indians in a hostile manner. I think it is important for us Nigerians to remember that the employment rate in Nigeria is terribly low and most of our graduates are unemployed. This consequently has caused a good amount of unemployed Nigerian graduates to consider illegal means of income e.g. 419 etc. While these illegal activities should not be condoned, we must acknowledge the cause and effect factor.

As most of us will agree, Nigeria has a lot of human capital and potentials. However, lack of fundamental vehicles needed to drive up development of our human resources is a tremendous challenge.

I do agree with most of the reasons earlier suggested by Big1:
Lack of Confidence, Lack of Trust, Decrepit Leadership Standard, Inferiority Complex, Confidentiality Concern, Slavery Mentality, Corruption Issues, Incompetence, and Deteriorated Educational Standard.

Even though these problems may appear to be very intricate and complex, I believe that there are reasonable solutions to these problems.

Employment of skilled Nigerians (at home and abroad) before considering professionals from other nationalities
As a Nigeria, it is easy for one to observe that Nigerians (Citizen, employers, and Government) have a lot of regards and respect for Nigerian professional in Diaspora. Hence, employer should consider recruiting Nigerian professional in Diaspora as well as highly experienced\ skilled home-based Nigerian. This might help build the confidence of Nigerian employer in Nigerian employees in general.

Advance training Institutes
Emergence of more specialized professional training institute will help bolster technical skills of Nigerian professionals.

Creativity (Just as Denex had suggested)
Nigerians should not wait for government and foreign investors. We all share responsibilities in developing this nation.

Please, I want to encourage everyone to participate in finding solutions to underemployment issues pervading the nation.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by degoat: 10:23pm On Jun 07, 2007
by Rookie
Please, I want to encourage everyone to participate in finding solutions to underemployment issues pervading the nation
Rookie, I agree.
It is obvious that things are not normal, definitely something is wrong with this picture. Instead of looking for justification, I think our attention should be on identifying reasons and solutions to make things right.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by degoat: 10:29pm On Jun 07, 2007
@denex, you keep on going off track as usual. Please slow down and pay attention to the subject. There is nobody picking a fight or against the Indians or the Indian businesses.
We are more concern about empowering the youths so that these people can compete more with confidence. And I think it isn't too much to ask our government to embrace a society that promotes more job opportunities for the citizens, especially for the youths, the future of Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by naijaway(m): 10:50pm On Jun 07, 2007
the problem is we'r all about buying and selling and not caring about manufacturing. Any nation without competent manufacturing will always be left behind. I am currently a student but plan to do something prosperous for the nation. We have been complaining of roads and light for a long time now instead of stealing technology to build one we started importing all the generators foreigners could make. The same roads, are what the foreigners would bring their equipments and tar for us to drive on with our own resources, the same cars are what foreigners wil build and sell. I mean look at that keke marwa motor that indians are making, if naija was innovative we would have started producing it and remixing it with better features and better comfort but NO we will wait until they produce another one for us to buy. The funny thing is that they all come to Africa to take resources for these productions and the only reason south Africa is manufacturing cars is because of the whites(africons) over there that know about recycling and conservation.
The government should watch what they allow them to do because we'll pay back big time if they are not checked. Is high time we start valuing Africa cuz even if you want to go to space u 'll need most of our resources; All of Africa is blessed with resources but foolishness, ignorance, begging, incompetence, self degradation and anything to belittle us are what we seem to embrace the most.
MAY GOD CHANGE OUR MENTALITY FROM FAILURE TO EMPOWERMENT.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by degoat: 11:22pm On Jun 07, 2007
By denex
Just fresh out of college, me and my crew proposed to a group of companies to sponsor a contemporary dance event and that was how I made my first and only N1m ever.

@denet
You still don't get it.
We are not here to advertise our accomplishments. We are here to unite and come up with better answers to resolve unemployment crisis in Nigeria.
Trust me, N1m N100m N200m N300m, even N500m means absolutely nothing to degoat (and you will find out later)
Another topic that calls for accomplishments will be posted soon. So, for now let us all shine some light on improving job opportunities for the citizens and save the future of our country.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by armanila(m): 12:23am On Jun 08, 2007
I have read most of your views and agree that Nigerians are a aggrieved lot especially in the employee section of the Indian owned Companies.
Some of the reasons are the Corrupt officials sitting in the Immigration,Customs,Internal revenue, who for money will do any thing to harm Nigerians than protect.
I personally know that Nigerians are as good as any in the world in all aspects of business but the problem the Indians do not trust them especially in area of accounts and store keeping.Accounting is where all the money made legally or illegally are taken out of the country without a kobo left back for the development of Nigeria or the poor in Nigeria.
The immigration do not even do a back ground check to see if the "so said qualified people"
not available are brought in by these Indian employers as all this is taken care of by Money.
I know of several cases that the Indians employed do not even know how to speak proper English nor are they qualified beyond school and with false certificates are brought into the country as Engineers and Technologist in various fields.
Maids are brought in from India as brothers or sisters of Indian Expats as though good maids are not available in Nigeria.
Second grade goods are brought into the country in collusion with the customs and the SON.
VAT is paid at a fudged Sales figure so that they can loot the country of its earning.
Tell me you can find one may be two Indian owned company who is helping Nigeria in some way ,most of them are looting the country in some way or the other with the help of Nigerians.
Now do you see why Nigerians are not given employment at many openings since if one them is honest to them selves or to the country will let the cat out of the bag then the company will supposedly be in trouble if they cannot bribe the investigating agency.
There are specific cases that I can quote but this is just food for thought.
Wake up Nigerians do not let the Indian or any Expat loot your country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by gattang202(m): 2:19pm On Jun 08, 2007
Hello,
we bdont have to have any beef for the indians for getting jobs in our country or anything.we should blame it on the system(our corrupt system).If the government put in place a good policy to ensure that we nigerians get a better and high paying jobs,the indians wont be getting all the jobs,and not that there is none but it is only the rich kids and few connected ones that are getting it, So,i quiet agree with seun that we must work harder than the indians in order for us to get the jobs, "remember because our parents her not connected does not mean that we can make things happen, remember we run things,things dont run we"
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by rookie(m): 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2007
So,i quiet agree with seun that we must work harder than the indians in order for us to get the jobs

what a shame!!!, we have to constantly prove ourselves  everywhere we go!! now, even in our own birthplace too? CRAZINESS,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by degoat: 4:49pm On Jun 08, 2007
So,i quiet agree with seun that we must work harder than the indians in order for us to get the jobs

Absolutely demonstration of craziness and immature state of mind.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by degoat: 6:13pm On Jun 09, 2007
I had a very interesting discussion regarding this topic with couple of Nigerian business owners last night.

Summary of the discussion:
Mr.A confirmed that he's ready to provide job opportunities to Nigerians as long as the senior managers are foreigners. His reasons for this "Nigerians do not respect one another, they prefer the command to come from a foreigner with  brighter skin colour" Mr.A also added that if you want your business to be successful, all the senior managers must be foreigners. (80% of his employees are Nigerians)

Mr.B confirmed that he doesn't believe in doing business with Nigerians in general. He stated that this group of people can not be trusted under any circumstances. He also added that he had lost so much in the past because of deals with Nigerians. He prefers to pay double to bring oyinbo back to Nigeria to run his businesses. He stated that this is the only way you can be successful as a business man in Nigeria. He gets more government contracts because of these foreigners and he will never change his business policy (no Nigerians). Excluding the drivers and cleaners the only 10 Nigerians out of 450 employees are his brothers and sisters.

Mr.C confirmed that he refuses to employ foreigners and things have been going well for him so far. Eventhough, 60% of his employees are Nigerians that studied in United States of America, while the rest are home made Nigerians. He admires everyone of his employees. He stated that they are honest, intelligent, dedicated and make things happen in a big way. They are in the process of introducing the 6th branch in Abuja less than 7 years in business. He said, he doesn't see or know anything special a foreigner can do that a Nigerian can not do better, Honesty and Dedication are the priceless factors. Anything else can be learned or thought.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by denex: 8:08pm On Jun 09, 2007
Mr. man, shey you see yourself now? Are the 60% foreign trained Nigerians not putting in the same input as foreigners?

Shebi you went to a Nigerian University? I went to a Nigerian University too and I must tell you that when I finished, I was bewildered by the functioning of things in the real world.

You expect me to hire a graduate of mechanical engineering who built an egusi dehusking machine for his final year project or the one that built a solar powered 4-wheel drive vehicle? I said it that these foreigners are mostly hired due to their hands-on experience, their work ethic and drive for excellence.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by superman(m): 10:34pm On Jun 09, 2007
to the analyst upstairs

forget the egwusi hot soup

not necessary

some of these foreigners are fake!

keep talkin but then u are not talking about how to fix up things technically etc

if u like sell aso rock to oyibo we dnt haved experience nigerians

oh well ha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by degoat: 12:24am On Jun 10, 2007
By Denex
Mr. man, shey you see yourself now? Are the 60% foreign trained Nigerians not putting in the same input as foreigners?

Shebi you went to a Nigerian University? I went to a Nigerian University too and I must tell you that when I finished, I was bewildered by the functioning of things in the real world.

You expect me to hire a graduate of mechanical engineering who built an egusi dehusking machine for his final year project or the one that built a solar powered 4-wheel drive vehicle? I said it that these foreigners are mostly hired due to their hands-on experience, their work ethic and drive for excellence.

Mr.Denex, I'm very sorry, you still do not get it. You fall in Mr.A's organization. "A Nigerian who refuses to respect his people and prefers command to come from a high school drop out foreigner"
It is very sad and for your information, I did not attend Nigerian university, but I have nothing but upmost respect for our universities, professors and Nigerians in general, for accomplishing so much with very little to work with.
As Mr.C continues to be my main man and role model, I do respect the ability and courage of Mr.A and Mr.B to operate their businesses in Nigeria. And I hope they will change their policies as time and innovation continue to change for better In Nigeria.

Mr.Denex, you're the next, what is your solution?
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by degoat: 2:53am On Jun 11, 2007
It has been confirmed by a reliable source that the new administration will pay more attention to unemployment issues in Nigeria. Job training and internship process will be modified and re-introduced.
I still think that elevating our educational standard in Nigeria will resolve 90% of this problem.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by Biafralord(m): 3:09am On Jun 11, 2007
The indians milk the cow, but they refuse to feed the cow. They must be expelled from Biafraland!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by denex: 12:02pm On Jun 11, 2007
I have already told you people my mind. When I get into government, the best man will get the job. There will be foreign ministers, foreign special advisers and foreign policemen. Anybody that can do the job best will be appointed. I don't have time for racism or tribalism.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by degoat: 11:41pm On Jun 11, 2007
By Denex
When I get into government

Denex, I hope you're ready, because in 20 years time you will have many foreigners (as you've recommended) to compete with, in order for you to get into government in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by SEFAGO(m): 1:52am On Jun 12, 2007
modification
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by denex: 4:42am On Jun 12, 2007
Come to think of it, do Indians come to Nigeria to look for jobs? The truth is that these Indians come to Nigeria to start up their own business. It is when Nigerian companies such as Globacom see how well these Indians are performing in their own business that they offer them jobs.
I am definitely not going to India to look for a job, if I go to India and start an innovative business, I will hire people based on what they can deliver to my firm. If it Nigerians or Europeans that best fit the executive positions in my company, I will hire them then give the other jobs to the Indians. Job openings including those for drivers and cleaners will definitely go to the locals. And if the Indian government tries to impose Indians on my company as executives, I will close down the company and several Indians I already hire in other positions will lose their jobs.

Don't you see that if the Indian government imposes its citizens on me to be employed in top positions in my company, they will not put in their best to work because they got the job not by merit but prejudice.
Abeg, I will close down my company and move to Vietnam.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by SEFAGO(m): 4:54am On Jun 12, 2007
I don't think you understood what I said. Try and start a really successful business in India and see if the indians would even let you start the business in peace. Every country- this is not racism- looks out for its own. They would not allow a nigerian man to start a business in their country and allow it to rival businesses formed by an indian.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by superman(m): 5:31am On Jun 12, 2007
they dnt just dnt know.

continue ur ass lickin
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by Nobody: 5:43am On Jun 12, 2007
denex:

I have already told you people my mind. When I get into government, the best man will get the job. There will be foreign ministers, foreign special advisers and foreign policemen. Anybody that can do the job best will be appointed. I don't have time for racism or tribalism.

After following this argument from the sidelines, I think I'll conclude that this guy is extremely naive and just does not know alot so we can pardon him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by denex: 5:44am On Jun 12, 2007
I'm done with this topic. I can feel a malignant tumor growing on the left frontal lobe of my brain already.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by denex: 5:51am On Jun 12, 2007
Please donzman, let's drop it cos I really really do not like Indians, it's just that they work so hard.
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by SEFAGO(m): 6:17am On Jun 12, 2007
I love winning arguments. So case closed. Indians are taking jobs debate:

Nairaland vs denex
10 0

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by rookie(m): 2:41pm On Jun 12, 2007
As long as Nigerian based Indian companies hire hardworking Nigerian without any prejudices (that is qualifed Nigerians are also offered executive positions and are able to grow within the company), more skills and experience will be passed down to their Nigerian employees. And perhaps, these Nigerians employees can grow in the field and start up their own businesses.

However, we can not rely on foreigners to share the best interest in the development of Nigerians and Nigeria as a nation. I am of opinion that the Nigerian goverment should include (or reinforce if existing) in the business regulation, laws that would not condone any bias or prejudice towards Nigerians
Re: Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? by denex: 3:00pm On Jun 12, 2007
@rookie

stop discussing this issue O! Are you not aware that some people are only here to win arguments.

CEFAGGOT denex
10 -10

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

House Of Representatives Intervenes In Diamond Bank Staff Retrenchment Dispute / Who Is Your Role Model? / 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.