Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,880 members, 7,806,534 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria (371468 Views)

Building A 2 Bedroom Flat / What Is The Cost Of Building A 4 Flat House In Ikorodu / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by luckyme9(f): 10:55am On Dec 29, 2010
Hi everyone, it's nice to be back in d house after almost 10 months break
@9ijaMan, since you are the current Actor of this tread. LOL. Can you give
a little break down of when, and how you were able to strech 1.6M on both
German floor and foundation, I'm sure you are not talking about a small flat
What I have in mind is about 2.5M or more, and that's been holding me back
from even starting this project. Meanwhile, my project is in Lekki area, behind the
Ibeju Secretariat to be precise.
Do you actually live in Naija?
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by luckyme9(f): 10:59am On Dec 29, 2010
I'm sorry, my post is hard to read, just as hard as it was for me to type them
Anyway, what is the current price of cement and 6inch block in both Lekki and
Ikotun environs?
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 9:44pm On Dec 29, 2010
luckyme9:

Hi everyone, it's nice to be back in d house after almost 10 months break
@9ijaMan, since you are the current Actor of this tread. LOL.   Can you give
a little break down of when, and how you were able to strech 1.6M on both
German floor and foundation,  I'm sure you are not talking about  a small flat
What I have in mind is about 2.5M or more, and that's been holding me back 
from even starting this project.  Meanwhile, my project is in Lekki area, behind the
Ibeju Secretariat to be precise.
Do you actually live in Naija?

I no be actor o! Just contributing my two cents. I would also plead to all the qty surveyors in da house, I'm not in anyway discounting your professional advice. I'm only giving free advice based on my personal experiences.

As per your question above, I think you'll need a lot more than 2.5M if your land is in a water logged area of lekki. Your may required upto 5M (if not more) to get a solid foundation if your land is in a mashy area.

However if na dry land, I bet you should be able to survive with less than 2M.

I'm not in Lagos and still don't have property (besides land) in Lagos, but I know for sure that the cost of building (in most major cities) in 9ja (excluding the cost of land) is generally similar from one city to another.

For a house that's 40ft by 100ft it cost me roughly 1.6M and that just about 100K higher than a similar project three year prior to the latest one.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by babaeko1: 10:03pm On Dec 29, 2010
Thanks 9jaman, I think your advice has certainly been well appreciated, my land is in a marshy water logged area, lekki scheme 2 to be precise, if i want to build a 2 wing duplex, are you suggesting that 5M may not be enough, also from your experience is it better to develop in big stages or do as much as your money can carry. I'm not based in Nija at the moment, so the idea of developing small small may not appeal to me. I want to work in big stages (milestones), foundation, arrange block to lintel, roof, then finish off.

If i want to keep my cost to the minimum but still get a highly decent job, any advice ? what do you also think about direct action approach i.e where i provide all materials and just pay for labour, is it something that is too huge to do in a building project ?
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by bukatalag: 6:31pm On Jan 03, 2011
Happy new year pple, Pls does anybody knows roughly how many bags of cements and plastering sand that will b use to plaster a 4flats of 3bedroom each all in suit both inside and outside.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 6:41pm On Jan 03, 2011
book for 250 to 300 bags of cement. It depends on the size of the house sha o!
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by babaeko1: 6:45pm On Jan 03, 2011
9ijaman, you didn't reply me
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 8:00pm On Jan 03, 2011
baba_eko:

Thanks 9jaman, I think your advice has certainly been well appreciated, my land is in a marshy water logged area, lekki scheme 2 to be precise, if i want to build a 2 wing duplex, are you suggesting that 5M may not be enough, also from your experience is it better to develop in big stages or do as much as your money can carry. I'm not based in Nija at the moment, so the idea of developing small small may not appeal to me. I want to work in big stages (milestones), foundation, arrange block to lintel, roof, then finish off.

If i want to keep my cost to the minimum but still get a highly decent job, any advice ? what do you also think about direct action approach i.e where i provide all materials and just pay for labour, is it something that is too huge to do in a building project ?

baba_eko:

9ijaman, you didn't reply me
Apologies o my brother. I actually thought I had replied you until I saw an update today. I did write a reply, apparently I never got to post it.

As per your questions:
If you want to build on a mash land, and you want quality job, I'll suggest you prepare to spend money. If you try to cut corners you'll blame yourself in the future. I was at a friend's house in Lekki two months ago while home on vacation and was shocked to notice that the high quality paint on his walls was peeling off around the bottom of the walls due to bad job in foundation and subsequent plastering. Hence you'll need around 5M to do a good job.

Based on my experience, it is better to buy your materials and pay for labour only. However you will still have to carry your labourers along. Seek for prices from as many independent sources as possible, ensure you make calls home at least once a week when normal jobs are on going and on practically a daily basis when you are performing critical jobs such as foundation and deck work.

I always prefer to break down my projects into milestones or phases and will not release funds until I have enough money to execute each phase. It's better for accounting purposes and makes me to track my finances and plan effectively. Sample milestones/phases /stages for a single storey 4 flat apartment building may include (but not limited to):
Stage 1: Foundation including all other site prep work such as access roads, septic tanks and pits, borehole if needed etc;
Stage 2: Ground floor block (brick) work along with the pillars and lintel;
Stage 3: Deck work;
Stage 4: Top floor block/brick work along with associated lintels and pillars.
Stage 5: Roofing and ceiling work;
Stage 6: Doors & door frames, plumbing and plastering:
Stage 7: Final finishing and tidying.

The first and the third stage are relatively expensive. The last stage will often be the most expensive depending on your taste. I spent well over 7M  on one of my projects for the last stage. It paid off as I started with a rent which was more than double the average rate for my location.

I should also mention that I have a friend who studied building tech and was the guy on the ground since I'm also residing outside 9ja. However, I know every single chief labourer on my sites in person and we address ourselves by our first names or by the names of our kids. Hence you will really have to create the time to visit your site at least twice through the lifespan of the building phase. You should also partake in negotiating every deal, not necessarily make the final decision, just ensure you are in the know as per what sort of agreement must have been made.

I can refer you to my friend if you need him to assist. He's working on my current project and for a number of my friends too. Obviously he gets paid for his work, 'cos that's solely what he does.

I hope I have been able to answer your question.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by bukatalag: 9:38pm On Jan 03, 2011
Thx 9ja man, Pls how many tipper of plastering sand will I need?
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by oludy: 11:36pm On Jan 03, 2011
9ja man. Nice work you are doing? My wife and myself were discussing how much it would cost to finish a self contained apartment(call it BQ if you like- just a living room, a bedroom, toilet and kitchen) from foundation to finish. I would imagine N500k will do the job. The idea is to do this first and then take time to build a proper bungalow or 2/4 flats later.

Honestly, will N500k do? If it won't, I guess it will make no sense then. Would rather wait and build a proper flat.

Thanks for your feedback. And BTW, happy new year folks.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by bukatalag: 7:40pm On Jan 04, 2011
9jaman I still dey expect ur reply o, Many thx
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 7:54pm On Jan 04, 2011
oludy:

9ja man. Nice work you are doing? My wife and myself were discussing how much it would cost to finish a self contained apartment(call it BQ if you like- just a living room, a bedroom, toilet and kitchen) from foundation to finish. I would imagine N500k will do the job. The idea is to do this first and then take time to build a proper bungalow or 2/4 flats later.

Honestly, will N500k do? If it won't, I guess it will make no sense then. Would rather wait and build a proper flat.

Thanks for your feedback. And BTW, happy new year folks.

500K will probably do the job if you decide not to plaster the external walls. You'll probably not be able to paint the house too. BTW I don't know where your site is situated. You'll need about 1000 blocks from foundation to roof level. I'll advice 9" blocks, and that'll be roughly 110k at current average price. You'll need additional 300 blocks for your septic tank (where ur shit goes into, grin) another 33K i.e almost 150K for Blocks only. You'll pay for labour assume =N=30 per block (very conservative, but you may be able to get a better deal sha). The rest will include:
Other labour work such as digging, sand filling your foundation, plumbing, electrical, carpentry work etc. all may be estimated to be at about 100K in total if you can negotiate very well o!

Then you now have to talk about cement, sand, gravel (cheaper than granite), plumbing materials, electrical materials, wood for doors, farmes and your little kitchenette.
Honestly speaking I can't really confirm if 500K will do the job. If you have 1M you'll do just fine.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 7:56pm On Jan 04, 2011
bukata lag:

Thx 9ja man,  Pls how many tipper of plastering sand will I need?
bukata lag:

9jaman I still dey expect your reply o,  Many thx
Sorry sir!
In my own case I think I started with about 10 loads, but can't recall if I actually bought more. Start with 10 and then you can buy some more which will probably be up to a maximum of 4 if need be.
Please note that it all depends on the size i.e. surface area of your house o!
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by ebonybabe: 2:29am On Jan 05, 2011
Happy New Year and more Blessings from The Lord to Everyone kiss

Hi 9ijaMan
I have being reading all yr info on building VVVery Good bro
please can you kindly me advice on how much will complete a 3 bedroom bungalow which has been roofed, plastered in and out, the soaker way, fenced with gate. But the flooring has not been done also the the burglary have not been done, only filling has been done, so which is better to do the German floor or what but am fed up of the way people just request for money and i get am kind of disappointed especially with know people and the work going so slow in which am thinking about renting a place 4 myself while i finish the project, or abandon it, cos its cos me alot my sending money.
Thanks
undecided
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 10:24am On Jan 05, 2011
ebonybabe:

Happy New Year and more Blessings from The Lord to Everyone kiss

Hi 9ijaMan
I have being reading all yr info on building VVVery Good bro
please can you kindly me advice on how much will complete a 3 bedroom bungalow which has been roofed, plastered in and out, the soaker way, fenced with gate. But the flooring has not been done also the the burglary have not been done, only filling has been done, so which is better to do the German floor or what but am fed up of the way people just request for money and i get am kind of disappointed especially with know people and the work going so slow in which am thinking about renting a place 4 myself while i finish the project, or abandon it, cos its cos me alot my sending money.
Thanks
undecided

My rbother your own is a bit difficult o! Firstly, I do not have an idea of the location of your site, 'cos the farther away you may be from Lagos (in particular) or other major cities, the more expensive the cost of finishing stage of a property, if you want to do a quality job. It also depends largely on your taste. Flooring (german floor) is perhaps the cheapest part of what you have left. You should easily get that done with less than 200K. Hoever if you want to go into tiling and other aesthetic floor finishing, you budget has to shoot up significantly.

In a nut shell, the amount you will spend depends largely on your taste and to some extent on the size of your property.

For a moderately tasteful finishing you'll need 2 to 3M to make the house quite comfy. That's not to say that 500K or 1M wil not do the job, but it certainly will not be the kind of house I would love to live in unless I'm really hard up with funds.

In the same vein, I can spend 5M on the same project and come up with a more beautiful finishing.

My brother, it simply cut your coat according to your pocket!

If you let me know precisely what you have in mind, I may be able to shed more light.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by ebonybabe: 11:52am On Jan 05, 2011
9nja man
Thank you 4 yr response today actually the site is in akute area and when you mentioned what i have in mind is that the flooring i hope it to be tiles, but as you said 2-3 Mil hey na wa especially in the economic climate that we are in, but with God All things are possible

Thanks again
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by Buchi2010: 1:58am On Jan 11, 2011
Forumites,
I planning to build 6 bedroom Flats at Enugu and would like to have idea of cost of completing this project. There will be no land filling and all that. Concentration would be normal foundation, block work, roofing and plastering.

I will appreciate feedbacks from forumites who have completed a building project recently.
Any suggestions on best standard materials and suppliers would help.

Thanks

Buchi2010
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by Mylesudeh: 9:38pm On Jan 18, 2011
Hi guys, Can someone give a an estimated cost of a foundation for a 5 bedroom duplex with 2 flats in the back? Land is in Sangotedo Lagos and its dry.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by Mylesudeh: 9:48pm On Jan 19, 2011
KKonsult; can u address my needs
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by fizzybaba(m): 6:19pm On Jan 20, 2011
excluding cost of land, how much will it cost to construct a three bedroom bungalow at ibafo, land is in good state
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by igbanbajo(m): 7:38am On Jan 21, 2011
bookmarked
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by Actionleap: 11:49pm On Jan 21, 2011
Hello, i would advise you to be careful in sending money home to even your brother. Most Nigerians are very wicked to you guys in diaspora. I would advise you to gather the money, plan your leave and come home. Build the little you can do till you come back next time. Who will be collecting the rent for you if you build for commercial purpose? Or do you plan to give it as pension to some relations? (laugh).
In Abuja, i have never seen a true Nigerian like Mr. Yinka Odejobi. I met him when i was working for a UK-based telecom company in Abuja in 2003. He helped got a geniune land @330k without adding a kobo to the price from the seller. Not only that, he encouraged me to start work on site. When i complained of not having enough to start, he took me to his own site and showed me what N10k did that day. Cement was sold for N300 at that time. I started dropping money with him during weekend when i travel back to Abuja. Within 2003 and 2004, he completed the building - an 8unit mini-flat. I came back to Lagos in 2004, he has been collecting the rent for me since 2005 till date. I have been to Abuja only in 2010 on his request that some tenants refused to pay. Most time i wonder if he's a Nigeria. No wonder, he is bless with several houses too. lanregrace71@yahoo.com
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by Actionleap: 11:54pm On Jan 21, 2011
Hello guys. I can recommend you guys to my structural engineer. Austin Llymel on 08036216402. He can do the costing for you guys and if you decide to use him to handle the project, i can vouch for his character. I can even guarrantee any amount you give him. He is thorough though, but you will be glad you engaged him. Tell him he's on recommendation from ATM Limited, he will understand.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by luckyme9(f): 6:07am On Jan 22, 2011
Thanks to 9ijaman and everyone contrubing on the forum.
I need help on where to get good quality entry doors (metal) in Lagos and price range.
If anyone can help me with pictures, that would be great. I need to replace my balcony doors,
they are 6ft each.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by mikedeoye(m): 4:37pm On Jan 24, 2011
i need a quick advice from the Buidling experts in the house.

Now to the experts in the house,

I'm in the middle of a 4 bedroom Bungalow project with a pre-sit area, a relatively large sitting room and a family lounge. The master bed room is quite large and ensuite while the remaining 3 rooms are standard in size and ensuite. There is a guest toilet, store and laundary as well

Can someone pls do a draft of much i shld expect to expend on plastering the whole house based on the few information i gave above.

Kindly break the cost down into estimated number of cement bags, sand load, labour etc. The site is located some where around lakowe. Pls what is is the going rate for Cement?

Will appreciate a quick feedback from the experts in the house.

Thanks all for ur advises.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by twinskenny(m): 12:49pm On Feb 11, 2011
I dont know that this thread exist
i just acquired a plot of land in Ibafo ogun state, i dont have enough capital to do everything at once. so i havev decided that i will be dealing with the building process step by step, at least i want to be investing like 50k eeverymonth on it. please kindly advice on the process of realizing my dream. i have a plan of putting up a 5 bedroom flat on the land.

thanks
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by OpsE1: 2:50pm On Feb 11, 2011
Gents,
I have progressed my property to finishing level and need to continue. Can someone help me with prices of the following in Port Harcourt;
1 Spanish tiles per m3
2 Italian tiles per m3
3 Chiness tiles per m3
4 W/C with toilet
5 Bath top
6 Kitchen cabinet (descent one)
7 Wardrobe.

Response will be highly appreciated.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by menwereuzo: 6:04am On Feb 17, 2011
Please guys,
I will like to know the cost of buying a plot of land in PH and building 4 flats of 3 bed rooms each. I will also like to know the cost of building 4 flats with 3 bed rooms each.
I actually want to start building but will like to have an idea before I start to build. Your contribution will be truly appreciated. I really do not know the cost of building materials now in Nigeria.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 6:08am On Feb 17, 2011
twinskenny:

I dont know that this thread exist
i just acquired a plot of land in Ibafo ogun state,  i dont have enough capital to do everything at once. so i havev decided that i will be dealing with the building process step by step, at least i want to be investing like 50k eeverymonth on it. please kindly advice on the process of realizing my dream. i have a plan of putting up a 5 bedroom flat on the land.

thanks
My brother, 50k monthly is not a bad idea, however the amount is too small and you may end up being frustrated. Considering the size of your planned building, you'll spend decades to tidy up the house if you go at such snail's pace. You may need to work on the project on a 6 months basis and try to push yourself a bit more to make it at least 500k every 6 months. The earlier and/or faster you work on the house the less the amount of money you spend overall.

Much of the 50k/month will be spent on transportation and logistics, Buying in bulk is a lot cheaper.

Ops E:

Gents,
I have progressed my property to finishing level and need to continue. Can someone help me with prices of the following in Port Harcourt;
1 Spanish tiles per m3
2 Italian tiles per m3
3 Chiness tiles per m3
4 W/C with toilet
5 Bath top
6 Kitchen cabinet (descent one)
7 Wardrobe.

Response will be highly appreciated.

I also need answers to some of the questions you asked. I'm getting to that phase soon too.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by Mylesudeh: 1:08am On Feb 18, 2011
9jaman, help ur guy i beg. I have a dry land at Sangotedo in lekki, I want to build a duplex with 2 flats at the back. for foundation alone, I have gotten 3 diffrent qoutes: N3.8mil, N3.4mil, and N4.5mil. pls anyone with an idea as to what it runs to build the foundation should help me out.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 10:14am On Feb 19, 2011
Mylesudeh:

9jaman, help your guy i beg. I have a dry land at Sangotedo in lekki, I want to build a duplex with 2 flats at the back. for foundation alone, I have gotten 3 diffrent qoutes: N3.8mil, N3.4mil, and N4.5mil. pls anyone with an idea as to what it runs to build the foundation should help me out.
You'll need to be more specific. Giving some insight about planned dimensions may be of help.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by SleekReek(m): 9:15pm On Feb 20, 2011
9aija i need your advice,I have a 2plot of land 100 by 100 and i intend to put a wall in-between dividing it into two plots of100 by 50 and build a 4 bedroom duplex on one side and a block of 4 bedroom flats in the other plot 100 by 50.Is this possible? How much will cost to build the duplex?,i'm looking at a budget of about 10-12million for the duplex.

Thanks for assisting.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

BRICKS,BRICK,BRICK TILES,BURNT BRICKS,RED BRICKS,FOR SALE IN NIGERIA. ✯✯✯✯✯ ☸☸ / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex / Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.