Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,232 members, 7,807,767 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

Glo Launches Dstv Mobile - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Glo Launches Dstv Mobile (6364 Views)

Glo Launches Another Whooping Data Plan, Will You Rock It? / Glo Launches 'Glo Gista' 15 Kobo Per Second New Tariff / GLO Launches 'GBAM Hi Five' 5 Kobo Per Second New Tariff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by jdoss: 12:59am On Dec 11, 2010
http://marketingworldmag.com/wp/globacom-launches-dstv-mobile-on-glo-network.html

Subscribers of major West African mobile service provider, Globacom, can now watch DStv programmes on their mobile phones as the company rolls out the DStvMOBILE service on Glo.

The product, called, DStvMOBILE on Glo is offered in partnership with Details Nigeria Limited, the provider of DStvMOBILE. DStvMOBILE on Glo brings the rich experience of DStv to Glo subscribers who are connected to the service and have special DVB-H enabled handsets.

Globacom’s  Head of Value Added Services, Mr. Samson Isa said that  Glo subscribers who sign up to DStvMOBILE on Glo will enjoy a wide range of programming from news channels such as CNN to entertainment and movie channels such as Africa Magic,  Magic World, Africa Magic Yoruba, Africa Magic Hausa, Channel O, Sound city, Cartoon Network, TBN, Super Sport 7, Super Sport 9, Super Sport Blitz and NTA Plus. Subscribers to the service will also enjoy super fast Internet access.

“The High Speed Internet  Service on the package is connected to the GLO 1 Cable”, Isa disclosed, adding that this gives the subscriber a robust and seamless viewing experience. He explained that DStvMOBILE from Glo comes with Nokia 5330, one month free High Speed Internet bundle and free DStvMOBILE subscription until 31 March, 2011. The handset can be used to make and receive calls and for internet browsing.

Isa said Mobile TV is the silver lining in the home entertainment and information industry providing a variety of top-quality content. He said that traffic congestion which translates to long hours of commuting with attendant boredom has made the DStvMOBILE a necessary product in the Nigerian market.  “ Very busy executives resident in urban and suburban centres, who have very long commuting time and also travel regularly for business purposes do not want to miss out on anything that is happening, be it news, entertainment or sports,” he said.

Mayo Okunola, General Manager of DStvMOBILE West Africa said, “offering the DStvMOBILE service through Glo has finally become a reality for us as a company.  The DStv Mobile service is provided on DStvMOBILE’s broadcast infrastructure and therefore  has no impact on the existing Glo network and infrastructure. The value addition to the consumers will be a real winner.  Most importantly, it is a confirmation that mobile TV is here to stay”.

The service is available, to start with, in 10 Nigerian cities including Lagos, Ibadan, Benin, Asaba, Onitsha, Enugu, Aba, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Kaduna.
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by aieromon(m): 7:34am On Dec 11, 2010
Nice one.Now we can have competitive pricing when the free service expires by March.
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by twinskenny(m): 10:28am On Dec 11, 2010
thats a good one from GLO
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by Dabss(m): 1:08pm On Dec 11, 2010
dnt understand why there is no app for it yet.
Or is there any special hardware requirement?
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by texazzpete(m): 1:18pm On Dec 11, 2010
Da_b¤§§.:

dnt understand why there is no app for it yet.
Or is there any special hardware requirement?

Requires DVB-H compatible handsets.

I dunno why they didn't just go and get the Drifta mobile decoder thingy. That nokia 5330 is a thoroughly crappy phone. Not interested.
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by DoubleN(m): 7:20pm On Dec 11, 2010
Good news! Competition is always great for business.
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by nellaluv(f): 8:46pm On Dec 11, 2010
Hmmm
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by tomiade1(m): 12:33am On Dec 13, 2010
wink wink wink wink cool
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by cupid4ig(m): 12:37am On Dec 13, 2010
rubbish they should put super sports 3 if and mnet if they want to make customer cos all the stations suck right now i put my etisalat sim in my nokia 5330 and my mtn in my bb
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by COMPAQ(m): 3:30pm On Dec 15, 2010
There needs to be a way to get ALL smartphones etc to be able to show Dstv mobile. Glo and Dstv can't expect everyone to by the Nokia 5330. Can't some sort of update be downloaded to a Bb or N97, Nokia 5800 etc to enable those handsets show Dstv mobile??
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by talk2medo(m): 4:24pm On Dec 15, 2010
DSTV on my N96 with GLO, this is wonderful. grin grin grin
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by maingate1(m): 4:54pm On Dec 15, 2010
Glo dey fall my hand o. Imagine them going for 5330 a java phone.DSTV dat cannot work Without earphone. Anyway N77 DSTv remain my choice because it work without earphone and also na symbian
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by zenus(m): 9:04pm On Dec 15, 2010
Yet 3G is still lacking in some state
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by Ozegbe(m): 9:11pm On Dec 15, 2010
@zenus pls can u upload more symbian 3 games.
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by frgy1: 1:35am On Dec 16, 2010
zenus:

Yet 3G is still lacking in some state
in most states, infact i dont think it's in up to 7 states(out of which only a part of the state is coverd. Eg. Only ibadan in oyo state)
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by NumberOne2(m): 1:56am On Dec 16, 2010
With the current price of GPRS in this country, I don't think this idea will work. How much do they intend to charge per month? Plus they have limited themselves to a specific phone. So which is better, buying the Nokia phone or buying the DSTV dish?
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by SeunT2(m): 10:57am On Dec 16, 2010
Number_One:

With the current price of GPRS in this country, I don't think this idea will work. How much do they intend to charge per month? Plus they have limited themselves to a specific phone. So which is better, buying the Nokia phone or buying the DSTV dish?

let watch and see . . . .
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by zaidon: 1:12pm On Jan 13, 2011
somebody should help me on how to configure my 5330 wit glo to watch dstv
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by cardoso111(m): 12:12am On Jan 14, 2011
and how much is the dstv glo package pls?
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by bily(m): 7:43am On Jan 17, 2011
dstv mobile does not use internet connections to stream, so u will not be paying data charges, just ya dstv syuubscription charges. pls take note,
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by spacyzuma(m): 10:37am On Jul 01, 2011
After weeks of trying, I've been able to subscribe to DSTV on my Nokia N8 using Globacom.

Only the FREE package [NTA and Channel O] is available. MINI and MAXI packages are missing.
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by pipino31: 6:15pm On Sep 14, 2011
pls, am havin problems subscribin to dstv mobile, since june. The problem is, it always saying you re not allowed to subscribe to this service contact the service provider, and my service providers don't know how to solve the problem. Wht do i do? Because i bought this phone just because of dstvmobile, now is of no use since june. Am 4rom lagos nigeria, this is my number: 07065642402. Iyke.
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by Mortiple(m): 6:31pm On Sep 14, 2011
pipino31:

pls, am havin problems subscribin to dstv mobile, since june. The problem is, it always saying you re not allowed to subscribe to this service contact the service provider, and my service providers don't know how to solve the problem. Wht do i do? Because i bought this phone just because of dstvmobile, now is of no use since june. Am 4rom lagos nigeria, this is my number: 07065642402. Iyke.

Seems to me like an abandoned project, as DSTV only talks about DRIFTA nowadays, which is a better alternative to this other one anyway. Drifta cost about N15,000. I equally bought the phone for the same purpose; so that I could use it when I am outdoor.

What you can do? Use the phone; sell it off (though may not see anyone who would buy it at its original price) and probably use it money to buy Drifta; give it out as gift (blessed is the hand that giveth , '); etc.
Re: Glo Launches Dstv Mobile by NumberOne2(m): 1:46am On Sep 15, 2011

I quote myself again.

(1) (Reply)

Checkout This Super Smartphone That Costs Just #37,000 (picture) / Dell Venue 7 Firmware And Flashing Tutorial / Old Popular Sites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.