Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1212440 members, 1570614 topics. Date: Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 08:04 AM

Igbo Jews - Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics / Igbo Jews (3564 Views)

CNN: Nigeria's Igbo Jews - 'Lost Tribe' Of Israel / Nigeria Igbo Jews Lost Tribe Of Israel- Cnn / Nigeria's 'igbo Jews' On Film (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 4:41am On Jun 01, 2007
I am hearing a lot about Igbo's and the Jews, even Yoruba and Hausa Jewish communities but the Igbo's in particular.

Can any body explain how that works?

Do most Igbo's consider themselves the descendants of Gad, Zervulun and Menasshe? Despite any modern religion they might have?
Re: Igbo Jews by NINETOFIVE(m): 9:31pm On Jun 01, 2007
Here is a link on wikipedia about this subject, I hope there are many more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Jews

The Igbo, the third largest ethnic group in Nigeria, believe that they are descendants of Jews who had migrated to western Africa over many centuries. The population came south into sub-Saharan Africa and west across North Africa, possibly following the path of the Arab conquests. Some Nigerian Jews hold that families amongst the community are descendants of Kohanim and Levites, the Jewish priests and their assistants who functioned in the Temple of Jerusalem. Descendants could also have arisen from migrants from Djerba, Tunisia who had fled to North Africa after the destruction of the 1st and 2nd Temples in Jerusalem. The Jewish community is said to be comprised almost entirely by descendants of Kohens.

Several Israelite/Jewish tribes settled in Western Africa during the glorious days of the Songhai, Mali and Ghana empires. As the early Jews were mainly traders, it is quite likely that Jewish traders made the trek across the African continent and eventually settled in various places of West Africa, just as Jewish traders had settled in Kaifeng, China due to their activity in trade along the Silk Road. Some sources have explained that a Jewish presence was present in Nigeria as early as 638 BCE. The Igbos are not the only group that claims such a heritage; the Sefwi people of Ghana, too, believe they are descendants of Jews that made their way to West Africa.

The Islamic ruling parties took power in West Africa from the 1300's to 1400's. Al-Maghili was responsible for the death of members Sahara and savanna Jewry. in 1492 the Jewish enclaves in the Tuat, Mali were destroyed. Western Sudan and Songhai banished Jews from the empire's cities. [3]In Mali, there had been a documented community for quite some time until all Jewish families converted to Islam and until today there remains a Jewish Culture Society in Mali where those descendants of Jews seek to explore their culture and heritage.

Perhaps the Jews of Nigeria suffered the same fate and with the arrival of Islam were either forced to leave the territory or submit to the Islamic domination. It is believed that Judaism first came to the region many centuries ago, as many as 1500 years by traders, a profession that Jews during that time were prolific at. The Igbo Jews traditionally claim descent from three particular Israelite tribes: Gad, Zevulun, and Menashe. The Jews of Manipur and Mizoram, the Bnei Menashe, also claim descent from the tribe of Menashe. It is thought that these Jews fled to Africa after the destruction of the biblical Temples in Jerusalem and established communities all across the African continent.

Israel has, to date, not recognized the Igbo as one of the Lost Tribes of Israel. It took many years before the Chief Rabbinate recognized the Bnei Menashe as Jews, and it is thought that in due time the Igbo will also be recognized as descendants of Israel. One of the theories as to why Israel is reluctant to recognize the Igbo is because it has enjoyed good relations with Nigeria, and as the Igbo are a secessionist tribe, recognizing them as part of Israel may injure political and economic ties between the two countries. In 1967, Israel covertly transferred arms captured during the 1967 Six-Day War to Biafra, to help the Igbos liberate themselves and officially declare independence from Nigeria. This Igbo effort culminated in the Biafra War, led by Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu.
Re: Igbo Jews by Donzman(m): 8:37am On Jun 02, 2007
It's just opportunistic talk, we're not Jews!
Re: Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 2:28pm On Jun 02, 2007

Thank you. It's interesting to me because this is like the third line of anscestry that I have looked up that has led to a possible Jewish relative.
Re: Igbo Jews by ghettochyk(f): 11:52pm On Jun 03, 2007
i've only started hearing about dat since i've become active on Nigerian forums. I'm gonna ask my mom about it, i doubt she'll even know. i also heard dat there's another tribe in Ghana dat's supposedly Jewish too.
who was in Igboland before these "Jews" migrated there? was the land empty and waiting for them to arrive and them eventually get darker, "create" a new language called "Igbo", forget Hebrew (or wateva they spoke) and become the third largest ethnic group in Nigeria? someone enlighten me.
Re: Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 2:00am On Jun 04, 2007
ghettochyk:

i've only started hearing about that since i've become active on Nigerian forums. I'm going to ask my mom about it, i doubt she'll even know. i also heard that there's another tribe in Ghana that's supposedly Jewish too.
who was in Igboland before these "Jews" migrated there? was the land empty and waiting for them to arrive and them eventually get darker, "create" a new language called "Igbo", forget Hebrew (or whatever they spoke) and become the third largest ethnic group in Nigeria? someone enlighten me.

From what I have learned, The Igbo Jews migrated to that part of Africa because of the atrocity's in Israel -- when Israel was scattered and/or captured and sent to Babylon.

Supposedly they have ancient bibles over 1500 years old. These old worn out pages are treated with much tenderness and care.

Also internal evidence i.e. the fact that they know the exact tribes they are descended from and have carefully preserved that information generation to generation, testify's to the fact that at least they are absolutely sure they are Jews. They abstain from eating non-biblical foods, wear a form of talits and other Jewish garb. etc. All of this has gone a long way towards the world believing them, that they are Jews.

Israel definitely believes them. They send preachers, books, prayer books, computers and have set up schools to teach about traditional Judaism.

No DNA tests have been done yet.

The Lemba Jews which are scattered all over Southern Africa -- have been DNA tested and found to be Jewish.
Re: Igbo Jews by ghettochyk(f): 2:05am On Jun 04, 2007
wow. so if i go do a dna test, it will/may prove dat i'm a jewish descendant or link me back to me , i.e. Igbo?

well, dis is another interesting subject dat i'd like to look into also.
Re: Igbo Jews by ghettochyk(f): 2:07am On Jun 04, 2007
Re: Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 2:10am On Jun 04, 2007
GhettoChick,

You would have to get your brother or Father tested. The test for Jewishness is for the Cohen Gene, the Levitical Priesthood.

It has to be found among the male members of a tribe, there is another way to test for Jewishness but I think it relates only to Russian Jews, who developed a certain gene from diseases that is not found in other populations, even of Jews but non-russian Jews.
Re: Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 2:16am On Jun 04, 2007
GhettoChick,

The test I took distinquished between Igbo's and Yoruba and Hausa and Ibiobio's about a dozen other tribes, just in Nigeria.

Yet it did not go deeply and distinquish between Efik and other types of Igbo's, the way I understand it.
Re: Igbo Jews by ghettochyk(f): 2:17am On Jun 04, 2007
i see. but i wonder how come after all these years why they never bothered getting tested.

i went back and read your post again. so where there already Igbos in Nigeria before the migration, but now there are Jewish people who, after migration, eventually joined the already existing population of Igbos?
                                                                           or
where there no Igbo group until the Jews came and then BECAME known as the IGBOS of Nigeria?
Re: Igbo Jews by ghettochyk(f): 2:18am On Jun 04, 2007
Drusilla:

GhettoChick,

The test I took distinquished between Igbo's and Yoruba and Hausa and Ibiobio's about a dozen other tribes, just in Nigeria.

Yet it did not go deeply and distinquish between Efik and other types of Igbo's, the way I understand it.
oh. is dis in response to my question in the other thread?
Re: Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 2:31am On Jun 04, 2007
ghettochyk:

i see. but i wonder how come after all these years why they never bothered getting tested.

i went back and read your post again. so where there already Igbos in Nigeria before the migration, but now there are Jewish people who, after migration, eventually joined the already existing population of Igbos?
or
where there no Igbo group until the Jews came and then BECAME known as the IGBOS of Nigeria?

Befire the DNA was mapped out, it probably was possible but even more expensive to try and find your roots.

Now companies are going crazy to get all Americans to get their DNA tested.

350 dollars for a DNA test is now seen as reasonable cost. But there is a company that does a gene test for like 99 dollars. Yet I think they require you to sign away your rights to the results so that they can use them to catlog even more people.

They test for any paternal or maternal gene that has been catologed.

---- I do not know any more information about the who, where and why of Igbo Jews.

Hero, another African American poster here who is part Igbo and is married to an Igbo wife. Knows more about the issue than, I do.
Re: Igbo Jews by ghettochyk(f): 2:39am On Jun 04, 2007
ok. well, i'm good. lol! at dat price, i'm willing to accept that my roots end at Igbo. I love Igbo anyways smiley if the test was cheaper, i would have done it just for the fun of it. I have a very curious mind. wink in the end, all i can say is kudos to Igbos that believe they're Jews. Me being jewish won't change my condition. lol! i'm very satisfied with being just Igbo.

but really, i wonder what would make someone (a tribe) from the MOTHERLAND, not even Somalia that's close to the Middle East, believe they're something apart from the obivous (AFRICAN).
Re: Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 3:01am On Jun 04, 2007
GhettoChick,

Nothing is wrong with Igbo.

However there is something terribly wrong with Tom, Sally and Sue, the slave anscestor.

A person wants more information than that about their anscestors. So AA might have a little reason to be more excited about getting past "Tom,Sally and Sue".

You already know your roots. Save your money. Smile.
Re: Igbo Jews by ghettochyk(f): 3:28am On Jun 04, 2007
lol. yeah, but i was referring to the Igbos that are looking to Jew as their ancestrial lineage.
Re: Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 3:38am On Jun 04, 2007
Smile. Test your brother or Father or Uncle. LOL Smile.
Re: Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 4:13am On Jun 04, 2007
GhettoChick,

I was making a joke about testing your brothers etc, instead because of your signature. That is what was so funny to me.
Re: Igbo Jews by ghettochyk(f): 5:53am On Jun 04, 2007
lmao!!! oh! dat didn't even cross my mind. lol!
Re: Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 6:14am On Jun 04, 2007
Smile
Re: Igbo Jews by ghettochyk(f): 6:18am On Jun 04, 2007
ok, i might go change it to "test me" just for the time being.
Re: Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 6:57am On Jun 04, 2007
GhettoChick,

No, keep your signature. Since this whole DNA thing came about. I have been thinking about how exactly are they testing all these Africans and collecting their DNA samples.

Every year the database of African DNA lineages are getting bigger.

I doubt very much that Africans are sharing in any of the profit of their DNA being used for commercial purposes.

I need to go to a happy place. tongue It gets me riled up just thinking about it.
Re: Igbo Jews by naijadiva2(f): 3:37pm On Jun 04, 2007
I am hearing a lot about Igbo's and the Jews, even Yoruba and Hausa Jewish communities but the Igbo's in particular.

Can any body explain how that works?

Do most Igbo's consider themselves the descendants of Gad, Zervulun and Menasshe? Despite any modern religion they might have?

supposedly, the igbos ancestors are jewish or whatever. thats what i heard and t hey say our culture is almost related to the jewish culture. i don't know how true that is though.
Re: Igbo Jews by fromuk(m): 6:21pm On Jun 09, 2007
na palestinian BOMB una d invite for IGBO landoooo. I travel ooooooooooooooo.
Re: Igbo Jews by Drusilla(f): 4:52am On Jun 13, 2007
No bombs. Just interesting.
Re: Igbo Jews by USnaijagrl(f): 9:48pm On Aug 08, 2008
We should actually take this seriously and get tested, the Lemba people are BANTU african and they did it they found out the truth. We should do the same, and not be so scared. The lemba people are still Lemba even though they found out more about their origins, it's not so wrong for us to do the same, but we stay making jokes about it and doubting. There only way to know for sure is to, GET TESTED IGBO PEOPLE GET TESTED!~!!!
Re: Igbo Jews by beonye: 1:53pm On Oct 09, 2010
Igbos are not jews. Igbos are hebrews. an Ephramite is from ephraim, a levite is from levi, a Gadite is from Gad and a jew is from Judah. it is quite wrong and insulting to categorise an ephramite as a jew or a Gadite as another tribe. hebrew is the nationality , while the other tribes are the tribal sections of hebrews.

Yes there are great similarties btw the eretz israel (Present day israel) and the igbos.

Igbos have been formerly confirmed this year 2010 as hebrew jews. you can check it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsHYdL0UTR4

shalom

1 Like

Re: Igbo Jews by MaziUche0(m): 6:34pm On Oct 10, 2010
Maybe we should all get tested.

Look at the Lemba people of Southern Africa. They are descendants of the Jews.
Re: Igbo Jews by bkbabe97y(m): 12:29am On Oct 11, 2010
Well, except Jews also eat people, sell drugs, scam innocent folks, kidnap lil kids and kill their Nurse wives. . . . . .
Re: Igbo Jews by RSA(m): 3:36pm On Oct 14, 2010
The moral of the story is Africans hate themself.Why can't you say Jew are Igbo.
Re: Igbo Jews by jason12345: 12:34am On Oct 15, 2010
look whether or not igbos are jew or not it does not matter, how does that affect ur lives
so if igbos are jews they would go back to Israel
well what if jews were originally igbos, what would u say about that shocked
and just for the record igbos are not jews originally unless they want to convert to the jewish faith. before colonisation were igbos not worshiping amadoha (god of thunder)
Re: Igbo Jews by AndreUweh(m): 10:53pm On Oct 15, 2010
jason12345:

look whether or not igbos are jew or not it does not matter, how does that affect your lives
so if igbos are jews they would go back to Israel
well what if jews were originally igbos, what would u say about that shocked
and just for the record igbos are not jews originally unless they want to convert to the jewish faith. before colonisation were igbos not worshiping amadoha (god of thunder)
Do not be silly, monkey. Who told you Igbos ever worshipped Amadioha?. Do you know what is Amadioha?.
Ndigbo never worshipped Amadioha but God in heaven who they call Chukwu okike, Chukwu abiami, Obasi Binaelu, Olisabuluwa, Olisa, Olise, Chineke, etc.
Do not type what you do not know.

(0) (1) (Reply)

The Efulefu Amongst The Ndigbo / MASSOB Officials Introduce Biafran Pound In Enugu / The Lion Of Biafra!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 520
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.