Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,701 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:19 PM

Coding Habit: What Habits Help You Code? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Coding Habit: What Habits Help You Code? (965 Views)

What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding / Java Coding Challenge: Task Scheduler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coding Habit: What Habits Help You Code? by kodewrita(m): 4:11pm On Dec 13, 2010
I have quite a lot of friends who code and they have a range of habits.

The most extreme guy has a habit of staying on his feet till he's finished (he's actually quite awesome, life's one big hackathon for that guy).

Another guy likes lounging in a room with rock music on earphones while banging away at the keyboard.

Mine's different, my mind is one big shouting hall and I cant code if I dont quiet my mind somehow. music doesnt help unless its one track set on repeat(with time , once I am in the flow, it just becomes background noise), preferably something inspiring like Originality by Faze or the Naruto Soundtrack or Dance for me by Duncan Mighty/Sandaz Black or something else.

I like coding slowly and then increasing the tempo as things become more logical.

I like listing out a long to-do list of features/modules and then steadily hacking away at each item one at a time.

Crunchy snacks break the flow unless its pringles.

Talking helps make the coding fast too. but its not easy when friends are around (you sound crazy chatting to yourself).

I code anywhere but a room with the TV off seems the best for me.

I like having lots of reference windows open (sorry I am not an uber coder yet, I still look through the reference to code)

I like writing funny comments in code. Funny comments like:
$this->user_monitor->track_spam(); 
// catch the effing bast**d grin

I like writing diaries of my coding.

What are your coding habits?
Re: Coding Habit: What Habits Help You Code? by paule: 4:33pm On Dec 13, 2010
Most of my friends code with music but my is different. i code in a quite room, infact i quarrel with my colleagues when they increase their music or remove their headset
Re: Coding Habit: What Habits Help You Code? by Thatdave(m): 2:15pm On Dec 14, 2010
I like talking to myself while coding.
It helps me do the debugging.

"If this user has upto $30 in his account.
Ask him to upgrade.
Shit! ! !
Why is it not asking?"

I don't like a break in coding,
So if I have an interesting TV program
I carry my lappy to the palour!
Slower coding when am watching the telly.
Slower coding when am living in school.

No time to think abt a girl friend.
I just start thinking about her when am with her.
The rest of the time?
- its the next module I wanna add to ma script.
When am inventing a new feature in my mind
I like to get up and start walking around the whole building!
With an eureka at the end!

DaveozoalorATgmail.com
PHP.
Re: Coding Habit: What Habits Help You Code? by kodewrita(m): 4:05pm On Dec 14, 2010
Thatdave:

I like talking to myself while coding.
It helps me do the debugging.

"If this user has upto $30 in his account.
Ask him to upgrade.
poo! ! !
Why is it not asking?"

I don't like a break in coding,
So if I have an interesting TV program
I carry my lappy to the palour!
Slower coding when am watching the telly.
Slower coding when am living in school.

No time to think abt a girl friend.
I just start thinking about her when am with her.
The rest of the time?
- its the next module I wanna add to ma script.
When am inventing a new feature in my mind
I like to get up and start walking around the whole building!
With an eureka at the end!

DaveozoalorATgmail.com
PHP.
I like walking too.

I do the talking too for debugging but sometimes i let the code do the talking. I insert echo statements everywhere and before you know it modules are screaming "User_Registration: Present Sir" all over the page.
Re: Coding Habit: What Habits Help You Code? by youngbobby(m): 8:04pm On Dec 18, 2010
Nice thread!

Most of my codings are done during the early hours or late hours of the day. One funny thing is that during this period, thats when any music really makes sense to me. Yea, i love music naturally but i noticed that any period other than those periods, i begin to loose the musical feeling sad but i use the other times to think and gather resources while my notepad is never off cos i use it to input my 'flying' thoughts on that project.

- youngbobby.com

(1) (Reply)

Using The Internet & Its Associated Tools (web2.0) To Prevent Crime / Software For This Project: Suggestions / Views The Fasted Growing Startup In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.