Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,233 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria (5547 Views)

10 Most Hospitable African Cities To Visit (Pictures) / The 10 Most Hospitable Cities In Africa / The Most Hospitable Clan In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by sukieboy(f): 12:10pm On Jun 01, 2007
Nigerians refer to the people that inhabit the River banks and the adjourning land of the Cross River estuary and creeks as "Calabars". They are the most hospitable people in Nigeria and even in African.
They are the most civilized by Culture and nature. WHat Nigerians call "The Calabar" comprise many ethnic nationalities (Ibibios, Orons, Efiks, Quas, Efuts, Anangs, yakurs,Mbembes,Ekoi, Ekets etc) with common heritage and ancestral roots  traceable to Central/southern African settlements with strong stains of ancient Egyptian residence and civilization.

They hosted the first Capital of Nigeria with great humility, that others are taking for granded and even  calling them names. A typical Calabar family always keep a spare room in their  home for visitors. Good food (Afang, Edikang Ikong, Ekpang iwe, iwuk abia, editan, Atama, Ndehi Iyak, Ifop Iwa, etc etc.) and hospitality (Ntimkama, uwem do ke TINAPA) abound and cannot be rivalled across africa.

Most loyal to friends, and loving to enemies. Always willing to help others in need. Peace loving even enough to loose their ancestral home (Bakassi) to the camerouns without violence, what a great people.

They have crude oil , yet no violence of any kind. they have taken to hardwork and enterprise to project the destiny of their land and not wait for oppressive (Major) majorities of the Nigerian state. No wonder they have excelled in so many ways above even the so called majorities by producing the first Plice IG Louis Edet, first commisioned Nigerian army officer (Sir Wellinton Bassey), first Governor of Central Bank (Dr. Clement Isong), first Nigerian Lawyer to be called to the queen's counsel and English Bar (late Chief Ebito) , Ministers, Governors, Teachers,etc etc.

Though, fourth largest Ethnic nationality in Nigeria, no one cares about their plight in the Nigerian state.

Like Udeme (Guiness TV Advert) there is a drop of GREATNESS in every CALABAR MAN!!!! smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by ghettochyk(f): 3:29pm On Jun 01, 2007
if you say so, then good for you! smiley
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by laudate: 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2007
sukieboy:

Nigerians refer to the people that inhabit the River banks and the adjourning land of the Cross River estuary and creeks as "Calabars". They are the most hospitable people in Nigeria and even in African.
They are the most civilized by Culture and nature. WHat Nigerians call "The Calabar" comprise many ethnic nationalities (Ibibios, Orons, Efiks, Quas, Efuts, Anangs, yakurs,Mbembes,Ekoi, Ekets etc) with common heritage and ancestral roots  traceable to Central/southern African settlements with strong stains of ancient Egyptian residence and civilization.

They hosted the first Capital of Nigeria with great humility, that others are taking for granded and even  calling them names. A typical Calabar family always keep a spare room in their  home for visitors. Good food (Afang, Edikang Ikong, Ekpang iwe, iwuk abia, editan, Atama, Ndehi Iyak, Ifop Iwa, etc etc.) and hospitality (Ntimkama, uwem do ke TINAPA) abound and cannot be rivalled across africa.

Most loyal to friends, and loving to enemies. Always willing to help others in need. Peace loving even enough to loose their ancestral home (Bakassi) to the camerouns without violence, what a great people.

They have crude oil , yet no violence of any kind. they have taken to hardwork and enterprise to project the destiny of their land and not wait for oppressive (Major) majorities of the Nigerian state. No wonder they have excelled in so many ways above even the so called majorities by producing the first Plice IG Louis Edet, first commisioned Nigerian army officer (Sir Wellinton Bassey), first Governor of Central Bank (Dr. Clement Isong), first Nigerian Lawyer to be called to the queen's counsel and English Bar (late Chief Ebito) , Ministers, Governors, Teachers,etc etc.

Though, fourth largest Ethnic nationality in Nigeria, no one cares about their plight in the Nigerian state.

Like Udeme (Guiness TV Advert) there is a drop of GREATNESS in every CALABAR MAN!!!! smiley smiley smiley

Hehehe, I agree with you jare, to a large extent!

From the little I have seen, their food is delicious, they are ever so willing to serve, they are quite courteous, highly respectful, decent and they hardly ever throw their weight around. Most of the Calabar people I have met, have been wonderful!! grin  grin
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by mohadana: 6:18pm On Jun 01, 2007
is laudate  from Cross River State.?
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by Bassey231(m): 7:02pm On Jun 02, 2007
When u say calabar,be vey specific.Do you mean Efiks from Calabar,Akpabuyo,Odukpani and Bakassi or are you referring to both Efiks and Akwa Ibom people.The Udeme you are talking about sef is not a calabar name.It is an Akwa Ibom name.The fact of the matter is that no real Calabar will be found doing all sorts of odd jobs accross cities and vilages in Naija-truck pushing,okada riding,serving in restaurants and bars,street husling and so on.The true calabar man is a unique person who lloves a homegrown environment and likes associating with uniqueness.A trip to The Canaan City of Calabar will convince you about what I'm saying.It's high time we know the "Akwa Ibom man" from the "Calabar man".But I do agree when you say we have contributed a lot to Nigeria,but in return we don't get our deserved respect.Our dishes are loved accross the nooks and crannies of this country,we are No1 as far as tourism in Nigeria is concerned,we are the most peaceful and fun loving Nigerians,an oil producing state,agriculturally viable state, just name it.No wonder the popular calabar(Efik) saying ; "Efik edi mbakara"
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 9:18pm On Jun 02, 2007
Don't worry, Mr Bassey, Sukieboy and all Calabarians.
Your respect is gaining great ground.People are begining to recognise Calabar as the place to be.
You should hear the good things people are saying about Calabar.
You guys have Donald Duke to thank for the new positive Image.
Wish every other place in Nigeria could brag like that.
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by Vicjustice: 10:00pm On Jun 02, 2007
Papabrowne, how you dey na? I viewed your photo, men, you look a real dude. Have you seen the last comment i posted in that controversial article post of your's? cool cool cool
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by uyai(f): 8:29pm On Jun 03, 2007
@ bassey231

Because of people like u division will continue to abound. Like the poster said " calabar" in nigeria means all those ethnic groups he mentioned. we were once together until politics didvided us. I wonder who serves in restaurants, drives okada or pushes truck in Cross river state since a "real calabar man" does not do that. Please answer ohoooo
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by uyai(f): 8:31pm On Jun 03, 2007
We are very nice people. Visitors are always welcomed in our mist. But a lot of people mistake our niceness for weakness hence all the stupid stereotypes.

1 Like

Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by Imani(f): 8:43pm On Jun 06, 2007
@topic

I guess i would have to find out this summer cool
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by sukieboy(f): 7:45pm On Sep 19, 2007
Nda Bassey,

Etie di dieh? History has it that a specialset of the Bantus migrated from today's southern Camerouns to the indetented coast of the Cross River estuary. permit me to say that the last point of migrational settlement in the area is now what people call Calabar Town.

Where did there present day inhabitants come from?
Who developed and form the then eastern state now Cross river and Akwa Ibom?
we are all one

There is dignity in labour. Whatever you genuienly do to earn a living and it does not go against the laws of the land and moral boundaries, my dear is good labour[b]. whether its , gateman, nightwatchman, house help , whatever. It takes a man of good conscience and determination, good upbringing to serve others[/b] and thats what I celebrate in a Calabar MAN
Thank You
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 6:09pm On Sep 20, 2007
@topic
i lived in calabar for a number of years and also schooled at the prestigious University of Calabar. i'm inclined to agree with you on most of the issues you raised but i would like you to modify the description "calabar people" to "good calabar people"

majority of those i met were okay, but there are others too who are not so hospitable. while they had the other qualities you described like honesty, humility et al, they were a bit hostile to "foreigners" especially ibos (of which i am proudly one) and surprisingly a lot of akwa ibomites were treated badly in calabar.

howerever, like i said, the overwhelming majority of those i met were good. and their girls. . . . . . pathway to paradise cheesy, their food. . . . . yummie cheesy the city very clean, they are not rich but they are happy people.

Calabar is the place to be. i hope the next governor wont spoil the city/state
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by PawPaw3(m): 10:30pm On Sep 20, 2007
Calabar is a nice place to be and your women are nice also. Hahaha
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by sukieboy(f): 5:45am On Oct 09, 2007
Folks!
Thanks so much for your nice and very wonderful contributions.
toshmann:

@topic
i lived in calabar for a number of years and also schooled at the prestigious University of Calabar. i'm inclined to agree with you on most of the issues you raised but i would like you to modify the description "calabar people" to "good calabar people"

majority of those i met were okay, but there are others too who are not so hospitable. while they had the other qualities you described like honesty, humility et al, they were a bit hostile to "foreigners" especially ibos (of which i am proudly one) and surprisingly a lot of akwa ibomites were treated badly in calabar.

howerever, like i said, the overwhelming majority of those i met were good. and their girls. . . . . . pathway to paradise cheesy, their food. . . . . yummie cheesy the city very clean, they are not rich but they are happy people.

Calabar is the place to be. i hope the next governor wont spoil the city/state
Yeah!!!!
Just like anywhere in the world.
The bad ones are always there. All the same, Thanks a lot and I hope you learned the "Ntikama" (Hospitality) smiley
Vicjustice:

Papabrowne, how you dey na? I viewed your photo, men, you look a real dude. Have you seen the last comment i posted in that controversial article post of your's? cool cool cool

Thanks so much for your kind words!
God Bless.
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by sukieboy(f): 6:02am On Oct 09, 2007
Calabar!! The Land of the wise.
I would like to tell some stories about some partof Southeastern that is Called The Calabars.
These stories might not be peculiar to Calabars. It is something that was widely practised by many Africans. This could set a trigger for a drama scripts anyway
The Killing Of Twins

Idua Assang, Iyamba, Ntekim, Okurune. This was the genealogy of the Idua people of Akpakip Oro (Oron) across the river from Calabar city.
At dusk, Aruk , the beloved wife of the younger brother to the king of Idua Assang ,gave birth to set two bouncing boys. "Mbubiam" (Abomination!!!!). She and the boys were to be killed and the land cleansed.

Aruk, was a good cook and the king had to bend the rules sine she was the only surving wife of the brother. She was sent to the jungle. the Hunband would take food to her there.
to be contd.
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 09, 2007
disagree with you angry angry are they more hospitable than than the Niger deltan sad angry
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by onila(f): 6:31pm On Oct 29, 2011
:d
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by OYINBOGOJU(m): 3:44am On Oct 30, 2011
@Poster

If you mean sexually then i concur ,if any other thing then i dispute.
Re: Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria by claremont(m): 8:34am On Oct 30, 2011
I wish I had an opportunity to spend a night with a Calabar lady, the experimental hypothesis that they are the best in bed is yet to be practically proven. It remains a myth. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Living Abroad, How Did You Move? Share Your Stories. / Bellview, ADC, Sosoliso Plane Crash Reports – (US Report) / Dear Friends, Has Anyone Got Student Visa To Canada Through Maple Education?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.