Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy (2949 Views)

DSS Operatives Involved In Armed Robbery In Abuja, Arrested / India Cops Arrest Nigerian Involved In Mango Seed Fraud / Photos: Two Men Injured After Being Involved In Sallah Bloodbath (Graphic pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by igbobuigbo: 1:21am On Dec 14, 2010
http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/kansas-university-let-go-nigerian-professor-involved-controversy-over-training-funds-niger

Authorities of Kansas University in Lawrence, KS, have fired a Nigerian-born professor Dr. Aminu Gusau at the center of a controversy over funds for the training of Nigerian legislators.

University spokesman Jack Martin confirmed to Saharareporters that [b]Dr. Aminu Gusau [/b]of the Department of African American Studies had resigned.

In June 2010, the university issued a rare public apology to two Nigerian officials over what the university described as the "unauthorized actions" of Mr. Gusau. In a press statement issued by Mr. Martin, the deputy director of communications, the university expressed regrets if the unauthorized actions of Gusau had in any way tarnished the two Nigerian officials.

Gusau had accused two top legislative aides of Goodluck Jonathan, Cairo Ojuogboh and Abba Aji (special advisers on the legislature), of scamming his university of $60,000.

In a widely publicized petition to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Gusau alleged that his university had an agreement with Abba-Aji and Ojuogboh that Nigeria would pay a total of $80,000 for Nigerian legislators participating in a seminar organized by Kansas University – at the rate of $4,000 for each participant. In shedding light on his deal with the two government officials, Mr. Gusau also stated in his petition that 20 Nigerian legislators were booked for the training program originally scheduled for September 2009 but later rescheduled to January 2010.

The petition further alleged that, while Abba-Aji and Ojuogboh remitted an advance payment of $20,000 to the institution, they failed to pay the balance even after the program had held in January.

Saharareporters had reported that a Nigerian member of the House of Representatives, Tuggar Yusuf Maitama, was deported from Amsterdam in January over terrorism concerns as he headed to the US. Also in January, Mr. Abba Aji's name featured on a list of Nigerian officials the US government had intended to ban from entering the US because of their individual roles in prolonging the political crisis occasioned by Yar’Adua’s illness.

Contacted by Saharareporters about Mr. Gusau's status with Kansas University, Jack Martin initially stated that the university does not disclose matters affecting its employees to the public, but later confirmed Gusau’s resignation.

Our reporter also called the university’s African American department headed by Peter Ukpokodu, another Nigerian-born professor. A staff member told Saharareporters that Mr. Gusau no longer works with the department.

However, the university indicated that it plans to retain a controversial program known as “The Marwa Africana Lecture Series”, which is funded through a financial gift made by Mohammed Buba Marwa, a former military governor of Lagos state and Nigeria’s current ambassador to South Africa. Mr. Marwa was named in the money laundering conviction of an Indian businessman named Raj Arjandas Bhojwani. Mr. Bhojwani was recently jailed in the Island of Jersey for money laundering activities involving Marwa.
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by igbobuigbo: 1:23am On Dec 14, 2010
Is this the first Nigerian prof to be fired for corruption in the USA?
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by Osama10(m): 1:27am On Dec 14, 2010
It runs in the blood.
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by strangerf: 1:28am On Dec 14, 2010
^^^

I concur

Igbo thiefs!

419ers par excellence!
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by igbobuigbo: 1:33am On Dec 14, 2010
strangerf:

^^^

I concur

Igbo thiefs!

419ers par excellence!

Mr. Tabula rasa, is Gusau Igbo? And what sort of grammar is thiefs? Thieves??
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by DapoBear(m): 1:33am On Dec 14, 2010
Wish this sort of thing would stop happening. . . these fraudsters are making it harder for Nigerians  undecided
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by aljharem(m): 1:35am On Dec 14, 2010
igbobuigbo:

the man is not igbo no yoruba but a northerner sha angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

watch ur post before u post it angry angry
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by yarodin: 1:38am On Dec 14, 2010
lol Arewa has been represented. Probably we don't hear much about Hausa fraud because they based in Middle Eastern Countries like Saudi Arabia.
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by jason12345: 1:41am On Dec 14, 2010
the topic said "nigerian professor" not hausa professor. it shows that what affect anyone of us affects everyone off us.
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by yarodin: 1:43am On Dec 14, 2010
Nigerian with Hausa/Fulani name tongue
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by aljharem(m): 1:45am On Dec 14, 2010
yarodin:

but he represent nigeria angry angry
jason12345:

the topic said "nigerian professor" not hausa professor. it shows that what affect anyone of us affects everyone off us.

gbamm
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by strangerf: 1:50am On Dec 14, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Ode

Hausa people are honest hardworking people, with no intellect to cheat whatsoever

The guy is prolly Igbo using Hausa name to commit crime, like they always do.
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by Blazay(m): 1:51am On Dec 14, 2010
“The Marwa Africana Lecture Series”, which is funded through a financial gift made by Mohammed Buba Marwa, a former military governor of Lagos state and Nigeria’s current ambassador to South Africa. Mr. Marwa was named in the money laundering conviction of an Indian businessman named Raj Arjandas Bhojwani. Mr. Bhojwani was recently jailed in the Island of Jersey for money laundering activities involving Marwa.

See what crap Nigerians waste money on?

Gusau had accused two top legislative aides of Goodluck Jonathan, Cairo Ojuogboh and Abba Aji (special advisers on the legislature), of scamming his university of $60,000.

Arrantus Nonsensicus!So who is the thief in this story? undecided
I smell a cover-up.

The petition further alleged that, while Abba-Aji and Ojuogboh remitted an advance payment of $20,000 to the institution, they failed to pay the balance even after the program had held in January.

So, let me get this.

Dr. Aminu was forced to resign because he stepped on the wrong toes as a whistle blower(unauthorized actions against the University)?
The university did not want to lose the rest of the 'gift funds' being sponsored by daft Nigerian illiterates of the "Marwa" dispensation and proceeded to apologize and pocket the half payment.

Mu he he he he

When you fight corruption. . . corruption fights back. grin

Saharareporters had reported that a Nigerian member of the House of Representatives, Tuggar Yusuf Maitama, was deported from Amsterdam in January over terrorism concerns as he headed to the US. Also in January, Mr. Abba Aji's name featured on a list of Nigerian officials the US government had intended to ban from entering the US because of their individual roles in prolonging the political crisis occasioned by Yar’Adua’s illness.

Until money changed hands.

Well done Kansas University. cheesy
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by Omenani(m): 1:54am On Dec 14, 2010
strangerf,

You entire being disturbs me. Can you just shut up for once? The smallest people talk the biggest crap. Just shut up and stop being a troll.
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by yarodin: 1:55am On Dec 14, 2010
strangerf:

Ode

Hausa people are honest hardworking people, with no intellect to cheat whatsoever

Honestly if you believe the rubbish you just wrote then you are a true "OTUOLE".
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by Osama10(m): 1:57am On Dec 14, 2010
This thing has turn tribal now.
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by strangerf: 1:57am On Dec 14, 2010
Omenani:

strangerf,

You entire being disturbs me. Can you just shut up for once? The smallest people talk the biggest crap. Just shut up and stop being a troll.

Save yourself further headaches; join the Biafran Army

And you know what we do to them, right?

Just to be clear, we dont shoot them, we STARVE THEM TO DEATH!
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by DapoBear(m): 1:57am On Dec 14, 2010
guys, you should be able to tell by now that @fstranger is joking
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by jason12345: 1:57am On Dec 14, 2010
strangerf:

Ode

calm down na undecided. must igbos commit all the crimes what about the yorubas undecided what about the hausas in this case? relax on this igbo hatred
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by igbobuigbo: 1:58am On Dec 14, 2010
strangerf:

Ode

Notice his northern tribal marks in the photo

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/kansas-university-let-go-nigerian-professor-involved-controversy-over-training-funds-niger

Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by jason12345: 1:59am On Dec 14, 2010
DapoBear:

i hope so but he needs to get serious at times undecided
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by strangerf: 2:04am On Dec 14, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Notice his northern tribal marks in the photo

Look at his smile, Emeagwali-like

Mehn, This guy is Igbo through and through.

I just don't trust these people.

Igbo people will go to any length to commit a crime.

Whatever type of crime they set their mind on, nothing can stop them; remember Ojukwu sacrificing his kinsmen for his selfish ambition?
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by Blazay(m): 2:11am On Dec 14, 2010
^^^

See Ivy League NL dunce? cheesy

Always derailing threads.

At least we now know why the thread was started. Just to show one Hausa-Fulani name in the diaspora invoved in a corruption scandal.

The usual 'Daffy Ducks" of NL did not even bother to read the contents of the article in detail.
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by Omenani(m): 2:12am On Dec 14, 2010
DapoBear:

Who cares if he is joking, the man is disrupting a discussion. Which makes me sick. It is best not to feed the troll. People cannot have good discussions on the Politics section of NL, because of people like him.
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by strangerf: 2:20am On Dec 14, 2010
Blazay:

^^^
See Ivy League NL dunce? cheesy

At least we now know why the thread was started. Just to show one Hausa-Fulani name in the diaspora invoved in a corruption scandal.

The usual 'Daffy Ducks" of NL did not even bother to read the contents of the article in detail.

Obviously, we live in a world apart.
I don't do details. I do odds.

If I was told that someone is experiencing a heart attack, the odds favor an older guy, not a younger person like you.

Once I concluded that the thread involves academic dishonesty, playing the odds, I concluded that the perpetrator must be Igbo, since that is their area of expertise.

I may be wrong, but I am damn sure that this guy has some Igbo DNA in his genome.

Either ways, he is Igbo. 1% igbo is still Igbo;after all IGBO BU IGBO
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by jason12345: 2:22am On Dec 14, 2010
strangerf:

Obviously, we live in a world apart.
I don't do details. I do odds.

If I was told that someone is experiencing a heart attack, the odds favor an older guy, not a younger person like you.

Once I concluded that the thread involves academic dishonesty, playing the odds, I concluded that the perpetrator must be Igbo, since that is their area of expertise.

I may be wrong, but I am damn sure that this guy has some Igbo DNA in his genome.

Either ways, he is Igbo. 1% igbo is still Igbo.

can you relax? angry you are derailing this discussion
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by Blazay(m): 2:29am On Dec 14, 2010
@ Igbobuigbo,

You need to change the title of your thread and stop disgracing yourself with adult illiteracy and geriatric delinquency syndrome.
Did you read the article before posting it at all? undecided

Osama10:

This thing has turn tribal now.

Please, correct that.
Typos are ok. . . but bad tenses and grammatical errors are not acceptable.
Or you may want to write in your indigenous lingua franca of Afghanistan.
Thank you.
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by strangerf: 2:34am On Dec 14, 2010
^^^
Blazay lemme help him:

This thing has turn[b]ed[/b] tribal now.
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by Blazay(m): 2:35am On Dec 14, 2010
^^^

Thanks. cheesy

Now, stop derailing threads. . . !!!
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by strangerf: 2:38am On Dec 14, 2010
Blazay:

@ Igbobuigbo,

You need to change the title of your thread and stop disgracing yourself with adult illiteracy and geriatric delinquency syndrome.
Did you read the thread before posting it at all? undecided

Please, correct that.
[b]Typos are ok. . . but bad tenses and grammatical errors are not acceptable.
Or you may want to write in your indigenous lingua franca.[/b]Thank you.

Ode!
He is an Aboki like you!

Prolly low-class Almajiri, unlike you, middle-class Aboki!
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by igbobuigbo: 2:45am On Dec 14, 2010
Blazay:

@ Igbobuigbo,

Did you read the thread before posting it at all? undecided

What is wrong with the title? Was the man not involved in funds controversy and was he not fired for that according to Sahara reporters?
Re: Kansas University Fires Nigerian Professor Involved In Funds Controversy by Blazay(m): 2:54am On Dec 14, 2010
^^^

Fine.

igbobuigbo:

Is this the first Nigerian prof to be fired for corruption in the USA?

If you say so.
Then comprehension may be the problem on this thread and with the usual participants, I am not surprised at all.
Semi-illiterate Southerners.

yarodin:

I givvup.

If you say so.
Then comprehension may be the problem.

(1) (2) (Reply)

South African Rugby Player Murders 3 Men Who Despoiled & Gave His Daughter Hiv / Meet The Biggest Nigerian Fraudster In History Who “sold An Airport” For $242m / Nigerians React As Unclad Lady Reduce In Size After Alighting From A Car In Ajah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.